English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 28 September 2008, 20:43   #1
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Class Workbench Start-Sequence Logic

Excuse me for being a bit rusty but I am trying to add entries to the default "PATH" statement by editing the startup-sequence and noticed that the entries are being completely ignored. I even commented out the existing path statement and I still had paths showing in the CLI path command.

Where do I go to modify the PATH statement?

Thanks!

P.S. I have commented out the L and R mouse button detection routines.

Last edited by illy5603; 28 September 2008 at 21:33.
Old 28 September 2008, 22:12   #2
Bloodwych

There is nothing different about the ClassicWB.

If you remove the universal path line and haven't added another anywhere else in the startup-sequence, the only paths will be "current directory" and "C" which are hard programmed into the kickstart.

If you add a location to the end of the default path line, it will be added.

If you add a separate path line anywhere in the startup-sequence or user-startup, it will be added.

Another place you could add a path line is the shell-startup file, which is accessed when a CLI/shell window is opened.
Old 28 September 2008, 22:40   #3
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
There is nothing different about the ClassicWB.

If you remove the universal path line and haven't added another anywhere else in the startup-sequence, the only paths will be "current directory" and "C" which are hard programmed into the kickstart.

If you add a location to the end of the default path line, it will be added.

If you add a separate path line anywhere in the startup-sequence or user-startup, it will be added.

Another place you could add a path line is the shell-startup file, which is accessed when a CLI/shell window is opened.
Well I can't explain what is happening then... I know the following.

• If I add additional paths to existing path statement in the startup-sequence, they are ignored.
  • If I comment out the path statement in the startup-sequence I still have the paths listed in the path statement.
  • If I add separate path add statements in either the startup-sequence or the user startup, they are ignored.

By any chance are there GUI utilities out there that take over path controls? I added MCP for the border blanker.
Old 28 September 2008, 22:56   #4
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

@illy5603

I can't explain your problem but it certainly works for me.

I've just added SYS:Programs/FinalWriter

To the end of the path statement in the ClassicWB Full startup-sequence and it worked as it should

Are you sure that you're overwriting the original file with the new file? That you're doing a reset for the changes to be seen? Obvious stuff really but you never know

Dave G
Old 28 September 2008, 23:07   #5
illy5603

Well here are my startup-sequence and user-startup. Maybe something is wrong, but none of this makes any sense to me...

I uninstalled MCP and it is still behaving the same.

I added the .txt before uploading, there is no extension when they are on the Amiga.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Startup-Sequence.txt (2.4 KB, 259 views)
File Type: txt User-Startup.txt (1.3 KB, 234 views)
Old 28 September 2008, 23:15   #6
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

@illy5603

The Path command in your user-startup is commented out - so that won't do anything...

The Path command in the startup-sequence is split over 2 lines in my editor. This needs to be on one line...is yours on one line?

Dave G
Old 28 September 2008, 23:19   #7
illy5603

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideo View Post
@illy5603

The Path command in your user-startup is commented out - so that won't do anything...

The Path command in the startup-sequence is split over 2 lines in my editor. This needs to be on one line...is yours on one line?

Dave G
The problem is, I can type whatever I want in the existing PATH command or leave it commented out and I still have the same paths showing when I issue the PATH command from a CLI. Shouldn't I have just the current directory and C: showing if it was pulling this information from the startup-sequence with the path command commented out?
Old 28 September 2008, 23:26   #8
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

@illy5603

I'm not sure but I do know that any Paths set within a CLI or Shell command are forgotten and only apply to that particular window as far as I remember.

Your Path command was right in your startup-sequence it was my editor that split it

I've just tried adding a 2nd line to my startup-sequence and it works as it should once I'd restarted my WB.

This may sound daft and it shouldn't make any difference but have you tried removing the ADD from the first Path statement?

Dave G
Old 28 September 2008, 23:30   #9
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

I should learn to look closer when people post problems like this

Your Path command has no colon after the NIL it should be NIL:

Dave G

Ignore the above - my eyes are getting old and tired ;-)

Last edited by davideo; 28 September 2008 at 23:34. Reason: I dropped a bollox
Old 28 September 2008, 23:34   #10
illy5603

Thanks for the reply Dave,

Well, I figured it out... Check this out...

Go to SYS:SYSTEM and run shell from there. Bingo! Paths are correct!

Run the SHELL from the ButtonMenu (BMX) and the additional paths are not there.

Hmmmm..
Old 28 September 2008, 23:36   #11
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by illy5603 View Post
Thanks for the reply Dave,
Go to SYS:SYSTEM and run shell from there. Bingo! Paths are correct!
Hmmmm..
That's where I'd been checking my alterations from - no wonder we were getting different results

Dave G
Old 28 September 2008, 23:38   #12
illy5603

OK, well now this has me wondering what the heck is up with the button menu SHELL?
Old 28 September 2008, 23:41   #13
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

Quote:
OK, well now this has me wondering what the heck is up with the button menu SHELL?
I've not heard of BMX. What is it?

It could be that that shell has it's own Path command which is run when the shell is opened.

Dave G
Old 28 September 2008, 23:43   #14
illy5603

In classic-workbench it is what comes up when you click the LAUNCH icon. I had been using shell from there. No biggie. I kind of want to get rid of button menu and use the scalos shortcuts anyway.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 29 September 2008, 00:07   #15
Bloodwych

Whoops, yeah my bad didn't realize you were using the Launch shell and forgot I had to fix it to get it to work normally.

Go into the "Programs/Buttonmenu/Scripts" folder and double click the Shell script. You can alter the path there.

Buttonmenu executes a separate Shell process without universal paths for some reason so added that temporary fix. Problem is, I never got around to going back and fixing it properly!
Old 29 September 2008, 00:12   #16
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
Buttonmenu executes a separate Shell process without paths for some reason so added that temporary fix. Problem is, I never got around to going back and fixing it properly!
One possible solution would be to use an utility like wblaunch to launch the script c:openshell you already have in C:.

EDIT:

Just noticed that there's wbrun included so a fix would work as follows:

Run ButtonMenu from sys:programs/buttonmenu
From the menu choose Project/Open
Choose 'Launch' form the file requester
Click on Shell and change the dos comand to 'wbrun c:openshell' (remember to hit Enter afterwards)
From the menu choose Project>Save

All sorted :)

Last edited by ppill; 29 September 2008 at 00:22.
Old 29 September 2008, 00:21   #17
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
One possible solution would be to use an utility like wblaunch to launch the script cpenshell you already have in C:.
Thanks.

I've actually fixed this a while back using WBRun rather than let Buttonmenu handle the launches through CLI. I just forgot to update that one particular button.
Old 29 September 2008, 00:28   #18
illy5603

@PPIL,

Thanks for the WBRUN idea but I noticed that none of my paths are listed when running PATH from this shell.
Old 29 September 2008, 00:39   #19
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
@PPIL,

Thanks for the WBRUN idea but I noticed that none of my paths are listed when running PATH from this shell.
Which Shell? The one from ButtonMenu?
Old 29 September 2008, 01:06   #20
Bloodwych

That “C:OpenShell” command is actually meant to be for the popup menus only – it keys to the current directory so you can, say, right click on a drawer or file and select “Shell” from the popup and it will open a shell window with the drawer/file path automatically. Very useful; that’s why I created an icon for it in C:

I’ve just had chance to fire up the ClassicWB and it’s all coming back to me now – LOL! It’s not fixed, although I do use WBRun for a few things in that menu.

I remember – I can’t for the life of me open a shell window using ButtonMenu with the universal Workbench paths ready like any other shell launch. I had to use a separate script to re-list the paths.

The program itself must stick to its own default paths of current directory and C: when launching items as a separate process, and Shell inherits its paths from whatever launches it so for scripts and Shell you have to re-list them.

WBRun does no good as it still inherits those default paths from ButtonMenu. If no solution is available, I’ll add the Launch Shell script under the startup menus for easier access but I would rather have it acting universally. ppill did you try your method? I don't think it works.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 29 September 2008 at 01:31.