English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 30 November 2019, 11:42   #21
Misclegend
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Then it is 100% guaranteed problem is not anything to do with host or emulated CPU but slow down is caused by something else. (Screen setup most likely or sound related)
well ,I had certain winuae sound issues in my new PC ( choppy sound) but now is working fine, I do not remember what I did to fix that
that could cause winuae to walk slower ?

to test winuae speed, I use the same config and hardisk file, then I disable jit and I test speed using sysinfo and sysspeed
Old 30 November 2019, 11:53   #22
Locutus

Ryzen 3900X here too, RAM speed (and configuration) is rather critical with Ryzen as there's some odd speed scaling break points.
Old 30 November 2019, 16:22   #23
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misclegend View Post
well ,I had certain winuae sound issues in my new PC ( choppy sound) but now is working fine, I do not remember what I did to fix that
that could cause winuae to walk slower ?

to test winuae speed, I use the same config and hardisk file, then I disable jit and I test speed using sysinfo and sysspeed
Most common reason probably is display updates slowing down, for example forced vsync when winuae does not want it.

Always test with windowed mode, double buffered display, no vsync. Only continue when this mode works normally.
Old 03 December 2019, 00:34   #24
White

@Pyromania
thanks, this is the right spirit for amiga, a hobby that somehow amuses us :-)

Carried out a test with a default I7 4770k 3.5ghz
windows 10 clean without optimization just installed.
I was pleasantly surprised.
E-uae with JIT activated Alien Breed The killing ground II runs very well.,
FFPlay in live stream with twitchtv (aiostreams) at 360p30 very fluid.
Version used winuae 4210 final.
Test performed using real hd via USB.
Ok I think it can do much better.
here the video, sorry I could not resist :-)

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by White; 03 December 2019 at 11:31.
Old 16 February 2020, 13:59   #25
White

@Ian
@All
I apologize if I return to this topic,
but there are many forums that talk about this topic, in most cases many are useless.
I think there are people with IT skills here.
Even if the topic is OT and I apologize for this.
I would just like to ask from personal experience in this case I am referring to the I7 4790k processor.

I am aware that the practice of overclok is completely personal and certainly there are no "standard overclocks"

But having an I7 4770k I documented myself on this topic as I always try to do.

All I need is some advice given your past experience with this processor.

I do not ask you any advice for the settings for the processor would be a very varied and boring topic.

Having purchased an i7 4770k "Costa Rica" obviously I wanted to see where it was coming from, I reached 4.5ghz with the CPU voltage ring at 1,200 and it is very stable etc. etc. and falls within the standard of this processor.

My question is simply that the processor reaches 4.7ghz but I have to raise the ring ratio to 1.375
And it works perfectly.
I read that with this frequency, even if stable, it could greatly shorten the life of the CPU.
I am not a fanatic of these things but I read that with this ring ratio at 1.375 it is actually not recommended.

So I just wanted to know if you had any experience with this.

Of course any advice from anyone who has experience with this could help me understand better.

It has nothing to do with the winuae emulation, so I apologize
I just believe that competent people can answer me.

In case this post is deleted, I think it's right, so I apologize in advance.
Thank you.
Old 16 February 2020, 14:57   #26
Misclegend
Banned

the i7 4770k is not very fast in single core , I do not think that even overclocked to 4.5gz will reach 1100 points there
https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/961

the ryzen5 3600x is faster

https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/2597

but the i9 9900ks is the faster cpu for emulation/games

https://browser.geekbench.com/processors/2600

it consumes 127w btw
Old 16 February 2020, 15:47   #27
White

Hi Misclegend,
thank you for answering
I tried geekbench 5 here the result:

Single-Core Score 1154
Multi-Core Score 4493

with overclocking I7 4770k 4.5
I have no idea how to compare them.

But I was interested in knowing the life of the CPU with that voltage 1.375 if it was normal with liquid cooling because it reaches 4.7
but as I said I would like to understand the experience of others using this core voltage.
Old 16 February 2020, 22:14   #28
Misclegend
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by White View Post
Hi Misclegend,
thank you for answering
I tried geekbench 5 here the result:

Single-Core Score 1154
Multi-Core Score 4493

with overclocking I7 4770k 4.5
I have no idea how to compare them.

But I was interested in knowing the life of the CPU with that voltage 1.375 if it was normal with liquid cooling because it reaches 4.7
but as I said I would like to understand the experience of others using this core voltage.
the life of the cpu will be short if you have overclocked it constantly
specially if you increase the voltage

overclock only when you consider it necessary, ie to play certain cpu intensive games in RPCS3 emulator,to use yuzu emulator etc
otherwise for everyday use run it at stock speed

please note all intel ending in K are ready to overclock, however those are very prone to have a short life,I have seen lot of those burned/dead, generally some overclockers make abuse of them to the extreme

Last edited by Misclegend; 16 February 2020 at 22:21.
Old 16 February 2020, 23:08   #29
White

@Misclegend
Thank you!
this was the information I was looking for.
Undoubtedly having a "k" you tend to overclok to see where it can be pushed.
I am satisfied so I will not go beyond 4.5 manually
Indeed I will probably drop to 4.2 with the OC button driven by the MSI z97 GD65 motherboard
Thanks again for your opinion, good evening!

Last edited by White; 17 February 2020 at 06:37.
Old 18 May 2020, 06:49   #30
AC/DC HACKER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misclegend View Post
the life of the cpu will be short if you have overclocked it constantly
specially if you increase the voltage

overclock only when you consider it necessary, ie to play certain cpu intensive games in RPCS3 emulator,to use yuzu emulator etc
otherwise for everyday use run it at stock speed

please note all intel ending in K are ready to overclock, however those are very prone to have a short life,I have seen lot of those burned/dead, generally some overclockers make abuse of them to the extreme

Very intriguing. I have an ASUS P6T I've been using for over 8 years, 2.80 GHz and I've overclocked it to 3.15+ often, from the time I built it and..the 2 Core is doing very, very well. However, I understand the newer CPUs run a lot hotter. I appreciate the info, as I'm consider Ryzen.
Old 18 May 2020, 10:17   #31
dreadnought

I don't really follow the high-end gaming PC scene anymore, been a few years strictly in the retro zone, but I don't recall anything about overclocking causing "short life" and would have to see some strong evidence to believe that.

That's of course if you apply reasonable values and don't go madly overboard. The OC scene is quite well informed and all's needed is to read up some write ups for your processor from trusted sources and see what do they say.

Personally I always tried to overclock only on the no-fuss level; ie with just the motherboard multiplier (no voltage) and decent fan (no liquid etc). The performance gains from going really high seem too negligible to bother. This way I ran i7 2600K (second hand bought) for several years with no problem at all.

The other thing is that all these benchmark suite scores are a bitnebulous and misleading, obviously the highest ranked processor is the fastest, but what does it really mean for real life use? Does it make any significant difference in particular applications? Then you have the price vs performance factor too. In my experience (did a lot of AAA gaming) the top shelf processors are never worth it, it's better to seek out some mid-range powerhouses.
Old 18 May 2020, 20:07   #32
AC/DC HACKER!

I haven't followed the Gaming Scene deeply in a while (2016..??) I still enjoy some newer stuff, but my interests are still very much Amiga, video editing, and other stuff way outside of sitting in front of a screen for _hours_ at a time often through a week (Ur, Atlantis+++). So I've been researching AMD Ryzen a bit, and I realllllly like the lower costs of a new Desktop of mid-range. I agree, I do not need the Highest end.

The CPU burn-out does not make sense to me, in all the builds and followups with others of builds I've made. Most of which are only fans based, not any coolers. I know they've improved but liquid does not mix well with electrics. Look, Pretty smoke!! (Laughing!) I agree with you and Toni...most benchmarks don't help for common usage. SysInfo was a nice indicator for Amiga but I wouldn't "rely on it", especially for "PC" hardware versions. They're neat for gist ideas and showing progress. I think some people get too much of a weird "hard-on" about it all.

The Ryzen 5 3600 is what I'm really looking at. I would like to boost some projects to finish them quick but not to add more to be done, and have shorter amounts of time with some stuff. Gaming isn't a big deal to me, fun sometimes (more Amiga than current 3D) but I don't care about First Person Shooters much. I much prefer adventures, thinker stuff. Puzzle solving.

Being able to use WinUAE with it, with a bit more ability to maintain some speeds for other stuff is a factor. With this 10+ year machine, running WinUAE impacts my Duel Core, well..that's to be expected, which then slows the multi-thread video editing. It looks like that won't be a problem with the 3600. Anyone else doing this or other stuff to use the Cores/threads? I mean, not just gaming but other programs?
Old 25 May 2020, 17:29   #33
White

Hi AC/DC HACKER!,
The prices have dropped for the 3600 on amazon, it would be an excellent choice I think, in case you buy it it would be interesting to see the performance in winuae for me, especially in 4.1FE
If you like, keep me informed
I leave you one of the prices found on amazon:
https://tinyurl.com/yayg8g85
motherboard msi, cpu ryzen 3600, ram 16gb

The prices are currently very affordable.

Last edited by White; 05 June 2020 at 20:37.
Old 25 May 2020, 21:01   #34
AC/DC HACKER!

At Amazon the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler with MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Motherboard is what I've been watching. Which is now showing as Unavailable. However, before they were showing available by early next month.

I know you're really, really interested in OS 4.1.1FE, but I'm more interested in all around. Interesting that where you are they're still showing a price. Yup, that prices are a lot better than Intel stuff, and I'd be very pleased to return to AMD.
Old 26 May 2020, 11:11   #35
Misclegend
Banned

nope guys you are wrong
intels cpu are always faster for emulators and games
also on rpcs3 having a haswell or newer cpu you can enable TSX instuctions which gain some FPS

for the price of the ryzen 3600 is better to get the core i5 9600k which is faster and much more overclockleable if you need extra speed for some emulator

also the new i5 10600k is a better option, you need a new socket 1200 motherboard btw
Old 26 May 2020, 20:22   #36
AC/DC HACKER!

Intel's CPUs aren't always faster. Plenty of people already point to that and I've built systems. Anyway, I'm not going to get into a debate. I'm not a big gamer, I have many other things do to with my time and life than just look at a screen most of the time and listen to other people "trash talk". I enjoy games once in a while, and I don't see any problem with the parts I'm looking at from AMD. Toni has already commented about Ryzen doing well (find his post somewhere..) with WinUAE. He's the programmer of WinUAE, so I tend to trust his knowledge also. I've read plenty of posts about overclocking not being needed for a lot of stuff. Some people, especially kids, think that overclocking is a must. For heavy 3D usage, sure.. If you spend (WOW!) 5 to 8+ hours "gaming" then you might because you're probably into First Person Shooters, and I don't care about those (mostly).

I'd be using it for Hackint0sh (Mimic my MacBook Pro; and I'm DONE supporting Apple and their screwball waaaaay over priced hardware), USB 3.x, Video Editing, some games, WinUAE, and onboard SSD...which also means newer SATA connections...which means faster transfer rates. Besides, it's not merely about CPU speed. Hardware considerations, USB 3 and GOOD solid USB 2.zero support, and more are important. I'm not into throw away hardware. Next build is going to have, or seem to have, good hardware to last for another several years.
Old 15 June 2020, 21:39   #37
White

Tomorrow I'm going to order the ryzen 3600
this is the motherboard I would like to take:
MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
and this is ram memory:
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz C16 16 GB (2 X 8 GB)
Hoping that the 4.1FE emulation will be faster, remaining only on the winuae theme.
I can't spend much, but it would be interesting to have advice on the motherboard (I estimated the cost around 100 euros).
Thanks for any suggestions and sorry if I ask for advice
Old 16 June 2020, 23:52   #38
AC/DC HACKER!

We bought close to the same system. 16GB of RAM as well, I haven't needed more than that. What do you mean by WinUAE theme?? Anyway, OS 4.1.1FE should run well, but I don't see it running any faster since it doesn't use JIT and shuts off 68K hardware emulation.

MSI PMG X570 Gaming Plus (I don't care about the "game colors").
3600 6-Core 12 Threads (this will be very helpful for video editing)
Vengence LPX 16GB RAM (2x 8).

Why be sorry for asking for advice?!?!

I'm not expecting speed boosts from WinUAE but it could happen. It will be nice to have Win7 with it. Should also "fix" a little audio bug that Toni has typed is related to some on-board hardware. I suspect that WinUAE should run well with this while I also have other renders happening.
Old 17 June 2020, 08:53   #39
White

I don't have a big budget, it would be easy to choose other components in this case, currently I have a geforce 970 gtx 4gb that I will replace as soon as possible, but also in a year with the advent of the unreal engine 5 etc. basic standards will change.
While for the use of other applications I imagine that there are only benefits.
I'm also curious to try qemu and many other applications, streaming etc.
I apologized because the topic is not inherent to winuae, but I am aware that many users have the right experience also to give advice for other uses of the PC
For amigaos 4.1FE (winuae) I imagine that even if in single thread the Ryzen 3600 does not differ much from an I5-I7 at least looking at the benchmarks, but with the new ram components etc. I expect a 30-40% increase in winuae for 4.1FE (I hope)
Here a video of two years ago remaining in theme "Amiga" with an I5-2400 I tested qemu with the 4.1 (sam460) and Morphos then I have no longer deepened also here I expect a further increase.
Having been born in the period of "pong" it is nice for me to see technology as it has grown over time and today you can do too many things to use everything together and for me it is nice to talk about computer science with those who have an open mind in this sector .
As soon as everything arrives I will finally start using the new PC, probably today, once you have activated win10 enterprise and make backups and various downloads of other applications.

So are you already using the new system with ryzen?
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 18 June 2020, 02:13   #40
AC/DC HACKER!

I don't stream anything. The quality is too low for me. Netflix's quality is too low (I rent BDs and DVDs only), same with Hulu and the rest. Bllleeeech. I remember Pong, as well as my Atart 2600, Commodore 64 was a HUGE..then the Amiga. That rocked everything! The C64 was pretty sweet too. I'm not much into Science, but I do appreciate computers. Same with animals, and the Earth. A lot of "gamers" today seem to forget that there are real animals on the planet.

One of my parts arrived already. WinUAE will be one of my first programs to check with. I don't expect any problems other than getting Windows 7 to run. I'm cool with dealing with that & making it happen. I won't go Win10...it's too ugly for me. I picked this Motherboard because Windows 7 is possible to get running on it. I have attempted many times to enjoy Windows 10, it's not happening. Everyone I know also think the same way. Put Windows 10 in the trash as for looks. If you have a job at the State, you're stuck with it Professionally.

It'll be...a few more days before I have the other components. I'm pretty excited.