English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 May 2019, 12:08   #1
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
SubSystem A500 from Pacific Peripherals

Hi everyone,

I just got my hands on a SubSystem500 which allows the Amiga 500 to have 2x Zorro II ports (like A2000) and an external floppy drive.
It's a very exciting piece of hardware I will restore it carefully.

- The PCB is in mint condition.
- The floppy drive looks really great but will be replaced by a beige one.

- The case needed a good clean and all the screws need replacement, which they will receive.

It's now time to put it back together, but I have one little issue: I do not have the power original power supply and I don't know the specifications of it. Would someone have one and is able to confirm it's only +5V as it seems to be when I look at the circuits? Thanks a lot. I'm interested in knowing the Amps as well.

My intention is to install a small internal PSU inside the 1U rack and to power it directly from the back. I'll replace the DIN connector and the switch for something 240V / 10Amps rated. The internal PSU will have capacity to power +5V and +12V but I will only use the +5V for the Zorro II boards as I believe the +12V comes directly from the floppy cable.

Any hint for the power supply would be appreciated. If you have one of these, please post photos. I will add more pictures if this thread gets some interest.

The SubSystem500 will be connected to an A500+ with internal accelerator and all bells and whistles for classic (not Vampire). Interesting bit is there is a pass-through for the A500 Zorro Port so I should be able to use a GVP HD8. As for the Zorro card I'll be looking at a Picasso II (or GBA PII) and a XSurf3 or Ariadne II network card, which I need to buy, so I'm taking offers too, lol.

Old 02 May 2019, 12:31   #2
Jope
-

You could probably just measure it against the amiga bus connector, to find out which voltage goes to which pin.

Probably it has +5 +12 -12.
Old 02 May 2019, 12:37   #3
seb132
French in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
You could probably just measure it against the amiga bus connector, to find out which voltage goes to which pin.

Probably it has +5 +12 -12.
Thanks.

The PCB receives only +5V from the DIN connector (I followed the continuity up to the +5V pad on the Zorro port, I have no doubt about that.

And there are only 2 cables going to the PCB. One is the ground, the other is the +5V. The PCB as no power supply circuit onboard either. I'll post pictures shortly.

I'm just looking for people who would have this peripheral in hands and who could tell me more about the original PSU.

The +12V is only for the floppy and comes from the DB23 at the rear.
Old 03 May 2019, 12:04   #4
seb132
French in Australia

So, here are some pictures of the internal PCB (very simple).

First of all, the electrical circuit with only 2 wires coming from the DIN connector and going to the PCB and to the rocker switch at the front of the case:

With a little zoom on the DIN connector receiving the external power supply (which I don't have). It's not obvious as I have de-soldered the black wire to remove the connector from the case but each wire is connected to 2 pins to increase the amps through the plug:

Now the floppy drive controller circuit, on the PCB and the 3 connectors for the flat ribbons:
- the 26 pins receive the connection from the DB23 floppy port from the Amiga
- the 34 pin is going to the floppy drive
- the small 4 pin on the right are the power connector for the floppy drive.

We can also see where the power supply arrived on the board from the PSU:

And finally the "back" of the PCB with the 2x Zorro ports for the boards and the Zorro pass-through (on the right) to connect an A590 or an HD8+ external hard drive (or an ACA500+ ?). We can see a red wire which seems to be the +12V going to the floppy power cable connector:

Any suggestion ?

Last edited by seb132; 03 May 2019 at 12:11.
Old 20 May 2019, 08:28   #5
seb132
French in Australia

So here are the changes I decided to make to the original design:

- integration of a small industrial PSU (60W) delivering +5V to the PCB and powering the floppy drive directly (with +5V and +12V);

- PSU is internal so new wiring harness installed and DIN connector replaced by direct power cable and nice pass-through grommet. Harness is fully isolated and installed low to allow for Zorro boards clearance if/when installed;

- ON/OFF switched replaced by 250V rated one;

- internal fuse installed;

- floppy drive replaced by A2000 one (beige). Waiting for delivery from eBay on that one...

- aluminium case thoroughly cleaned (as new!) and all screws and spacers replaced by new stainless steel fasteners;

I have also designed a plastic bracket which will be hot-glued inside the case and onto which the PSU will be screwed in place. Print is at Shapeways at the moment and coming to Australia soon... I can’t completely close the case yet but hopefully next week.

Now photos...

I’ll publish more photos when the case will be properly closed.

Project will go with A500+ with TF534 and dual boot 1.3/3.1 (with Indivision ECS V2).

I’m looking for a PicassoII and a network card (Ariadne2 or Xsurf or other ZorroII card), and an A570 to be used on the pass-through Zorro bus on the side of the SubSystem500. If you have any of these for sale, please PM me. :-)

Will be a nice little classic system once completed. Thanks for watching. :-)