English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 July 2012, 10:20   #21
sovietconscript

well not much progress. most of my prior experence with amiga has been with an A500 which was basicly a pop in a disk click and icon and play system and a A1200T that already had the cd drive configured so all this delving into the amiga OS is new to me which probibly isnt helping at all.

i tried running the new installer which brought up a window that seemingly said a bunch of irrelevent things but thats it. it didn't seem to install anything. i pretty much clicked on everything and attempted every combo with 2 IDE drives and a scsi drive i could think of and multiple cd's and nothing. the only shred of progress was in the IDEfix folder there is a large "finddevice" icon, when i have the scsi drive connected and go into it and scan it does indeed detect the drive even identifying the manufacturer. i select "use" go out and....nothing. i also checked my L: and i did have a file in there "CDfilesystem" if thats what bdb was refering to.

i'm pretty annoyed with something that should be so simple as connecting a CD drive and my ignorence of the OS isnt helping me. i appriciate everyones help but i may just save up some cash and maybe snag a HDD off someone with OS 3.5 or 3.9 pre loaded in the future.
Old 19 July 2012, 10:27   #22
bdb

OK, if you pm me with your email address I'll send you some attachments to get your CD/DVD drive operational. Add a request for anything you can think of that will fit on a 720K floppy; sneaker-net works better with a CF card or USB; but USB solutions on the Amiga are hard as hell to come by with spending $$$

Do you have Lha? (For un-archiving files)
Old 20 July 2012, 00:08   #23
sovietconscript

got it!

bdb, you triggered a thought when you pm'ed me and mentioned the cd0 mount file. i decided to take a closer look. i remembered from the scsi drive and useing the detect button it detected my scsi drive at gvpscsi, my mount was configured for just scsi so i changed it to gvpscsi and the immediatly recagnized the cd. looks like after work tongiht i'm going to attempt to install OS 3.9 and we should be in good shape. thanks everyone for all the help its been very much appriciated.
Old 20 July 2012, 16:37   #24
bdb

Well let us know how it all turns out when you have a chance
Old 20 July 2012, 23:13   #25
sovietconscript

well, i installed OS 3.9 but now i have alot of "minor issues". i guess these are more software then hardware issues now but i'll just number them for ease

1) to make my cd drive run i have to manually go into EXPANSIONS and click CD0. is there a way to make this active automaticly on startup?

2) I seem to be stuck on the 4 color pallette. if i go into Pallette and choose "muticolor" nothing happens regardless if I click save or use, does the fact i'm useing a commodore RGB monitor or have removed the battery have anything to do with this? games run fine with all the correct colors...well the few games i can get running via the DD.

3)on booting up the OS i get
cannot open "resource library" version 44, unable to run "AMIDOCK"
i click to continue and everything boots up seemingly fine.

4) i cant seem to run alot of programs, for instance i cant unzip and ziped files (i thought LHA was included in OS 3.9?) and even when i manually select the LHA program to unzip something nothing happens. do I have to have the LHA file in a specific drawer? also when i go to do something like for example install WDHload i get the message "unable to open your tool 'C:installer' then i get the option to retry abort or choose anouther program...i'm suspecting that has to do with files needing to be in specific places but i have no idea what file and where. I also have this issue trying to install BoingBag1 and thus have been unable to.

last time i touched an Amiga was about 2 years ago when i had my 1200T up and running and i never had any issues with that system on getting things running, unzipping or installing and running whdload.
Old 21 July 2012, 00:59   #26
bdb

1). You can mount the CD0 with this line in user-startup:
C:Mount DevsosDrivers/CD0

2). Your ScreenMode must have more than 4 colors to display more than 4 colors. If you are using AGA, 16 is a good number of colors, then let palette select which colors

3). You don't need 3.9's AmiDock, just delete from WBStartup directory, or locate the Resouce.library Version 44 and put it in the Libs: directory

4). Lha handles ".lha" files; type "Lha ?" to get info on how it is used. Look for Unzip on Aminet.net or maybe it is just "Zip;" Get BlitzADF as well. I believe the CLI command is Lha x file.lha The Installer program may be in the Utilities or Tools directory, but place a copy in your C directory where many programs expe
ct it. OS 3.9 has a poor install routine as do BoingBag's 1 & 2; BB 3 and 4 are easier
Old 21 July 2012, 07:14   #27
Jope
-

There is no need to add separate mount commands for dosdrivers into your startup-sequence.

If the dosdriver file is in DEVS:DOSDrivers, it will be automounted. If it is in SYS:Storage/DOSDrivers, then it is not automounted, but the mount command will find it without you having to specify the full path if you want to mount it manually.

So just move CD0 to DEVS:Dosdrivers in order to get it to automount.
Old 21 July 2012, 14:08   #28
bdb

Yes, if the startup-sequence has a line that says:

C:mount Devs;Drivers\~(#?.info)

If is doesn't you can add it or if you just want CD0, the line I suggested from before

Use a ":" not a ";" as this site puts stupid icons in their place if a D is involved

And pm me with anything else I can send to help
Old 21 July 2012, 20:02   #29
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdb View Post
Use a ":" not a ";" as this site puts stupid icons in their place if a D is involved
Then how did Jope manage it above?
Old 21 July 2012, 20:48   #30
bdb

Don't know, maybe the Internet is out to get me; maybe it's my iPhone 4; Mongo just a pawn in the game of life. What do you think?
Old 21 July 2012, 20:58   #31
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
What do you think?
Well, one way of doing it is shown here:
http://eab.abime.net/misc.php?do=bbcode#noparse

Enclose the smilie-generating code in noparse tags and it won't be converted.
Old 21 July 2012, 23:58   #32
bdb

And this solves the external CD Drive access?
Old 22 July 2012, 05:31   #33
sovietconscript

still no luck, now alot of things such as "screen mode" will not open, i just get the cannot open "resource library" version 44 error.

i read that installing the boingbags may correct this but when i click to install them i get
unable to open your tool 'C:installer'

acually i get one or the other of those errors with almost any program i do attempt to use.

anyone know where i can find "resource library" version 44 ?
Old 22 July 2012, 06:27   #34
bdb

It sounds like the OS 3.9 failed to do a proper install, so re-install it

The resource.library will be on the CD; the files are just listed, so search in a Libs drawer until you find it; as I recall it is about 4 - 6 "clicks" deep
Old 22 July 2012, 14:53   #35
bdb

Actually CD0:Emergency-Boot/Libs has version 44.102
Old 23 July 2012, 07:04   #36
sovietconscript

ok, i think were getting closer to now but so many issues. thanks for the heads up on the location of the resourse library, for some reason OS 3.9 did not install it. so that leave 2 issues

1) i can now access "screenmode" and no longer get any errors refering to resource.lib. my issue with screenmode is that i cant change it to anything. i can switch to anouther setting and change colors from 4 to 16 but i have no way to save it. all i have is a test button. as soon as i close the screenmode window my settings reset. is thins from not having a battery?

2) still having issues with installing anything such as WHDload because of installer issues. at first i was getting "unable to find installer" errors so i did some reserch and discovered theres acually supposed to be a program in the C: thats used to install stuff. so I found the program and placed it into my C: drawer but now when i try to use any install programs i get "cannot open install scripts icon" error. this may be my last major hurtel here. any ideas?
Old 23 July 2012, 07:33   #37
bdb

Download Installer version 43.3 (I believe) from Aminet.net; that should be the most current. The one that shipped with 3.9 was buggy (the battery doesn't do anything but keep time) but check your Devs:Monitors for a NSTC monitor; if is not there copy it from Storage/monitors. Always do a test before saving and exiting ScreenMode. That should save you settings. Keep up the good work!
Old 23 July 2012, 09:15   #38
sovietconscript

Quote:
Download Installer version 43.3 (I believe) from Aminet.net; that should be the most current. The one that shipped with 3.9 was buggy (the battery doesn't do anything but keep time) but check your Devs:Monitors for a NSTC monitor; if is not there copy it from Storage/monitors. Always do a test before saving and exiting ScreenMode. That should save you settings. Keep up the good work!
i'm useing a 1084S monitor. i do indeed have NTSC monitor in my devs:monitor file but no luck. problems is i don't seem to have a save button, only a test button. i'm running it in NTSC: high res right now. i can change to something like NTSC: super high res and it looks fine on the test but theres no seeming way to save it so i just exit the screenmode window and nothing changes. i origionally assumed i just needed to scroll down in the window and it would be there but nope. it won't scroll down and i cant adjust the window size.

as for the installer i do have ver. 43.3 and same error. i do have one guess to the issue. i simply copied and pasted the installer files into C: its been my experence that some files need to be unzipped to where there going to work correctly (i don't know why thats the case) unfortunitly i'm out of CD-r's so i cant test this theory till i buy some more....i do hate wasting an entire cd on a 900k file.
Old 24 July 2012, 02:32   #39
bdb

I know that this is not the answer, but the "Save" button may be off screen, for me it was to low and I had forgotten to les it scroll down.
Good point on the CD-R's; I guess you could use R/W CDs.

I don't know what you have on the PC for compressed files but the program I use down a bunch of formats such as lha, tar, far, zip, and 7z. You might try another re-compression or a format with a high compactness; a lot of the Lunix-type folks compress .rar files twice which I find dumb, why not use a better compression utility the first time. The cost of a higher compression ratio is more time to de-compress it.

On the PC I use Jzip which handles many formats and is shareware