English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What console was closest to the Amiga? (Not counting CD32)
Genesis/MegaDrive 25 48.08%
SNES 5 9.62%
NEC Turbo Grafix/PC Engine 6 11.54%
Atari 5200 1 1.92%
Nintendo 64 0 0%
Atari Jaguar 2 3.85%
NES 0 0%
Pong 2 3.85%
Atari Lynx 10 19.23%
3DO 1 1.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 July 2008, 23:37   #1
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Closest console to the Amiga.

I think everyone here knows that many MegaDrive games were developed on the Amiga. Hence my idea that the Amiga and MD were close friends. They shared the same chip. But We also know the MD had horrid sound, whilst the SNES sound chip was very Amiga-like, in beauty of the sound, if not architecture.
Old 29 July 2008, 23:47   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Some MSX2 games have graphics & atmosphere similar to Amiga games.
Old 30 July 2008, 00:09   #3
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

The CD32
Old 30 July 2008, 00:10   #4
Graham Humphrey

Beat me to it. Why I oughta...
Old 30 July 2008, 00:15   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well both the megadrive and the SNES are somehow close to the Amiga, yet they both have a completly different sound. So I would go with Charlie on that matter
Old 30 July 2008, 00:16   #6
Leffmann

Megadrive IMO, since the SNES is WAY different than the Amiga in all hardware aspects, graphics most notably with its accelerated layers of tile maps, pixelization and Mode 7.

There was one hockey game for the MD I played at a friend's once as a kid which crashed and brought up something similiar to a Guru Mediation, with the game screen offset down with details of an unwanted exception printed out at the top inside a frame. When I saw that I actually thought they were the same under the casing.

Last edited by Leffmann; 30 July 2008 at 00:23.
Old 30 July 2008, 00:41   #7
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I too will have to say the Amiga CD32 is the closest console to an Amiga, as it is both a console, and an Amiga
Old 30 July 2008, 02:38   #8
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
Megadrive IMO, since the SNES is WAY different than the Amiga in all hardware aspects, graphics most notably with its accelerated layers of tile maps, pixelization and Mode 7.

There was one hockey game for the MD I played at a friend's once as a kid which crashed and brought up something similiar to a Guru Mediation, with the game screen offset down with details of an unwanted exception printed out at the top inside a frame. When I saw that I actually thought they were the same under the casing.
Was it EA Hockey? I know those were developed on Amiga.
Old 30 July 2008, 06:25   #9
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

The CDTV
Old 30 July 2008, 06:30   #10
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

The Atari Lynx was very amiga like.
Old 30 July 2008, 07:03   #11
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
It sure was cool. I think there were some hardware commonalities, if I am correct. Someone else better qualified can say so.
Old 30 July 2008, 07:16   #12
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Neogeo was too similar to Amiga and have better graphics than the CD32.

Good console, BTW.
Old 30 July 2008, 10:48   #13
Avanze
Amiga User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Fop View Post
But We also know the MD had horrid sound...
I think there exists some fine examples of what can be achieved using the YM2612, all of which do not sound terrible to my ears. Crappy composers can ruin the sound of the greatest sound chip in the world.

Quote:
...whilst the SNES sound chip was very Amiga-like, in beauty of the sound, if not architecture.
As for the SPC700 chip, it had major help from the DSP, and in this case really has a unique sound as opposed to the MOS8364. Probably more advanced too for its time.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:00   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I complety agree with you Avanze. The MD had some really nice music, but also there were a lot of tunes somehow 'converted' for the chip, which sounded quite bad. The SNES chip was a very great synthesizer and some of the sounds I will never forget (Secret of Mana for example).
The Amiga use of samples made it so different that it's hard to compare the music/sound to these both consoles.
As for the NeoGeo : Yes, maybe that the closest thing to a Amiga (I hate to say it, but it's even 'a little bit' better [just GFX and sound] ).
Old 30 July 2008, 11:12   #15
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
I heard or read somewhere once that some of the creators of the Amiga were also responsible for creating the Lynx, so that might just be why there are similarities

Someone feel free to correct me if i am wrong !?
Old 30 July 2008, 11:51   #16
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Ok Cyberbbuttock and Avanze, yes, I have heard nice sounds out of the Sega MD. But too often, the games had these burpy, muted, crappy, weird, sound effects that truly was ASS. I suppose not every game can be a Road Rash or Shadow of the Beast. Those were few and far between. Oh and there was this really great Japanese (translated by Nebelwerfer HQ to English) WW 2 sim game that was the inspiration to Panzer General called Advanced Daisenryaku. That game has great tunes and effects.
Old 30 July 2008, 11:52   #17
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Amiga Console Equivalents
  • A500 - Sega Genesis/MegaDrive
    A lot of techniques that are found in the Amiga are found in the Sega G/MD from Blitters and Co-Processors to dedicated Sound processors and Shared Bus Memory.
    The GPU's are about equivilant in performance and power if at either end of the scale a great 16 bit companion me thinks and they used the same CPU, thats nice and cute
  • A1200 - Atari Jaguar
    Again using a collection of chips forming a set to achieve multiple task, now a lot of people are going to biatch about the jag being 64 bits and the A1200 32, well sorry to burst your bubble the Jag is a multiple bit machine, the developer states its ONLY 64bits when it needs to be... hence video calculation, the main controller in the JAG is an MC68000.. this is 16 bit... there are more 32 bit chips in the Jag than either 16bit or 64 bit. now thats outa the way.

although the Jag was very short lived, it had the same feel in a lot of ways as an A1200 both in games and just ease of use.
Old 30 July 2008, 12:06   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

@Fred : I said 'but also there were a lot of tunes somehow 'converted' for the chip, which sounded quite bad'. But since the discussion with Akira and Ian I simply say it's 'different'

@Zetro : Ever played 'Tempest 2000' on the Jaguar? Never got so addicted to such a nice simple gameplay again
Old 30 July 2008, 12:17   #19
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Fop View Post
Was it EA Hockey? I know those were developed on Amiga.
Early 90's, can't recall anything else really.
Old 30 July 2008, 12:19   #20
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade002 View Post
I heard or read somewhere once that some of the creators of the Amiga were also responsible for creating the Lynx, so that might just be why there are similarities

Someone feel free to correct me if i am wrong !?
You're right. Designed by Dave Needle and the legendary RJ Mical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avance
As for the SPC700 chip, it had major help from the DSP, and in this case really has a unique sound as opposed to the MOS8364. Probably more advanced too for its time.
The SPC700 is the DSP. You're getting confused with the built-in delay on the chip. And a pile of crap it is too. Not even remotely advanced. It's not a synthesizer at all, it's just a straight-forward sample player with a single delay unit. 8 channels with 64k of RAM. It's only good feature is the ADPCM compression in hardware, effectively pushing that RAM up to about 227k.

But not really.

You see, if you use the delay line, you need to use some of the uncompressed RAM. The more RAM, the bigger the delays, and the less room you have to put your samples. Also, the music player code and music data sits in the same 64k space.

So the player code would probably take up about 5k, the music data itself another 5-10k. Let's say 10k. If you put on the delay for that echoey faux-reverb, that probably uses around 8k. That means available sample space is down to a mere 41k. With the ADPCM compression, that effectively gives you around 140k for 16-bit samples (you can't save space by using 8-bit samples as they have to upsampled to 16-bit before converting to ADPCM).

That ends up being the equivalent of 70k on the Amiga using 8-bit samples, so it's basically the Amiga with 8 channels and a delay.

So anyway, I was unimpressed. Not as unimpressed as with the Mega-CD, however, which had 8 channels and, once again, a weedy 64k for samples, but no hardware compression. We just converted a mod player to run on it and I wrote everything in 4-channels under 64k in Protracker.

I was also unimpressed when I got Playstation development audio board. It's basically just the SNES chip with 24 channels and 512k. And the PS2 is two PS1 chips welded together.