English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 December 2012, 14:54   #1
hot trout
Webmaster

GBS-8220, 23DB Connectors and Leads

Firstly I just want to say sorry for asking all this again. I know this has been covered quite a long time ago and I have been reading all the threads here that I could find on the subject. I just wanted to ask some questions fresh to make sure it is still the current line of thinking.

1. Is the GBS-8220 still the best board to use for running old Amigas on modern monitors?

2. Is this still a 'build your own' project or does anyone sell these already made up?

3. Can someone supply the required Amiga to GBS-8220 lead already made up or do I need to make my own?

4. If making my own can anyone sell me or show me where to buy a D23 Female connector and hood?

Maybe this is all old news now and some members have a better solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 07 December 2012, 17:54   #2
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot trout View Post
1. Is the GBS-8220 still the best board to use for running old Amigas on modern monitors?
No, that would be the Indivision series. However the GBS's are great boards for their cost.. I'm pretty happy with the one I have.

Quote:
2. Is this still a 'build your own' project or does anyone sell these already made up?
I've seen them sold on e-bay as complete a few times, but I'm not aware of anyone who's consistently making them. So "build your own" as far as I know.

Quote:
3. Can someone supply the required Amiga to GBS-8220 lead already made up or do I need to make my own?
I'm sure you can ask around. You can ask here and/or on Amibay and might be able to find someone. If you know anyone who can solder, it's really easy. Just 5 wires.

Quote:
4. If making my own can anyone sell me or show me where to buy a D23 Female connector and hood?
Amigamaniac was selling them (I got mine from him) and I've seen them posted on Amibay...

I'm actually surprised that Amigamaniac or some of the other guys aren't offering this as a "service/package" yet....
But it's really not that hard to do... Even I did it.. ;-)

desiv
Old 07 December 2012, 18:20   #3
kipper2k

Quote:
Firstly I just want to say sorry for asking all this again. I know this has been covered quite a long time ago and I have been reading all the threads here that I could find on the subject. I just wanted to ask some questions fresh to make sure it is still the current line of thinking.

Maybe this is all old news now and some members have a better solution?

Thanks in advance for any help.
I have the pinout for this board, and also some 23 pin connectors and hoods, i can post the pinout to you later this weekend
Old 07 December 2012, 18:32   #4
amiman99

The converter is labeled pretty good
All pins are on Amiga side:

PIN 3 RED
PIN 4 GREEN
PIN 5 BLUE
PIN 10 CSYNC
PIN 19 GND

Edit: one more thing, if things don't work, press the "Auto" button, to find the signal.
Old 07 December 2012, 19:07   #5
hot trout
Webmaster

Thank you guys for your responses and also desiv for your straight talking answers. Good to know that this board is still the way to do things. I am now happy to order one of the GBS-8220 boards from ebay and hopefully kipper will be able to send me a connector and hood in exchange for some paypal cash.

Can I ask, do you guys make the lead up by cutting the end off an existing VGA lead or do you solider straight onto the board?

I ask because I want to be able to disconnect the Amiga and connect other old computers EGA and consoles etc as well.

If anyone has any images of their projects that would be a help.

Many many thanks already.

p.s. Is this the board I need?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1809119379...84.m1423.l2649
Old 07 December 2012, 19:57   #6
desiv

Quote:
Can I ask, do you guys make the lead up by cutting the end off an existing VGA lead or do you solider straight onto the board?
No, no messing with VGA at all.
The GBS has a VGA plug (or 2 if you get the 8220) and you just plug a cable from that to the monitor.
There is also a header that goes to the Amiga.
The GBS (at least mine and all I've heard about) comes with a plug for that header with some wires. I just soldered the the 23-pin plug to the end of those wires and was good to go.

Quote:
I ask because I want to be able to disconnect the Amiga and connect other old computers EGA and consoles etc as well.
Not sure about EGA. Haven't looked into that.
But you could either just get multiple headers and solder different ends on those, or you could go from the header to a plug you make. Then from the plug you make, you can have different cables going for different machines and just plug in the one you want at the time.
I know at least someone did that for his case for it. Not that he's using multiple machines, but he went from the header to a plug in his case. Then his Amiga cable went from the DB23 to the a plug end for his case.

I'm only using my Amiga, so I haven't tried that.
I am using the VGA end on a KVM tho. So my monitor is for my Amiga, or my PC or the 2nd monitor for my work laptop. (and one free for project PCs)

Quote:
Not sure about the seller or anything, but that looks like an 8220.
I think the only difference between the 8200 and the 8220 is the 2nd VGA port, which I believe is just for cloning (the same image would be on both screens). I have an 8200 and it works fine..

desiv
Old 07 December 2012, 22:58   #7
amiman99

I want to add something...
I put mine GBS in a standard box and wired the input to 9pin connector and made it compatible to 1084 monitor pin out.
I can use standard Amiga monitor cable with my box, no need to hunt down hard to find connectors.
See pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amiga -gbs diagram.jpg
Views:	2309
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	33365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3860.jpg
Views:	3410
Size:	483.3 KB
ID:	33366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3861.jpg
Views:	4131
Size:	509.9 KB
ID:	33367   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3862s.jpg
Views:	2937
Size:	373.2 KB
ID:	33368  
Old 07 December 2012, 23:22   #8
hot trout
Webmaster

A very good idea and I was thinking of somehting similar myself. Can I ask why the blue input provided just in front of the header can not be used?

What type of connector is it?
Old 07 December 2012, 23:37   #9
amiman99

The VGA input you see is for 31khz video input.
For 15khz input, you need to use provided cable and use composite sync. Also, you can use the connector with 5 pins (R, G, B, GND S) with Amiga.
Old 08 December 2012, 00:54   #10
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

have a look here too

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...hlight=gbs8220
Old 08 December 2012, 10:32   #11
hot trout
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
The VGA input you see is for 31khz video input.
For 15khz input, you need to use provided cable and use composite sync. Also, you can use the connector with 5 pins (R, G, B, GND S) with Amiga.
Thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense now. Looking forward now to getting this little project up and running.
Old 17 December 2012, 05:55   #12
Johan1973

Thanks for bringing this subject up again, I have been looking to order one of these to just test around, and as I was going to research the subject, I find this thread where I get a quick answer. It is the next best thing to Indivision.

Since I do hardware builds, I will make some nice box for it. If you have problems figuring out how to wire it, I can make a guide, but it is fairly simple. Or I can do the wiring for you, as long as you pay for parts and shipment back to you.

To make Make it possible to use all screen modes, I figured I would just wire up a VGA cable along side the cable that feeds the board, and connect it to the VGA input. However, I just have to ask, does the board auto switch between inputs, or can you manually select which input that should be used?
Old 17 December 2012, 08:37   #13
johnim
Amibay Mod/Staff

hi

Quote:
can you manually select which input that should be used?
a switch for manually select which input
Old 17 December 2012, 10:22   #14
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

be careful with EGA.. most of them output digital signals (TTL) which may not be compatible with that 82x0 thing..
Old 17 December 2012, 13:49   #15
Johan1973

That is good then. It wont flip out because I wire it up to be able to run 31khz modes as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnim View Post
hi

a switch for manually select which input
Old 18 December 2012, 11:29   #16
hot trout
Webmaster

Johan,

Instead of me buying the parts on ebay and making it, would you be interested in making another for me and I will pay you instead?

I also want to repeat that I also found the help here superb, my questions were answered very quickly and professionally. Thank you all.
Old 18 December 2012, 14:18   #17
Johan1973

I have checked around, and there is some interest in having these built. So I will order one and see what I can do, find a good design. Then I will buy some more boards and do some of these to sell, will not be expensive, parts + shipping + small fee for the work of soldering and working on the boxes to install the boards. I will post a message on this forum when the boxes will be available.
Old 18 December 2012, 14:36   #18
hot trout
Webmaster

Get in. Looking forward to this. Only problems is I might not be able to wait.
Old 18 December 2012, 14:38   #19
Johan1973

Quote:
Get in. Looking forward to this. Only problems is I might not be able to wait.
I understand you. I will see if I can order two boards for prototyping then. If the design turns out ok, I can sell you one rather quickly. The longest delay will be delivery of the boards to me.

Biggest issue will be finding 23 Pin Dsub connectors. I can always cut 25 pins to 23pins, but that does not look so nice.

Last edited by Johan1973; 18 December 2012 at 14:43.
Old 18 December 2012, 17:18   #20
Johan1973

Hot Trout: It might be best if you go ahead and get yours from where you can get it the quickest, because delivery time will be rather long. About a month and a half before I have the boards, and then about a week or so to make the prototypes.