English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 June 2004, 03:49   #1
MethodGit

Eek HD-Installers no longer legal in certain areas????

In case no-one's visited Aminet as of late, yours truly noticed this alarming piece (labelled the "Message of the Day") over at the German Aminet joint:

Quote:
HD INSTALLERS REMOVED. Due to changes in copyright, harddisk installers of commercial programs no longer seem to be legal in several countries. They have been removed.
Although I've checked the game/patch section, and bizarrely there still seem to be many HD-installers available for download and everything. They also exist over at www.aminet.net, although I couldn't seem to find the above message over at that particular mirror (or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough, heh).

The GAGE has also been modified slightly very recently because of this supposed change of copyright somewhere. Are there any more details regarding this copyright/sudden-change-of-law, whether the JST and/or WHDLoad sites will be affected in any way by this, and exactly which HD-Installers were wiped off Aminet, if any? This just seems damn fishy.
Old 13 June 2004, 04:16   #2
Amiga1992

I think this has been discussed before when fiath spoke about these changes.... It really sucks!
Old 13 June 2004, 07:09   #3
bluebox

Germany had a change in its copyright laws last summer, making ist illegal to produce or spread tools to circumvent digital copy protections. It was mainly aimed at the DVD CSS but it is so widely und unpecisely formulated, that it is unclear what might be affected.

The resulting uncertainness might be the reason for such steps.

Old 13 June 2004, 11:43   #4
Peanutuk

If it's just Germany then it is unlikely to effect the distribution of such installs. Afterall Germany doesn't control the internet. What really matters is if it is likely to become EU law.
Old 13 June 2004, 15:41   #5
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Tell ya what......You buy a machine and a game.....its yours !!!!
Years go by...amigas die......games become useless.....and unavailable..

Along comes Winuae and a community to support it!!! All of a sudden games can now be used again the amiga is reborn by the public....no money is made.....HDinstallers are made to make life easier for our little community

THEN ALONG COMES SOME ASSHOLES TO SCREW IT UP !!!!

Well they can GET STUFFED !!! I for one WILL use any tool available to run my old games that i bought and they deserted so......

FECKUM ALL!!!!!!!

Just my thoughts
Old 13 June 2004, 16:07   #6
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
i think it makes more problems that the fantastic whdload program is developed by bert jahn...he is a german guy and i hope he didnĀ“t get enough trouble with the law here in germany with this prog...

but i think the old amiga games are not so interesting than other stuff from the pc world...
Old 13 June 2004, 16:33   #7
derSammler

Quote:
Afterall Germany doesn't control the internet. What really matters is if it is likely to become EU law.
The law in Germany was changed this way because of a draft from the EU. So other countries will follow...
Old 13 June 2004, 21:20   #8
fiath

This was a while ago, but I read up on these laws made in Germany, and it was basically to stop CD/DVD copying. There is a good FAQ somewhere that explains it all, I may have even linked that somewhere on this board.

Anyway, it did not apply to software, and that was explicitly stated, that much I do remember. I think the illegality of HD installers is a myth. I guess Aminet wanted to play it safe, or mis-interpreted the law.

IIRC it was an implementation of an EU proposal called the EUCD, the European equivelent of the DMCA. However, the DMCA now has (temporary) exemptions on obsolute software, so if the EUCD has not already, I am sure it will follow.

I wouldn't worry to much about it.
Old 15 June 2004, 21:06   #9
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
I wouldn't worry either. You can always download the installers from WHDLoad-homepage if they are removed from Aminet.
Old 16 June 2004, 00:28   #10
Amiga1992

Yeah but bandwidth usage of the WHDLoad page is limited and it was nice that they were all hoisted at the many Aminet.
Old 16 June 2004, 10:01   #11
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchro
Tell ya what......You buy a machine and a game.....its yours !!!!
Years go by...amigas die......games become useless.....and unavailable..

Along comes Winuae and a community to support it!!! All of a sudden games can now be used again the amiga is reborn by the public....no money is made.....HDinstallers are made to make life easier for our little community

THEN ALONG COMES SOME ASSHOLES TO SCREW IT UP !!!!

Well they can GET STUFFED !!! I for one WILL use any tool available to run my old games that i bought and they deserted so......

FECKUM ALL!!!!!!!

Just my thoughts
Well put! Although I might have chosen different words