English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 June 2023, 14:59   #141
merman

Send a message via MSN to merman Send a message via Yahoo to merman
Quote:
Originally Posted by i4000 View Post
Not wanting to start a conspiracy theory, but.....

Is this Kickstarter from the real David Pleasance? I have backed a previous Kickstarter by him and this is not from the same account.

Original Kickstarter Profile: https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/djp21
New Kickstarter Profile: https://www.kickstarter.com/profile/amigaglobalalliance
Given all the “technical problems” and “email problems” DJP was having with From Vultures To Vampires, it is quite likely he set up a new Kickstarter account...
Old 07 June 2023, 15:24   #142
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Is a bit OT but still have some hope the sources of Justice are still around, that one would be darn good to have complete!
Looks up HOL to find out what Justice was...wow,a '96 era game!

Away from the aforementioned games,(Snow Bros.,was especially satisfying as I read of it in CU Amiga in a newsagent & never heard of the conversion again!),do recall some talk of Psygnosis's Superheroes might still exist,albeit wasn't blown away by its limited disk demo in The One BITD!

Also a pity all Amiga Hardcore dev work was tossed out the proverbial window when Psyggy decided to go full Megadrive version!

At least Hardcore got resurrected into modern form,which is more than happened with C64 "Murder!" which sadly seems lost despite being finished!

Likewise,always was curious via its adverts in Zzap!,about The Search for Sharla,which apparently was to have C64/Amiga ports,but alleged missed payments saw it disappear too!

Not Listed in Amiga Lore,but featured in Games That Weren't was the previewed Rookies,which had a touch of Cannon Fodder like arcade strategy but would've have a bit more isometric art style to it!

Back on-topic,still trying to work out what this paid portal is allegedly going to benefit? ....Much like when some of the old Amiga game IP's have been picked up 2nd,3rd or 4th time like a car boot sale & someone claiming "ownership",when the original developers have been long ago cut out of any further royalties,have a hard time believing in their sense of "supporting the community"!!
Old 07 June 2023, 16:03   #143
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-Zark-7 View Post
Back on-topic,still trying to work out what this paid portal is allegedly going to benefit? ....Much like when some of the old Amiga game IP's have been picked up 2nd,3rd or 4th time like a car boot sale & someone claiming "ownership",when the original developers have been long ago cut out of any further royalties,have a hard time believing in their sense of "supporting the community"!!
I think the thought process at the moment is a bit like:

1. Gather money
2. ...
3. Profit!

You can visit the page right now: https://aga.directory/
Check out the well thought out and designed 'About' tab
Old 07 June 2023, 17:10   #144
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I think the thought process at the moment is a bit like:

1. Gather money
2. ...
3. Profit!

You can visit the page right now: https://aga.directory/
Check out the well thought out and designed 'About' tab
Will there be a snowman making app ????
Old 07 June 2023, 17:16   #145
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
I'm sure that's one of the most pressing matters*

*snowman making apps not guaranteed
Old 07 June 2023, 18:05   #146
Bren McGuire

i feel like this is the key problem no one in that kickstarter page has seemingly contributed anything to this scene more like theyre standing on the shoulders of the "giants" that build this scene by creating games, programs, eab, amibay etc. is very disrespectful
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabfists View Post
I would have less of a problem with the whole thing if DP was already a contributing member of the current Amiga community - then I would question his motives less. If he had been contributing to the scene driven by the love of the Amiga for years then it wouldn't look so much like a cash grab. However, it appears as though he's spotted the popularity of the Amiga and thought "I could make some money here".
Old 07 June 2023, 18:47   #147
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Seems RamokRomok has done the whole job for about a fiver:
https://boing.directory/
Old 07 June 2023, 18:50   #148
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Everything is alphabetical, but they put Lemon Amiga over Hall of Light
Old 07 June 2023, 19:10   #149
d4rk3lf

What I don't get is why everyone have access to that site?
Are they teasing us, and it will be closed once Kickstart campaign is over?
Shall I back it up, while there's still time?

Quote:
Hey!!!!
The site is not done.
Besides, if you want FULLY alphabetical, have you thought about the fact that you didn't payed any membership yet?
I did, and I am enjoying my browsing there.

sigh... what people...
Old 07 June 2023, 19:13   #150
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
i feel like this is the key problem no one in that kickstarter page has seemingly contributed anything to this scene more like theyre standing on the shoulders of the "giants" that build this scene by creating games, programs, eab, amibay etc. is very disrespectful
David feels that he *has* contributed to this scene, loads.
And I guess that’s one issue, that of viewpoint.
Old 07 June 2023, 19:24   #151
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
Besides, if you want FULLY alphabetical, have you thought about the fact that you didn't payed any membership yet?
I did, and I am enjoying my browsing there.

sigh... what people...
I paid for the platinum package, but it seems like Predseda got the double extra spicy platinum package. I'll demand a full refund!
Old 07 June 2023, 19:45   #152
d4rk3lf

Quote:
I paid for the platinum package, but it seems like Predseda got the double extra spicy platinum package. I'll demand a full refund!
Requesting refund is utter contra productive.
Listen to me.
You don't want to live in the void.
Alone, and outside AGA space.
What you need to do is offer more money...

Think before you blink!
Old 07 June 2023, 20:18   #153
Signman

Maybe his attempt to buttress his retirement? If so have a gofundme and specify your situation. This is silly and no to our german friend posting above, the irony is not lost on most of us posting this kickstarter here.
Old 07 June 2023, 21:41   #154
BippyM
Global Moderator

Threads merged..

Oh and this is pure bait and scam.. DJP is only about this community for himself. He does't give anything back unless there is something for him directly.. Respect == lost!
Old 07 June 2023, 22:54   #155
Ramokromok

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Less than a fiver. The domain cost about $3.70

Quote:
I made it in an extended lunch break as a proof of concept. And because I’m petty! (I have now had a bunch of requests to add a load of stuff so I think people think it’s “real”, so I’m now going to treat it as real!)
Old 07 June 2023, 23:37   #156
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
@ramokromok
Welcome to EAB. Please look out for your subscription email and membership invoice…
Old 08 June 2023, 00:09   #157
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

My two pence worth.

Pointless!

I love David Pleasance, I love that he had the forethought to do the Batman Pack and others and really help get the Amiga into homes across Europe.

I was gutted back in the day when Commodore UK couldn't buy what was left, whether or not the Amiga would have lasted any significant amount of time more, I can't say, but I think there would have been more general optimism, whether that helps a company survive, I don't know.

But that was back in 1994.

In 1998, I pretty much walked away from Amiga. All the promises of stuff didn't happen nor materialise, as far as I was concerned, Amiga was dead as a platform, and there was no hope that a new machine might come out to challenge all comers as it did before.

And then 2 years later, I was back, a cursory look on the Internet, and people remembered me and the stuff i'd done.

But the Amiga "scene" as it was back in 2000, was a mess, so fragmented, little to nothing happening, hopes and dreams of doing stuff were just that, hopes and dreams.

Software wasn't really forthcoming, plenty of talented people, but not enough free time to do anything.

WHDLoad went from strength to strength, I think that was a major reason why so many people came back, got their Amigas out of cupboards, next thing they knew, they were spending money on a machine they hadn't used in a long while.

I would say that since 2010, things really started to pick up, the trickles of sofware turned into something more. Lots of people from the demo scene that had largely quit the Amiga like I had, started coming back, demo programming, dentro, intro, cracktro, music, graphics, sure it was never going to be like it was in 1991, but you could see things were picking up.

New games, unreleased games finally seeing the light of day, then there was the accelerator market that was joined by several new people, prices coming down, now it wasn't quite so expensive to upgrade an Amiga to something that wasn't horrible to use in the 2010's.

Amiga repair services sprouting up, Amiga vendors, more commercial games, more demos, more cracktros, just generally more of everything, a massive change from what was happening in 2000, which frankly, was a whole heap of not much!

And where are we today? No more the "would be great if we could collaborate to make a game", people are collaborating, and making more games than ever, the Amiga scene has NEVER been as vibrant as it is today, the market for pimping Amigas and for writing software, its building up and up.

Magazines ffs, theres at least 3 of them, some are in the shops...... And the Amiga scene returned, people getting together and making time to make stuff on Amiga again, so much talent around, and some are even getting a return on investments.

What a sea change since 2000.

We as a community saw to that.

....But apparently, what the scene really needs is something "Official" setup that we have to pay for so everything is centralised in one place.

It's like the Internet was never invented!

The community on EAB and all the other forums and sites, has managed to muddle along just fine to where we are now. We don't need and didn't ask for an "official" website which claims it will help fund projects, but somehow needs our money to make that happen?!?!??!?

Amiga is now a hobby for me, i'm almost 50 years old, I have a business to run, i'm writing a game for a publisher (for Amiga!), and I just don't see how this AGA Directory website even remotely comes into play here.

If i've got a coding problem, I'll go on EAB, because frankly, thats where all the talent is, or i'll go ask friends who have already done it for their advice.

Everything we have NOW, works. All the forums work, the communities self govern to root out morons, and spammers, we already have our "AGA Directory"....... its called the Internet!

20 years ago, when the Amiga scene was so fragmented, something like this proposal would have been welcome, but not now, not after the hard work has been done, by a community that did it for the love of wanting to do it for others.

I can't support this, its detrimental to the Amiga community, its making an "EXCLUSIVE" club, when the LAST thing the Amiga needs is EXCLUSIVITY.

I think the kids call it "gatekeeping". I call it madness. If the Amiga community isn't free and open for all, then the Amiga DIES when all of our generation that was with the Amiga when it was new, dies, and I don't want that to happen.

Its why i'm happy to share information and answer questions I can, because I want more prospective people to want reasons to join us and help carry the Amiga name on into the next generation.

I don't want to be miserable at the thought that when i'm 70, all that is left of those that give a damn about the Amiga and its memory, is an ever diminishing group of people that will vanish, taking the Amiga with it.

I give my time freely, and other than occasional donations to Scoopexs website and EAB, within reason, I want to keep it that way.

People should not be put off by the financial impact, it will simply stop people joining us.

Peace!
Old 08 June 2023, 02:35   #158
klx300r

Big grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post

c'mon now then what will be left to be on amiga.com when Cloanto finally does something with it
Old 08 June 2023, 07:36   #159
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
He He, there is a corruption behind
Old 08 June 2023, 09:56   #160
d4rk3lf

David Pleasance on FaceBook:

Quote:
IMPORTANT NOTICE - PLEASE READ.
It seems thare are a number of people (and growing) who are enjoying slagging off my AGA concept. This is perfectly ok because everybody is full entitled to their own opinion.
However there appears to be a massive misconception about the whole ethos of the project.
So I have two questions to ask.
1) If there are already sites in existence which offer everything AGA does - please send the link(s)for me (and everybody else) to peruse.
If they are there I am very keen to discover them and compare with our objectives.
2) If any other site is offering to reinvest income received, back into supporting developers who want to produce new software and/or hardware - then likewise send us the link(s) so we can see for ourselves.
I have never believed in re-inventing the wheel, and in my many years of visibly supporting the community I have always felt that our community could do much better for itself by collaborating.
Instead there seems to be a level of toxicity that belies belief.
I do notice that much of the condemnation of people, ideas, and activities comes from those who prefer to hide behind pseudonyms. Perhaps this is a result of not wanting to be exposed for actually not contributing anything of any worth?
Link:
https://www.facebook.com/david.j.ple...dE9wYC6GG3W1Sl