English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 16 December 2019, 17:20   #1
Asman

Resourcer question(s)

I have question about Resourcer.

Background: main file is binary file loaded to address $6000.
So I have set origin to $6000 and code looks nice but there is for example
Code:
add.l #START+$2023,a1
and I want to change it to
Code:
add.l #$8023,a1
Is it possible to do that in Resourcer ?
Old 16 December 2019, 17:56   #2
Don_Adan

Perhaps not, if i remember right. You can of course clear Origin. Mostly I used CED for replacing START+$2 with $8. Or you can add in resourced file START=$6000. I sometimes set extra label too and manually resourced all offsets.
Old 16 December 2019, 18:35   #3
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

As Don Adan said, I don't think it's possible. You can easily change it when assembling the source but not within ReSource, at least I didn't find any way to do that yet (but didn't care much either as it's not a big problem).

Last edited by StingRay; 16 December 2019 at 19:28. Reason: typo
Old 16 December 2019, 18:42   #4
ross
Per aspera ad astra

Hi Asman, do you want to do it automatically or manually?
Because you can manually use '*/ZAP/Zap2' (code mode).
Old 16 December 2019, 19:25   #5
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Zap/Zap2 won't work, it will still create the START+ label.
Old 16 December 2019, 20:02   #6
ross
Per aspera ad astra

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Zap/Zap2 won't work, it will still create the START+ label.
Then I remembered badly.
However tonight I try, I seemed to have solved the problem .. but I probably just bypassed it somehow
Old 16 December 2019, 20:31   #7
Asman

@Don_Adan, StingRay, ross.
Thanks for answers. Just few seconds ago I had crazy idea to make a symbol (LABELS/Create single/Symbol) and it works. I write down $8023 and now I see
Code:
 add.l #$8023,a1
I generated whole asm code to check if there is some symbol like $8023 = START+$2023, but there is not. I need to check if other combination works too, like
Code:
 add.l #CHARS+$80,a1
Thanks again.
Old 16 December 2019, 21:48   #8
ross
Per aspera ad astra

Ok, I used this (I left a comment in the resourced code to remind me):
SYM/SYMBOLS/Custom Bases/- Base #x -/Use-> $value
But probably is the same as your LABELS/Create single/Symbol

I too often find myself trying the options since there are so many that remembering what they do is impossible
Old 16 December 2019, 22:34   #9
Asman

I checked combination CHARS+$80 and it works too. It seems that Resource is so powerful than I thought. Poor me.
Old 17 December 2019, 00:47   #10
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
Just few seconds ago I had crazy idea to make a symbol (LABELS/Create single/Symbol) and it works. I write down $8023 and now I see

This will of course work but you have to be careful when dealing with absolute address code as you have to decide manually if a label should be created or not as not everything with a START+ reference should be a label (which I actually thought is the case here otherwise I would have suggested using "labels/create single/symbol" too).

Anyway, ReSource is indeed powerful, didn't find anything which handles disassembling Amiga binaries better though IDA Pro is a good competitor.
Old 17 December 2019, 07:57   #11
Bruce Abbott

Quote:
ReSource is indeed powerful, didn't find anything which handles disassembling Amiga binaries better though IDA Pro is a good competitor.
At US$1879 it had better be good!
Old 17 December 2019, 12:37   #12
Asman

Quote:
This will of course work but you have to be careful when dealing with absolute address code as you have to decide manually if a label should be created or not as not everything with a START+ reference should be a label (which I actually thought is the case here otherwise I would have suggested using "labels/create single/symbol" too).

Anyway, ReSource is indeed powerful, didn't find anything which handles disassembling Amiga binaries better though IDA Pro is a good competitor.
Thanks a lot for advice, indeed I must be very careful and I thought that I just assemble resourced source and compare with original but it seems I need to improve my skills first. I was so wrong when I write that file is binary. In fact it is executable but the code inside it started from $6000. The loader loaded exe as binary. Then find the very first opcode $43f9 (which is first opcode in exe ) and then just copy code as data to location $6000.

Edit: Just for clarification loader is separate file.

Is it possible to generate executable but the code starts from fixed address, like $6000 ?
I use Asm-One and org $6000 but of course I trashed gfx memory. I know that there is LOAD directive but should I also use Abs memory when I run Asm-One and there are options about choosing space ?

Now I think that I will analyze exe header and perhaps is possible to generate some kind of mock file with fixed header and tail. Then inject data and then compare files.

Last edited by Asman; 17 December 2019 at 13:01. Reason: added clarification about loader file
Old 17 December 2019, 13:43   #13
ross
Per aspera ad astra

Quote:
Is it possible to generate executable but the code starts from fixed address, like $6000 ?
If it's not inconvenient for you, you can use a utility in the WHDLoad package called 'Reloc'.
It take a normal hunk exe and create a binary relocated to an absolute memory position.
You can then create a little stub that copy this binary data to the defined position and launch it (with a different WinUAE session).
Old 17 December 2019, 14:32   #14
ross
Per aspera ad astra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
SYM/SYMBOLS/Custom Bases/- Base #x -/Use-> $value
Now I even remember why I used Custom Bases instead of LABELS/Create single/Symbol (even if the effect is the same).
I had some recurring patterns and I was comfortable using the 'Use' function repeatedly.
I realized because I'm having a similar situation case
Old 17 December 2019, 16:00   #15
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
I was so wrong when I write that file is binary. In fact it is executable but the code inside it started from $6000. The loader loaded exe as binary.
Raw binaries were often written as hunk-format executables, because the assembler or linker in use couldn't output anything else. The important question is: does the executable have relocation hunks? If not, you may also ignore the hunk-format header.

Quote:
Definitely not with hunk-format executables. They are always relocated and loaded to any free address by LoadSeg().

Quote:
Now I think that I will analyze exe header and perhaps is possible to generate some kind of mock file with fixed header and tail. Then inject data and then compare files.
Maybe you should only compare the binary part, when it is an absolute raw binary and the hunk-format structure is irrelevant.

You can easily convert a hunk-format executable into a raw binary with vlink:
vlink -brawbin1 -Tldscript -o binary hunkexe

With a linker script (called ldscript, see -T option) like this to relocate the program to $6000:
Code:
SECTIONS {
        . = 0x6000;
        out: { *(*) }
}
Old 17 December 2019, 17:39   #16
Asman

@ross - thanks a lot. Indeed Reloc from WHDload did the job.

@phx - thanks a lot. The executable do not have any relocation hunks at all. There is only single HUNK_CODE. But I must admit that linker script is really magic for me, especially this *(*). For sure I need to learn how to write such script. Do you have any docs about it ?

Important for me is that now I can compare resourced source with binary data. As I checked I had about 40 bytes different in very first comparision. Binary data has 28112 bytes.
Old 17 December 2019, 23:07   #17
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
There is only single HUNK_CODE.
Ok. So it was indeed an absolute binary file, embedded in hunk-format.

Quote:
But I must admit that linker script is really magic for me, especially this *(*).
Just noticed that Ross' suggestion with "Reloc" does exactly the same. That's probably easier, as long as you don't want to link more complex scenarios (for example output specific files or sections at other fixed addresses).

Short explanation: Before the ':' you have the name of the output section. It's "out" in this case. We don't care, as the result is a raw binary file, with one consecutive region. Within the {...} you define the input sections which are linked into the given output section.

The pattern in front of the parenthesis matches the file names to link, and the pattern within the parenthesis matches the section names. In our case we just want to merge all sections which are there, so "*(*)".

Quote:
For sure I need to learn how to write such script. Do you have any docs about it ?
https://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/...pter/ld_3.html
That's for GNU-ld, but vlink should support most of it.