English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 20 April 2018, 05:16   #141
dalek

wow - totally in awe of how much work and care you've put in to this. Looking forward to giving the beta a go
Old 20 April 2018, 09:29   #142
cyberhead97

Quote:
wow - totally in awe of how much work and care you've put in to this. Looking forward to giving the beta a go
Thanks dalek, looking forward for some feedback .

I have created a 16gb self install image ready for download at http://hstwb.firstrealize.com and direct link is here https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/h....2.0-beta3.zip.
Old 20 April 2018, 15:32   #143
RoC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberhead97 View Post
All comments and suggestions are very welcome.

I don't know if it's wise to change the default tooltype of BetterWB's HDToolbox from scsi.device to uaehf.device. For HDToolbox uses I personally use Amiga OS 3.9, which shown a prompt asking which device (lists both scsi.device and uaehf.device for selection) to use before starting to initialize and prepare a harddrive.
I see the point. No big deal changing manually though on earlier version of the OS like the 3.1

Quote:
I will build a v1.2.0-BETA3 16gb self install image tonight and make it available for download. 16gb seems to be required to install all WHDLoad demos, games incl. beta and demos.
Superb. Thank you very much indeed!
Old 08 May 2018, 07:08   #144
Nounouss33

Quote:

I have created a 16gb self install image ready for download at http://hstwb.firstrealize.com and direct link is here https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/h....2.0-beta3.zip.
Quote:

Hi Cyberhead,
First thanks a lot for your incredible work !
I'm pretty new to Amiga and i'm trying to figure out how to use the 16gb self install image (eventhough i've read all existing readme files).
Basically,
1) I'm running Windows 10 64bits and i have installed (and run once) latest stable Winuae 32 bits version
2) I have unzipped the 16gb file in C:\temp
3) Since I managed to download retroplay demo and games/beta games from the FTP site, I have put all respective subdirectories in
C:\Temp\UserPackages\eab-whdload-demos
C:\Temp\UserPackages\eab-whdload-games
C:\Temp\UserPackages\eab-whdload-games_beta
So,
in C:\Temp\UserPackages\eab-whdload-demos i have subdirectories called "#","A",..."Z" and in each of them the corresponding lha files
in C:\Temp\UserPackages\eab-whdload-games i have subdirectories called "#","A",..."Z" and in each of them the corresponding lha files
in C:\Temp\UserPackages\eab-whdload-games_beta i have lha files at this root directory

Of course, at this state, _installdir files which come with this 16gb self image are in place and untouched.

4) I have also the very last version of AmigaForever installed

Now according to the readme file which comes with this 16gb self installed image, it's not clear to me if i shoudl go for the following steps :

1) - in C:\Temp\UserPackages, should i run "build_eab_whdload_install.cmd" ? It looks like to me i should but i'm not sure. If i run it, should i then remove the install scripts from C:\Temp\UserPackages ?
2) - Should i myself create kickstart and workbench directories and copy kickstart and workbench files from Amiga forever ? Or should i run install_uae_config.cmd ? This is not clear to me, because
when running "install_uae_config.cmd" I noticed both directories were created, and files were copied in kickstart and workbench directories, but workbench install adf file was missing (and the install failed).
In "install_uae_config_readme.txt" which comes with the 16gb file, it's written :

=================================
1. Double-click "install_uae_config.cmd" in Windows Explorer or run
"install_uae_config.ps1" from Powershell to patch and install WinUAE and FS-UAE
config files.
Workbench 3.1 adf files and Kickstart rom files are automatically copied from
Cloanto Amiga Forever, if it's installed.
2. For HstWB self install image, copy Workbench 3.1 adf files to Workbench directory,
Kickstart rom files to Kickstart directory and copy Amiga OS 3.9 iso (must be
named "amigaos3.9.iso") and boing bag 1 & 2 to OS39 directory, if installing
Amiga OS 3.9.
3. Double-click "install_uae_config.cmd" in Windows Explorer or run
config files with updated Kickstart and OS39 directories.
4. WinUAE and FS-UAE now has a hstwb-installer configuration ready to use.
=================================
So for this pre-made 16gb image, which step applies ?
do i have to proceed with 1,2,3 or only 2 ? or 2,3 ?
It's not clear to me why install_uae_config.cmd should be run twice.

As far as i understood this script is meant for 2 purposes :
- create directories and Copy kickstart and workbench to these directories
- Propagate the UAE configuration to Winuae.

So far it looks like to me i should
1) Create kickstart and workbench directories by myself
2) Copy kickstart and workbench files to theses directories by myself.

Can you please clarify ?

- The issue i got with missing workbenck install adf, i fixed by copying the missing files from my AmigaForever ISO file.
- However i could not fix this issue : When launching the installation in winuae (by clicking on hstwb-installer.uae), USERPACKAGES could not be found [I had previously run build_eab_whdload_install.cmd and files had be found successfully]
All other packages could be installed except USERPACKAGES.

So it's not clear to me when i did wrong.

Will try again and again, but if you could clarify what is exactly to be done when using this 16gig pre-made image, that would be very helpfull !

Thanks !
Old 08 May 2018, 09:14   #145
Nounouss33

Quote:

-Actually i have figured out why not all workbench files were copied : md5 value was different (probably because i'm using the most recent Amiga forever). So i modified md5 values in the script and it works.
-Now when it comes to UserPackages this is the exact issue :
1) In the Device names status screen i have this :
WORKBENCHDIR : Present !
KICKSTARTDIR : Present !
USERPACKAGESDIR : Present !
===> So it looks like ok. However after pressing ENTER to continue i get this :
2) Finding user packages in USERPACKAGESDIR :
list : unknown command
sed: can't open T: _userpackages1
done

No user packages found, skipping user package installation

And here i am. Despite having run the powershell script which is in C:\Temp\UserPackages directory, The installation of games/demos is bypassed

If you can help that would be much appreciated !
Old 08 May 2018, 22:35   #146
cyberhead97

Quote:
Now according to the readme file which comes with this 16gb self installed image, it's not clear to me if i shoudl go for the following steps :

1) - in C:\Temp\UserPackages, should i run "build_eab_whdload_install.cmd" ? It looks like to me i should but i'm not sure. If i run it, should i then remove the install scripts from C:\Temp\UserPackages ?
2) - Should i myself create kickstart and workbench directories and copy kickstart and workbench files from Amiga forever ? Or should i run install_uae_config.cmd ? This is not clear to me, because
when running "install_uae_config.cmd" I noticed both directories were created, and files were copied in kickstart and workbench directories, but workbench install adf file was missing (and the install failed).
In "install_uae_config_readme.txt" which comes with the 16gb file, it's written :
You need to run "build_eab_whdload_install.cmd" to build install scripts for each directory "eab-whdload-demos", "eab-whdload-games" and "eab-whdload-games_beta". When it's finished you should see a Install sub directory in each of these folders. Re-running it will only overwrite the install scripts, so it should not do any harm.

Quote:
config files.
Workbench 3.1 adf files and Kickstart rom files are automatically copied from
Cloanto Amiga Forever, if it's installed.
2. For HstWB self install image, copy Workbench 3.1 adf files to Workbench directory,
Kickstart rom files to Kickstart directory and copy Amiga OS 3.9 iso (must be
Amiga OS 3.9.
3. Double-click "install_uae_config.cmd" in Windows Explorer or run
config files with updated Kickstart and OS39 directories.
4. WinUAE and FS-UAE now has a hstwb-installer configuration ready to use.
This is a bit confusing, sorry. Step 3 doesn't make sense and can be skipped. The updated version should be:
    "install_uae_config.ps1" from Powershell to patch and install WinUAE and FS-UAE config files. This automatically detects Amiga Forever and copies Workbench 3.1 adf and Kickstart rom files from it to Workbench and Kickstart directories.
  2. If Amiga Forever is not installed, then copy Workbench 3.1 adf files to Workbench directory,
    Kickstart rom files to Kickstart directory. Copy Amiga OS 3.9 iso (must be
    Amiga OS 3.9.
  3. WinUAE and FS-UAE now has a hstwb-installer configuration ready to use.

I probably need to update "install_uae_config.cmd" to detect the latest Amiga Forever 7 Workbench 3.1 adf files. It actually a bit annoying that these adf files keep changing with each Amiga Forever release.

Quote:
2) Finding user packages in USERPACKAGESDIR :
list : unknown command
sed: can't open T: _userpackages1
done
Darn, this is a bug I hit my self and it has been fixed within the last few days.

I will make a new 16gb self install image tomorrow with the fixes included, so it will be a v1.2.0-BETA4 release.

I have also replaced some binaries for UAE4ARM and Amiberry JIT compatibility.
Old 09 May 2018, 04:46   #147
Nounouss33

Quote:
You need to run "build_eab_whdload_install.cmd" to build install scripts for each directory "eab-whdload-demos", "eab-whdload-games" and "eab-whdload-games_beta". When it's finished you should see a Install sub directory in each of these folders. Re-running it will only overwrite the install scripts, so it should not do any harm.

This is a bit confusing, sorry. Step 3 doesn't make sense and can be skipped. The updated version should be:
    "install_uae_config.ps1" from Powershell to patch and install WinUAE and FS-UAE config files. This automatically detects Amiga Forever and copies Workbench 3.1 adf and Kickstart rom files from it to Workbench and Kickstart directories.
  2. If Amiga Forever is not installed, then copy Workbench 3.1 adf files to Workbench directory,
    Kickstart rom files to Kickstart directory. Copy Amiga OS 3.9 iso (must be
    Amiga OS 3.9.
  3. WinUAE and FS-UAE now has a hstwb-installer configuration ready to use.

I probably need to update "install_uae_config.cmd" to detect the latest Amiga Forever 7 Workbench 3.1 adf files. It actually a bit annoying that these adf files keep changing with each Amiga Forever release.

Darn, this is a bug I hit my self and it has been fixed within the last few days.

I will make a new 16gb self install image tomorrow with the fixes included, so it will be a v1.2.0-BETA4 release.

I have also replaced some binaries for UAE4ARM and Amiberry JIT compatibility.
Thanks a lot for your quick answer ! I will be happy to test it !
By the way, is it expected that the 8G image delivered in BETA3 comes with old USER PACKAGES names (instead of the new ones) ?
Games_WHDLoad
Games_WHDLoad_AGA
Games_WHDLoad_UnpackOnAmiga
Demos_WHDLoad
Demos_WHDLoad_UnpackOnAmiga

instead of

"eab-whdload-demos", "eab-whdload-games" and "eab-whdload-games_beta" ?

I guess you have decided to definitly switch to the new RetroPlay packages isn't it ?

I have others questions "newbie" question (if you can answer) :

1) Considering we are either installing OS 3.9 or OS3.1, what is provided by other classical workbenchs ? - does it make sense, for example, to install all other classical workbench on top of 3.9 and 3.1, and in that case, which workbench is active by default ?

2) You said images where created with OS 3.9, so shouldn't we go for 3.9 OS install ?

3) I hardly figure out what differs from the self installing images you deliver and images created using the templates, can you please clarify ? Sorry these are really newbie questions

Thanks again for your great work !
Old 09 May 2018, 09:01   #148
cyberhead97

Thanks for your questions Nounouss33. All questions are welcome.

Quote:
By the way, is it expected that the 8G image delivered in BETA3 comes with old USER PACKAGES names (instead of the new ones) ?
Games_WHDLoad
Games_WHDLoad_AGA
Games_WHDLoad_UnpackOnAmiga
Demos_WHDLoad
Demos_WHDLoad_UnpackOnAmiga
Sort of... I created the 4gb and 8gb self install images before creating the new Build EAB WHDLoad Install scripts to support Retroplay's new packages. This was only included in the 16gb self install image.

Quote:
1) Considering we are either installing OS 3.9 or OS3.1, what is provided by other classical workbenchs ? - does it make sense, for example, to install all other classical workbench on top of 3.9 and 3.1, and in that case, which workbench is active by default ?
ClassicWB provides a good setup with software commenly used and has some optimizations. For example Amiga OS 3.9 or 3.1 doesn't come with archive tools like lha, lzx, unzip or disk managers like Directory Opus. You have to install these yourself or use one of the ClassicWB packages. None of these are active by default, you have to pick the one that fits your needs, which is defined by your Amiga. for eaxmple ClassicWB LITE is good for an unexpanded A1200 and Classic ADV is good for an expanded fast ram. The created images can be written to CD/SD cards or harddisks used in real Amiga hardware, therefore there is a lot of options available. You can read more about the different ClassicWB packages here http://classicwb.abime.net/. If you going to use an emulated setup, then I would pick Amiga OS 3.9 and optionally install ClassicWB 3.9 on top of it.

Quote:
2) You said images where created with OS 3.9, so shouldn't we go for 3.9 OS install ?
The main reason for creating images with Amiga OS 3.9 is to have correct sizes shown when partitioning images that are larger than 4GB. Images created with Amiga OS 3.9 works fine with 3.1 as the RDB (similar to FAT table) is the same. Another reason for not installing Amiga OS 3.9, is to support creating images for e.g. unexpanded A600 or A1200, which could be used to run some WHDLoad demos or games.

Quote:
3) I hardly figure out what differs from the self installing images you deliver and images created using the templates, can you please clarify ? Sorry these are really newbie questions
The self install images I have created and made available for download, makes it easy to get Amiga OS 3.9 or 3.1 installed by just supplying iso or adf files and selecting which packages to install. The image templates are blank and doesn't conatins anything. HstWB Installer can then be used to either install or build self install on top of these image templates. Install mode installs Amiga OS and packages directly making the result ready for use. Problem is that installed images contains copyrighted material in form of Amiga OS and Kickstart roms, which can't be shared with the public for download due to legal issues. Therefore I created the self install, which makes a self install where the user only has to supply the copyrighted material. It's the same scripts used for install and self install, so the end result should be the same.
Old 09 May 2018, 15:10   #149
cyberhead97

I have managed to get EAB WHDLoad menu packages updated as well, so they include screenshot and detail for new demo and game WHDLoads in Retroplays new packages.

These will be included in HstWB Installer v1.2.0-BETA4 release.
Old 09 May 2018, 21:11   #150
pixSCN

Thanks for all the great work! Been using HstWB Installer for quite a while now on my MiST. Love it!

However, I just ordered an ACA500Plus for my A500. So I went about setting up a new HDF file for it, using the 1.2.0-BETA3 release, but I ran into some problems. Might be something weird at my end, though.

After making the HDF-file (16GB), with the OCS packages for both games and demos, I tested the HDF file in WinUAE, but DH1 was not present. I tried a few times, to no avail, both with and without packages. Never got any error messages during the install process, though. I did manage to get DH1 to show up once, by launching DOPUS via the ABS menu, and then type mount dh1: in the CLI.

I tried making the same kind of HDF file, with the exact same settings, via the self install image. Everything worked fine. Any ideas what might have gone wrong in the first place?

PS: There's an error message when I quit the AGS menu: "Can't subtract DH1:Menus/AGSGames from AGS". I haven't altered anything. Just a plain install (self install image, with BetterWB and HstWB), with the OCS menu items for both demos and games. Games and demos copied over manually.

Last edited by pixSCN; 09 May 2018 at 21:17.
Old 11 May 2018, 22:50   #151
cyberhead97

HstWB Installer v1.2.0-BETA4 is now available for download at http://hstwb.firstrealize.com. There's 4GB, 8GB and 16GB self install images together with HstWB Installer as portable zip or msi installer.

It fixes the following issues:
  1. List error when running self install image validating user packages as one of the first steps.
  2. UAE4ARM and Amiberry crashes and Lha crc errors with JIT enabled. Lha has been updated from v2.15 to v2.2 and MD5SUM replaced with MD5, which is my first C program for Amiga OS based on MD5 source code from aminet. I needed a 68000 alternate version, which I could not find.
  3. Install UAE Config script has been updated to properly detect Cloanto Amiga Forever 7 Amiga OS 3.1 install and workbench disk.
  4. Updated confusing part of Install UAE Config readme.

It has updates for following package, which now supports latest updated from Retroplays WHDLoad packs incl. beta and unreleased games:
  1. EAB WHDLoad Demos AGA Menu Package.
  2. EAB WHDLoad Demos OCS Menu Package.
  3. EAB WHDLoad Games AGA Menu Package.
  4. EAB WHDLoad Games OCS Menu Package.

Remember to download Retroplays WHDLoad packs and run Build EAB WHDLoad Install script in "userpackages" directory before starting self install to get demos and games installed.

Quote:
After making the HDF-file (16GB), with the OCS packages for both games and demos, I tested the HDF file in WinUAE, but DH1 was not present. I tried a few times, to no avail, both with and without packages. Never got any error messages during the install process, though. I did manage to get DH1 to show up once, by launching DOPUS via the ABS menu, and then type mount dh1: in the CLI.

I tried making the same kind of HDF file, with the exact same settings, via the self install image. Everything worked fine. Any ideas what might have gone wrong in the first place?
I'm not sure whats causing this and need more details to investigate the issue: Image selected, packages selected, emulator used, etc. At best a description of how to reproduce it.

I recommend to use the latest stable version of WinUAE v3.6.1 without knowing which version was used.

Quote:
PS: There's an error message when I quit the AGS menu: "Can't subtract DH1:Menus/AGSGames from AGS". I haven't altered anything. Just a plain install (self install image, with BetterWB and HstWB), with the OCS menu items for both demos and games. Games and demos copied over manually.
The "can't subtract" errors usually occurs with Kickstart rom 3.0 or lower. HstWB requires Kickstart rom 3.1, but may work with Kickstart rom 3.0. The same goes for ClassicWB.

Last edited by cyberhead97; 11 May 2018 at 23:07. Reason: Updated list of issues fixed
Old 11 May 2018, 23:22   #152
RoC

Quote:
HstWB Installer v1.2.0-BETA4 is now available for download at http://hstwb.firstrealize.com. There's 4GB, 8GB and 16GB self install images together with HstWB Installer as portable zip or msi installer.

Thanks for the update! I am going to download the 16 image
Old 12 May 2018, 11:29   #153
pixSCN

Quote:
I'm not sure whats causing this and need more details to investigate the issue: Image selected, packages selected, emulator used, etc. At best a description of how to reproduce it.

I recommend to use the latest stable version of WinUAE v3.6.1 without knowing which version was used.

The "can't subtract" errors usually occurs with Kickstart rom 3.0 or lower. HstWB requires Kickstart rom 3.1, but may work with Kickstart rom 3.0. The same goes for ClassicWB.
I was using:
  • Image: 8: 16GB: HDF RDB, DH0 (500MB PDS\03), DH1 (13.7GB PDS\03)
  • Workbench Adf Set: 'Workbench 3.1 Cloanto Amiga Forever 7' (6/6)
  • Kickstart Rom Set: 'Kickstart Cloanto Amiga Forever 7/2016' (5/5)
  • Install Packages: 'BetterWB v4.0.3, HstWB v1.1.2, EAB WHDLoad Demos OCS Menu v3.0.0, EAB WHDLoad Games OCS Menu v3.0.0, HstWB Mini v1.0.0'
  • Emulator File: 'WinUAE 3.6.1.0 32-bit

All I did was: 1) install HstWB Installer v1.2.0-BETA3, 2) set up the installer with the settings mentioned above, 3) run the installer, 4) boot with the HDF file in UAE (with A4000 quick config).

It was probably something weird on my end. Afterall, everything worked fine when I used the self-install image.

And thanks for the heads up on the 3.1 kickstart. I was pretty sure I was using 3.1, and not 3.0, but I was wrong. No error messages now.
Old 12 May 2018, 20:53   #154
cyberhead97

Quote:
I was using:
Image: 8: 16GB: HDF RDB, DH0 (500MB PDS\03), DH1 (13.7GB PDS\03)
Workbench Adf Set: 'Workbench 3.1 Cloanto Amiga Forever 7' (6/6)
Kickstart Rom Set: 'Kickstart Cloanto Amiga Forever 7/2016' (5/5)
Install Packages: 'BetterWB v4.0.3, HstWB v1.1.2, EAB WHDLoad Demos OCS Menu v3.0.0, EAB WHDLoad Games OCS Menu v3.0.0, HstWB Mini v1.0.0'
Emulator File: 'WinUAE 3.6.1.0 32-bit
Ah, HstWB Mini v1.0.0 explains DH1 disappearing. The release in v1.2.0-BETA3 removes automount from DH1:, which means its only available using mount DH1: command. It was also quite differently from the other WB setup and had some not optimal configurations. These have been corrected in v1.2.0-BETA4.

HstWB Mini is my attempt to build a limit memory usage WB setup using a few tricks to maximize chip mem. One of them is to remove automount from DH0: partition, which uses chip mem for PFS3AIO or FFS 45.16 partitions for unexpanded Amigas. DH1: partition then becomes the boot partition and at the same time its typically the largest partition perfect for low mem Amiga with only one large partition available suitable for WHDLoad. The DH0: partition which is no longer automounted during boot, is still available through the Amiga Boot Selector menu selecting Workbench. It mounts the partition and moves system assigns and boots Workbench from DH0:.

HstWB Mini is also intended for the image template "4gb_hdf_rdb_dh0-100mb-dos7_dh1-3.4gb-dos7.zip" as it uses less chip mem than PFS3 for unexpanded Amigas that doesn't have fast mem.

I will build a new self install image based on that image template and just the packages that makes sense for low memory Amigas without chip mem.
Old 13 May 2018, 11:38   #155
cyberhead97

To support the low end Amigas, I have converted ClassicWB 68K v28 to a HstWB Package.

This is included in a new self install image "4GB Mini HstWB self install HDF image v1.2.0-BETA4" available for download here https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/h....2.0-beta4.zip.

The image is based on the image template "4gb_hdf_rdb_dh0-100mb-dos7_dh1-3.4gb-dos7.zip" and has only the packages that makes sense for low end and unexpanded Amigas:
  • BetterWB v4.0.3
  • HstWB v1.1.2
  • ClassicWB 68K v28.0.0
  • ClassicWB LITE v28.0.1
  • EAB WHDLoad Demos AGA Menu v3.0.0
  • EAB WHDLoad Demos OCS Menu v3.0.0
  • EAB WHDLoad Games AGA Menu v3.0.0
  • EAB WHDLoad Games OCS Menu v3.0.0
  • HstWB Mini v1.0.0

Since the 4GB mini self install image uses FFS v45.16, it's much slower than the other PFS3AIO based ones, so have patience when installing.

To get Retroplays WHDLoad games installed on these 4GB images, I plan to update the Build EAB WHDLoad Install, so it will be able to detect identical versions of the same game with different WHDLoad slaves. For example FlashBack is available in following versions:
  • Flashback_v3.3_1163.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_Cz.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_De_0064.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_Fr_1736.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_It.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_1163.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_Cz.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_De_0064.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_Fr_1736.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_It.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_Pl.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_Pl.lha

Choosing only english language will limit it to 2 games being installed, but here it would be nice to get the script to pick the best version of the 2 thats left. For low end Amigas it would be the lowmem version "Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_1163.lha" and better expanded Amigas it would be the "Flashback_v3.3_1163.lha" version.

I have already done something similar with the scripts used to build AGS2 and HST Launcher menus, so it's possible. It will however entirely be based on the naming convention of the WHDLoad files.
Old 13 May 2018, 16:59   #156
pixSCN

Quote:
Ah, HstWB Mini v1.0.0 explains DH1 disappearing. The release in v1.2.0-BETA3 removes automount from DH1:, which means its only available using mount DH1: command. It was also quite differently from the other WB setup and had some not optimal configurations. These have been corrected in v1.2.0-BETA4.

HstWB Mini is my attempt to build a limit memory usage WB setup using a few tricks to maximize chip mem. One of them is to remove automount from DH0: partition, which uses chip mem for PFS3AIO or FFS 45.16 partitions for unexpanded Amigas. DH1: partition then becomes the boot partition and at the same time its typically the largest partition perfect for low mem Amiga with only one large partition available suitable for WHDLoad. The DH0: partition which is no longer automounted during boot, is still available through the Amiga Boot Selector menu selecting Workbench. It mounts the partition and moves system assigns and boots Workbench from DH0:.

HstWB Mini is also intended for the image template "4gb_hdf_rdb_dh0-100mb-dos7_dh1-3.4gb-dos7.zip" as it uses less chip mem than PFS3 for unexpanded Amigas that doesn't have fast mem.

I will build a new self install image based on that image template and just the packages that makes sense for low memory Amigas without chip mem.
Thanks! That explains it.
Old 13 May 2018, 17:31   #157
Nounouss33

Quote:
To support the low end Amigas, I have converted ClassicWB 68K v28 to a HstWB Package.

This is included in a new self install image "4GB Mini HstWB self install HDF image v1.2.0-BETA4" available for download here https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/h....2.0-beta4.zip.

The image is based on the image template "4gb_hdf_rdb_dh0-100mb-dos7_dh1-3.4gb-dos7.zip" and has only the packages that makes sense for low end and unexpanded Amigas:
  • BetterWB v4.0.3
  • HstWB v1.1.2
  • ClassicWB 68K v28.0.0
  • ClassicWB LITE v28.0.1
  • EAB WHDLoad Demos AGA Menu v3.0.0
  • EAB WHDLoad Demos OCS Menu v3.0.0
  • EAB WHDLoad Games AGA Menu v3.0.0
  • EAB WHDLoad Games OCS Menu v3.0.0
  • HstWB Mini v1.0.0

Since the 4GB mini self install image uses FFS v45.16, it's much slower than the other PFS3AIO based ones, so have patience when installing.

To get Retroplays WHDLoad games installed on these 4GB images, I plan to update the Build EAB WHDLoad Install, so it will be able to detect identical versions of the same game with different WHDLoad slaves. For example FlashBack is available in following versions:
  • Flashback_v3.3_1163.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_Cz.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_De_0064.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_Fr_1736.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_It.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_1163.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_Cz.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_De_0064.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_Fr_1736.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_It.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_Pl.lha
  • Flashback_v3.3_Pl.lha

Choosing only english language will limit it to 2 games being installed, but here it would be nice to get the script to pick the best version of the 2 thats left. For low end Amigas it would be the lowmem version "Flashback_v3.3_LowMem_1163.lha" and better expanded Amigas it would be the "Flashback_v3.3_1163.lha" version.

I have already done something similar with the scripts used to build AGS2 and HST Launcher menus, so it's possible. It will however entirely be based on the naming convention of the WHDLoad files.
Hey Cyberhead97 ! What can i say ? Beta4 is working fine !!!!!!!
I managed to use the pre-installed 16gigs image, and installed OS3.9+patches, Workbench 3.9 and all retroplay games & demo
As far as i am concerned, i first uninstalled Amiga Forever 7 R2, Winuae and removed all remaining files from these 2 installations.
Then i re-installed them (and updated Amiga forever 7 R2 to the latest version).
Then only i restarted the process of installing the beta4 16g image.
It's interesting to note that this time, all my 3.1 workbench files were copied successfully to the install dir (with previous attemps, 2 disks were not recognized as they had not the correct md5).
I don't know if you have fixed something in your script, but by starting with a fresh and clean installation, everything goes well
Thank you so much !!!!!!

By the way,
- Let's say i use this "4GB Mini HstWB self install HDF image v1.2.0-BETA4" will it enforce the installation of Mini HstWB ?
- Is there a difference between the different classical workbenchs when it comes to disk drivers ?
- If i want to use your main image creation tool, will i have the exact same set of scripts which worked with the self install image ?
- I plan to use the image with my FPGA "Mister", and i am instruct to install IDEFix'97 in Workbench to have 4 IDE support. Is it something which is already installed as part of your automated process (I know it's not meant for FPGAs, but just in case you know the answer )
- Why is the default configuration going for 68030 ? isn't Amiga 1200 supposed to work with 68020 ?

You definitly rock Cyberhead97 !!!!! You made my day !!!!
Old 13 May 2018, 22:27   #158
cyberhead97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nounouss33 View Post
Hey Cyberhead97 ! What can i say ? Beta4 is working fine !!!!!!!
I managed to use the pre-installed 16gigs image, and installed OS3.9+patches, Workbench 3.9 and all retroplay games & demo
As far as i am concerned, i first uninstalled Amiga Forever 7 R2, Winuae and removed all remaining files from these 2 installations.
Then i re-installed them (and updated Amiga forever 7 R2 to the latest version).
Then only i restarted the process of installing the beta4 16g image.
It's interesting to note that this time, all my 3.1 workbench files were copied successfully to the install dir (with previous attemps, 2 disks were not recognized as they had not the correct md5).
I don't know if you have fixed something in your script, but by starting with a fresh and clean installation, everything goes well
Thank you so much !!!!!!
Nice, I'm glad that it now works detecting all Amiga Forever 7 R2 Workbench 3.1 adf files.

Yes, I did update the Install UAE Config script with md5 checksums to properly recognize the new adf files (I'm still puzzled why these keep changing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nounouss33 View Post
By the way,
- Let's say i use this "4GB Mini HstWB self install HDF image v1.2.0-BETA4" will it enforce the installation of Mini HstWB ?
- Is there a difference between the different classical workbenchs when it comes to disk drivers ?
- If i want to use your main image creation tool, will i have the exact same set of scripts which worked with the self install image ?
- I plan to use the image with my FPGA "Mister", and i am instruct to install IDEFix'97 in Workbench to have 4 IDE support. Is it something which is already installed as part of your automated process (I know it's not meant for FPGAs, but just in case you know the answer )
- Why is the default configuration going for 68030 ? isn't Amiga 1200 supposed to work with 68020 ?

You definitly rock Cyberhead97 !!!!! You made my day !!!!
HstWB Mini is optional, so its not enforced. If fact you can choose to skip all packages, which will give you a plain Workbench 3.1 installation.

As far as I know there's no difference between ClassicWB disk drivers assuming you mean scsi.device. ClassicWB comes with a lot of different options in DH0:MyFiles, but none are enabled by default. HstWB Installer does install scsi.device v43.45 in Devs: to support large 4GB+ harddrives on real Amigas or emulators using IDE/SCSI controller emulation. If you use UAE controller emulation, then patched scsi.device not relevant as it's not used as far as I know. I use UAE controller emulation for HstWB Installer and self install images.

The scripts used for self install images are the same ones in HstWB Installer used to create these self install images, so yes.

I must admit I don't know much about MiST and how to configure it, but will gladly help as much as I can. IDEFix'97 is not installed part of HstWB Installer or self install images in general, but ClassicWB packages has IDEFix in DH0:MyFiles to be installed after completing self install process. I'm not sure why IDEFix'97 is required, it sounds more like an alternative to supporting large 4GB+ harddrives.

HstWB Installer and self install images use WinUAE configurations with cpu set to 68030 and that would be similar to an expanded A1200. I have thought of changing it back to 68020 as it doesn't require 68030. It doesn't effect the installation process, so I might changed it to 68020 in the next HstWB Installer release.

Again thanks for appreciating the work. The main purpose of HstWB Installer is to make installation easier without Amiga users having to spend hours or days of reading or trying to figure out where to begin.
Old 17 May 2018, 12:20   #159
cyberhead97

I have re-factored Build EAB WHDLoad Install into Build Install Entries for a more broad support, so it should also support WHDLoads from WHDownload and KGWHD even though I'm not sure if anyone use them at the moment. They use the same filename convension, which adds the support for them.

At the same time I have added best version filtering based on identical entry name and rank calculated from conventions used for WHDLoad filenames. It now gives the user selection between following entries sets:
  1. All: Install all entries.
  2. Best-Version: Install best version of identical entries.
  3. Best-Version-Lowmem: Install best version of identical entries for low mem Amigas (unexpanded chip mem only or low fast mem e.g. 1-2mb).

Best version means Build Install Entries will pick the highest ranking entry per entry name, hardware and language. This is also done for lowmem WHDLoads, which basically means these entries will get a higher score, if they have words like "chip", "lowmem" and memory size words like "512k" also gives higher score than "2mb".

I have attached some screenshots of the new re-factored Build Install Entries, showing the added entries sets and extended support for handling multi language entries.

Then I have done some testing with PFS/3 image template "4gb_hdf_rdb_dh0-100mb-pds3_dh1-3.4gb-pds3.zip" and got following results installing best version and best version lowmem entries sets:
  1. Install: Entries set = Best Version. Hardware = AGA, OCS. Language = EN. Result = DH1 has ~61MB of 3.4GB free.
  2. Install: Entries set = Best Version LowMem. Hardware = AGA, OCS. Language = EN. Result = DH1 has ~73MB of 3.4GB free.
  3. Install: Entries set = Best Version. Hardware = OCS. Language = EN. Result = DH1 has ~542MB of 3.4GB free.
  4. Install: Entries set = Best Version LowMem. Hardware = OCS. Language = EN. Result = DH1 has ~542MB of 3.4GB free.

The is the goal I was aiming for with introduction of best version and best version lowmem entries sets being able to install "all" games on a 4GB HDF image.

So far I only have Windows version done and next is refactoring python version for macOS and Linux users.

This will be part of upcoming v1.2.0-BETA5 release.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	build_install_entries_1.png
Views:	183
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	58258   Click image for larger version

Name:	build_install_entries_2.png
Views:	181
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	58259   Click image for larger version

Name:	build_install_entries_3.png
Views:	114
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	58260   Click image for larger version

Name:	build_install_entries_4.png
Views:	193
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	58261  
Old 21 May 2018, 00:16   #160
RoC

Quote:

Then I have done some testing with PFS/3 image template "4gb_hdf_rdb_dh0-100mb-pds3_dh1-3.4gb-pds3.zip" and got following results installing best version and best version lowmem entries sets:
  1. Install: Entries set = Best Version. Hardware = AGA, OCS. Language = EN. Result = DH1 has ~61MB of 3.4GB free.
  2. Install: Entries set = Best Version LowMem. Hardware = AGA, OCS. Language = EN. Result = DH1 has ~73MB of 3.4GB free.
  3. Install: Entries set = Best Version. Hardware = OCS. Language = EN. Result = DH1 has ~542MB of 3.4GB free.
  4. Install: Entries set = Best Version LowMem. Hardware = OCS. Language = EN. Result = DH1 has ~542MB of 3.4GB free.

The is the goal I was aiming for with introduction of best version and best version lowmem entries sets being able to install "all" games on a 4GB HDF image.

So far I only have Windows version done and next is refactoring python version for macOS and Linux users.

This will be part of upcoming v1.2.0-BETA5 release.

Interesting options, the availability of the “best versions” would make it more easier to create smaller sets.

Personally I could use it for the FPGAs sets where space is limited due to the FAT32 constraints, whereas real miggies and WinUAE do not have such issues.