English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 January 2015, 11:24   #41
s2325
Zone Friend

Sorry, I didn't expect advert 5 minutes long.
Old 14 January 2015, 13:34   #42
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
I guess first thing to do is clear up all the fuzz around the Retro Gamer "Amiga Book". Many of us have it on order in the imagine shop stuck on processing, while it released days ago
The Amiga Book sold out far quicker than was expected, in fact it's been our fasted selling bookazine ever. To my understanding, everyone who played an order would receive a copy as it's apparently impossible to order one if they've run out due to the way the system is set up. Due to the Christmas break no books were sent out before the 5th (as stated on the website) but backlog meant they took a little longer than normal. It should also be in WHSmiths stores, but apparently their distribution (which is out of our control) focus on sending to bigger stores and then resupplying from there. People are starting to find it in their local stores so it might be worth phoning beforehand to avoid disappointment. If you just want to read the content then a digital version does exist.
Hopefully that answers questions. I didn't want to mention the book before hand here as I'm a new member and felt it wouldn't be in good taste.
Old 14 January 2015, 14:08   #43
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
I guess first thing to do is clear up all the fuzz around the Retro Gamer "Amiga Book". Many of us have it on order in the imagine shop stuck on processing, while it released days ago
Not just that but the communication from both imagineshop and retrogamer has been utterly terrible, as stated by the first thread. Not one apology from anyone on the retro gamer facebook group or imagine shop, not one apology from anyone on the retro gamer twitter. Just the same thing, look in your local WHSMITH after being told countless times most WHSMITH's in the south were not selling it. Or told it will be shipped today after knowing full well they couldn't ship for TWO BLOODY WEEKS!

Not one sorry, not one we will look into this and get it sorted, just fobbed off time and time again, even to the point of completely ignoring us and people in the Amiga community.

I was that close to writing a scathing review of Imagineshop and Retro Gamer in this months article on our site. But it is now in the hands of Strider to get it looked into.

Yet it should not have gone this far

ps Imagine shop was also full of false advertising such as all orders being shipped on the monday 5th
Old 16 January 2015, 13:18   #44
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Strider : I was a bit disappointed in the Eye of the Beholder 2 article, just a snippet. Can you please do a big feature spread on Eye of the Beholder games? Perhaps some reference to Dungeon Master and other Dungeon Crawlers of the time?
Old 12 February 2015, 08:18   #45
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

More about the Amiga 1200, with games such as Marvin's Marvellous Adventure, Pinball Illusions, and those FPSes such as Alien Breed 3D, Fears, and Breathless. "The Amiga Book" released by Imagine might as well be called "The Amiga 500 Book".

And also coverage on the CDTV and CD32.
Old 12 February 2015, 08:44   #46
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

I've stopped buying the mag, as I got sick of the repetitive content. Eg. how many "making of Elite" articles have been done, I've lost count...yes, it's a good game but still...

After over a hundred issues the Emerson Arcadia 2001, Interton VC 4000 and related consoles have yet to receive any coverage at all, while other systems from that era have been featured multiple times.

Quote:
Emulation (not just Amiga) - RG seems to avoid this topic?
I've noticed that too. Apart from their fawning coverage of Nintendo Virtual Console stuff there's a severe lack of emulation-related content.
Old 12 February 2015, 08:57   #47
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Remember when Retro Gamer was still released by Live Publishing, years before they went into receivership? Martyn Carroll, the editor at the time, had a section called "Emulation Nation".
Old 12 February 2015, 09:19   #48
Amigajay

Im guessing there is a couple of reasons, firstly RG has to survive as a retail publication, sadly more obscore consoles and computers wont sell more copies, though im also guessing there isnt a willing writer to get the job done with enough content for such an article.

Well the Live Publishing era mag died a death, the mag needs constant advertisers, it has to stay on more mainstream consoles most of the time otherwise there wont be a magazine.

I used to get annoyed to with some issues, but now i think at least we have a mag still, lookmat how many online retro mags have gone the same way as the Live Publishing format.
Old 15 February 2015, 01:49   #49
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>it has to stay on more mainstream consoles

Yet many obscure, unsuccessful or even completely unreleased consoles such as Konix/Jaguar/Saturn/etc. have been covered before, usually multiple times.

Also many articles are poorly researched, eg. the Jump Bug article says "no home conversion", the Island of Secrets article says the game wasn't originally for VIC-20, etc.

Last edited by Minuous; 15 February 2015 at 01:54.
Old 15 February 2015, 11:09   #50
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
>it has to stay on more mainstream consoles

Yet many obscure, unsuccessful or even completely unreleased consoles such as Konix/Jaguar/Saturn/etc. have been covered before, usually multiple times.
Yes but as i also mentioned in my post above, if there is no freelance writers willing to do an article then it wont happen...

Get in contact with RG if you know someone is capable of writing some decent Amiga articles... until then there is no point moaning about it.
Old 15 February 2015, 18:18   #51
lesta_smsc

Rome AD 92. Wish there was a sequel... actually I might start to play the Robin Hood game which uses the same viewpoint.
Old 16 February 2015, 03:39   #52
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Get in contact with RG if you know someone is capable of writing some decent Amiga articles... until then there is no point moaning about it.
Surely it's their job to find writers for the magazine, not mine.
Old 16 February 2015, 09:21   #53
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Surely it's their job to find writers for the magazine, not mine.
Well thats why theres not more Amiga coverage, theres fans of other machines willing to write articles partically Atari, hence why they had a whole book on different machines, not just one...

He has (editor of RG) come on here asking and got ( unless pmed) no offers to write something, so they did at least ask.
Old 16 February 2015, 20:04   #54
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Well thats why theres not more Amiga coverage, theres fans of other machines willing to write articles partically Atari, hence why they had a whole book on different machines, not just one...

He has (editor of RG) come on here asking and got ( unless pmed) no offers to write something, so they did at least ask.
That's a load of crap. After some of my interviews I approached RG and they said they would be interested in having some articles done, I had to sign something and basically never heard back from them again after signing. They were completely unprofessional in that regard, so it's a myth that there is "nobody to write Amiga articles".
Old 16 February 2015, 20:18   #55
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

I've been approached about writing/contributing to something, but that was some time ago now.

Not sure if its going to happen or not.
Old 16 February 2015, 20:48   #56
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I had a similar experience to Codetapper. I sent some articles from APoV and it seemed that there was some interest but it took a very long time and eventually I heard nothing more.
Old 30 March 2015, 22:22   #57
s2325
Zone Friend

Retro Gamer 140 have making of Speedball 2, Jetstrike, review of Supremacy and Strategic Simulations Inc overview.
Old 31 March 2015, 02:50   #58
wanderer
I want an A1000

Hello Darran, really nice of you trying to get closer to the Amiga community. I read RG and enjoy it quite a lot, even the non-Amiga articles. There's just the right amount of retro-feeling and nostalgia.

I'd love to see a full-blown article on the Amiga's custom chips and the revolution they brought. I'd like for you to convey why so many programmers enjoyed working on the Amiga and still remember those days fondly. On gaming, more underdog stories on great games/companies/individuals that are not so well-known.

I know you are named Retro Gamer, but perhaps it's time to start considering the serious side of the Amiga. It might alienate some non-Amiga readers, but I'm sure it'll intrigue others. It's one facet of the machine that separates it from all others in your mag, after all. And we were still Gamers while word processing, composing music, discovering Workbench, making videos, painting and so much more.
Old 31 March 2015, 05:55   #59
ransom1122

Not sure if it's already been done but love to read an in depth dungeon master / chaos strikes back (ftl) interview.
Old 31 March 2015, 09:54   #60
lightcycle

team 17 were a major contributor to the amiga scene.i would love to see their games in an article.perhaps one game a month with a review of the game with tips and codes maybe.first could be say,superfrog with a few nice pics a review and a list of all level codes.
just an idea.