English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 22 June 2010, 19:50   #1
mattbarton.exe

Interview Question Suggestions for Tim Cain

Hi, all. I know this is a bit sudden, but I am set to interview Mr. Timothy Cain (of Fallout) tomorrow and thought I'd see if anyone had any specific questions that they'd like me to ask him. Of course I'll ask him the usual things about how he got started in the biz and the story behind the game.

I'm also set to interview Howard Scott Warshaw next week.
Old 22 June 2010, 22:38   #2
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I was quite keen to discover what video games Sean Cooper plays these days and also what were the top five games that most influenced his work - nothing mind blowing but I guess it could be a couple of things that you could ask Timothy Cain.

Also...

Is there a game that he has played that impressed him so much he wished he had been involved in it...

What is his favourite era of video gaming and why...
Where could his career have gone if not involved in video games...

What is his view on next generation gaming - what type of games will we be playing in ten years time and on what type of platform...

What is Tim's opinion on the new PS3 (Motion Controller?) and Microsoft (Natal?) interactive gaming... is that something he wants to get involved with....

Just a few ideas...
Old 22 June 2010, 22:55   #3
gilgamesh
Linux snob

This may be a little bit special, but in the first part there was a water chip. What was the original idea: the ordinary vac tube circuitry from part two, or a chip that operates with water instead of electricity? (That would be awesome. These things really work in nuclear plants.)

If this is too special, maybe you could ask what was the background research they did for the game? Did they watch Dr. Strangelove or [ Show youtube player ] ? Any special books or films?

Maybe he could comment on independent game development and open source game engines. Could he imagine to work with one of these someday?

Why did they choose Greyhawk as a setting for ToEE?

In how far did they take Wastelands as an example?
Old 24 June 2010, 05:06   #4
mattbarton.exe

Well, I did the interview. Guess what--Tim is a huge Atari 800 fan!

Lots of great stuff about what he would have done different in his various games. He had a lot to say about TOEE and how the end product didn't reflect his vision (if they'd done it his way, it would have been ten times better).
Old 24 June 2010, 09:06   #5
gilgamesh
Linux snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbarton.exe View Post
if they'd done it his way, it would have been ten times better
It was quite good already imo.
Old 24 June 2010, 20:02   #6
mattbarton.exe

I agree, though after hearing Tim's take I could see the issues. They really rushed him to get done, and they had to take a bunch of cool stuff out and put a bunch of rushed stuff in just to satisfy Atari. The village of Nulb had to be gutted because Atari thought it was too mature (it had a brothel and a bunch of other stuff in it). Those are just a few things, not covering the bugs. Troika had identified a bunch of bad bugs, but weren't given enough time to fix them before release.