English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 May 2020, 21:50   #161
cdh

I'm also waiting for the A500/A2000 version version to go back in stock.
Old 08 May 2020, 16:31   #162
Bren McGuire

32-bit version wanted!
(but also this one haha)
Old 03 June 2020, 15:26   #163
Zippy Zapp

Are there going to be future firmware updates for the ROMulator and if so where will they be available?
Old 03 June 2020, 20:30   #164
Hercules
Beer monster

Looks amazing, can't wait to get A1200 version if and when its available. Just don't use Amiga On The Lake for distribution unless customers wish to wait 2 years as with their new keyboards
Old 04 June 2020, 16:26   #165
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
Looks amazing, can't wait to get A1200 version if and when its available. Just don't use Amiga On The Lake for distribution unless customers wish to wait 2 years as with their new keyboards
I have ordered several times from AOTL and have always received my orders within a few days, including the ROMulator. Just because the keyboards are delayed does not mean everything is.
Old 14 June 2020, 17:48   #166
Honey Badger

Received my Romulator for Amiga 600 from Amiga-on-the-Lake rather quickly ... but, having difficulty getting it to work --- the Amiga comes up with an entirely black screen & caps lock light just flickers

think MAYBE I ruined it (the romulator, that is) -- if I put the ROM back in, the Amiga works fine
Old 14 June 2020, 20:58   #167
cdh

I am in the process of installing an A600 Romulator in an Amiga 1000 and can tell you from experience that you must have the KBRST signal connected properly to the motherboard. Otherwise, the 68000 CPU will start executing before the Romulator has finished loading an image from the MicroSD. Looking at the A600 schematics, you could either connect at pin 2 of R511D, pin 3 of Q511, or pin 1 of U49.

You need to format the MicroSD and install your ROM image in the root directory before installing the MicroSD in the Romulator. Here are the Linux commands I used to format the MicroSD for the Romulator:
Code:
umount /dev/sdb
mkdosfs -F 32 -I /dev/sdb
dosfslabel /dev/sdb Kickstart
Note that /dev/sdb is where the MicroSD appeared in my system. You can use
Code:
cat proc/partitions
to find your inserted MicroSD. If you're not using Linux, maybe someone else can help with how to format the drive.

Make sure your ROM image is not encrypted (so don't use an image from AmigaForever). I don't think the Romulator supports those images. Also, you will want to make sure your image is compatible with the A600. You can't use a ROM image for an A4000, for example.
Old 14 June 2020, 22:00   #168
Honey Badger

thanks for the tips -- do have the tiny sd card formatted properly & ROMs on the root (not inside of any subdirectory)

the pin is connected to Q511 & the reset itself works (can tap the RF modulator and system reboots) -- but, nothing at all shows on the screen, should be a menu selector, but not even that

not sure what's going on - certain I have the romulator set properly - the two LEDs are on

and for what it's worth, the keyboard's caps lock light is permanently on
Old 15 June 2020, 04:39   #169
cdh

Having two LEDs on is a good sign. It's likely your Romulator isn't completely dead.

I just tested, and even with a blank MicroSD, you should still see the ROM selection screen. There will be an error, "SD card read error" in that case.

Since this is the A600 Romulator, you probably already know this from markings on the board, but in case not, make sure the "head" of the Romulator is not oriented toward pin 1, which you should be able to see on the board based on where the "notch" is on the socket.

If you suspect your Romulator is dead, you might try connecting a USB-to-Serial TTL adapter to the console port. Look for three holes on the left side of the head. The top is labeled Rx, the middle (GND) is not labeled, and the bottom is labeled Tx. Connect Rx to Tx of your USB-to-Serial TTL and Tx to Rx of your USB-to-Serial TTL. When you power on your Amiga with the Romulator installed, you should see a bunch of output as it starts up. There is a command line where you can type "help" to see the commands available.
Old 15 June 2020, 05:31   #170
Honey Badger

quite sure the romulator isn't dead - just for whatever reason, I'm not getting the Amiga to activate the screen at all & the keyboard caps lock light remains on

beginning to suspect it's not the romulator's fault so much as perhaps my motherboard -- wondering if maybe the 555 timer is the culprit somehow

good idea on trying to narrow things down with a TTL adapter

have a tiny bit of electronics experience with amateur radio from decades ago ... so, tinkering with this amiga is fun --- and just enough knowledge to be dangerous

and fortunately, haven't damaged anything - w/o the romulator, the amiga works fine
Old 15 June 2020, 16:13   #171
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh View Post
Make sure your ROM image is not encrypted (so don't use an image from AmigaForever).
Actually, Amiga Forever ROMs are no longer encrypted so you can use them and it is a great way to obtain the ROMs. At least since 2017.

http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-145

Solid LED caps lock isn't good. I had an issue with using my ROMulator on a Rev 5 A500 and it turned out to be my A500. I could see the list of ROMs but none of them would load not even the DIAGROM. It turned out to be my keyboard as it also intermittently had a watchdog timer fault. I haven't tracked it down yet what is causing it.

Edit: After reading the other thread about this problem is there anyway you can try it on someone else's A600 just to rule out the 600?

Last edited by Zippy Zapp; 15 June 2020 at 16:44.
Old 17 June 2020, 03:15   #172
Honey Badger

wish I could try another A600 ... but, nope

have a USB to TLL adapter & working on getting it configured to a laptop for reading whatever output might be coming from the romulator ... that ought to be a good indicator of whether it's ok
Old 17 June 2020, 09:59   #173
cdh

Thanks for the info, Zippy Zap. I'm glad to know that Cloanto changed this. I picked up AmigaForever 7 Premium in 2017, apparently before they made this great change.

Honey Badger, the console output will give you an idea if the Romulator's ARM processor is working. Since you've got both LEDs on, I expect you'll see a lot of output. Here are a few commands to get you started:
help - show list of commands
memtest - test Romulator SRAM
ls - show files in the current directory
free - show free space on MicroSD

If you have a CPU accelerator in your Amiga, you might try removing that just to be sure it's not an incompatibility between the accelerator and the Romulator.

Another thought -- is the Romulator making good contact with the ROM socket in your Amiga? I recently experienced a problem like this myself with an 8MB/IDE controller (mem68k61x1 5v4m16/ide 68k v425) upgrade which sits under the 68000 CPU in my Amiga 1000. I needed to use a machine pin header to raise the CPU a bit above the upgrade board. The machine pins were so accurate that some were sitting dead center in the machine pin sockets below -- not making contact. I verified this by walking a, ohm meter down each pin of the CPU, checking for connection with the socket below. I "fixed" that by using needle nose pliers to slightly mash the machine pins of the machine pin header, just enough that they were not so perfect. Since then, the CPU has been working reliably, even though I am still trying to make IDE controller work correctly with HDToolBox.
Old 17 June 2020, 13:40   #174
Honey Badger

so ... pretty well concluded the problem is something with the Amiga itself .... got the romulator connected to a laptop via the TTL adapter, and indeed plenty of output

safe to conclude the romulator is fine & seated properly in the socket

as for what, exactly, is my Amiga's issue; inconclusive, but I suspect there could have been damage before being 'recapped' - have experienced other relatively minor wonkiness

and quite sure the ROMs I have should work (mine from AF v 8) - and do function in WinFellow, for example
Old 17 June 2020, 16:57   #175
E-Penguin
Banana

Are you using encrypted roms (is there a rom.key file with the distribution)? if so, you can 'rip' from inside winuae/winfellow and then use the unencrypted ones in the romulator
Old 17 June 2020, 19:07   #176
haightc

the A600 versions doesn't sit with the furia, it just for shigrins I flipped the chip around and it fit way better that way. how are a600 users fitting theirs?
Old 19 June 2020, 22:14   #177
Honey Badger

Got the son of gun working! Was my goof all along ... didn't pay close enough attention to detail & had the wire soldered on the wrong side of Q511
Old 19 June 2020, 22:18   #178
kipper2k

Here is correct placement of the reset wire a600...

http://www.kipper2k.com/romboard/a600HWreset.jpg
Old 19 June 2020, 22:41   #179
kipper2k

I do have a batch of a500 romulators almost ready. Please be patient as there are things that are at play slowing me down (more than usual, i know)
Old 19 June 2020, 22:53   #180
cdh

kipper2k: I'm excited to learn that! The Romulator in my Amiga 2000 is AWESOME. I use it frequently to test different beta AmigaOS 3.2 ROM versions. I'm in the process of getting an Amiga 1000 up with an A600 Romulator (on top of a Kwikstart II). The Romulator is working beautifully, and I'm only struggling with another part of the upgrade -- getting the IDE controller to work reliably in the ide 68k v425). I have an A2091 on the way eBay that I'll put in an external box until I can get the IDE controller working with an internal CF (or SD-to-CF adapter).

Honey Badger: Congratulations on getting your Romulator to work!