English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 18 April 2024, 19:48   #1
AmigaMark

Blizzard SCSI Kit

Hello felllow Amiga nerds,

I have a 1230 IV with a SCSI kit and cable - i also had the same with 1230 ,1240 and1260 in previous Amiga lives.

In alll these years i have never actually attached anything to it (them).

I notice bllizzard.device in my workbench ((HDTools) but I have no idea how easy it would be to connect for examplle a scsi CD or ZIP or mass storage. Can you boot from it?

I have connected every conceivablle scsi device to an A500 pllus withh GVP++ and also squirrel on a 1200 - but never to the bllizzard scsi kit.

No idea what if any additionall software would be required - allso can you get blluescsi stuff thhat connects ?

Questions questions, i feel a voyage of discovery starting.
Old 18 April 2024, 20:11   #2
crazyc

I have an scsi kit with my B1260 on a tower and have an scsi to ide converter attached to it and then the usual ide cf on the end of that. Yes you can boot from it and I get around 4 to 4.5 times the speed that I get from the plain motherboard ide. (Well, as tested with sysinfo).
Old 18 April 2024, 20:40   #3
Daedalus

Yes, you can boot from it. The device driver is in the SCSI kit's ROM so it's ready from a cold boot. I've had a setup with SCSI drives including CD drives, CD burners, Zip drives, hard drives (IDE drives with IDE-SCSI adaptors), and it has worked beautifully for years. As well as being much faster than the motherboard IDE as mentioned, it uses very little CPU speed for real-world transfer speeds of ~8-9MB/s, which is great.
Old 19 April 2024, 07:27   #4
cloverskull

+1 for all the recommendations here to use it. If you can find an ACard 7720U - http://www.acard.com/index.files/Page737.htm - you can basically take the IDE drive you've been using directly on the motherboard and connect it to the SCSI instead. I had fun doing comparisons of onboard IDE, Fast ATA MKV IDE, and then SCSI->IDE. The SCSI->IDE won this by a longshot
Old 19 April 2024, 08:36   #5
jurassicman

Interesting thread, thanks guys!
I have a scsi kit as well but I'm not using it... the AEC-7720U card seems great, which cable would I need to buy to connect it to the scsi kit?
Old 19 April 2024, 19:36   #6
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Maybe I should have a crack at this! I have the scsi kit add-on and an acard floating around.

The main drive for me is imaging old scsi drives.
Old 20 April 2024, 00:44   #7
idrougge

Today, I would just use a BlueSCSI v2; it’s very fast, quiet and easy to backup.

If you have a BlizzSCSI, using IDE is silly; the DMA of the SCSI makes your Amiga feel much faster when accessing the disk.
Old 20 April 2024, 20:27   #8
LordCrass

If you've connected the external SCSI interface, I'd recommend the ZuluSCSI. They make internal models as well.

https://store.rabbitholecomputing.co...p2040-db25.htm

I've got the previous revision (without the RP2040, so it's slower, around 3MB/sec) and it works great. You can mount up to 7 virtual SCSI devices and it does ISO files as well for CD-ROM mounting.

The only thing it's missing that I wish it had was a headphone jack to handle CD-Audio output along with bin/cue file support to match.

Last edited by LordCrass; 20 April 2024 at 20:34.
Old 20 April 2024, 23:09   #9
AmigaMark

wow definately a voyage of discovery - i think i might tower up my second 1200 and put the bllizzard in that with some juicy scsi stuff. i suppose first better price up some scis stuff
Old 21 April 2024, 00:05   #10
Calabazam

I have one but i am using it as a RAM expansion actually (128 MB more including double sided SIMMs are nice). Problem is there is no way to integrate a SCSI drive internally in a desktop case, unless those BlueSCSI got really miniaturized, so still using the internal IDE with my Blizzard 1260.
I am done with towered A1200s since 2010.
Old 21 April 2024, 01:17   #11
idrougge

It got really miniaturised. https://shop.onegeekarmy.eu/index.ph...maller-design/
Old 21 April 2024, 01:17   #12
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrass View Post
The only thing it's missing that I wish it had was a headphone jack to handle CD-Audio output along with bin/cue file support to match.
Some revisions of the ZuluSCSI support such function using an add-on called the “DAC Attack!”: https://github.com/saybur/dac-attack
Old 29 April 2024, 13:51   #13
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Some revisions of the ZuluSCSI support such function using an add-on called the “DAC Attack!”: https://github.com/saybur/dac-attack
I wonder if this add-on would work with BlueSCSI v2?
I did not know this dac attack existed until your post!
Old 29 April 2024, 18:23   #14
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectroBlaster View Post
I wonder if this add-on would work with BlueSCSI v2?
I did not know this dac attack existed until your post!
Sadly, not yet. It seems it’s not a priority for the BlueSCSI Team. I guess it will happen eventually, but it might require a new revision and/or additional hardware to be possible.