English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 14 April 2018, 03:46   #1
Sinphaltimus

AmigaOS 3.9 - Straight Install or WB3.1 -> OS3.5 -> OS 3.9?

I'm just now getting the hang of customizing it after all these years.
fresh clean WB3.1 install, then OS3.9, then Boing Bags 1 - 4 then i started my Aminet raid. Here is as far as I've gotten so far. I'm just beginning to learn the ropes on custom icons so I will be redoing all the icons in my setup that make sense to change.

Old 14 April 2018, 15:28   #2
AMIGASYSTEM

AmigaOS 3.9 - Straight Install or WB3.1 -> OS3.5 -> OS 3.9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
fresh clean WB3.1 install, then OS3.9, then Boing Bags 1 - 4 then i started my Aminet raid.
It is not the correct way to install OS 3.9, we start from 3.0 or 3.1 then it updates 3.5 and finally update 3.9.
Without installation 3.5 you have problems with the icons view (gray)
Old 14 April 2018, 15:42   #3
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
It is not the correct way to install OS 3.9, we start from 3.0 or 3.1 then it updates 3.5 and finally update 3.9.
Without installation 3.5 you have problems with the icons view (gray)
I don't have 3.5 so I can't do that. I'm not about to buy another AmigaOS license. I do have some grey areas around some icons that I didn't know what was wrong but I found a work-around.

personally, I think that is so stupid. I purchased an Operating System. Not an Operating system upgrade. If my Amiga had no Operating system and a CD-Rom drive then I could have just installed OS3.9 with nothing before it and you say this is incorrect as well?

If the icon problem is the only issue I can live with that. But now I'm rather annoyed. I also told the OS3.9 installer that I did not want to upgrade the 3.1 installation, that instead I wanted to do a full install over 3.1, this is incorrect? No where in the docs did it say this was incorrect or that I'd have problems.

Is everything on Amiga a money grab? I purchased OS3.9 to deal with the CoffinOS issue.

Maybe I'll just go back to Coffin OS and start my customizing from there. After all, I'm a legit 3.9 user now so I can sleep at night.

EDIT: This is printed right on the Vesalia purchase page:

"AmigaOS 3.9 is the update for Amiga OS 3.5 -- but it can also be installed directly on top of an Amiga OS 3.1 system. "

So I what's the deal?

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 14 April 2018 at 15:54.
Old 14 April 2018, 15:51   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

If I remember well on CD OS 3.9 there should also be OS3.5, in any case, the best solution is to start from one Hardisk empty and use THIS tutorial of the good Thomas "Quick Installation Guide for OS3.9 on WinUAE (with CD-ROM support)".
Old 14 April 2018, 15:55   #5
Sinphaltimus

From the Vasalia website -

AmigaOS 3.9 is the update for Amiga OS 3.5 -- but it can also be installed directly on top of an Amiga OS 3.1 system.

http://www.vesalia.de/e_os39.htm
Old 14 April 2018, 16:02   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
From the Vasalia website -
but it can also be installed directly on top of an Amiga OS 3.1 system.
OS 3.9 it can also be installed without any operating system, just the CD di OS3.9 it's a HD empty, 3.0 and 3.1 they are not necessary in this case.
Old 14 April 2018, 16:53   #7
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
OS 3.9 it can also be installed without any operating system, just the CD di OS3.9 it's a HD empty, 3.0 and 3.1 they are not necessary in this case.
Where does it say "If you want to install on top of WB3.1 you have to upgrade to OD3.5 first"?

It doesn't, it very clearly says "but it can also be installed directly on top of an Amiga OS 3.1 system."

Without any warning.

I believe my "icon" issue is because the icon I had issue with came from a third party for SDMountOnOff - I'll just replace it with my own custom one made from scratch.
Old 14 April 2018, 17:00   #8
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I believe my "icon" issue is because the icon I had issue with came from a third party for SDMountOnOff .
No, that happens if you install OS3.9 directly on 3.1

OS 3.9 it can be installed safely with WB3.1, OS3.5 I only add one function to correctly see the colors of some icons, if you look on the forum you will also find out how to get around the problem.

I attach an old video of mine where you can see the problem "Icons Gray " after installing (was installing RealAmiga)
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 April 2018 at 17:12.
Old 14 April 2018, 18:14   #9
Sinphaltimus

My apologies, I haven't spotted a problem in your video above.

Where (time) is the grey problem?

All my icons so far have no issues except for the one Icon I mentioned (SDMountOnOff) that you can see all the way to the left on my Amidock.

I fixed it as best I could by trimming away excess graphics in IconEdit but the transparency is stuck at being perfectly square - only for that one icon tho' so you're saying there is a fix?

Is this something I can extract from an OS3.5 setup should I be able to find one?

I don't have AmiKit. Just because I don't know it or understand about it all that much. No other reason. And I think it costs money too so I'm not sure I would need it really.
Old 14 April 2018, 18:41   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

If you install OS 3.9 directly on OS 3.1 you will get this result, see screenshot,

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 11 May 2018 at 01:33.
Old 14 April 2018, 18:54   #11
AMIGASYSTEM

This instead the installation WB3.1 -> OS3.5 -> OS 3.9, see screenshot!

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 11 May 2018 at 01:33.
Old 14 April 2018, 19:13   #12
Locutus

Quote:
If you install OS 3.9 directly on OS 3.1 you will get this result, see screenshot,
I have never had that problem with 3.1->3.9
Old 14 April 2018, 19:17   #13
Sinphaltimus

I only see that on one or two icons, as you can see in my screenshot my Amidock speaker, unarc and others came out just fine.

EditPad being one.

EDIT 2: That is a very bizarre issue with "some" icons. I don't think I'm going to fix it per se', at least not in the way a 3.5 to 3.9 might have.

Since I'm building up this system to have a "Vampire" theme, I'm going to end up editing most of the icons anyway, so i will manually fix any I find with the issue.

As an example, see my new edit pad icon I just created quickly.

Thanks for your concern but you damn near gave me a heart attack AMIGASYSTEM. This is a minor issue I can live with. I literally thought my entire installation might have been hosed the way you put it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewEditPad.png
Views:	451
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	57852  

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 14 April 2018 at 19:54. Reason: EDIT editpad
Old 30 April 2018, 11:23   #14
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus View Post
I have never had that problem with 3.1->3.9
Indeed, neither did I. Funny that OS 3.9's own installer comes with an option to install over 3.1 / to an empty partition. If 3.5 was a requirement that option would not be provided.

@Thread
I suspect if you have funky icons after your installation over 3.1, it's because of one of these reasons:

- Your 3.1 installation was somehow problematic (e.g. file permissions), causing some libraries or files to not be updated (though I suspect this would give an error during installation);

- You're doing something messing with Setpatch or applying alternative patches that are preventing the new workbench and icon libraries from working properly;

- You're installing from within 3.1 rather than from within 3.9 (via emergency floppy) as clearly stated in the instructions, meaning the old versions of some files (like icon.library) can't be flushed and replaced with the new versions, resulting in the 3.1 icon.library being used for some operations.

Last edited by Daedalus; 30 April 2018 at 12:17.
Old 30 April 2018, 12:13   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
AmigaSystem I see that you use the ram icon from the Vampire "OS".
Where can I find it?. Where did they get those icons?

The two icons RAM and SYSTEM find them on Coffin OS, icon SYSTEM when you click on it, the default OS 3.1 icon still appears

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 11 May 2018 at 01:32.
Old 30 April 2018, 16:48   #16
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post

- You're installing from within 3.1 rather than from within 3.9 (via emergency floppy) as clearly stated in the instructions, meaning the old versions of some files (like icon.library) can't be flushed and replaced with the new versions, resulting in the 3.1 icon.library being used for some operations.

^^^THIS^^^^

This is totally what I did. do you think at this point I could reinstall OS3.9 from within my OS3.9 currently? I tried creating an emergency floppy disk but there wasn't enough room (ran out of space) and that threw me off. I suppose I can try again.
Old 30 April 2018, 17:10   #17
Daedalus

Quote:
This is totally what I did. do you think at this point I could reinstall OS3.9 from within my OS3.9 currently?
I think this should work fine. You should be able to simply reinstall to the same partition, overwriting the incorrect icons in the process, since the new icon.library will be in use at that point.

Quote:
I tried creating an emergency floppy disk but there wasn't enough room (ran out of space) and that threw me off. I suppose I can try again.
Ran out of space when creating the emergency floppy? Or during OS installation afterwards? It's possible that the installer is defaulting to installing on the emergency floppy and not the hard drive, resulting in a disk full error. You can avoid this my manually selecting a destination partition at the start of the installation process. You might have to make a new emergency disk though if it's overwritten anything important...
Old 30 April 2018, 17:44   #18
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I think this should work fine. You should be able to simply reinstall to the same partition, overwriting the incorrect icons in the process, since the new icon.library will be in use at that point.

Ran out of space when creating the emergency floppy? Or during OS installation afterwards? It's possible that the installer is defaulting to installing on the emergency floppy and not the hard drive, resulting in a disk full error. You can avoid this my manually selecting a destination partition at the start of the installation process. You might have to make a new emergency disk though if it's overwritten anything important...
It was definitely when trying to create an emergency floppy that the floppy became full. Not during the installation process.

I will take a backup of my current installation and try to reinstall OS3.9 again. Sorry for dragging this off-topic. I'll create a new topic to continue should I need to.
Old 30 April 2018, 18:12   #19
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Questo è un bel punto di partenza, Coffin non è facile da gestire ed aggiornare, i do not use it, i prefer OS3.9 BB4 systems AfA-OS based
I like Coffin as a real world DEMO scenerio. I get to test so many things with it. But it's not customized or stream lined to my personal taste.

I also have a plain WB3.1 installation and my customized OS3.9 installation.

After so many years away from Amiga, I really want to learn the workbench all over again. I want to learn some scripting and programming on it. Right now I'm just getting back into Octamed and Fantavision. Soon I'm going to start frame by frame animation again (Dpaint) and may start 3D stuff on it again but right now the only viable application for it is lightwave I think and I don't know lightwave enough. All because it's fun to me. And interesting. I can't explain the affinity I have for this platform but here I am so many years later playing with it again. Doing more creative stuff on it than my much more capable PC.

I'm seriously considering doing a 3.9 install with nothing before it.

Yes, Boing bags 1-4 - I'm all for it as well. I never tried AFA-OS - Maybe I'll add that to my list as well.
Old 30 April 2018, 19:14   #20
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
It was definitely when trying to create an emergency floppy that the floppy became full.
To create the emergency floppy, in CD 3.9, in the directory "OS-Version3.9" find a folder called "Emergency-Disk", you just need to copy its contents into a bootable floppy named "Emergency-Disk".

After this you start WinUAE with "Emergency-Disk" + CD-ROM 3.9 (auto mount) + HardFile (Partitioned, formatted or partitioned format before installation) and proceed with installation by choosing the item "Full installation over OS 3.0 or Empty HD"