English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 May 2019, 12:29   #1
Mark sealey

Amiga A500 Cpu cards...options/Upgrades

Hi you lot.

Right Now i have aw working A500 rev 6a im looking to turn it into a monster A500....Now i know there is the Vampire V2...with a long waiting list...

And the ACA500+ available now

Is there anything else i have missed....? That is Available NOW lol.

Im getting a Zorro adapter soon so will have a Zorro slot......I had hoped to get a Graphics card but the ACA500+ has too much fast ram on it and the only Graphics card i can find has 4 megs memory...if im right i only can have 16meg address space...?

What i need......

IDE support so i can add cf/sd

some speed

fast mem

No DMA problems so i can use the zorro slot.

Sorry in advance if im Technically wrong in some way....lol

King Ragards

Mark
Old 24 May 2019, 12:32   #2
Jope
-

wicher, hc508, hc533
Old 24 May 2019, 13:14   #3
Pollock

I use a Matze TK68030 in my A500+, nice little card, although no maprom and only 4my RAM, nearly 11,000 dhrystones.

Old 24 May 2019, 13:23   #4
Jope
-

Ah, now I read all of it. The no DMA problems part will probably kill all of your dreams. Wait until you find a GVP 530 and be happy.
Old 24 May 2019, 13:29   #5
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
wicher, hc508, hc533
Where can i buy one of these....?

Thanks for the quick reply.
Old 24 May 2019, 13:30   #6
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
I use a Matze TK68030 in my A500+, nice little card, although no maprom and only 4my RAM, nearly 11,000 dhrystones.

Are these still Available...?
Old 24 May 2019, 13:48   #7
Pollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark sealey View Post
Are these still Available...?
Amibay is your friend DJ Cook builds them, comes with accelerator, CPU relocator, and CF card IDE adapter. Very good build quality.

Witcher is a nice little card if you can find one, although used prices seem to be very optimistic, hugely overpriced. It's still just basically a 68000, the 030 has far Better peformance
Old 24 May 2019, 14:10   #8
Mark sealey

Quote:
Amibay is your friend DJ Cook builds them, comes with accelerator, CPU relocator, and CF card IDE adapter. Very good build quality.

Witcher is a nice little card if you can find one, although used prices seem to be very optimistic, hugely overpriced. It's still just basically a 68000, the 030 has far Better peformance

Thank you.....ive tried to Register on Amibay but it wont let me...keep getting a "try again later" error....my user name Mark Sealey is in use but i cant recover my password as it says my email is wrong.

My dream setup would be...

A500
Zorro slot with GFX card
some fast mem
Cpu Upgrade

Not much lol

Thanks

Mark
Old 24 May 2019, 14:22   #9
Pollock

Quote:
Thank you.....ive tried to Register on Amibay but it wont let me...keep getting a "try again later" error....my user name Mark Sealey is in use but i cant recover my password as it says my email is wrong.

My dream setup would be...

A500
Zorro slot with GFX card
some fast mem
Cpu Upgrade

Not much lol

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

I assume your talking about RTG, and how you would do this on A500, i dont know, i am sure more learned users will correct me. As far as i am aware you would need a big box Amiga for a Zorro Gfx card. but ask yourself why do you want it? RTG looks great on your desktop, and yeah opening images and screen updates on the OS are much quicker etc. but games have to have an RTG patch to work with an external card, some games do, but these tend to be AGA games. In short, using RTG (if you mean using a video card) will do very little to improve gaming performance.
Old 24 May 2019, 15:52   #10
Mark sealey

Quote:
Hi Mark

I assume your talking about RTG, and how you would do this on A500, i dont know, i am sure more learned users will correct me. As far as i am aware you would need a big box Amiga for a Zorro Gfx card. but ask yourself why do you want it? RTG looks great on your desktop, and yeah opening images and screen updates on the OS are much quicker etc. but games have to have an RTG patch to work with an external card, some games do, but these tend to be AGA games. In short, using RTG (if you mean using a video card) will do very little to improve gaming performance.
Thanks for the reply

I don't play many games at the moment....I just wanted a real Amiga with a full colour workbench.

Im on the list for a A500 Zorro adapter...at this rate I'll end up getting a Vampire v2.
Old 25 May 2019, 05:58   #11
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
I’m also looking at building a non Vampirized A500 beast. I have a SubSystemA500 which offers 2x Zorro ports AND a pass through as well.
I didn’t know an internal accelerator board could prevent the Zorro port to be used! Can someone elaborate?
I was targeting a TF 030 card...
Old 25 May 2019, 11:23   #12
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb132 View Post
I’m also looking at building a non Vampirized A500 beast. I have a SubSystemA500 which offers 2x Zorro ports AND a pass through as well.
I didn’t know an internal accelerator board could prevent the Zorro port to be used! Can someone elaborate?
I was targeting a TF 030 card...
Its all about Memory space...(16meg)...part of a email from a friend of mine....

About the 16MB thing, well yes and no. The 68000 (and later chips with cut-down address buses like the EC020 in the A1200) can address 16MB of space. However, that's the entire address map of the machine, and lots of that space is taken up or reserved for other things. For example, the first 2MB are reserved for chip RAM, and 1MB is reserved for Kickstart, leaving 13MB. Then the A500 has 1.5MB of space for "slow" RAM - fast RAM that sits on the chip RAM bus, so is as slow as chip RAM but can't be used for chip RAM things. The custom chips, CIAs and various other functions take up lots of other small chunks, leaving 8MB for the Zorro-II space. To get beyond that you need a fully 32-bit CPU and a board to support it, such as a full '020 or above, or a Vampire. CPU cards that don't use the full 32-bit space will have to share the same 8MB as all other Zorro expansions.

The TF530 is a 2meg card...? so would not take not as much space...i wanted to use a ACA500+(5meg) with a Zorro adapter.....and a Graphics card but the Graphics card needs to be 2mb.
Old 25 May 2019, 15:40   #13
Pollock

Quote:
Its all about Memory space...(16meg)...part of a email from a friend of mine....

About the 16MB thing, well yes and no. The 68000 (and later chips with cut-down address buses like the EC020 in the A1200) can address 16MB of space. However, that's the entire address map of the machine, and lots of that space is taken up or reserved for other things. For example, the first 2MB are reserved for chip RAM, and 1MB is reserved for Kickstart, leaving 13MB. Then the A500 has 1.5MB of space for "slow" RAM - fast RAM that sits on the chip RAM bus, so is as slow as chip RAM but can't be used for chip RAM things. The custom chips, CIAs and various other functions take up lots of other small chunks, leaving 8MB for the Zorro-II space. To get beyond that you need a fully 32-bit CPU and a board to support it, such as a full '020 or above, or a Vampire. CPU cards that don't use the full 32-bit space will have to share the same 8MB as all other Zorro expansions.

The TF530 is a 2meg card...? so would not take not as much space...i wanted to use a ACA500+(5meg) with a Zorro adapter.....and a Graphics card but the Graphics card needs to be 2mb.

You're friend has given you some sound advice. The PCMCIA slot (which is VERY useful, trust me) shares memory space with Z2 RAM, meaning that cards with 9MB Ram etc, can boot with only 4MB, or the PCMCIA slot is disabled, and again this functionality is changed slightly between KS3.0 and 3.1. The point is, The Amiga doesn't have "protected memory" as we would know it, it's always something to bear in mind.

If your buying an accelerator, make 4MB onboard, as your BARE minimum. Even on a 4GB CF card, with WBClassic Lite installed, and all the fat trimmed off, i have 1.9MB Chip ram free, and about 2.8Mb Fast ram free, once you start to drill down folders this soon gets munched up. If you would wanna use iGame, and why wouldn't you, its great, your really gonna need 8MB as a bare minimum. Even with a 4MB card, i find the icon on my desktop i run the most, is "ClearRAM", i dread to think what it would be like with only 2MB of extra fast RAM. I can imagine only 600-700K free, after the partition information is loaded into memory.

food for thought.
Old 25 May 2019, 21:02   #14
Mark sealey

It seems my plan is not a very good one lol....so its a Vampire or ACA500+ is the way to go.
Old 25 May 2019, 21:14   #15
project23
Used Register

Just my 2 cents... If you're after a great hobby electronics project, the TF530 is pretty amazing. But as an actual accelerator card it lacks the memory to run all games through WHDLoad, or massive icon sets or the like.

With 1mb chip it performs pretty great, really, and a lot of games do run but you'll find a lot still require floppies/gotek. So if you don't mind this, it really is a good card - but just be mindful of what it is you're getting/building.

Good luck!

John
Old 26 May 2019, 11:50   #16
Mark sealey

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
Just my 2 cents... If you're after a great hobby electronics project, the TF530 is pretty amazing. But as an actual accelerator card it lacks the memory to run all games through WHDLoad, or massive icon sets or the like.

With 1mb chip it performs pretty great, really, and a lot of games do run but you'll find a lot still require floppies/gotek. So if you don't mind this, it really is a good card - but just be mindful of what it is you're getting/building.

Good luck!

John
So true...as said the ACA500+ looks like the best all round option.....it even will convert my A512 trapdoor into Chip.

Mark
Old 26 May 2019, 15:12   #17
Pollock

Quote:
So true...as said the ACA500+ looks like the best all round option.....it even will convert my A512 trapdoor into Chip.

Mark
i wouldnt get an ACA500+, but then again, i hate having an external card hanging out the arse of the Amiga. if you get an ACA500, then you also have to buy another accelerator to get the best out of it. and strangely enough, ACA cards seem to work the best with it.

sometimes a reasonable 030 accelerator comes up on Ebay every once in a while.

A Vampire 2 is fast, but TBH, playing games on either my Vampire 2, or A1200 with 68060, or A1200 with a 1233n, is a very similar experience.
Old 26 May 2019, 20:39   #18
Mark sealey

Quote:
i wouldnt get an ACA500+, but then again, i hate having an external card hanging out the arse of the Amiga. if you get an ACA500, then you also have to buy another accelerator to get the best out of it. and strangely enough, ACA cards seem to work the best with it.

sometimes a reasonable 030 accelerator comes up on Ebay every once in a while.

A Vampire 2 is fast, but TBH, playing games on either my Vampire 2, or A1200 with 68060, or A1200 with a 1233n, is a very similar experience.
i did get offered a TF530 030/25 card 2meg fast for £115 but i hear the Agnus gets hot underneath it....I dont mind the ACA500+ sticking out the side as i have a A500 case spare i was going to "cut n Shut" to make a A590 style case for it.
Old 26 May 2019, 20:58   #19
project23
Used Register

I know there are other factors at play here, but with a 68k relocator the 530 shouldn't really be covering the agnus. Like this:

The relocator does cover the Agnus but I don't think this is much of a problem. You'll have the same issue with any CPU-socket bound accelerator like the wicher for instance.

I think fitting something into an A590 case is a nice idea.

EDIT: There's no reason in my mind why a 530 card at that price shouldn't be running an 030 at 50MHz. The price difference between the 030/25 and the 030/33 is pretty negligible (although they may have gotten a deal for a boat load of 25's... Unfortunately i believe the 030/25 doesn't overclock particularly well. The 030/33 usually runs happily all the way up to 50)
Old 27 May 2019, 12:29   #20
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Also, the TF530 (or is it the 534?) has its onboard memory in zorro3 space, so the 8MB zorro2 space is still available (for a 4MB gfx card, for example).