English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 September 2017, 10:40   #21
Foebane

I've just tried Lagarith and it looks good. HOWEVER, I'm still having the sync issue with the audio.

I uncheck all the boxes above the "AVI Output" record button, and record as usual, but I notice that if there's a long silence before a demo starts, then when I play the video back the audio for the demo starts immediately, even during the loading WB screen! It's as if the audio part won't record until there's audio output. I don't see an option for that. What's going on?
Old 06 September 2017, 13:34   #22
JanciB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I uncheck all the boxes above the "AVI Output" record button, and record as usual, but I notice that if there's a long silence before a demo starts, then when I play the video back the audio for the demo starts immediately, even during the loading WB screen! It's as if the audio part won't record until there's audio output. I don't see an option for that. What's going on?
In the Sound config untick "Automatic switching"
Old 06 September 2017, 17:47   #23
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanciB View Post
What does that do? When does it switch?
Old 06 September 2017, 17:52   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
What does that do? When does it switch?
It switches off sound emulation after few second delay when there is no sound register/dma activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanciB View Post
This should have been fixed already.
Old 06 September 2017, 18:28   #25
Foebane

Thanks, Toni.

I found the purpose on Google, from the Abime site itself: http://guide.abime.net/wb3.1/chap1.htm

Quote:
Optional - From WinUAE 1.3.3 you will notice a new tick box labelled 'Automatic switching'. Ticking this box will disable sound emulation when it's not required, reducing CPU load, and auto enable when the software requires sound)
Old 06 September 2017, 18:31   #26
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
This should have been fixed already.
I left it ticked, as that's how I found it. I didn't even know what it did back then, and I never noticed any problems. I might just untick it for good now, seeing as I've got enough processing power anyway.
Old 06 September 2017, 19:47   #27
Foebane

Can someone recommend to me a good AVI>MP4 compression tool? I have tried Handbrake, as I used it with the Shadowplay videos, but it doesn't seem to convert that well, and in any case, I would prefer something that is simple to use, has good quality and retains the original 720x576 resolution and 50fps framerate I'm using.

Any ideas?
Old 06 September 2017, 20:08   #28
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Tried Lagarith and it works fine with WinUAE. Just one BIG problem: Files gets MUCH bigger than files recorded with TSCC? I though Lagarith would have better compression? In TSCC there is a compression slider, there is no such thing in Lagarith?

Recorded a game with no scrolling for 30 seconds:

TSCC = 6 Mb
Lagarith = 35 Mb!
Old 06 September 2017, 20:31   #29
Foebane

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipoonios View Post
Tried Lagarith and it works fine with WinUAE. Just one BIG problem: Files gets MUCH bigger than files recorded with TSCC? I though Lagarith would have better compression? In TSCC there is a compression slider, there is no such thing in Lagarith?

TSCC = 6 Mb
Lagarith = 35 Mb!
Because Lagarith is lossless.
Old 06 September 2017, 20:35   #30
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

So is TSCC
Old 06 September 2017, 20:58   #31
Foebane

Quote:
So is TSCC
Fair enough.

I've settled on the video codecs, so now can someone recommend an MP3 or AAC codec? I'm using the default PCM but I think I need something compressed.

Any ideas?
Old 07 September 2017, 02:03   #32
Al82

I used to use VirtualDub and Lame MP3 codec, but I recently moved to using FFMPEG directly from the command line as this has support for x.264 (plus x.265), AAC and mkv/mp4 containers right out of the box.

Handbrake is basically a GUI slapped on top of FFMPEG, but I found that I still had more control over the output by using FFMPEG natively.

Example:

Code:
ffmpeg -i "input.avi" -vf scale=iw*4:ih*4:flags=neighbor -c:a aac -b:a 320k -c:v libx264 -crf 10 -profile:v high -level 4.0 -preset slow -pix_fmt yuv420p -f matroska "output.mkv"
The above would take an input video (input.avi) and create an upscaled (400%) output video using x264 and AAC audio in an .mkv container. It gives you an idea of what you can do with it

If you want an idea of the output quality: https://www.youtube.com/user/kkbigal/videos

They usually still look/sound pretty good even after going through the YouTube sausage machine
Old 07 September 2017, 06:13   #33
Foebane

Is there a keyboard shortcut for "AVI output enabled"?

Also, does FFMPEG offer fade in/out or any kind of support for AVISynth?
Old 07 September 2017, 11:01   #34
john4p
Local Moderator

You can map any keyboard/joypad/mouse button to Audio/Video recording:

I also had the sound output problem. Had to manually synch audio and video in VirtualDub with audio interleaving. Good to know about "Automatic Switching".
Old 07 September 2017, 20:17   #35
Foebane

Tried it, ran into problems, and I've given up. I think it's better to use an external recorder anyway rather than try and make WinUAE handle all recording duties as well as running the emulation, and I found one called Bandicam. I might consider giving it a try later on, but I think the live emulation should be a priority, the videos were only ever for when I was away from the PC anyway.

BTW, how do I uninstall the Techsoft codec? There's nothing on "Programs and Features" to allow me to do so.
Old 09 September 2017, 13:56   #36
Al82

Quote:

TSCC = 6 Mb
Lagarith = 35 Mb!
The codec appears to be available here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...ture_codec.htm

I downloaded it and recorded 2 identical longplay videos (1 hour 55 minutes of footage) using Lagarith and the TSCC codec (set to best compression).

You're absolutely right - the TSCC compression was over twice as efficient with no apparent degradation in quality:

Lagarith: 10.4 GB
TSCC: 5.2 GB
Old 09 September 2017, 14:25   #37
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al82 View Post
The codec appears to be available here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...ture_codec.htm
Guess this is the 30 days trial version?

Quote:
I downloaded it and recorded 2 identical longplay videos (1 hour 55 minutes of footage) using Lagarith and the TSCC codec (set to best compression).

You're absolutely right - the TSCC compression was over twice as efficient with no apparent degradation in quality:

Lagarith: 10.4 GB
TSCC: 5.2 GB
Thanks for testing and confirm. I got 8 times smaller files by using TSCC. But need do more tests with games that uses scrolling. I actually upload all my videos in loseless/TSCC for best results. I will also later offer my longplays in lossless for download once my new website is done

Quote:
If you want an idea of the output quality: https://www.youtube.com/user/kkbigal/videos
Good videos! - You are one of the few people on YouTube that can record Amiga Longplays properly (50 fps/cropping/centered etc..)
Old 09 September 2017, 14:45   #38
Al82

Quote:
Guess this is the 30 days trial version?
Doesn't seem to indicate whether it is or isn't - the file appears to be dated from 2012. I guess I'll find out in a month

Thanks for the comment about the videos - it was watching your videos (and World of Longplays) that got me into doing them in the first place

In fact, I'd like to ask you about your recording process for your Amiga videos. I'll send you a PM if you don't mind?
Old 09 September 2017, 15:22   #39
hipoonios
Amiga Hardcore Gamer

Well,

I plan to write a detailed tutorial on how to make longplays like a PRO! But I'd rather wait until the new Amiga longplay site is finished. Not that you need a PRO guide because you are already PRO enough

I have many new ideas for a new Amiga Longplay site and can now encode my files much smaller than the method we used for Recorded Amiga Games (..and the one they still using on World of Longplays).

The new website will be a bit different than Recorded Amiga Games. The biggest difference will be that there will be no official YouTube account. Instead we will let people have the videos on their own channels. So we will link to these videos from the site (..of course they need to encode a download version for the site). We think this will make people more motivated to make longplays because they will get more views on their videos (+more subscribers).

Do not watch the World of Longplays videos. Now there's only 1-2 people that submits Amiga videos and all these videos are just re-uploads from their own channels. Ironclaw is the one who records most of these longplays. But you can watch them on his own channel 6-8 months earlier on his own channel
Old 12 September 2017, 17:09   #40
Foebane

Quote:
Tried it, ran into problems, and I've given up.
It looks like I was wrong. When I ran into problems with running the AVI encoder, it was with a demo that had worked before, but it turns out the demo fails under 3.5.0 - the demo is "Hotstyle Takeover" by Loonies, and it crashes early on in the second half when before it didn't.

In any case, I've found a better way of recording Amiga demos, externally:

OBS Studio

You have to download it and the CoreAudio drivers by Apple to encode better quality audio, but it can produce smoother, better results with no changes to configs or anything. I've also tried it with other emulators and they work fine.