English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 15 July 2002, 10:29   #21
Bernd

ST Amiga Format:

Are the first 13 cover disks still required? I ask since in Fiath's posting they are marked with "NEEDS DUMP". In a later posting Twistin'Ghost lists the contents of these disks, but I do not know if this means they were already disk-imaged(?)

So if they are needed ask me... (I have all of them)
Old 15 July 2002, 10:37   #22
fiath

Yes, they are still needed (unless I got that wrong TG?).

If you PM me your email address or shoot a mail to contributions@caps-project.org, we can send you the tools to dump them with if that is okay?

However you do need an Amiga with 68020+ CPU, 2Mb of RAM, KS2+ and a PC link cable - unless you want to dump to HD in which case you will need about 6-8Mb of RAM...

Thanks!
Old 15 July 2002, 13:08   #23
Bernd

@fiath
I e-mailed you at the address you mentioned.
I have appropriate Amiga hardware (have been creating ADFs since 1997) and am looking forward to use your tool to dump these disks.
Old 17 July 2002, 15:24   #24
fiath

Thanks Bernd, looks forward to your contributions!
Old 17 July 2002, 15:46   #25
fiath

Thanks to A TON more dumps by Ronald + loads of more information, you may notice many of the "NEEDS DUMP" tags above have disappeared...

Anyway, here is the information by Ronald in full, just in case we need it (I have stipped much of it from above):

ACE Magazine
Shadowlands (Ami/ST) + Arcade 4-Pack (PC), ?, 1

Amiga Action
James Pond (License to Gill) + Horror Zombies, Jan 91 (Issue 16), 2

Amiga Computing
Games: SWIV (demo) + Cribbage | Other: Cursor + VirusX + Tune of the month + code clinic + AMOS programs, Nov 1990, CD013
Scroller 2 (full app), Sept 1994, ?

Amiga Format
Total Recall (demo) + Lemmings (demo) + Niall + Eliza, 18, 18a

CU Amiga
Robocop 2 + Lemmings + Eswat, ?, 8

One, The
Pipe Mania + Gazza's Super Soccer + Team Yankee (mistake made? only Empire (preview) and Pipemania (demo) are available from the menu, ?, ?
Rick Dangerous II (Amiga - complete new level) + Midwinter II (ST interactive preview), ?, ?

Zero
F-29 (Amiga/ST special mission - needs original F-F9) + Battle Command (Amiga/ST demo), Oct. 1990
Rampage (Amiga/ST full game) + Simulcra (Amiga/ST demo), Dec. 1990
Case (Amiga/ST full game) + Viz Game (Amiga/ST demo), Jan 1991
Cadaver (Amiga/ST extra level) + Chip's Challenge (Amiga/ST demo) + Turrican II (ST demo), Feb 1991
Hunter (Amiga/ST demo) + Action Fighter (Amiga full game) + Super Huey (ST full game) + Trantor (ST full game), Mar 1991
Loopz (Amiga/ST demo) + Moonshine Racer (Amiga/ST demo) + Jahangir Khan Squash (ST demo), Apr 1991
Hacker II (Amiga/ST full game) + Chuck Rock (Amiga/ST exclusive new levels) + Zone Warrior (ST demo), June 1991
Steel (Amiga/ST full game), Jul 1991
Lords of Chaos (Amiga/ST exclusive mission) + Frenetic (Amiga/ST demo), Aug 1991
Magic Pockets (Amiga/ST demo) + Magic Garden (Amiga/ST demo), Oct 1991
Devious Designs (Amiga demo) + Cardiaxx (Amiga demo) + Cisco Heat (ST demo) + Graham Gooch Cricket (St demo), Nov 1991
Populous 2 (Amiga/ST demo) + Ammotrack (ST full game), Dec 1991, 1 of 2
Another World (Amiga/PC demo) + Video Kids (Amiga demo), Dec 1991, 2 of 2

Last edited by fiath; 17 July 2002 at 16:39.
Old 20 February 2003, 18:51   #26
MethodGit

Huzzah! Tis' nice to see that you're also going to include magazine coverdisks (one of my FAVE things regarding the Amiga) in this project!

Thought I'd remind you about two other AP disks that haven't been mentioned once: Nipper Vs The Katz. This came on the first disk of AP32 and was designed as part of a competition involving HMV's "Level One" shop, and you could win £1000 and/or some other stuff with it! It was non DOS-readable.

The other is the Cannon Fodder disk from AP31. This allowed you to select from four different levels (with different features in each of them) from a menu (much like the AP45 CF2 demo, really) and also offered a whole quiz game exclusive to the disk!

And the AP13-1 disk also contains a demo of Wizkid, Twist forgot to mention.

The One also had a Cannon Fodder demo disk in July 1993, although this one had no menu - you played three (or was it four?) levels back to back. And there were no extras on the disk (so no quiz, etc). Their Rick Dangerous II demo was also known as "Rick Dangerous 2½", as it is known in its ADF (containing just the game, no T.O. menu) on the TOSEC set.

It'll be cool to see proper working dumps of the Zero disks as well, some of the ones available from Nth Dimension (particularly the ones in DMS format) don't work at all (did they even dump all the tracks on them?) and so are next to useless.
Old 21 February 2003, 09:30   #27
fiath

Hi, thanks for the info!

Just one thing, do the disks you mention actually have copy protection? You mention one is in TOSEC, is that because it is a crack? You mention it is non DOS readable, is that because it cannot be seen in Workbench, or can it not copied by XCopy either?

If not, (although we plan to do all coverdisks at some point), this thread is mainly trying to identify those coverdisks that are unavailable to the masses in their original form, and are hence slightly more important.

If they are copy protected, just let me know and I will add them. I have added the Wizball bit anyway.

Thanks!
Old 22 February 2003, 01:31   #28
Mark Wright

Dunno whether this is useful information or not (just seen the thread) but Rob Northen famoulsy concocted the ST/Amiga dual format for Future... he's fairly contactable (as Codetapper has demonstrated) if you need any advice (unlikely!)
Old 22 February 2003, 02:06   #29
IFW

Both Dual-Format, and Tri-Format is supported by our analyser. However generic hw mfm tracks (better known as PC/Atari format) needs to be added in a... (mostly) generic way
Therefore about 55% of such disks decode without any problem the rest is well known, but lack of time prevents generic Atari support... and lack of a decent amount of Atari dumps.
Old 26 April 2003, 11:03   #30
alexh

Re: Fiath's Copy Protected Coverdisk List

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath

Amiga Fun
Trex Warrior (full game), Aug 94, ?, ?, NEEDS DUMP

One, The
Atomix (full game), ?, ?, Long tracks, UNKNOWN
Trex Warrior (full game), Aug 93, A, ?, NEEDS DUMP
I could perhaps do dumps of these disks.

I would require step by step information on how to go about doing this.

Someone once said that Zorro cards that generate interrupts must be removed before dumping. Is that true, cant they be disabled in software? I dunno if I can be arsed to do that.

Isnt the Amiga power version of "No Second Prize" on Amiga Power #65 Sep 96, also copy protected? It was the full game.

Later

Please do not post your signature in posts - configure it in the User Control Panel instead. Thanks, Cody

A4000/040@25
2MB ChipRAM, 16MB FASTRAM, 128MB Zorro FASTRAM
X-Surf
Picasso IV
DKB3128
DataFlyer A4000sx SCSI

P.S. In the issue of The One with Trex Warrior on the cover, Thalion Software make the game 100% Public Domain, so it is legal for CAPS to offer this disk image (when you get it!). I can provide a scan of the magazine if you dont believe me.

Old 26 April 2003, 11:09   #31
alexh

Quote:
Originally posted by IFW
but lack of time prevents generic Atari support... and lack of a decent amount of Atari dumps.
Once someone has talked me through dumping (assuming that I dont have to remove all my Zorro cards) then I can dump all of the Thalion Games Amiga and Atari ST disks, and the dual format disks.

Cheers

Please do not post your signature in posts - configure it in the User Control Panel instead. Thanks, Cody

Old 26 April 2003, 20:29   #32
IFW

Alex,

The interrupt generation of several later hw add-ons to the Amiga can't be controlled properly, neither through the OS functions nor writing the related hw registers, hence they periodically generate uncontrolled interrupts that used to disrupt the delicate timing required for the dumping process ("rogue interrupts").

However in the last release of the dumping disk/tool this has been fixed, by adding two new dumping methods that do not depend on any kind of interrupts.

Hence you don't have to remove any hardware from your machine to dump disks. This has been a problem before, not anymore since one member got hold on a "problem hardware" so we could circumvent the hw issue properly.

Either see the thread in the CAPS Project forum here, called "New Dumping Disk" or the latest WIP page on our site.

As for getting the latest dumping disk simply get in contact with us.

www.caps-project.org

"contact us"

Or e-mail directly.

The disk comes with complete step-by-step instructions, and the dumping framework coming with the program gives you detailed information throughout the dumping process, but if you encounter any problem of course we are there to help.
Please note, that only do a test dump first - preferably from a game with a fully supported format, ie not Atari for the test dump - so if we see any problem, we can tell you what to do. I guess by your config that you should try to use dumping/hardware mode 1 or 2 anyway.

Last edited by IFW; 26 April 2003 at 20:43.
Old 26 April 2003, 22:29   #33
alexh

What is a good test game to dump, so that you can see if everything is working??

I have SOTB II here, is that a good test disk?

I could then go onto Dump the demos of SOTB and SOTB2 which you can currently get as WHDLoad installs if you aint already seen them.

The disks have their own Psygnosis disk duplicator tool on them for SOTB1 and SOTB2 formats

Please do not post your signature in posts - configure it in the User Control Panel instead.

Old 26 April 2003, 22:37   #34
IFW

Please mail me a gamelist and I tell you which one.
SOTB games do not have EDCs (checksums) apart from SOTB3, so that's not really a nice test.
Old 27 April 2003, 07:08   #35
fiath

Dumping tools sent... And thanks for your info Alex! I will add it in to the list.
Old 27 April 2003, 09:27   #36
alexh

Quote:
Originally posted by IFW
Please mail me a gamelist and I tell you which one.
SOTB games do not have EDCs (checksums) apart from SOTB3, so that's not really a nice test.

> Please mail me a list of your original games, so we can determine one to use as a test dump.

Chambers of Shaolin - Thalion
Warp - Thalion
The Seven Gates of Jambala - Thalion
Leavin' Teramis - Thalion
Dragonflight - Thalion
Enchanted Land - Thalion
Trex Warrior - Thalion
Wings of Death - Thalion
Tower FRA - Thalion
Amberstar - Thalion
Ambermoon - Thalion
Lionheart - Thalion
Tangram - Thalion
Neuronics - Thalion
A Prehistoric Tale - Thalion
No Second Prize - Thalion
A320 Airbus - Thalion
A320 Airbus USA -Thalion
Atomix - Thalion
Lethal Xcess - Eclipse
Monster Buisness - Eclipse
Stone Age - Eclipse

Worms - Team17
The Killing Gameshow - Psygnosis
Shadow of the Beast 2 - Psygnosis
Shadow of the Beast 3 - Psygnosis (sealed)
Elf - Ocean
Zool 1 - Gremlin
Dune 1 - Virgin
F29 Retaliator - Ocean
Rings of Medusa
Gods - Mirrorsoft
Treasure Island Dizzy - Codemasters
Speedball - Mirrorsoft
Bloodmoney - Psygnosis
Dungeon Master - FTL
BattleSquadron

Loads more I cant be arsed to list.

Anything there we can work with?

Old 27 April 2003, 10:56   #37
IFW

Sure.
Elf and Gods are perfect examples, both are Copylock protected and can show any problem nicely.
I suggest you try with mode 1, 0 probably wouldn't work on your setup.
Old 07 May 2003, 15:48   #38
fiath

List updated. Though we need to run through the ones we have to check if they are supported yet, because it is a long time since we did that.

Anyway, with the release of Cannon Fodder Plus, we now officially do coverdisks! If you would like to get a coverdisk released (even if it is not on this list, it may even be a normal ADOS disk) then we need three things:

1) A dump of the coverdisk (if we don't already have it)
2) A scan of the disk itself
3) Scans of associated magazine instructions / articles.

For dumping, contact us for the dumping tools if you don't already have them.

For scanning, see the normal guidelines here: http://www.caps-project.org/scanning.shtml

The only coverdisks we don't do are those have have no games on, if you are unsure, then just drop us a mail.

All enquiries: caps@caps-project.org

Thanks!
Old 07 May 2003, 18:54   #39
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Perhaps you can post a list of the good dumps you have and some of the rest of us can provide scans. I have some coverdisks here, plus most of my mags and can probably scan the mag's instructions pages with little effort.
Old 08 May 2003, 00:41   #40
fiath

I just went over the dumps - generally anything marked as DUMPED means it is 100% and can be released after scans are available.