English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 10 November 2018, 17:29   #2921
PeterK

No, nothing like that happens on my system, neither on OS 3.9+3.1.4, nor on the same with AfA and my icon.library activated. Check your Envarc:datatypes/exe.prefs. On my system it's an empty file (0 bytes). Check your system for possible patches like MCP or scan all for "def_system" strings.

Last edited by PeterK; 15 November 2018 at 00:14.
Old 10 November 2018, 18:16   #2922
AMIGASYSTEM

- Envarc:datatypes/exe.prefs-> I have no file named exe.prefs

- MCP Startup-sequence Disable
- MCP Prefs Disable
- Datatypes Prefs Disable

After renaming everything and restarting the system "def_wxw.info" it is always requested (see screenshot)

This happens on all of my AFA-OS systems including AfAWB1.4.
Probably something is missing from your AfA-OS!

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 13 November 2018 at 08:51.
Old 10 November 2018, 18:41   #2923
PeterK

An Aminet search for "def_exe" finds these tools:

http://aminet.net/package/dev/basic/AmiBlitz3
http://aminet.net/package/dev/c/APPSource
http://aminet.net/package/dev/e/powerd
http://aminet.net/package/dev/lang/SecalDemo

Anything installed ?
Old 10 November 2018, 18:50   #2924
AMIGASYSTEM

No ever used, now I try to install AfA-OS 4.8 on an OS3.9 Standard
Old 10 November 2018, 18:58   #2925
PeterK

There is no string "def_exe" in any file of the complete OS 3.9 CD or in AfA_OS 4.8.

Why don't you scan your system for this string?

Ok, it's still possible that some program could call GetIconTagList() with the tags 'deficon by name "exe"', that would also load ENV:Sys/def_exe.info, but usually the name of the tool is not "exe".

Do you have MultiView_AfA installed ?

Last edited by PeterK; 10 November 2018 at 19:15.
Old 10 November 2018, 20:02   #2926
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Why don't you scan your system for this string?
Already done

Quote:
Do you have MultiView_AfA installed ?
No never used moved to archive

Testeted OS3.9 BB4 + AfA-OS 4.8 and it is not required def_exe.info (see screnshot)

Surely there will be some application that does this, sooner or later I will find it '

Important that now the icon.library works flawlessly on Afa-OS, now I can see well the icons OS4 / DualPNG from dopus4, now also OS4 recognizes all the icons AfA-OS

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 13 November 2018 at 08:51.
Old 14 November 2018, 12:42   #2927
PeterK

@AMIGASYSTEM: Could you find the culprit already?

Added a new 46.4.508_LD020:

This update supports the PNG icon "Frameless" flag now and the TrueColor mode can be disabled with the command "ConvertTrueColor" to create the OS 3.5 icon format or "RestoreTrueColor" to switch TC on again. These features may also be introduced to the other library versions soon. The "Frameless" flag can be changed with RAWBInfo or Report+ for example.
Old 14 November 2018, 13:39   #2928
AMIGASYSTEM

Hello, my friend, in Italy we say "Find a needle in the haystack" or "Find a hair in the egg". Well whit AfA-OS I found it, look at this video in full, the surprises are not lacking (with icon_lib.exe it does not happen)

Find the OS4 icon archive here: http://os4depot.net/?function=showfi...or-amigaos.lha

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 26 November 2018 at 23:22.
Old 14 November 2018, 16:44   #2929
PeterK

Hi Carlo, it's the same proverb with the needle in the haystack here, but we find hairs in the soup! How do they get into Italian eggs? We only find chemicals in our eggs from time to time.

Interesting video, but I could not reproduce it on my system, no matter which library I use. Does that also happen on your fresh installed OS 3.9.2 with AfA_OS? Without your RemLib trick, of course.
Old 14 November 2018, 18:54   #2930
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
How do they get into Italian eggs?.
It is said so because you will never find them

Peter, it seems that on OS3.9 BB1-2 Standard + AfA OS, RemLib does not work and your library is not loaded, is missing something do you have any advice?

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 November 2018 at 19:17.
Old 14 November 2018, 20:30   #2931
PeterK

On OS 3.9 SetPatch is loading the icon.library, so you won't need RemLib. Just rename icon_lib.exe to something else and everything except themes and skins should work. Maybe VisualPrefs and Birdie can do that job, but I never use themes, skins or Birdie.
Old 14 November 2018, 20:41   #2932
PeterK

Update to icon.libary 46.4.508:

This update supports the PNG icon "Frameless" flag now and the TrueColor mode can be disabled with the command "ConvertTrueColor" to create icons in the OS 3.5 format or "RestoreTrueColor" to switch back to TC mode again. You'll need to update the windows after changing the mode. The "Frameless" flag can be set with RAWBInfo or Report+ for example.
Old 14 November 2018, 21:27   #2933
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Just rename icon_lib.exe to something else and everything except themes and skins should work
But then the test is no longer reliable, AfA_Prefs does not only use windows, it's a shame not to have it.

However the video problem is solved with the usual removal di "ASyncWB" from WBStartup
Old 14 November 2018, 21:44   #2934
PeterK

I think I know that story already ...
Old 14 November 2018, 21:52   #2935
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
I think I know that story already ...
Yes, old story but finally resolved

ASyncWB can stay in WBStartup just insert the parameter in Tooltypes "NOCOPY"

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 26 November 2018 at 23:21.
Old 14 November 2018, 22:41   #2936
Kernel

OS 3.5 Format?

I'll be more than happy to search through all 147 pages of this thread if I'm told to...

I haven't used my Amiga in about a year (burnout??) and getting back into it, I made a system from scratch under WinUAE using an A1200 as base and 68040 with UAEGFX. Not sure if these details matter but figured I'd mention them in case they do. I am using the TD020 library from the latest update.

I seem to recall during my last stint when copying icons over from varius PNG sets that I would get a popup asking if I wanted to convert the icon to 3.5 format. This time however, I'm not getting a popup and because I'm partial to the Kens Icons v4, they are really slow to load since they are 32-bit PNG. Kens icons V 2.3 are only 256 color and load way faster.

The question is, what am I doing wrong here as it seems that they are being converted on the fly and that is what is slowing things down. I'd like to convert them into the 3.5 format as I am replacing them (using CopyIcon) so they are faster loading.

Hope this makes sense... an awesome piece of software you've built!

Last edited by Kernel; 15 November 2018 at 15:48.
Old 14 November 2018, 23:33   #2937
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel View Post
I'll be more than happy to search through all 147 pages of this thread if I'm told to...
Don't do it or I will see you next year again ...

Quote:
I made a system from scratch under WinUAE using an A1200 as base and 68040 with UAEGFX. I am using the TD020 library from the latest update.
Probably TC020 or LD020, but there is only a small difference in the way how the colormapped icons are loaded directly into the gfx-card memory. It depends on the hardware which of these two versions is faster. On my WinUAE system it's TC020, but on some real Amigas LD020 is sometimes a bit faster. Both are loading original PNG or OS4 icons with the same speed on a gfx-card.

Quote:
I seem to recall during my last stint when copying icons over from varius PNG sets that I would get a popup asking if I wanted to convert the icon to 3.5 format. This time however, I'm not getting a popup and because I'm partial to the Kens Icons v4, they are really slow to load since they are 32-bit PNG. Kens icons V 2.3 are only 256 color and load way faster.
The 68020 version is still working like that and will show you the requester before it would convert a TrueColor icon in place into the faster OS 3.5 format with less quality. Usually the new versions TC020 and LD020 are trying to preserve the original TrueColor image quality under all circumstances except for the OS 3.5/3.9 IconEdit.

Quote:
The question is, what am I doing wrong here as it seems that they are being converted on the fly and that is what is slowing things down. I'd like to concert them into the 3.5 format as I am replacing them (using CopyIcon) so they are faster loading.

Hope this makes sense... an awesome piece of software you've built!
Yes, there is a new possibility since today coming with my latest update 46.4.508. You can now call my optional command "ConvertTrueColor" and then update the contents of your windows and load the icons even with the TrueColor versions like it is done by the 68020 version. They will be converted into the faster OS 3.5 format when dragging them onto another disk, by using CopyIcon or Icon Information or by snapshotting PNG icons. The requester only appears in those cases when an icon should be converted and written back onto itself. You can finally switch back to the TrueColor mode again with "RestoreTrueColor" to get the full quality for all icons that have not been converted yet. But those in the OS 3.5 format should appear faster after the conversion. If you never want to see the OS4 and PNG icons in TrueColor and with soft alpha channel blending then simply use the 68020 version. Usually PNG and OS4 icons are 5-20 kB in size and ColorIcons only 2-7 kB. So you can easily see which icons are still not converted.

On my Mini-PC with WinUAE and P96 the TrueColor icons are loading really fast with TC020 now (208 OS4 icons in 1 second), although I have not a high-end system, it's more low budget. I hope you have the WinUAE Jit enabled.

Last edited by PeterK; 14 November 2018 at 23:52.
Old 15 November 2018, 00:08   #2938
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Yes, old story but finally resolved

ASyncWB can stay in WBStartup just insert the parameter in Tooltypes "NOCOPY"
My AsyncWB icon has only the tooltype "DONOTWAIT" and it works.

Last edited by PeterK; 15 November 2018 at 00:22.
Old 15 November 2018, 00:22   #2939
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter "DONOTWAIT" it is also present in mine ASyncWB, on my AfA-OS "DONOTWAIT" it is hidden and it is not visible.
The problem happens if there is only "DONOTWAIT" without parameters.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 15 November 2018 at 00:38.
Old 15 November 2018, 15:57   #2940
Kernel

Quote:
Don't do it or I will see you next year again ...
Thanks for saving me!!!

Quote:
The 68020 version is still working like that and will show you the requester before it would convert a TrueColor icon in place into the faster OS 3.5 format with less quality. Usually the new versions TC020 and LD020 are trying to preserve the original TrueColor image quality under all circumstances except for the OS 3.5/3.9 IconEdit.
Ah ok that makes sense then... I forgot to mention I'm using this with 3.1.4 but I suspect since you support it, it won't make much of a difference.

Quote:
Yes, there is a new possibility since today coming with my latest update 46.4.508. You can now call my optional command "ConvertTrueColor" and then update the contents of your windows and load the icons even with the TrueColor versions like it is done by the 68020 version. They will be converted into the faster OS 3.5 format when dragging them onto another disk, by using CopyIcon or Icon Information or by snapshotting PNG icons. The requester only appears in those cases when an icon should be converted and written back onto itself. You can finally switch back to the TrueColor mode again with "RestoreTrueColor" to get the full quality for all icons that have not been converted yet.
I'll have to try this then... but I'm a bit confused how the RestoreTrueColor would work... if the ConvertTrueColor turns them into true OS 3.5 GlowIcons in 256 colors how does the Restore reverse this?

Quote:
On my Mini-PC with WinUAE and P96 the TrueColor icons are loading really fast with TC020 now (208 OS4 icons in 1 second), although I have not a high-end system, it's more low budget. I hope you have the WinUAE Jit enabled.
Hmmm... I did not have the JIT enabled but I went in and tried it but they are still slow. I must have something else off if you are getting what seems to be an instant display of the full color PNG's.