English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 February 2024, 08:06   #161
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Well, is another instance of "this is why we cannot have nice things"
I like how h0ffman took the 'critique' and made it an easter egg in the game. There will always be people who don't like things, the trick is to not let them ruin things that you like
Old 20 February 2024, 08:40   #162
mahen

Hey, actually, Cecconoid does push the limit in many ways !
Tons of particles, 10 voices sound engine, achievements, twin-sticks, port from a recent PC game...
Soooo looking forward to it

Hoffman can probably deal with humor with a few people complaining
Old 20 February 2024, 09:28   #163
roondar

Personally I feel that Cecconoid is filled with technical tricks and highlights. The particle system is pretty awesome and does so many particles even on a basic A500 - drawing individual pixels to the Amiga's screen is pretty much the worst case scenario for GFX speed and yet here it all runs flawlessly in a real game environment. The many channels of high quality sound are great (I particularly love the way the music does a kind of 'JIT' mixing for extra channels) and the way it controls and how collisions are handled are very good.

The number of colours on screen simply put isn't at all relevant for me. In fact, I really like the art style, it shows that minimalism can still have tons of personality. End even more, I like that it's a port from a PC game that you just know didn't have a need to hold back in terms of calculations, etc.
Old 20 February 2024, 12:06   #164
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

That blew my socks off!
Old 20 February 2024, 12:11   #165
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

But guys, every Amiga game needs to have 16 colors and a Chris Hülsbeck soundtrack.
Old 20 February 2024, 12:52   #166
acidbottle

I appreciate everyone has an opinion on artstyle, but in this instance it is completely uncalled for. It's a port of a monochrome game on PC. The fact this has been stuffed into an a500 with that much stuff kicking around the screen is mind boggling.

If I didnt know better I would say it was trolling, but the dude is moaning about Tenebra being 2 colour in the AA mag thread to .. sigh

But yeah, a vinyl of the soundtrack would be amazing as Bill says
Old 20 February 2024, 13:03   #167
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
Unfortunately it seems that it isn't possible to pay taxes before shipping... this means that the item will be kept at Customs for weeks (at least here in Italy...) and that there will be an unknown amount of money to pay at delivery...
It is better I don't say what I think of brexit...
Copies could be put up for sale on somewhere like (for example) eBay, where taxes can be collected and paid by eBay, and IOSS integration done with the postal service to allow the item to flow right into the destination county.
Old 20 February 2024, 13:05   #168
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Not sure what the relevance is of it being a port, eg. Dark Castle was a port from the Macintosh but thankfully had colour on the Amiga. In fact once the Mac could finally do colour, a colour version was released for Mac too. Similarly, Head over Heels was in colour on Amiga despite being largely 2-colour on the Spectrum and C64, etc.

Last edited by Minuous; 20 February 2024 at 13:21.
Old 20 February 2024, 13:29   #169
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Not sure what the relevance is of it being a port, eg. Dark Castle was a port from the Macintosh but thankfully had colour on the Amiga. In fact once the Mac could finally do colour, a colour version was released for Mac too. Similarly, Head over Heels was in colour on Amiga despite being largely 2-colour on the Spectrum and C64, etc.
I guess it's all taste, but I play games on my Xbox Series console that look they were made in the 80ies.

Some of them actually were... lol.

I think it's weird to tell other people what kind of games they have to enjoy on a platform, and even weirder to tell what kind of games they have to create in their free time.

PS: I remember seeing Tetris on the Amiga for the first time. And I told people this game looks like a shit budget game because of its graphics, and that it will never be a success.
Old 20 February 2024, 14:02   #170
A500

Very much looking forward to buying the digital download when it becomes available. Many thanks for the game, Hoffman!
Old 20 February 2024, 14:23   #171
britelite

Just because you can use a lot of colors doesn't always mean you should
Old 20 February 2024, 16:01   #172
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Each example you've provided comes from a time of generational shift. So of course in these instances you would have re-vamped the graphics for the destination platform. That is very much of the time.

The difference here is the monochrome aesthetic is a large part of the original games identity. I was given permission to officially port this to Amiga by the original author and I know how much this design choice meant to him and the game.

I could go into more detail about how the choice to keep in low colour frees up performance on the Amiga to allow for more of the important stuff, like less slow-downs, more enemies, particle effects.. yada yada yada.. but the fact you glazed over all this stuff and doubled down on graphics tells me you just aren't interested in how games are made or how they work.

Anyway, I hear Strider runs in 16 colours. Maybe try that.
Old 20 February 2024, 16:03   #173
Evillord68

Hello h0ffman, why you don´t sell your boxes to an reseller in eu?
We from A1k.org are some guys and want to buy your game. But we in eu have to pay, with shipping, vat and dhl processing fee round the double price as you get from us.
Our solution is a reseller named Alinea Computer, there could be manage to get a little bit cheaper.
It´s only a good idea, good for all i think.
Old 20 February 2024, 16:09   #174
h0ffman

oh bloody hell... I knew I put all that colour somewhere..

Old 20 February 2024, 17:46   #175
Cris1997XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
oh bloody hell... I knew I put all that colour somewhere..

Now make an Amiga 1200 version
Old 20 February 2024, 19:51   #176
copse

I think there's a lot of potential in going back and exploring low colour/monochrome ala Cecconoid/Monument/etc and also flat-shaded polygons ala Elite/Virus/No Second Prize..

Looking forward to trying Cecconoid.
Old 20 February 2024, 20:41   #177
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

If color count is all that matters, then (I guess) Top Banana and Kang Fu must be the best Amiga games ever created!

Besides all the technical points, sometimes people also forget that minimalism is a legit avenue of artistic expression.
Old 20 February 2024, 21:26   #178
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsak View Post
Besides all the technical points, sometimes people also forget that minimalism is a legit avenue of artistic expression.
OK, seriously: some people want Amigas to be literally embalmed and still in their time space capsule it seems, so no experimentation and new styles allowed outside of what was considered "cool" in theIR time - i honestly disagree

Last edited by saimon69; 20 February 2024 at 21:35.
Old 20 February 2024, 21:31   #179
kriz

Have to go with the digital here, shipping is too expensive :/ Looking 4ward though !!
Old 20 February 2024, 21:43   #180
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I like how h0ffman took the 'critique' and made it an easter egg in the game. There will always be people who don't like things, the trick is to not let them ruin things that you like
My original Bomb Jack Beer Edition title song was starting EXACTLY like the elite song, but Graeme choices stopped my troll wish -_-

[ Show youtube player ]