English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 12 July 2018, 08:53   #2321
TjLaZer

Just tried to apply the GhostBusters hack on the latest build, 46.481 and I cannot find the $6B2C. Was it changed in this version?
Old 12 July 2018, 11:01   #2322
Romanujan

What do you mean by GhostBusters hack?
Old 12 July 2018, 11:30   #2323
PeterK

Sorry, that branch has changed due to a 2 byte code optimization. The instruction is $6B2A now and has to be changed into a $602A.

Ghostbusters are those people who want to get rid of my default ghosting feature for DefIcons, which makes them 50 % transparent. There is also an option "IconGhostingOff", but some startup-sequence purists don't like that.
Old 12 July 2018, 17:12   #2324
Romanujan

OK... I thought this was something related to http://aminet.net/package/util/cdity/GhostBuster
Old 12 July 2018, 17:29   #2325
PeterK

Oh, yes I know that GhostBusters commodity. It's another solution for a similar problem. My icon ghosting feature was inspired by Ghosty from Elena Novaretti and her PowerIcons patch.
Old 12 July 2018, 17:36   #2326
hexaae
Bug hunter

BTW, PeterK…
could you implement something useful as Elena's "AutoUpdateWB" directly into your v46 icon lib?
Old 12 July 2018, 17:52   #2327
PeterK

Yes, of course, I could steal that from Elena or ask her, but I don't think that it would be a good idea to implement AutoUpdateWB into icon.library. This commodity is 4 kB big (ok, I could shrink it a bit) and it's also a patch for the system and needs another option for the user to enable it. It should be integrated into workbench.library or better dos.library, because it patches the latter.

Last edited by PeterK; 12 July 2018 at 17:59.
Old 13 July 2018, 03:07   #2328
TjLaZer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Sorry, that branch has changed due to a 2 byte code optimization. The instruction is $6B2A now and has to be changed into a $602A.

Ghostbusters are those people who want to get rid of my default ghosting feature for DefIcons, which makes them 50 % transparent. There is also an option "IconGhostingOff", but some startup-sequence purists don't like that.
Thanks, it worked.
Old 13 July 2018, 09:26   #2329
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
Yes, of course, I could steal that from Elena or ask her, but I don't think that it would be a good idea to implement AutoUpdateWB into icon.library. This commodity is 4 kB big (ok, I could shrink it a bit) and it's also a patch for the system and needs another option for the user to enable it. It should be integrated into workbench.library or better dos.library, because it patches the latter.
… because I've found a small issue when used with Deficons 45.4 (14.09.01): sometimes the patched UpdateWorkbench() seems to indirectly lock def_icons and a command like:
Code:
C:Delete RAM:~(Disk.info|(T|ENV|Clipboards)(|.info)) QUIET ALL FORCE
may fail because of the patch.
Without AutoUpdateWB running and refreshing manually RAM: the command above will ALWAYS remove everything, with AutoUpdateWB running sometimes you see the subdirs are not deleted, because of Deficons + AutoUpdateWB conflict caused by forced update too early probably… mmmh

Do you know if Elena Novaretti is still active?

EDIT: to be exact Deficons seems to have nothing to do with this glitch and even if disabled, just AutoUpdateWB is required to sometimes see subdirs not deleted (only the icons do).

Last edited by hexaae; 13 July 2018 at 10:07.
Old 13 July 2018, 11:33   #2330
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexaae View Post
… sometimes the patched UpdateWorkbench() seems to indirectly lock def_icons and a command like ... may fail because of the patch.
Without AutoUpdateWB running and refreshing manually RAM: the command above will ALWAYS remove everything, with AutoUpdateWB running sometimes you see the subdirs are not deleted, because of Deficons + AutoUpdateWB conflict caused by forced update too early probably… mmmh
What is patching UpdateWorkbench()? AutoUpdateWB and icon.library are just calling this function, but not patching it.

It can easily happen that a lock blocks the deletion of a file or directory, even my icon.library locks the current directory whenever there are TrueColor icons in it. I need to do that for the "Icon Format Change" requester to make it possible to enable or disable the conversion for all icons in the current directory. That directory is not unlocked until you open another directory with TrueColor icons in it with a new lock.

Quote:
Do you know if Elena Novaretti is still active?
No, she has aborted all her development for the Amiga many years ago. I didn't want to bother her anymore and so I don't know how she is doing. Her last sad message from 2011 is appended.
Attached Files
File Type: txt LastMsgFromElena.txt (1.4 KB, 117 views)
Old 13 July 2018, 11:54   #2331
hexaae
Bug hunter

Ouch She got it very badly
Unfortunately she was right: many stupid choices and mistakes have been done in the Amiga history… sigh

Last edited by hexaae; 13 July 2018 at 11:59.
Old 15 July 2018, 18:22   #2332
-Acid-

I used loadresident to load workbench.library and icon.library in my startup sequence and it works. However in my WorkBench 3.0 install if I try to load anything from a menu added with tools daemon the whole system freezes up immediately. Everything else works until I try to load from those extra menus, the extra items added to the tools menu using More Tools work fine. Any idea why this is happening with Tools Daemon?
Old 15 July 2018, 18:45   #2333
PeterK

That sounds like a problem of workbench.library v45.132+ with some v39 libraries, probably graphics or intuition. I've never tested such a combination with ToolsDaemon. The original workbench.library v45 usually needs at least OS 3.1 to start. Maybe, the internal menu structure or handling is not compatible with OS 3.0 or with what ToolsDaemon expects.

Last edited by PeterK; 15 July 2018 at 19:02.
Old 15 July 2018, 18:56   #2334
-Acid-

Quote:
That sounds like a problem of workbench.library v45.132+ with some v39 libraries, probably graphics or intuition. I've never tested such a combination with ToolsDaemon. The original workbench.library v45 usually needs at least OS 3.1 to start. Maybe, the internal menu structure or handling is not compatible with OS 3.0 or with what ToolsDaemon expects.
I just tried not loading wb.lib and the menus work fine again. It's took me a long time to get this os the way I want it.... is there an easy way to update the 3.1 files needed without starting over?
Old 15 July 2018, 19:03   #2335
PeterK

Did you install the update ToolsDaemon 2.2 for OS 3.9 already?
http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/ToolsDaemon22
Quote:
These patches fix ToolsDaemon 2.1a, written by Nico François, to take
advantage of V45 (OS 3.9) Workbench API.
No, I think you have to update all files from WB 3.0 to WB 3.1 manually.

Update:
In case you are using FBlit, please make sure to use the correct version of FBlit.cfg that fits to version of workbench.library. The config for wblib v44+ is different than the config for wblib v40. I would recommend to stay with wblib v45 and update or remove ToolsDaemon.

Last edited by PeterK; 16 July 2018 at 00:38.
Old 15 July 2018, 21:46   #2336
hexaae
Bug hunter

I've removed just today exec.library v45 (for the 3rd time) from loading resident instead: it makes the system very unstable for me. Even tested on plain WB3.9 installation it seems unstable (= random exec.library GURU: memory header not located) after I run some programs (Art Effect, Candy Factory Pro, PPaint and others…). I need stable system uptimes of 3-6 hours using different programs.
Once removed from rom update sequence no more random alert or gurus. AFAIK is not mandatory for any program/lib/device on OS 3.9 anyway so I'll stick with old exec.

Last edited by hexaae; 15 July 2018 at 21:58.
Old 15 July 2018, 22:39   #2337
PeterK

I have nothing to complain on my OS 3.9 System about instability with exec v45, but I remember that Jan Zahurancik has also removed exec v45 from AmiKit because he couldn't fix some random crashes. My exec.library has a lot of patches by PoolMem and SystemPatch 2.97 but I never use MCP, which AmiKit also did. Do you expect anything related to icon.library? Btw, ArtEffect is nice but buggy.

Quote:
PoolMem >NIL: INSTALL KEEPSORTED PUDDLESIZE 16384
SystemPatch >NIL: NOGFX NOLAYERS -LoadSeg
Don't use SystemPatch 3.x. It has additional unsafe patches and may need a different configuration.

Last edited by PeterK; 15 July 2018 at 23:18.
Old 15 July 2018, 23:42   #2338
hexaae
Bug hunter

Quote:
I have nothing to complain on my OS 3.9 System about instability with exec v45, but I remember that Jan Zahurancik has also removed exec v45 from AmiKit because he couldn't fix some random crashes. My exec.library has a lot of patches by PoolMem and SystemPatch 2.97 but I never use MCP, which AmiKit also did. Do you expect anything related to icon.library? Btw, ArtEffect is nice but buggy.
No, I obviously tested removing everything including MCP etc. (and looking at the patch list there was no extra patch on exec.library): still random exec crashes or alerts. Tried with NewAllocMem but didn't fix it. Have to test with PoolMem or SystemPatch… I used long time ago. No I don't think your icon.lib has any role in all this… 1 thing is sure: without new exec the system is stable, with new exec is not, even keeping everything clean without patches. Unfortunately without protected mem by design* it's always been an endless fight to find the "golden path" with the AmigaOS (classic)

*Amiga books tell Carl Sassenrath wanted protected mem but direction didn't want to provide a 68000+MMU to keep budget low, so in the end was never implemented in the OS first writing… sigh...

Last edited by hexaae; 15 July 2018 at 23:52.
Old 16 July 2018, 00:52   #2339
PeterK

I don't know if I should claim that my OS 3.9 runs rock stable, because I'm not really a serious Amiga user anymore like I was 20-30 years ago with my A2000. All I'm still doing under WinUAE is programming and testing. I rarely use any other applications like browsers, paint programs, video or music players, picture viewers, games, demos or whatever. And I have removed everything that runs not stable. So the chances that my system could crash are much lower. My system is 68020+68882 based not 040/060.
Old 16 July 2018, 02:26   #2340
-Acid-

Quote:
Did you install the update ToolsDaemon 2.2 for OS 3.9 already?
I hadn't but have now and it fixed the problems.... thanks for your help