English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 19 February 2014, 01:29   #1
Olecranon

/X Telnet BBS

I'm feeling a little nostalgic and was kicking around the idea of putting up an Ami Express BBS using telnet. I used to run a pretty popular board back in the late 80's/Early 90's, but Olecranon was not my handle

I'm looking for some honest opinions.

1) Would anyone even use such a thing?

2) I have a couple 030 based A2000 laying around that get very little use. Would I be better off running it on actual hardware? Or could I run it on a PC using winuae?

3) I don't have a network adapter for an Amiga. Is there a cost effective solution? Or another reason to use winuae?
Old 22 February 2014, 17:34   #2
Olecranon

Sometimes silence can be deafening

This seems to be a case where people probably don't want to dissuade me, but nobody is really interested in calling an old school BBS when websites like this are available and superior in functionality.

I've gotten a bit nostalgic lately.. Hell, I even bought a turntable and started listening to vinyl records. I also got sick of paying $5 for disposable shaving cartridges. I went back to the old style razors that use the .25 cent blades w/shaving brush and shaving soap.

Sometimes progress isn't progress...... But sometimes it is.

I'm going to shelve this idea for now. Still would have been fun to see my old BBS ASCII art screen one last time.
Old 22 February 2014, 22:43   #3
Lonewolf10
AMOS Extensions Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olecranon View Post
Sometimes silence can be deafening

This seems to be a case where people probably don't want to dissuade me, but nobody is really interested in calling an old school BBS when websites like this are available and superior in functionality.

I've gotten a bit nostalgic lately.. Hell, I even bought a turntable and started listening to vinyl records. I also got sick of paying $5 for disposable shaving cartridges. I went back to the old style razors that use the .25 cent blades w/shaving brush and shaving soap.

Sometimes you have to give it a week or so for people to respond. It is the weekend and some people may be relaxing, playing games or spending time with their family.

Whilst I have no experience with setting up BBS's (on any computer), I have been using my Windows laptop to telnet several BBS's for a couple of months now. In particular I telnet the following BBS's daily:

Cottonwood BBS (running on a real, and slightly modified, C64) - cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org 23
Particles BBS - particlesbbs.hopto.org 6400

I do telnet 4 or 5 other BBS's (some running on real retro hardware and some emulated BBS's running on modern hardware) once or twice a week.

It's been great fun playing old BBS games such as Masters Empire and Stock Market

FYI: My BBS name is 'Lonewolf10'

Quote:
Sometimes progress isn't progress...... But sometimes it is.
Yeah, I have been trying to use my credit card to buy something and the security password (verified by Visa) is being auto-filled in by my browsers cache causing it to fail
(For those not familiar with it, each time I buy something I am asked to enter 3 random characters from my password, so they aren't the same each time)
Old 22 February 2014, 23:52   #4
don27dog

Quote:
I'm feeling a little nostalgic and was kicking around the idea of putting up an Ami Express BBS using telnet. I used to run a pretty popular board back in the late 80's/Early 90's, but Olecranon was not my handle

I'm looking for some honest opinions.

1) Would anyone even use such a thing?

2) I have a couple 030 based A2000 laying around that get very little use. Would I be better off running it on actual hardware? Or could I run it on a PC using winuae?

3) I don't have a network adapter for an Amiga. Is there a cost effective solution? Or another reason to use winuae?
I would love to see another /X board back online. I ran my board from 88-97 then shut it all down and didn't touch an amiga for 12 years. In 2008 I was at my parents for x-mas and was bored and went searching for my amiga gear in the attic. My mom had saved all the hardware but threw away all my disks. I brought my 3000T back with me and set my board back up in early 09 and it has been up ever since. I don't get a lot of calls usually 4-5 callers per day but it is still fun for me to tinker with. Just this past week my powersupply finally died on the real amiga. I moved the BBS to my 4000D but didn't want to tie up my only working Amiga so I tried Winuae and was able to get everything working on that. If you need any help I will be glad to do whatever I can to help.
Old 27 February 2014, 14:28   #5
Apollo

I was never that much into modem trading. Never had a "dual standard" . Was happy with my Zyxel EG+, remarkable for being certified by the german Bundespost so it was 'legal' connecting it to the german lines. Only called nearby BBSes (anyone remember "Ortstarif"?) from friends and other people I usually knew personally.
Regarding your question: why should I 'rang' an AmiEx BBS nowadays? Its not any more about the credits, the msgs or the stuff to leech. This were, at least for me, the main resons why I called a BBS.

Now I read about some old-fashioned MUDs. Are these still played?
Old 27 February 2014, 19:34   #6
ciVic

For 4 or 5 callers I would also setup a new box, maybe with Aminet free download . Not on my A4k but another real Amiga. I didn't knew that they are still so "popular".
Old 27 February 2014, 21:41   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
nobody is really interested in calling an old school BBS when websites like this are available and superior in functionality.
I still call, from time to time, PETSCII C64 BBSes. It's fun and they are quite active.
The Amiga scene, on the other hand, is in quite a sad state, so dunno how active yours could be.
Do it! I'll log in
Old 27 February 2014, 22:35   #8
demoniac

I like BBSes as they contain original scene files and not ADFs transferred from floppies where there could be errors and modified data. I guess I would transfer all the original BBS data to a modern computer and software to run it that way.