English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 06 December 2008, 13:49   #21
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingle View Post

I'd love to give it a go on my A1200 030!
cosmicfrog, I'm confused too, but I think we know what he's after.

Hi Mike I can send you the links for the A1200 packs as I'm sure you don't want this one as it's for 68000 processors.

I'll pm you the details now.
Old 06 December 2008, 18:15   #22
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Old 10 December 2008, 08:38   #23
lolafg

Hello Bloodwych , thank you for working on this version !!
I would be interessed to try it , could you please send me a link ?
Thanks in advance !!
Old 10 December 2008, 13:23   #24
Bloodwych

lolafg -> pm sent.
Old 10 December 2008, 15:09   #25
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
It seems to run slow. Im wondering if it has anything to do with the filesys, as the A600 has a 68K, and cant use SFS. Im currently using 45.9 from OS3.9.

It could also be that I have Only 4MB RAM, not sure, will have to do some more testing.
Old 10 December 2008, 17:06   #26
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
It seems to run slow.
I've only used it in WinUAE under an A500 speed config. Seems to work fine in there. No reason why it should run slow. You could try disabling some of the components under "settings", or reduce the screen colours to 8 (I may have left it on 16).

I may be replacing the Text Editor before the final release, as it's reported above people have found it to be slow. Shame JanoEditor had to be replaced really, but it's 020 only.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 10 December 2008 at 17:13.
Old 10 December 2008, 17:07   #27
DoogUK
Doogster

Hi Bloodwych, i use classicwb on all my amigas...could i have the link too please?
Old 10 December 2008, 20:46   #28
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
I've only used it in WinUAE under an A500 speed config. Seems to work fine in there. No reason why it should run slow. You could try disabling some of the components under "settings", or reduce the screen colours to 8 (I may have left it on 16).

I may be replacing the Text Editor before the final release, as it's reported above people have found it to be slow. Shame JanoEditor had to be replaced really, but it's 020 only.
Aye, I here you on the editor, but its deffo painfully slow on a real A600 with 4MB RAM. I have the colours set to 16.
Old 10 December 2008, 22:23   #29
Bloodwych

Try setting the colours to 8 and like I said, play with enabling/disabling the components under settings. See if that speeds it up.
Old 11 December 2008, 16:28   #30
lolafg

@Bloodwych,
I tried your classic workbench under winuae and i can say it is really good !!
Just one question , i tried to install it on a real A600 but i stopped because of the time taking by doing the "system.zip" and then i should have had to transfer it by a serial cable...very long too .
So my question is : will the final version be more simple to install in a real amiga ?

Thanks for your hard and good job !!
Old 11 December 2008, 18:06   #31
Bloodwych

The system.zip creation will obviously be a lot faster if you enable JIT in WInUAE and use the fastest possible CPU setting.

I've outlined all the methods available on my website. The fastest way is actually hooking the Amiga hard drive up to WinUAE.

http://classicwb.abime.net/classicweb/filetransfer.htm

Other methods are using a PCMCIA flash card, or a PCMCIA network card. Some get hold of Flash->IDE adaptors.
Old 16 December 2008, 14:38   #32
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Just to update, Redone the CF-MicroDrive. All is fine now, its runs ok. switching the colours down to 8, makes it a little bit faster.

Isnt there any patches, to speed things up, like with the 020? Bit like that systempatch3, that speeds the A1200 up loads.
Old 16 December 2008, 14:45   #33
Bloodwych

You could try the smart refresh patches:

http://aminet.net/search?query=smart+refresh

Might throw that in the final release too as an enable/disable component.
Old 17 December 2008, 21:34   #34
lolafg

@Bloodwych ,

I have installed your classic workbench in my real A600 (rom 3.1 ,2meg chip + 4 meg fast ) , i had to put it in 8 colors to make it a little more speed , the icons in 8 colors were really colored so i installed magic workbench and it is GREAT !!!
All is working fine but i would like to know how to add programs to the other menu and to the programs menu.
It is really easy to add games and demos , and give a new life to the old workbench !!
Thanks again for this very good version !!
Well , i could finally add some hd games to the other menu by editing the other menu script , cool !!Now i would like to add new programs to the menu programs, in this one there is only DPAINT IV , i would like to add Maxiplan III , Exellence and Xcopy pro 93. Could you show me the way ?thanks in advance !

Last edited by lolafg; 18 December 2008 at 14:08.
Old 19 December 2008, 17:34   #35
Bloodwych

@ lolafg

Yes, with the "OtherMenu" you just manually add the links as you have done and use the script to sort them alphabetically.

To add programs, it's really easy. The boxes use a program called ButtonMenu. Go to "Settings->ButtonMenu" to load up the editor. Then open and select "Programs" from the requester. You can then add what you want.

If you're still stuck, look at the docs in the "SYS:Expansion/BMenu" drawer.
Old 19 December 2008, 18:43   #36
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolafg View Post
@Bloodwych ,

I have installed your classic workbench in my real A600 (rom 3.1 ,2meg chip + 4 meg fast ) , i had to put it in 8 colors to make it a little more speed , the icons in 8 colors were really colored so i installed magic workbench and it is GREAT !!!
All is working fine but i would like to know how to add programs to the other menu and to the programs menu.
It is really easy to add games and demos , and give a new life to the old workbench !!
Thanks again for this very good version !!
Well , i could finally add some hd games to the other menu by editing the other menu script , cool !!Now i would like to add new programs to the menu programs, in this one there is only DPAINT IV , i would like to add Maxiplan III , Exellence and Xcopy pro 93. Could you show me the way ?thanks in advance !
So installing "magic workbench" gets rid of aweful purple icons when using 8 colours?
Old 19 December 2008, 19:55   #37
Bloodwych

No need to install MagicWB; it will just add another unnecessary patch to your system.

Change your screenmode back to 16 colours. Open the settings menu and start "Full Palette". There you can see the colours used, with those in positions 4-8 locked to the MagicWB palette. The pack was originally designed to use 16 colours, so NewIcons have a few spare to render game icons. If it's unacceptably slow in 16 colour screen mode, you'll have to lock those colours that are in positions 4-8 to 12-16 as well. This will mean 4 less colours will be available to NewIcons when the Workbench is in 16 colour mode.

To do this, write down the colours for MagicWB (RGB values) for each of the correct colours in positions 4-8.

Finally open up the normal Workbench Palette prefs and change those end four colours to the ones you've written down above. Save and all will be fixed.

The problem lies with a bug in the Workbench palette. The first four colours used (0-3) and the last four colours used (4-8 or 12-16 in 16 colour screenmode) are always locked, while the rest are considered "free pens". It always uses colours 0-8 for Workbench, but the last four colours jump up positions as you increase the number of colours used (does this on AGA machines too). So if you run an 8 colour screenmode, all colours are used for Workbench normal icons. If you run a 16 colour screenmode, colours 4-8 "jump" up to become colours 12-16, meaning that colours 4-8 have now changed to free pens unless you've "locked" them!

The only way to stop normal icons from becoming discoloured is to lock colours 4-8 in 16 colour screenmodes and above, and colours 12-16 if you need to go back down to an 8 colour screenmode as 12-16 will overwrite colours 4-8 when you return to 8 colours.

Did that make any sense? Probably not; really it's much easier to understand with a diagram!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 19 December 2008 at 20:17.
Old 19 December 2008, 22:27   #38
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Did that make any sense? Probably not; really it's much easier to understand with a diagram!
lmfao, . Ill give it a go.
Old 19 December 2008, 23:28   #39
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
lmfao, . Ill give it a go.
Cool.

For those who have run 16 colours on a real 68000 Amiga - is it really slow compared to 8?

I know 16 colours was unbearably slow in Workbench 2.1, but I thought it was faster under 3.1.

I need to decide if to make the release pack 8 colours or stick with the current 16 colour palette.
Old 20 December 2008, 09:56   #40
lolafg

@Bloodwych,
the 16 colours mode isn't really slow , but for my part if i want to use amiga explorer to transfer files it only works with the 8 colours mode.
I will try now to add progams...
Thanks