English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 May 2013, 02:15   #1
xpd

Internal shielding image reqd

Was recently given an A500, and finally got round to firing it up... worked fine except didnt appear to be getting sound from one channel, noticed the RCA connector on the Amiga was quite loose, so I took the cover off etc to check the soldering on the plug - after all that, turns out it was the speaker on the monitor at fault (duh)... anyway, put it back together,but now get a yellow screen on power up - which normally indicates bad memory expansion.

Now, when I took the system apart to check sound port, I had to remove the shielding over the mainboard etc, and all I can think thats happened is that I havent put it back properly and its made contact with the memroy expansion housing and shorted it

So what im looking for is a close up pic of how the shielding should be sitting near the RAM expansion port - see image for the area I mean.

I dont want to buy another RAM upgrade and have that fry as well

Although, I did put a bit of paper between the RAM expansion and the shielding afterwards, and the machine does boot properly...but suspect less the RAM (havent had time to boot WB to check RAM showing)

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amiga500beforeextramem.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	35441  

Old 23 May 2013, 08:36   #2
ajk

Just leave the shielding off and see if things work then. Many people leave the shielding off completely since it's mostly just in the way.
Old 23 May 2013, 12:31   #3
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

I ran my A500 without shielding for years. I don't know much about RF but I would suspect it was there in the first place to satisfy the American standard of RF emission from a device.
Old 23 May 2013, 15:51   #4
Cymru

Internal shielding image reqd

It is not the RF (radio frequency) interference, I mean who uses radios any longer, but rather the intense ionizing radiation emitted by the krypton- based chips used when Mr. Luther was in charge of Commodore. These were cheaper than the silicon based ones when Jack Tramel ran Commodore-Amiga and resulted in a slight greenish glow from the motherboard.
Old 24 May 2013, 00:56   #5
xpd

Cheers, guess I can do that Or now I think about it, take a pair of tin snips to it and cut it away from there anyway

Old 24 May 2013, 06:00   #6
xpd

Fired it up and yeah, have killed the expansion...damn. 512k and clock gone Now the fun part to track down a replacement over here...

Old 24 May 2013, 08:30   #7
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpd View Post
Fired it up and yeah, have killed the expansion...damn. 512k and clock gone Now the fun part to track down a replacement over here...
Shouldn't be too hard, not a complicated circuit but you need to find someone who has one without the massive battery corrosion you sometimes see on them.

In regard to your tin snipping, hope you've had your tetanus shots because I guarantee you will slice yourself sometime in the future. Just hand the entire shield over to your local scrap metal merchants. Heed the words of a PC assembler and my scarified hands.