English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 February 2008, 22:43   #41
chiark
Needs a life

Well, I'm active on HPCFactor.com (I moderate the development board on there) but you won't exactly find anyone willing to take on UAE: it's simply massive.

You'll find MagnetiCE on www.chiark.com in the internet archive - however when I get a few hours I'll put the stuff back on the free space I've got... There is also another port by another chap which is probably better - sorry to be vague, but I'm trying to install 3.9 right now!
Old 05 February 2008, 22:49   #42
NLS
Ancient User

I understand... do look at Gargoyle though!
Old 07 February 2008, 03:34   #43
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
Not being picky, but it was originally developed on the Sinclair QL IIRC, then made it to the ST and Amiga, then went to other 8 bit machines.
Maybe I should have worded it better. I listed before that only 3 games in the list were Amiga originals, and The Pawn was not one of them. What I meant was that The Pawn was enhanced using the Amiga's capabilities (i.e. the speech using the Amiga's sound chip).

@andrew_rollings

Do you have an updated list? I would like to play all these games and see their good and bad points. It's great you are giving good exposure to some of the older games as they often get overlooked by flashier new releases as the programmers became more experienced and push the boundaries more.
Old 07 February 2008, 09:31   #44
chiark
Needs a life

D'oh - sorry. I must learn to read! And apols for the slight o/t-ness that I took this thread. Mea cupla!
Old 15 February 2008, 19:37   #45
andrew_rollings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgor View Post

@andrew_rollings

Do you have an updated list? I would like to play all these games and see their good and bad points. It's great you are giving good exposure to some of the older games as they often get overlooked by flashier new releases as the programmers became more experienced and push the boundaries more.
Still working on the final list... It's got most of the games included in this thread though... Once it's finalized, I'll go ahead and post it

Andrew
Old 15 February 2008, 20:35   #46
Paul_s

Andrew, sorry to go a bit off topic - any news on the C64 book with regards to release date?
Old 16 February 2008, 16:26   #47
andrew_rollings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
Andrew, sorry to go a bit off topic - any news on the C64 book with regards to release date?
Sure... The books are on their way to me. I'm expecting the delivery in a couple of weeks... Then I'll be sending out all existing orders over the following week.

Have you checked the news on the website (see my sig)? There are some photos up.

Andrew
Old 05 March 2008, 23:45   #48
cus

slightly off topic, is just a book about the best games or games with a interesting story about em, dont know what years these were but -

Great Giana Sisters - recalled called because it was a blatant mario bros rip off. Think this was about 1986

Worms - created in blitz basic for a compition in amiga format. much later than 86.

Rise of the robots- lauded as the next coming when the first screen shots appeared turned out to be one of the worst games of all time and a running joke. Much later than 86

Prince Of Persia - Noted for very early use of rotoscoping. Not sure of date.

Old 22 March 2008, 13:41   #49
merman

Send a message via MSN to merman Send a message via Yahoo to merman
Quote:
Originally Posted by cus View Post
slightly off topic, is just a book about the best games or games with a interesting story about em, dont know what years these were but -

Great Giana Sisters - recalled called because it was a blatant mario bros rip off. Think this was about 1986

Worms - created in blitz basic for a compition in amiga format. much later than 86.

Rise of the robots- lauded as the next coming when the first screen shots appeared turned out to be one of the worst games of all time and a running joke. Much later than 86

Prince Of Persia - Noted for very early use of rotoscoping. Not sure of date.
While it is aimed at being a collection of the best games, the other Golden Years books have put in games with an interesting story behind them. Both the other Andrew and I picked games we liked even if they didn't get the greatest reviews.

Great Giana Sisters... it's more famous on the C64 than the Amiga, I feel.
Rise of the Robots is definitely on the list for the humour value...
Old 22 March 2008, 13:49   #50
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cus View Post
Worms - much later than 86.
More like 96!
Old 22 March 2008, 16:57   #51
dirkies
Zone Friend

what about the Surgeon and Racter ?
Old 24 March 2008, 06:22   #52
andrew_rollings

Okay... Here's the updated 85/86 list... It should be finalized now, but we're interested in hearing any further comments or suggestions... (Note: this list may change depending on space in the book)

Archon
Arcticfox
Bard's Tale, The: Tales of the Unknown
The ChessMaster 2000
Colossal Adventure
Defender of the Crown
Deja Vu: A Nightmare Comes True
Leader Board
Marble Madness
Mind Walker
Pawn, The
Silent Service
Skyfox

Andrew

Last edited by andrew_rollings; 24 March 2008 at 13:58.
Old 24 March 2008, 09:49   #53
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Looks like a good list overall.

What was the reason for including Colossal Adventure for the Amiga?

Considered Mean 18 vs Leaderboard? (I don't know which one would be better)

Thought about Flight Simulator II? (perhaps this was more of a simulation rather than a game, although there is a game part of it).

Don't have any strong opinions on any exclusions, would like to hear your views.

EDIT: Just realised you excluded Archon. Oh well, we don't all have the same opinions.
Old 24 March 2008, 11:28   #54
merman

Send a message via MSN to merman Send a message via Yahoo to merman
Quote:

What was the reason for including Colossal Adventure for the Amiga?

Considered Mean 18 vs Leaderboard? (I don't know which one would be better)

Thought about Flight Simulator II? (perhaps this was more of a simulation rather than a game, although there is a game part of it).

Don't have any strong opinions on any exclusions, would like to hear your views.

EDIT: Just realised you excluded Archon. Oh well, we don't all have the same opinions.
Archon could make its way back in... or the sequel. Latest thought is to cover World Class Leaderboard instead. Some of these decisions are based on what has already been covered in previous books (Spectrum and C64).

FSII - undecided on this one, there are several other flight sims down for inclusion.

Colossal Adventure - because it's an early release, it's the historic "first ever adventure" in Amiga form.
Old 24 March 2008, 12:27   #55
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Colossal Adventure was never released on the Amiga on it's own though so you should instead include the Jewels of Darkness compilation.
Old 24 March 2008, 14:00   #56
andrew_rollings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgarath View Post
Colossal Adventure was never released on the Amiga on it's own though so you should instead include the Jewels of Darkness compilation.
We'll look into that...

Quote:

That should have been on the list... typo, methinks.

Andrew
Old 27 March 2008, 19:00   #57
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

@Andrew
A game that hasn't been mentioned is Monkey Business, a Donkey Kong clone released by The Other Valley Software. Reportedly, it was the first commercial game ever released for the Amiga in 1985:

http://groups.google.com.au/group/co...498cf0ec530458

Peter Olafson makes the claim in the Usenet thread above and I trust what he says for good reason. He reviewed Amiga games for Amiga World and other U.S magazines from 1985 until the the late 90s, and still has a very avid interest in games for the Amiga and other platforms (see his recent posts on EAB).

The sticking point perhaps for including Monkey Business in your book is that it can't be found anywhere on the net, and I've never seen an original copy of it being sold anywhere (although it was advertised all over the place in U.S. Amiga mags for many, many months after it's 1985 release). Perhaps a PM to Peter might uncover more about this game.

As for the games you've chosen, I think they're all pretty good choices except for Leader Board. This was very much an 8-bit game, and IMHO lost a little of its playability on the Amiga despite improving the aesthetics some. Mean 18 was more 16-bit style because it was a golf simulation as opposed to an arcade golf game ala Leader Board. Anyway, that's my 2c.....

Last edited by DrBong; 29 March 2008 at 17:57.
Old 28 March 2008, 14:03   #58
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Monkey Business review is in Amiga World May 86, page 84:

http://www.youngmonkey.ca/nose/magaz...gaWorld-r.html

AMR does not have it up yet.

Does not seem to exist in HOL.
Old 29 March 2008, 17:56   #59
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Monkey Business review is in Amiga World May 86, page 84:

http://www.youngmonkey.ca/nose/magaz...gaWorld-r.html

Does not seem to exist in HOL.
Been meaning to knock up a HOL entry for some time now, but it'd be nice if we could show some screenshots. For those curious, Atari Legend have some for the ST version:

http://www.atarilegend.com/games/gam...hp?game_id=233