English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 22 January 2011, 14:37   #1681
Amigaman

For anyone who is interested, I have updated my projects;

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=731398#post731398

For Fitzsteve, you can see how the Indivision and A630 just about fit together. Also, out the back comes the Indivisions output.

Now all that is left to put in is a USB card.
Old 22 January 2011, 15:21   #1682
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockersuke View Post
Then you'll love to know that just setting maprom on made my 7.01 jump to... 7.17!
Ahahah... *bites knuckles*
Old 22 January 2011, 16:13   #1683
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigaman View Post
For anyone who is interested, I have updated my projects;

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=731398#post731398

For Fitzsteve, you can see how the Indivision and A630 just about fit together. Also, out the back comes the Indivisions output.

Now all that is left to put in is a USB card.
Nice work, thanks for that. Hope to pick up an ACA630 real soon - just juggling money around at the moment
Old 22 January 2011, 16:26   #1684
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Nice work, thanks for that. Hope to pick up an ACA630 real soon - just juggling money around at the moment
There selling really fast.
Old 22 January 2011, 16:31   #1685
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
There selling really fast.
Yeah it sucks if I miss out, but at least I have the Apollo which I'll be able to use with a modified socket for the Indi ECS. Not ideal but I can't order the ACA before I've got the money in hand, I love Amiga's but not enough to borrow money to fund them
Old 22 January 2011, 17:46   #1686
Wasagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
They fit fine together, just floppy issue.
Always my problem
Old 22 January 2011, 18:09   #1687
cv643d

Any news on the ACA520?
Old 22 January 2011, 18:34   #1688
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cv643d View Post
Any news on the ACA520?
Nothing written in stone. We're discussing some ideas over at a1k.org, where different opinions about "what's an A500 good for" have been expressed.

It's really nothing that has been decided yet, as Indivision AGA MK2 is top on my list.

Jens
Old 22 January 2011, 18:55   #1689
PulsatingQuasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Nothing written in stone. We're discussing some ideas over at a1k.org, where different opinions about "what's an A500 good for" have been expressed.

It's really nothing that has been decided yet, as Indivision AGA MK2 is top on my list.

Jens
Any idea when that top of the list for the Indivision results in something that can be bought?
Old 22 January 2011, 21:07   #1690
vroom6sri

He grins manically!

I am LOVIN' my 28mhz A1200 with 62MB Fast RAM.

Thanks soooooooooooooooooo much for these cards.
Old 23 January 2011, 14:09   #1691
Lockon
Air supremacy

Quote:

Jens
Is there any particular reason why 68030 is ruled out in favor of 68020 in eventual acc. design for A500 ?
I'm sure your design would outclass any so far known A500 68020 solution in both performance and feature set, but is that really a cost-effective maximum ?
Old 23 January 2011, 15:00   #1692
p@rity

I seem to have a bit of an issue with the socket on the A630/25. I installed a 630/30 on another machine earlier and noticed that the socket had to be pushed to ensure it covered the CPU all the way.

With the 25 version though, if I push it all the way, a click sounds and the A600 doesn't boot (white screen, no disk activity). When I lift it slightly, the system works great and has worked for days. However, this morning it started generating a Watchdog error (caps lock blinking). After wiggling the accelerator a bit, the A600 started to boot normal again and runs solid without any errors for hours on end.

The 68000 CPU legs were cleaned before installation, so I can rule out corrossion. Also, the Caps in the system have all been replaced (properly).

Amiga 600HD (rev. 2B)
A601 Memory Expansion (added and removed to test)
A630/25
Brand new capacitor set
Classic WB Green Alien
External Rom 3.1 (tested)
Internal Rom 2.1 (tested)

Old 23 January 2011, 21:09   #1693
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
I am LOVIN' my 28mhz A1200 with 62MB Fast RAM.
Thanks soooooooooooooooooo much for these cards.
I have to concur here...
I wasn't sure what to expect with the "slower" of the cards.
And it probably helps that it is my fastest Amiga. I don't own/haven't used a faster one, not counting WinUAE, which I mostly use for testing before transfer.

But, I can browse the web (Yes, newer sites are slow, but good old aminet.net is fine, and I expect that to be my most used site from the Amiga).

And even the FPS games are running much faster than I expected them too.
I just tried Breathless a bit last night, and it seemed much faster than I thought it might, and at a very playable speed (for me)...

I'm thinking this card is just the right speed/cost combination for me...

Thanx!

desiv
Old 23 January 2011, 21:15   #1694
Nikolaj_sofus

Send a message via MSN to Nikolaj_sofus
There has been some talks about microfractures/bad solderings on the 68000 cpu, which caused the lose of connection when the cpu socket was pushed over the cpu.
Sounds like that could be it, since it works when the card is not pushed completely into place.
Think that i red somewhere in this thread, that amigakit could help solve the problem if thats where you bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p@rity View Post
I seem to have a bit of an issue with the socket on the A630/25. I installed a 630/30 on another machine earlier and noticed that the socket had to be pushed to ensure it covered the CPU all the way.

With the 25 version though, if I push it all the way, a click sounds and the A600 doesn't boot (white screen, no disk activity). When I lift it slightly, the system works great and has worked for days. However, this morning it started generating a Watchdog error (caps lock blinking). After wiggling the accelerator a bit, the A600 started to boot normal again and runs solid without any errors for hours on end.

The 68000 CPU legs were cleaned before installation, so I can rule out corrossion. Also, the Caps in the system have all been replaced (properly).

Amiga 600HD (rev. 2B)
A601 Memory Expansion (added and removed to test)
A630/25
Brand new capacitor set
Classic WB Green Alien
External Rom 3.1 (tested)
Internal Rom 2.1 (tested)
Old 23 January 2011, 21:37   #1695
Paul_s

Quote:

Jens
Some of the peope on a1k.org don't sound like Amiga fans to me. The A500 is a great machine and shouldn't be left to rot. The 500 has some of the best expansions I've seen and (to me) it's a nicer machine than the 600. We owe a lot to the legacy of the 500 - for most of us here we started with 500's

In anycase an accelerator for the 500 would be usable with the 1000, 2000 & CDTV so they are talking out of their hats AGA isn't everything!

Last edited by Paul_s; 23 January 2011 at 21:44.
Old 23 January 2011, 22:12   #1696
Lockon
Air supremacy

Well said about A500 legacy, but I didn't felt same hostile guard. Most of those people are Amiga users, perhaps few of them are more active on forum and being using less dominant Amiga models like A1000 or CDTV. A2000 is in almost same respect as A500, underrated but still rather unknown demand figure. This A500 accelerator should also help boosting Indivision ECS sales since it'a obvious you cannot even start enjoying accelerated A500 without a decent display support.

The most important thing is that Jens will have user feedback and perhaps commitment early in development stage.

It all bears down to few basic equations; affordable price for minimum target volume must cover R&D plus manufacture costs, just to keep investment on safe side of business.
Old 23 January 2011, 22:56   #1697
p@rity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj_sofus View Post
There has been some talks about microfractures/bad solderings on the 68000 cpu, which caused the lose of connection when the cpu socket was pushed over the cpu.
Sounds like that could be it, since it works when the card is not pushed completely into place.
Think that i red somewhere in this thread, that amigakit could help solve the problem if thats where you bought it.
I have no doubt Amigakit will be happy to provide assistance in resolving any issues. I just wasn't at a point where I'd get them involved yet. You make an interesting point about the CPU soldering though... I'll have to review them.

Old 23 January 2011, 23:10   #1698
Photon

I don't see how an A500 is less good for everything an A600 can do

The A600 basically has zero "real" expansion ports. The difference is built in harddisk interface. The solution on A500 was to put everything in its real expansion port; harddisk interface, fastram, and CPU. Top of the line expansions had all three in one unit.

I can't really see any ceiling to bringing an A500 to exactly the same level as an A600, regarding performance, peripherals and display. I doubt demand would be lower than for A600, the number of sold units are hugely in favor of A500, and anyone who kept his A600 is the same kind of person who kept his A500.. I bet a lot of people would love to not muck about with side expansions with old drivers that only work on old OSes in favor of a brand new solution!

I think it would have to have a harddisk interface built in, though. That's I think the #1 usability boost, plus that otherwise any accelerator would have to talk to whatever harddisk interface the user has, and even if it works, harddisk performance may suffer due to their design.

ACA630 with a DIL socket would do it for me, if it had an onboard harddisk interface - of any kind.

Maybe if the harddisk interface becomes faster/better than the A600 built in one, these cards could also have the market of the A600 users that never got an ACA630 - they're soon all gone.

Possible, Jens?
Old 23 January 2011, 23:34   #1699
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I don't see how an A500 is less good for everything an A600 can do

The A600 basically has zero "real" expansion ports.
The difference is PCMCIA (read: Ethernet card slot).
Old 24 January 2011, 00:08   #1700
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
The difference is PCMCIA (read: Ethernet card slot).
And if you use it for that you have no card adapter or any fastram. A real expansion slot has an expansion bus.

I don't see how Jens will internet-enable the A500 with this A500 accel (even if it would be a nice impossible feature, hehe), so if that's your point in favor of A600 accel and not in favor of A500 accel, it's a strange one...