English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 25 January 2002, 09:18   #1
Pyromania

The only good thing about Windows XP

I was speaking with an old friend of mine the other day and found out he did the Plus! Aquarium in Windows XP. I was glad that he was making a little money off something because Commodore really socked it to him in 1993 on Defender of the Crown II. They promised him over $100,000 for that and his interface design in CD32 (He made the screen you see when it boots up and or plays an Audio CD).

Well he got $0 from Commodore and they changed the CD32 interface, his original was much nicer. I have it laying around on floppy somewhere as an Amiga animation. I will u/l it to the zone if anyone is interested (I have to find it first).

Back to the Aquarium he designed. It is all done in Lightwave 3D, I sold him Lightwave in 1996 (small world) before then he was strictly a 2D Dpaint Brilliance kind of guy.

I don't normally promote screensavers especially on Windows for that matter but I will in this case because Jim Sachs is the one that created it. I know I know, buying screensavers is nuts and Twisten Ghost and I used to have a good laugh when we saw PC users do it but I will make a exception for Jim.

I did ask him "Wheres the Amiga version!". He still uses his Amiga 4000 all the time but has not kept up on the latest news. He had a heart attack when Commodore put the screws to him and the Amiga is a painting tool to him now. It is good to see that an old time Amiga artist is still around using Amiga and Lightwave 3D (PC version) even if it is just for cool screensavers.

By the way you have to buy the Windows XP Plus pack to get a limited version of Jim's work so it is better to just buy direct from him @ http://www.serenescreen.com/ for $19.95. You don't need XP when you get it direct any crusty old Win95,98 etc will do.

Microsoft recommends a 750Mhz CPU with 64MB of RAM and 300MB of HD space for the new XP Plus pack, Shocking! If anyone on this board does not know who Jim Sachs is please look at the following link.

http://users.deltanet.com/~jpalmer/sachs.html
Old 25 January 2002, 09:28   #2
jmmijo

Actually I believe I met Jim Sachs and Kellyn Beck back in the day. Cinemaware sent some reps to the local user groups, NW Amiga Groups in PDX. Can't remember the exact date however, because I seem to recall they demo'ed DOTC along with I think SDI and possibly some others. I also remember some Cinemaware reps coming around the time Rocket Ranger was set to be released, possibly some other times too.

I remember that Kellyn went off to help run Cineplay, also in PDX later on after leaving Cinemaware.

I remember seeing the screen shots from DOTC and yes I had to pick my jaw up from the floor, they were incredible!!!
Old 25 January 2002, 13:55   #3
RCK
Administrator

Jim Sachs is well knowned into the amiga world, one GFX veteran
I'm happy he will (at least) be able to earn money with his excellent "Sachs Marine Aquarium".
Old 25 January 2002, 14:34   #4
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Eek

Wow! Pyromania you know Jim Sachs!
Talk about an Amiga gaming legend-like or hate Defender of the Crown it put the Amiga on the gaming map faster than any amount of advertising did.
I'm sorry to hear of his health problems-it seems those infamous, legendary men-in-suit clowns that proported to be CBM management seemed to excel in doing anything to destroy the Amiga.
I wonder what he'd think to know there are people out there who still enjoy his creation DOTC even after all this time!
Old 25 January 2002, 14:54   #5
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by 7-Zark-7
Wow! Pyromania you know Jim Sachs!
Talk about an Amiga gaming legend-like or hate Defender of the Crown it put the Amiga on the gaming map faster than any amount of advertising did.
I'm sorry to hear of his health problems-it seems those infamous, legendary men-in-suit clowns that proported to be CBM management seemed to excel in doing anything to destroy the Amiga.
I wonder what he'd think to know there are people out there who still enjoy his creation DOTC even after all this time!
He had his heart attack right around when CBM released CD32, he is in much better health now although it has tainted his feelings about Amiga. He knows people still enjoy DOTC and recently was one of the people that agreed to let Clickboom do a remake for PC & Mac. He is an all around talented old school Amiga & C64 kind of guy, self taught even!
Old 25 January 2002, 18:15   #6
DPainter

Pyro, can you ask Jim if he's willing to release his 20,000 Leagues demo, if not in ADF form, how about as an AVI or MPEG? That was truly the most exciting thing I saw on Amiga back in those days and I'm sure everyone here would enjoy it. How sad Disney never went for it!

I recall he showed it at a graphics training seminar he gave and then someone stole the disks overnight. He also had a lot of trouble with the SCA virus deleting some custom boot block loader he wrote for it, if I remember correctly.

This reminds me: a couple of years ago I discovered a new, shrink-wrapped copy of "Saucer Attack!" for the C64 at a surplus software store. In a magazine interview, Jim described it as the game that every kid has, but nobody bought.
Old 25 January 2002, 20:33   #7
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyromania

He had his heart attack right around when CBM released CD32, he is in much better health now although it has tainted his feelings about Amiga. He knows people still enjoy DOTC and recently was one of the people that agreed to let Clickboom do a remake for PC & Mac. He is an all around talented old school Amiga & C64 kind of guy, self taught even!
Interesting, I thought that Cinemaware still had the rights to DOTC and not Clickboom. Or is Clickboom working with Cinemaware on the remake. Just checked and apparently they are working with Cinemaware
Old 25 January 2002, 22:28   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I remember back in the early 90's, Pyromania and I went to an Amiga trade show in Long Beach and we got to meet Jim Sachs there. He was extremely disgruntled with CBM at the time and his face soured at the mere mention of the word Commodore. He was a soft-spoken, pleasant individual who did not deserve the treatment he got from CBM. It was disheartening for us to hear him talk about abandoning the Amiga platform (developing for it, that is), but we certainly understood his disdain.

Off-topic, but we also had the displeasure of hanging out with Jim Drew of Emplant fame. Talk about your snake oil salesmen! I've never heard anybody spew so much bullshit in my life as this man did. And he commanded everybody's undivided attention every time he spoke. Including the corporate suit-and-tie stiffs from CBM, who were the most clueless fucks there. Oh, the stories I could spin about those morons...

But at least we got to meet Jay Miner and shake his hand. The highlight of that show, IMHO.
Old 25 January 2002, 22:48   #9
Amiga1992

Id LOve to see those pics, Pyro... and that demo, if he has it.

I love the EAB
Old 25 January 2002, 23:21   #10
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin' Ghost
I remember back in the early 90's, Pyromania and I went to an Amiga trade show in Long Beach and we got to meet Jim Sachs there. He was extremely disgruntled with CBM at the time and his face soured at the mere mention of the word Commodore. He was a soft-spoken, pleasant individual who did not deserve the treatment he got from CBM. It was disheartening for us to hear him talk about abandoning the Amiga platform (developing for it, that is), but we certainly understood his disdain.

Off-topic, but we also had the displeasure of hanging out with Jim Drew of Emplant fame. Talk about your snake oil salesmen! I've never heard anybody spew so much bullshit in my life as this man did. And he commanded everybody's undivided attention every time he spoke. Including the corporate suit-and-tie stiffs from CBM, who were the most clueless fucks there. Oh, the stories I could spin about those morons...

But at least we got to meet Jay Miner and shake his hand. The highlight of that show, IMHO.
It's been too many years since I've seen Jim Sachs, I really can't remember to well at all. I can really understand his displeasure with CBM after their treatment of him

Now don't get me started with Jim Drew :kill , like you said a snake oil saleman, and I'm sorry to say from the Pacific NW as well. He and the schister that started Megasoft et al.

Unfortunately he showed up at a lot of my pizza parties and he seemed awful smarmy back then He stole from the company I worked for at the time as well as from John Henry of Fast Hackem' Fame (C64).

Nice thing that you got to meet Jay Minor before his death, that's something
Old 26 January 2002, 04:58   #11
RocketMack

Man! You guys impress the hell out of me! I could only imagine rubbing elbows with the likes of Jay Miner or Jim Sachs. They were like gods to us in the early years!

Imagine if this board (and the internet) had existed 15 years ago.

Maybe this whole disaster could have been reversed...

Old 26 January 2002, 05:54   #12
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally posted by RocketMack
Imagine if this board (and the internet) had existed 15 years ago.

Maybe this whole disaster could have been reversed...
Perhaps so, really there was something called the arpenet started in the 70's, mostly to share data between governement agencies and reseach facilities, which included many major universities and other facilities like JPL, White Sands, etc...

This was basically the grandfather to the internet. I can only imagine what could have been done
Old 26 January 2002, 11:14   #13
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I really wish I knew what happened to the video we shot at that show. We rolled massive amounts of tape (since I was producing videos in those days, I had the equipment at my disposal!), but I have no clue where those reels ended up. I don't recall even getting around to watching the tapes back. Dammit!

Pyro, didn't you bring your camera, too?
Old 26 January 2002, 16:46   #14
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin' Ghost
I really wish I knew what happened to the video we shot at that show. We rolled massive amounts of tape (since I was producing videos in those days, I had the equipment at my disposal!), but I have no clue where those reels ended up. I don't recall even getting around to watching the tapes back. Dammit!

Pyro, didn't you bring your camera, too?

Nope, you have the only copy. I did not buy my video cam until a few years later. You even shot a video interview with Commodores president on that reel.
Old 26 January 2002, 17:03   #15
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Wink

Twistin-maybe you should do a top ten stuff-ups & weird stories of CBM management-would probably help release your anger-it's not like those fools of Medhi Ali & Irving gould & co. would ever see this,(Did they know what computers were?! )!
Old 26 January 2002, 19:53   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Those two assholes were an eyesore on the Amiga's rich, luxurious, albeit tained, history. I remember going to the CBM booth on one of the days and there was some old woman who looked like she'd just crawled out of her deathbed, chomping on a cigarette like Miss Beasley (the lunchroom lady in Archie comics) - she was the sole rep for that booth at that time. She was rude, arrogant, insulting and wouldn't even discuss the Amiga. No clue who she was, but she certainly left a vivid imprint. So we quickly dashed over to see Kiki at the Toaster booth. Or was it some new chick that year...I forgot.

Damn, I'd completely forgotten about that interview with that president from CBM. That was actually pretty funny now that I think back on it. This hack had his whole spiel memorized and just babbled rhetoric for 10 minutes.
Old 28 December 2018, 05:25   #17
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
They promised him over $100,000 for that and his interface design in CD32 (He made the screen you see when it boots up and or plays an Audio CD).

Well he got $0 from Commodore and they changed the CD32 interface, his original was much nicer. I have it laying around on floppy somewhere as an Amiga animation. I will u/l it to the zone if anyone is interested (I have to find it first).
Hi pyromania,
i'm interested if you found it !!!!
Old 28 December 2018, 14:11   #18
Dagger

Have downloaded and paid for the Aquarium Screensaver. Remember having the demo version years ago with only 3 fish. This is a lovely program and works well with Windows 10
Old 19 January 2019, 11:03   #19
Pyromania

Blast from the past thread! Jim Sachs famous screen saver also comes with the Roku Ultra. Roku is a fantastic company and is run by Anthony Wood of Perfect Sound and Sunrise Industries Amiga fame. The Roku Ultra will make you never watch television the same way again. It’s one of the best!
Old 24 January 2019, 08:01   #20
demoniac

I believe both Carl Sassenrath and Dale Luck are at Roku still.