English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 26 June 2023, 12:08   #81
wiz12

4GB and 8GB will work too but you will have to edit the config file in Emu68 to allow for a maximum of 2GB as the Amiga can't see any more than that anyways so getting a 4Gb or 8GB is a waste.
Old 26 June 2023, 15:16   #82
Darkhelmet

Thank you so much.
2 gb version ordered, as we speak.
Old 26 June 2023, 15:30   #83
klx300r

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
No idea what you tested but like 90% of WHDLoad games run on pistorm and pistorm32 out of the box. I have tested A LOT and most of the stuff works. You do need the NoAutoVec and NoMMU switches present (which i think is also the case for the blood suckers). There are certain games still that don't work. Of the literally over 1000 WHDLoad games I only had a problem with these:

https://justpaste.it/7no3u

The rest I could get to work out of the box.
This has been my experience as well & crazy happy with my PiStorm32 so far

Last edited by klx300r; 06 July 2023 at 22:24.
Old 26 June 2023, 23:37   #84
aeberbach

I think I'm going to wait for the version that uses the Pi Compute Module. Just seems a lot neater.

If you are having trouble finding a Pi for sale then try rpilocator.com. Supply is improving rapidly and there are at least three places that can ship me an 8GB Pi today.
Old 26 June 2023, 23:54   #85
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
I think I'm going to wait for the version that uses the Pi Compute Module. Just seems a lot neater.

If you are having trouble finding a Pi for sale then try rpilocator.com. Supply is improving rapidly and there are at least three places that can ship me an 8GB Pi today.

The PiStorm32 is currently available and when it comes to thermals it's much cooler running than the a Pi3b or Pi4b especially if you attach the heatsink and fan combo, plus it has a neat IO board. The problem is trying to find a cm4 at a decent price.
Old 02 July 2023, 07:40   #86
Heywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz12 View Post
The PiStorm32 is currently available and when it comes to thermals it's much cooler running than the a Pi3b or Pi4b especially if you attach the heatsink and fan combo, plus it has a neat IO board. The problem is trying to find a cm4 at a decent price.

I have a cm4 but I haven't been able to find a Pistorm32 for sale, it seems that the Pistorm32lite is what is available these days...
Old 02 July 2023, 12:17   #87
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
I have a cm4 but I haven't been able to find a Pistorm32 for sale, it seems that the Pistorm32lite is what is available these days...

I bought my PiStorm32 from a seller on the PiStorm Discord channel. I think you can get them from here too.

https://programatory.archi-tech.com....O-Expander/329
Old 02 July 2023, 15:58   #88
Lemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post

There is a chance that the original PiStorm32 (non lite version that only took a CM4) will never be released. That board was designed almost two years ago and due to various reason, was replaced by the PiStorm32 Lite.

Michal has designed a CM4 carrier board for the PiStorm32 Lite which is your best option if you want to use a CM4. Otherwise you may have a long long wait
Old 02 July 2023, 16:16   #89
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heywood View Post
...that's the PiStorm32. The Lite is the only version available.
Old 06 July 2023, 05:04   #90
Heywood

Quote:
I bought my PiStorm32 from a seller on the PiStorm Discord channel. I think you can get them from here too.

Thanks for pointing me there - this is a CM4 carrier board with a breakout connector, so it still needs a Pistorm32lite.

The cost is more than I would prefer (but that doesn't mean that it is a rip off!) and compared to a motorola CPU based accelerator of similar capabilities (if thats possible) is considerably a lesser cost.

I suspect going for a Pi3A+ or Pi4 with a Pistom32lite is the more economic approach now that these variants are starting to become more readily available and it seems the original Pistorm32 is unlikely to come back into play which is an understandable approach.
Old 06 July 2023, 14:22   #91
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:

Can any one confirm orientation. As from picture, header it reversed.
I know what it says on board, but there is no way it would fit in A1200 trapdoor with header the way it is.
If fitted other side, it would look like the design board from discord.
Old 06 July 2023, 14:42   #92
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Is there any 32 bit CPU slot adapter (so A3000/A4000) on the horizon?
Old 06 July 2023, 17:15   #93
wiz12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Can any one confirm orientation. As from picture, header it reversed.
I know what it says on board, but there is no way it would fit in A1200 trapdoor with header the way it is.
If fitted other side, it would look like the design board from discord.

Old 06 July 2023, 17:23   #94
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Interesting, So header is reversed.
Much better way to do it, so the CM4 is a low as possible.

I have Edu's CM4 Mini, which just fits under keyboard with 3mm Heatsink.
Old 08 July 2023, 15:40   #95
Darkhelmet

I am recieving my piStorm32 lite in the comming days... and looking forward to it.
But what OS is the best option to install??
Is caffeine OS the way to go???
is Plain classic WB with Picasso the best option.
I will probable use it for more advanced games like Quake, Doom and ScummVM and some Graphics like Deluxe paint and the like.
But very confused about it.
What are your experiences and advices???
Thank in advance:-)
Old 08 July 2023, 15:44   #96
Dunny

Caffeine is a great option. Just download, burn and go. It's based on Emu68 so no Wifi, USB or access to anything the Pi provides besides the HDD partition, FastRAM and RTG graphics.

Musashi will provide more access to the Pi hardware but has a severe speed penalty as it's a pure interpreter emulation as opposed to Emu68's JIT/Dynarec emulation. If you're going to play Doom and suchlike then you're probably gonna want to avoid Musashi.

Personally I started with Caffeine, then put it to one side to use in emergencies and rolled my own WB install with Picasso and all that jazz. I prefer it that way.
Old 08 July 2023, 16:11   #97
kriz

@Dunny Is there any link for download Caffeine OS ? PM if its not public please, tried searching but alot of fake sites selling it (probably the same guy ) ...
Old 08 July 2023, 16:29   #98
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
@Dunny Is there any link for download Caffeine OS ? PM if its not public please, tried searching but alot of fake sites selling it (probably the same guy ) ...
It's on Archive.org <url removed>

Last edited by Jope; 09 July 2023 at 11:38. Reason: Sorry, rules forbid direct links to amigaos/ks images. Hopefully people can still find it on their own.
Old 08 July 2023, 17:03   #99
kriz

AHh excellent, thank you @Dunny!
Old 05 August 2023, 13:14   #100
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Having issues getting to see the nVME drive though. - Has anyone managed to suss out it yet? - Possibly drivers not implemented yet for the Amiga?

I can get RaspberryPi to boot from nVME whilst sat in the Amiga. The CM4 module is flashed & rpi-eeprom-config is now showing BOOT_ORDER=0xf25416. <----(The string is read right to left, the 6 representing nVME) This use to be 0xf25641 (default setting)

CaffeineOS will not boot from the nVME drive, even though EMU68 is running buptest successfully & displaying on the HDMI. It kicks the 3.9ROM over my 2.2.2ROM as seen by native RGB output, but never see's the drives & doesn't boot?
I can chuck a CF style Microdrive into the 44Pin Amiga's header & boot to desktop. This isn't installed with EMU68 RTG but see's the Pi CPU & Ram whilst displaying on RGB output.

I can install CoffinOS to the onboard 32GB eMMC but CaffeineOS is just too big. Even at desktop with an installed CoffinOS, I can't see the nVME drive.

Raspberry Pi 3A+ uses brcm-sdhc.device to see storage space & the Raspberry Pi4 uses brcm-emmc.device, what does the CM4 module use to see the nvme device?

I bought my "CM4 Schulz's style" from a great guy in Sweden. He's known as Fletch over @ discord & has been Emailing me. He can't help me, saying my CM4 with 32GB onboard eMMC might be the issue? - He's using a lite CM4, though I can't see why an eMMC CM4 should behave differently if the Boot order is right.

I'm hankering there is still more updating to do yet? - I'm posting here because for some bizarre reason, I can't log onto discord to start asking questions. - Meh!

Last edited by Kin Hell; 27 October 2023 at 16:29.