English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 26 August 2018, 13:52   #61
MikeyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Could you please tell in detail how to configure it to record videos from WinUAE, or some other how to record videos with any other program, please?
Load up WinUAE, I have mine in Windowed Mode, make sure its set to Direct3D 11 in Misc. setting.

Then load up OBS, keep WinUAE running, I add new source. Game Capture. Specific Window and then select WinUAE64 window. You should see the amiga screen. (If you doing full screen then Capture any full screen application should work)

Some troubleshooting:
If you are getting black screen and cursor I've seen that before when its not in Direct3D 11 mode in WinUAE. Also if your running on a laptop with dedicated graphics make sure its not using Intel onboard and force Nvidia graphics. I found this on my laptop, that it was auto selecting intel over nvidia. To force it go to Nvidia Manage 3D Settings, and there should be a preferred graphics processor option, i set mine from auto to nvidia.

Hope thats clearer
Old 27 August 2018, 03:04   #62
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Oh, thank you very much indeed. I've been reading all of the former post and tried them. I'm not any expert and I try what I can. OBS looks for me the best option so far, but I didn't have any idea about how to configure it and also WinUAE.

Well, thanks to your advice I've changed to Direct3D 11 and windowed mode in WinUAE (1024x768) to record a RTG setup. As it wasn't working well (slow, intermittent sound and so) then I've closed a lot of programs that my PC was running and then I've also selected as you say a new source, the windowed WinUAE one. Then I've selected in OBS 1920x1080 in the video settings.

But sorry, I need more instructions for the OBS setup as it skips a lot of frames per second and so, so it's jumping them in the recording.

EDIT: I've done it, thanks a lot.

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by Retrofan; 30 August 2018 at 10:15.
Old 06 May 2020, 19:18   #63
kriz

Some more info on the OBS setup would be nice, i need full 50FPS recording with full quality.. There is quite a few options in settings... I set Winuae to 1024x768 windowed and added it as a source in OBS .. But what about these settings in OBS:

Video: Base, output, downscale filter, common fps (50 PAL here).. For Audio: 44.1kHz (Winuae set to the same) , other options needed here ? Then is the output option Recording format.. Any other important options in Winuae ?

Thanks to anyone who got this set up working as intended ...
Old 10 May 2020, 12:05   #64
falken

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
Some more info on the OBS setup would be nice, i need full 50FPS recording with full quality.. There is quite a few options in settings... I set Winuae to 1024x768 windowed and added it as a source in OBS .. But what about these settings in OBS:

Video: Base, output, downscale filter, common fps (50 PAL here).. For Audio: 44.1kHz (Winuae set to the same) , other options needed here ? Then is the output option Recording format.. Any other important options in Winuae ?

Thanks to anyone who got this set up working as intended ...
Is your video crisp and clear with those settings? Or does it look somewhat blurry from the original source?
Old 10 May 2020, 12:40   #65
jotd
This cat is no more

TL;DR use the codec that can record the video without glitches even if it creates a big file, then reencode to MP4 to compress the file.
Old 11 May 2020, 12:49   #66
Foebane

I'm revisiting making videos from WinUAE, and have used TSCC and the first test videos I made look beautiful, if I untick all the capture options except "capture before filtering". The only problem I have now is the audio is full PCM, which results in large file sizes even if the video part is smaller.

Is there a good audio encoder (preferably AAC) that works with WinUAE? I'll settle for MP3 if I have to, even if its obsolete now.
Old 11 May 2020, 16:39   #67
Foebane

Seriously, how can I increase my audio codec options? I'm stuck with PCM 44100 Hz only!
Old 11 May 2020, 17:21   #68
jotd
This cat is no more

ffmpeg allows to copy video stream and reencode audio. it is post processing though
Old 11 May 2020, 18:00   #69
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
ffmpeg allows to copy video stream and reencode audio. it is post processing though
Is it fiddly to process the AVI files with? Or can I just run ffmpeg through the command line with the video file with PCM and it will spit out a smaller video file with AAC, just like that?
Old 11 May 2020, 18:06   #70
jotd
This cat is no more

yup. I will provide the command line for you as soon as I have access to my examples. It's really simple, specially when you spent hours tuning a proper command line
I'm not sure if it can spit out .AVI though. MP4 is more the standard nowadays (or MKV). AVI is a bit has-been. (edit: ffmpeg can output .avi container!! it's just the greatest converter ever)

Last edited by jotd; 12 May 2020 at 00:21.
Old 11 May 2020, 18:09   #71
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you have stereo sound mode selected? (Most codecs don't support other modes) Check also sound frequency after starting emulation because even if you select 44100Hz, selected sound driver might force 48000Hz or vice versa.
Old 11 May 2020, 18:35   #72
Foebane

Quote:
yup. I will provide the command line for you as soon as I have access to my examples. It's really simple, specially when you spent hours tuning a proper command line
I'm not sure if it can spit out .AVI though. MP4 is more the standard nowadays (or MKV). AVI is a bit has-been.
The extension doesn't matter, and for some reason, only Windows Media Player can run it (some Win10 app called "Films & TV" can't)

But a demo I recorded just now that is over 9.5 minutes long takes up around 398Mb uncompressed. Is that too much, or is it average for video files, especially non-filtered ones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Do you have stereo sound mode selected? (Most codecs don't support other modes) Check also sound frequency after starting emulation because even if you select 44100Hz, selected sound driver might force 48000Hz or vice versa.
Yep, my configs are set to 48000Hz. I think I must've fiddled with the audio settings before I started emulation at one point.
Old 11 May 2020, 21:55   #73
jotd
This cat is no more

the extension DOES matter. The meta format is different. Also, depending on the extension, such or such program could be associated with the file. And some programs may only rely on the extension to select the proper parser.

400Mb seems good for 10 minutes without compression. But a 2 hour movie just takes around 1Gb with MP4 compression.
Old 11 May 2020, 22:17   #74
Foebane

Quote:
the extension DOES matter. The meta format is different. Also, depending on the extension, such or such program could be associated with the file. And some programs may only rely on the extension to select the proper parser.
What I mean is I'll be satisfied with either avi or mp4, depending on what ffmpeg converts them to. I just wonder why the TSCC/PCM avis don't work with that Win10 app. It also means my target platform, my Android phone, might not work with them either.

Quote:
400Mb seems good for 10 minutes without compression. But a 2 hour movie just takes around 1Gb with MP4 compression.
Does the MP4 compression affect the video? I'd rather it only affect the audio, the video is fine as it is.
Old 11 May 2020, 22:21   #75
jotd
This cat is no more

Well, if the inner format is supported by mp4, a copy of the video stream will work (and will be very fast). If you link to your video I can have a try at it to repack only the audio.
Old 11 May 2020, 23:32   #76
Foebane

Quote:
Well, if the inner format is supported by mp4, a copy of the video stream will work (and will be very fast). If you link to your video I can have a try at it to repack only the audio.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nb...tbb-Joc-v6GsNN

Here you go.

This is my second attempt, as I uploaded the video without compression and it was trying to process it, so I zipped it up this time.
Old 11 May 2020, 23:42   #77
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Foebane, have a look in the zone.
Old 11 May 2020, 23:44   #78
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

@Foebane : To recode your "video" or "audio" or "video & audio", you can use XMediaRecode (nice and easy light gui) if you don't want to record directly with OBS.
Old 12 May 2020, 00:18   #79
jotd
This cat is no more

@Foebane I could change audio track and keep video intact and output to .avi

ffmpeg rules, specially since you can batch the conversions. Other tools with a GUI require you to click on buttons to death, and batch modes are also not that good. Command line forever!

Code:
ffmpeg -i "GHOSTOWN human traffic @56883.avi" -acodec mp3 -b:a 320k -vcodec copy ghostown.avi
320k may be a bit excessive, you may want to reduce this.

On my machine it takes a few seconds to reencode only the audio.

a good starting point was: https://superuser.com/questions/2154...gs-with-ffmpeg

PS: awesome demo BTW, and the video codec is great too.
Old 12 May 2020, 00:28   #80
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Foebane, have a look in the zone.
How did you do that? I'm SHOCKED at how small the file is!