Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 14 November 2022, 09:53   #481
DaMi

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4947
Old 15 November 2022, 11:43   #482
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoozerDawg View Post
Howdy folks, a question about setting up a fresh WB 3.1 install with a TF1260 .... sorry if this is the wrong place to put it!

I had a pre-made CF image with seemingly everything set up already, and SysInfo (which I think might not be the most reliable benchmark in the world .....) correctly shows it as an MMU-less 68060, with 37598 Dhrystones and a lovely Phone Me Now!!! message.

However, I'm not a fan of all the stuff included in this image, so I wanted to create a fresh 3.1 install, with only what was needed to have the 1260 running. The steps I took were -

Disabled 1260 by removing the jumper.
Fresh install of 3.1
Installed MMU libs with it's installer - deleted 68040.lib from Libs and moved 68060.lib from MMULibs in there.
Shut down and re-enabled the 1260.
Booted up no problem, all memory now showing.

However, when I run SysInfo, it shows it as a 68040, and it gets 26258 Dhrystones .... well below the previous result.

I ran AB3D and AB3D2 which both appear to be performing exactly as they did before (brilliantly), so I wondered if it was probably all actually running fine and SysInfo was being a p***s, or have a missed in important step?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm only recently having got back into Amiga's.
Do you have the 680x0.library in there also? I thought this was required to allow proper detection of the 68060.library.
Old 15 November 2022, 19:04   #483
BoozerDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
you should not delete any 68040.lib file.. if you install via the installer.all that is needed is done

Anyway sysinfo IS crap
I find the Amiga wont boot if 68040.lib is in the libs folder, just get a software error message and a boot loop, once removed it's happy (cant even load up the 3.1 install disk with the 1260 active as it has the 68040.lib on it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post

You need to run from `FASTROM` so you need to activate BURST mode on 3.1, so you need to add " CPU FASTROM BURST" to your SS sequence
Thanks, added this to the startup-sequence, but still no change, still a low score + showing as 68040.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidgerry View Post
Do you have the 680x0.library in there also? I thought this was required to allow proper detection of the 68060.library.
Just tried this now, so 68060 and 680x0 libraries in the lib folder, sadly no change again.

It must be something I am doing wrong, I never did play with startup-sequences or libs back in the day (couldnt afford a hard drive either, so my Workbench skills were limited to using Say ).

The 3.1's disks I use are ones I got from Amiga Forever, I imagine these are unmodified and shouldnt be contributing to this problem should they?
Old 17 November 2022, 12:16   #484
rabidgerry

Quote:
I find the Amiga wont boot if 68040.lib is in the libs folder, just get a software error message and a boot loop, once removed it's happy (cant even load up the 3.1 install disk with the 1260 active as it has the 68040.lib on it).

Thanks, added this to the startup-sequence, but still no change, still a low score + showing as 68040.

Just tried this now, so 68060 and 680x0 libraries in the lib folder, sadly no change again.

It must be something I am doing wrong, I never did play with startup-sequences or libs back in the day (couldnt afford a hard drive either, so my Workbench skills were limited to using Say ).

The 3.1's disks I use are ones I got from Amiga Forever, I imagine these are unmodified and shouldnt be contributing to this problem should they?
Amiga "back in the day" for me consisted of inserting floppy disks!!! So I was in the same boat.

Is a bit weird you can't boot with 68040.library in there. I thought the whole idea of the 680x0.library was to bridge the gap and allow the system to tell you have a 68060.library.

Having just checked it appears I don't have the 68040.library installed either and I never will need that as I only have 060's.

Run with this mate if you can. Ignore that apollo lib I have btw.

Last edited by rabidgerry; 17 November 2022 at 14:33.
Old 17 November 2022, 12:18   #485
rabidgerry

I was looking to add the header to the TF1260 for the fan. Does anyone know the correct spec of head I need? They seem to be all different widths upon my research into this. Also right angled pins would be best yes? Figured it would be handier to connect to the card itself and have a shorter cable run. Frees up the connection I currently use tapping the 12v rail from the floppy header.
Old 17 November 2022, 12:35   #486
Daedalus

Setpatch should indeed detect the CPU and load the appropriate library to handle the differences in compatibility. The issue with the libraries is that the 68060 is unknown by Setpatch for OS 3.1 and before. Instead, it is identified as a 68040 and loads 68040.library. With an '060 installed, that needs to be a special, dummy version of 68040.library that loads the correct 68060.library instead - if you have an actual 68040.library there (e.g. the one that is supplied with 3.1), it probably won't work properly.
Old 17 November 2022, 14:05   #487
Jope
-

This is why the mmulib installer patches setpatch for you to search for 680x0.library instead, which is the stub library in this case.

V46 and above setpatches don't need to be patched, and they don't need 680x0.library either.
Old 17 November 2022, 14:40   #488
Chucky

Quote:
I was looking to add the header to the TF1260 for the fan. Does anyone know the correct spec of head I need? They seem to be all different widths upon my research into this. Also right angled pins would be best yes? Figured it would be handier to connect to the card itself and have a shorter cable run. Frees up the connection I currently use tapping the 12v rail from the floppy header.
When i need a fan,. I simply solder the wires directly into the holes
Old 17 November 2022, 14:58   #489
supaduper

Yep as Chucky says just solder the wires to the holes as if you put a header there then it will foul with underside of the keyboard and you cant close the case and worse you will short it out
Old 17 November 2022, 16:58   #490
rabidgerry

Quote:
Yep as Chucky says just solder the wires to the holes as if you put a header there then it will foul with underside of the keyboard and you cant close the case and worse you will short it out
Shit! Really? I thought there was clearance. Well that's that idea out the window. Guess that is why I was asking about the right-angled header as I thought this would be lower.

I'll probably leave this then as if I solder wires directly it means the fan is permanently attached to the TF1260 and that just makes removal a little more awkward. Unless I wired a plug from the header further inwards? I dunno probably won't bother now.
Old 17 November 2022, 17:10   #491
supaduper

Quote:
Shit! Really? I thought there was clearance. Well that's that idea out the window. Guess that is why I was asking about the right-angled header as I thought this would be lower.

I'll probably leave this then as if I solder wires directly it means the fan is permanently attached to the TF1260 and that just makes removal a little more awkward. Unless I wired a plug from the header further inwards? I dunno probably won't bother now.

I did not try a right angled header so you might be ok..but it might then foul with the CPU socket by the looks of it lol

I did a fly lead with the header on the end
Obviously I put a dummy cap on it if not in use to stop it shorting on anything

https://i.imgur.com/1TPPDLy.jpg

Last edited by supaduper; 17 November 2022 at 17:16.
Old 17 November 2022, 17:12   #492
Falcon_11

Very good and nice idea
Old 17 November 2022, 17:41   #493
wiz12

Couldn't you have the angled header underneath the board or would there still not be enough clearance?
Old 17 November 2022, 20:11   #494
BoozerDawg

Update on the 68060 detection - a dummy 68040.library has done it, showing as 68060 and correct score now. Maybe the MMULib installer didnt install correctly?
Old 18 November 2022, 06:52   #495
Jope
-

Maybe.

Which stub 040 lib did you use? I believe the 0x0 lib included in mmulib also has some functionality in it, so ideally you should not mix and match cpu libraries from different sources.
Old 18 November 2022, 11:35   #496
rabidgerry

Quote:
I did not try a right angled header so you might be ok..but it might then foul with the CPU socket by the looks of it lol

I did a fly lead with the header on the end
Obviously I put a dummy cap on it if not in use to stop it shorting on anything

https://i.imgur.com/1TPPDLy.jpg
This is kinda what I meant here

Quote:
Unless I wired a plug from the header further inwards? I dunno probably won't bother now.
So perhaps I could do this after all Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Maybe.

Which stub 040 lib did you use? I believe the 0x0 lib included in mmulib also has some functionality in it, so ideally you should not mix and match cpu libraries from different sources.
Yes I thought this acted as the dummy library, at least it says as much in the MMU help guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
Couldn't you have the angled header underneath the board or would there still not be enough clearance?
May be but it would be awkward to access then I think.
Old 18 November 2022, 12:05   #497
Jope
-

Quote:
Yes I thought this acted as the dummy library, at least it says as much in the MMU help guide.
Quote:
Release 43.5.1
--------------
- 680x0.library: Handled the low-memory area of MuMove4K unproperly
and therefore broke MuFastZero. Fixed.
Just extrapolating from this note in the readme file. Also it used to be common practice that you must use a matching stub lib to your cpu lib (p5 vs apollo for example).
Old 18 November 2022, 13:19   #498
rabidgerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Just extrapolating from this note in the readme file. Also it used to be common practice that you must use a matching stub lib to your cpu lib (p5 vs apollo for example).

This is indeed the case I as I had to use this when I was setting up for my Apollo 1260 and swap the dummy library I had for the Apollo with the 680x0.library.

Quote:
Update on the 68060 detection - a dummy 68040.library has done it, showing as 68060 and correct score now. Maybe the MMULib installer didnt install correctly?
Glad you got sorted!!
Old 20 November 2022, 20:48   #499
BoozerDawg

So after plenty of faffing around because im the type of idiot who gets bugged out by the correct way not working .......

Turns out the SetPatch file used in the Amiga Forever 3.1 disks, despite being v40.16, is somehow different and MMULib does not recognise it, so doesnt apply the patch, meaning the 680x0.library never gets loaded and stays trying to read 68040.library (amazing what I can learn from reading the damn readme file, right? RTFM folks ).

In the readme - it mentions all about the patch to setpatch, so when doing it manually following the intructions, I would always get this error, no matter what patch file I used -

"Incorrect version of original file,
This patch can not be applied to it
Patch failed, File RAM:SetPatch.new not changed
Hit Return"

So I found a different WB3.1 disk online, grabbed the setpatch file from this, applied the patch, no errors, moved it to C: and rebooted. Now correctly working having only 680x0.library and 68060.library in the Libs drawer.

Even went as far as doing a fresh install using the disks I found online, ran the installer, and it did everything for me without fault (the installer logs made no mention of patching SetPatch with Amiga Forever disks, on this one it now does).

Blah, there you go Thanks everyone for your help with this!
Old 21 November 2022, 13:10   #500
rabidgerry

Quote:
So after plenty of faffing around because im the type of idiot who gets bugged out by the correct way not working .......

Turns out the SetPatch file used in the Amiga Forever 3.1 disks, despite being v40.16, is somehow different and MMULib does not recognise it, so doesnt apply the patch, meaning the 680x0.library never gets loaded and stays trying to read 68040.library (amazing what I can learn from reading the damn readme file, right? RTFM folks ).
This all adds up! Explains the whole identifying as a 040!

Glad you got it fixed.