English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.TOSEC (amiga only)

Old 22 May 2016, 22:46   #21
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
So I am glad, that I am not responsible anymore for Games section.
...ok so who is responsible then; CrashDisk?

Again; why is "Another World (1995)(Delphine - U.S. Gold)[compilation Delphine Collection].adf" in TOSEC then???

...also, surely any games that don't have "[cr]" must have been straight copies from originals. You guys will have to remove a lot of them then judging from your ethos.
Old 22 May 2016, 22:50   #22
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yep. Since the Delphine compilation is in SPS too.
Old 22 May 2016, 23:00   #23
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

Again; why is "Another World (1995)(Delphine - U.S. Gold)[compilation Delphine Collection].adf" in TOSEC then???

...also surely any games that don't have "[cr]" must have been straight copies from originals. You guys will have to remove them also judging from your ethos.
This arguments are not valid, 99% of ADF images were in TOSEC before same IPF images.
Old 22 May 2016, 23:10   #24
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

But you do see that it's quite pointless to argument in that direction? No matter if the point of view is the TOSEC rules or the practical benefit. Wouldn't it be easier to say "No", and then spare us the (shady) reason?
Old 22 May 2016, 23:12   #25
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
This arguments are not valid, 99% of ADF images were in TOSEC before same IPF images.
Ok, so I repeat one of the questions that you chose to ignore...

How are real Amiga users supposed to use .IPF files? These .ADFs are the only way that they will be able to play a bug free / non translated version of Flashback.

Trust me; I play tested loads of versions in TOSEC for many hours and all that I tried are not 100%. It was just after exhausting everything else that I discovered that this .IPF could be copied successfully (which is very rare) and to top it off I play tested the created .ADFs to verify all was 100%...

Last edited by DamienD; 22 May 2016 at 23:21.
Old 22 May 2016, 23:29   #26
mai

Quote:
Ok, so I repeat one of the questions that you chose to ignore...

How are real Amiga users supposed to use .IPF files? These .ADFs are the only way that they will be able to play a bug free / non translated version of Flashback.

Trust me; I play tested loads of versions in TOSEC for many hours and all that I tried are not 100%. It was just after exhausting everything else that I discovered that this .IPF could be copied successfully (which is very rare) and to top it off I play tested the created .ADFs to verify all was 100%...
Not that much to say, the answer is by yourself, convert IPF to ADF, copy to real Amiga and create Floppy Disks.
And there is also Gamebase as Source for ADFs.
and by the way, yes Crashdisk is responsible for Games section
Old 22 May 2016, 23:33   #27
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Stingray puts a crackintro on it. Then TOSEC is interested.
Old 22 May 2016, 23:38   #28
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Stingray puts a crackintro on it. Then TOSEC is interested.
Yeah, this is funny, a crackintro for a non protected Version!
Old 22 May 2016, 23:39   #29
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Yep, just as funny as database gazillions of broken, overdumped, hacked or whatever useless images in TOSEC.
Old 22 May 2016, 23:40   #30
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
And there is also Gamebase as Source for ADFs.
...and what set of files do you think Gamebase Amiga uses???

Don't answer I can tell you... The exact same one that I created from .IPFs after exhausting all other options

Belgarath followed the original thread "Fixing Flashback versions.. Ongoing..." until a solution was found. Wish you guys would have actually done the same thing as then a lot of Flashback files in TOSEC would actually be marked with [B] following my many hours of play testing... This still hasn't happened after 10 years and it took this thread to bring it up

...and so what's the point of people trying to contribute if you don't acknowledge / accept when they give you proof of good / bad files

Last edited by DamienD; 22 May 2016 at 23:46.
Old 23 May 2016, 00:00   #31
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

There's another good reason to label the 100% version and keep it in the TOSEC ADF set. Many IPFs have manual protection somewhere (eg. Arabian Nights), whereas you know the ADF version is going to be cracked or at least have no protection.
Old 23 May 2016, 09:19   #32
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

TOSEC was never about picking and choosing what files should be included or not, that's why there are so many alts, hacks and god knows what else there is in there. It was about cataloguing people's collections of files so they knew what they had.

Basically if it exists it should be in the TOSEC db whether you want it to or not so that someone else who has the same file can tell what copy they have.

The only real exception is newly created adfs which get replaced by better ones (i.e. DamienD's recent hdf>adf) as long as they haven't really spread.

The 100% working adfs of Flashback should of course have been put into TOSEC a long time ago simply because they have been widely distributed.

But who's working on the amiga game adfs? Just crashdisk? Because it's a hell of a lot of work and it was probably just overlooked.
Old 24 May 2016, 01:29   #33
demoniac

Quote:
X
I don't think you've played mine.
Old 24 May 2016, 10:30   #34
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoniac View Post
I don't think you've played mine.
Which one's yours demoniac; is it not mentioned somewhere in the original thread?

Anyway; I'm happy with this "Delphine Collection" set. Don't know if I can bring myself to play through another version again for a while
Old 24 May 2016, 20:52   #35
demoniac

Quote:
Which one's yours demoniac; is it not mentioned somewhere in the original thread?
Nope, but I contacted you via PM when you announced the IPF -> ADF images. Yep just located the PM, I'll forward it to you.

You could always replay it in hard mode. It should be on the EAB FTP.
Old 24 May 2016, 23:12   #36
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Nope, but I contacted you via PM when you announced the IPF -> ADF images. Yep just located the PM, I'll forward it to you.

You could always replay it in hard mode. It should be on the EAB FTP.
I read your PM my friend and there's nothing about Flashback in it... only FM-Towns stuff that we were heavily into at the time

Anyway; I'm quite happy with the .IPF --> .ADF solution and I've play tested to make sure that the copy was 100% without any issues

Please feel free to test the version you created if you so want to and post if 100% and no bugs etc... Maybe then the TOSEC guys will actually include your set (well they probably will anyway even if it isn't 100% since it wasn't copied from .IPFs)
Old 26 May 2016, 04:54   #37
demoniac

Quote:
I read your PM my friend and there's nothing about Flashback in it... only FM-Towns stuff that we were heavily into at the time
Since you have publicly replied about my PM's contents, I am compelled to respond you here in additional to your PM that I just responded to. Yes, the content is about FM-TOWNs, but the subject title was about FlashBack. We had a limit with much smaller count of PMs, so I deleted your earlier ones since I felt they were no longer important. You could've have searched your PM for that title if you were curious.

Quote:
Please feel free to test the version you created if you so want to and post if 100% and no bugs etc... Maybe then the TOSEC guys will actually include your set (well they probably will anyway even if it isn't 100% since it wasn't copied from .IPFs)
I always test my versions. According to my notes I believe I tested it on easy from beginning to the end. I also remembered playing with the other difficulties as well, so I probably only tested the known protected spots and not played them completely. Matter-of-fact, if you looked at the original thread, I actually examined the other releases as well. My version is already out there on the FTP for anyone to grab. BTW, there are some differences like disk swapping between the budget version than the original UK release.

Last edited by demoniac; 26 May 2016 at 07:52.
Old 26 May 2016, 10:24   #38
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Since you have publicly replied about my PM's contents, I am compelled to respond you here in additional to your PM that I just responded to. Yes, the content is about FM-TOWNs, but the subject title was about FlashBack. We had a limit with much smaller count of PMs, so I deleted your earlier ones since I felt they were no longer important. You could've have searched your PM for that title if you were curious.
I mentioned one word from our PM / conversation; "FM-Towns". Sorry if that caused you offence; it wasn't intended...

Searching my PMs for that title; that was many moons ago. I too no longer have those old PMs...

Quote:
I always test my versions. According to my notes I believe I tested it on easy from beginning to the end. I also remembered playing with the other difficulties as well, so I probably only tested the known protected spots and not played them completely.
I'm sure you do my friend and that it works 100%; my sarcastic comments were directed towards the TOSEC guys. No personal reflection on you or your version etc...

What I was saying is that I haven't seen / tested your version... but if you have then all good

It doesn't have to be me that tests all versions of Flashback; anyone can... Submit it to TOSEC then

Quote:
Matter-of-fact, if you looked at the original thread, I actually examined the other releases as well. My version is already out there on the FTP for anyone to grab.
Yes, I know that you helped a lot with this back in 2006; hence why I mentioned you here: http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1089955&postcount=4

Quote:
BTW, there are some differences like disk swapping between the budget version than the original UK release.
Agreed, see my post about it back in 2006

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=247575&postcount=88

Last edited by DamienD; 26 May 2016 at 10:48.