English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

View Poll Results: What is the best Turrican game on the Amiga?
Turrican 1 14 10.37%
Turrican 2 94 69.63%
Turrican 3 4 2.96%
All of them 13 9.63%
None of them 10 7.41%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12 May 2001, 21:14   #21
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

Mr nutz

Only played a 500 version, but wasn't too keen on Mr nutz, loads of hype surrounding it, i.e. sonic beater etc etc. It looked great but didn't seem to be that playable, maybe I'll try it again though, see if my opinion has changed. I heard the console versions were better, but I don't know if this was true not. What do you think akira?

To me Kid Chaos seemed a lot better as far as that type of game goes, great music, very very fast and decent enough graphics and yes the all important playability was there too.

Old 12 May 2001, 22:03   #22
Khephren

I'm with PJ on this. I never really liked the Turrican series, although the music is excellent.

I did like platform games...well Manic Miner, Jet Set Willy and Mission Impossible anyway.

Old 12 May 2001, 22:07   #23
Khephren

PC's are great, its just the crap OS that slows games down.

How many GOOD Amiga games were written in C?

For f***s sake C++ is a slow language, that is why the PC needs 1.5 GHz processors and gfx cards that move terrabytes a second to play "decent" games.

Windows is built for C++, running Asm code on Windows would be a Nightmare with a capital N five miles high!

Always believed games programmers on the PC are spoilt because most of the hard work is done for them. Coders are not as highly rated on the PC as they were on the PC. It's all design, graphics and 3D modelling.

True coding is an art!

Old 13 May 2001, 07:29   #24
Amiga1992

Just one thing Khephren: I don't see anybody coding in assembler on LInux It's al stupid C.

Anyway, about Mr. Nutz. The console versions were PICH in my opinion! The Amiga game borrowd heavily from Sonic, the console versions were more mild romps which had nothing to do with the miggy one.

Kid Chaos was astounding technically, but not as fun, IMO. See, you first cited teh technical plus points of the game instead of its playability I liked Mr. Nutz a bit more. It was a bit easy, but I always loved Sonic, and that was as far as I got to Sonic on the Amiga. The game REALLY REALLY borrows too much from Sonic, not that I'm complaining eh?
Old 13 May 2001, 08:33   #25
Khephren

That is a fair point Akira, Asm hasn't taken off for Linux in a major way.

But I think everyone will agree that the vast majority of software runs faster than under Windows. It's just the geekiness of it that stops people using it.

Old 14 May 2001, 13:52   #26
Tim Janssen

Quik & Silva, Kid Chaos and more..

It is possible to run Quik & Silva on your Fellow emulator in DOS. The version I donwloaded from Back 2 the Roots had the tendency to crash. In Fellow you must fiddle with the settings: 500 Kb, no second discdrive and real loading emulation on. Once set, the game should cause no problems.
By the way, Quik & Silva is one of the few emulated Amiga games that runs fine on my P90. -It really is time to upgrade to a new pc.

Kid Chaos is a fine game but way too difficult. If you do not use the game's cheats (type in HARDASNAILS or ARCADEGAMES as pasword) it is very difficult to finish its worlds. World 1, the Magic Garden, is an easy one but the second World is impossible to finish. You see, in the second level in this world you must finish a giant map within a very tight timelimit. I get stuck in some yellow jelly, run out of time or get killed by spikes.
If Magnetic Fields just tested the gameplay a little more it would be a classic. Now it is a bit too difficult.

My copy (crack) of Mister Nutz has the tendency to crash at unexpected moments so I have not played it much. From what I have seen I think the game runs too fast on my Amiga. Once that squirrel is running he is very difficult to control. The game has some very annoying details: There are some stars to be collected throughout the game but they bump on and off the screen. I hate it when I have to run behind some bouncing power-ups. Second, I am not a big fan of these typical Mario-bros gamemaps in which you move from one location to an other.
Old 14 May 2001, 19:22   #27
Amiga1992

Well, I try nothing but Winfellow DOS. I have a P133, you know It's not time to upgrade though! Hehe, I like pushing it to the limit I'll give the game a try then, thanks for the tips!

About Kid Chaos, I agree the gameplay is a bit unbalanced. I sill won't be cheating it Once you memorized what you have to do, the time-limit level gets easier. This demands many plays thru the game, of course.

I haven't tried the copy of Mr. Nutz I dloaded, I only play with the one I have on disks. It runs just fine, no lockups. Yes, the game is FAST, and the inertia is loose, this borrows quite a bit from Sonic (though Sonic's inertia is better balanced). It's a matter of getting used to it. By the way, the stars did not bounce, the Hitpoints did. And it was kind of annoying to loose more hitpoints trying to grab the one you just lost (and the fact that they laugh at you is not funny either. My, how I cursed those sneaky basts!).
However if you learned how to trick'em, it was easy to catch'em. It was just a matter of trying to stay still once you were hit, so they fall from the hitpoint counter right onto your head. Failing this, you had to corner the bastards.

Still, the game was too easy. And the Mario-like map, should have been left out. Not only is shitty to walk around it, but in one of the worlds (can't remember which one, teh purple map methinks), you could get LOST and wander for minutes around it. I hated that!!! Brian the Lion's map was fine. There's another fine platformer!
Old 15 May 2001, 14:05   #28
Tim Janssen

Brian the Lion

P133? Once I played emulated Amiga games on my friend's Pentium 200 but I was not impressed with the screen update. -Especially when it had parallax scrolling. Let's hope my future P4 1,5 Gigahertz can handle emulated Amigas.

Brian the Lion is one of the most difficult platformgames I've ever played. (Hmm, I just discover I use the words "most" and "difficult" very often ).
Once you have completed the Volcano Islands the levels get shorter, number of enemies and traps increase and the game almost becomes impossible to finish. It is a nice game, though. I especially like the level were you fly on the back of a bird and must shoot the enemy-birdmomma. The bonuslevels are also very nicely done.

Although I have never tried next-gen platform games like Rayman 3D, for me nothing beats Turrican. But then again, I am a bit biassed to that ancient game. It was the first game with multidirectional scrolling I had ever seen.
Old 15 May 2001, 19:36   #29
Amiga1992

Who needs decent refresh speeds? I have a frigging Amiga I only use the emus to test the games I download, once. If they are pish, I don't even bother sending' em to the Amiga.

About next-gen platformers... there are not any more 2D platformers anymore. Rayman is what I call a '3D roamabouter', like Mario 64. The gameplay is very different and, to me, they are not games in the same category as the good old 2D platformer, which is, today, quite dead, except for the new incarnations it's getting on the Gameboy Advance (god bless that little machine!).

Rayman on the Jaguar qas quite good though. 2D platformer with raytraced graphics. The Gameboy Advance version will be based on this cool Jaguar ver.

What a coincidence... Turrican 2 was the first game I've seen with multidirectional, copper banding and parallax scrolling. I was amazed by all these technical treats
Old 31 May 2001, 14:17   #30
Tim Janssen

Timex demo

I just remember a demo from a group who call themselves Timex. In this demo you could control the Turrican-sprite. It had the typical Turrican 1 first world backdrops. The sprite lead you to different parts of the demo.
Now what is the name of the demo?
Old 03 June 2001, 21:01   #31
Bloodwych

This midi sounds awesome on my sblive! with 32 meg soundfonts!

Turrican 2 Midi

Right click, save as and Relive the tune!
Old 03 June 2001, 22:19   #32
RCK
Administrator

haha, the funny midi sound
not bad on my monster sound.

Bloodwych, have you ever heard the "official" remix of turrican by Chris Huelsbeck ?
(on his turrican CD soundtrack)
Old 03 June 2001, 22:38   #33
Bloodwych

Never heard the official remix, where can you buy the cd? :hooooo
Old 03 June 2001, 23:02   #34
RCK
Administrator

Starting with the official website of Chris is a good idea
http://www.huelsbeck.com/
Old 05 August 2001, 15:03   #35
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
is it really "Timex" group? i have two demos from timex and none is in turrican style..
Old 07 August 2001, 07:54   #36
Tim Janssen

Cool Turrican Timex Demo

The Timex demo featuring the Turrican sprite was reviewed in magazine CU Amiga in July 1991. The graphics were taken from the first world of Turrican 1. I wish I could scan that article with pictures from the demo. Just wait until I get my new computer...
Old 07 August 2001, 17:57   #37
Drake1009

I voted for the 2nd game in the series. I remember the first long time when I played the game, I had a ½(Or maybe less) level demo of Turrican 2 on my C=64. I can't remember how many times I beat that part of the level. It was just up till right after you kill that dragon thing stuck to the ground (As far as I remember). Still though it wasn't much of a level I kept replaying it again and again, it must've been the demo I've ever spent the most time on. Never saw a finished release of the game. Throughout the playing of the demo I found a good deal of secrets too, one of them turned out to be a small tunnel which led to another part of the level some way behind the dragon thing. It would seem that the demo stopped with a trigger in the level which I thus managed to bypass and there was some more of the level. I don't know if this was intentional or if they had finished the first level, decided to release a demo of it and just didn't want to cut the level down thinking their triggers would keep people from playing on. There were other triggers in the game too though so I never got to the end.

I just remember how awestruck I was at the graphics and the rapid gameplay.

After I got amiga emulation I found the 3 games and tried them out. I had forgotten most about the game (Don't even know how to use the ball like thing you can do to roll around with any longer). I still think the 2nd game is the best of the 3. I don't know if it's because I spent so much time on the demo or if it was because it really had a lot more to offer.

As for the Kid chaos/Mr. Nutz discussion here. I must admit I never really liked Kid chaos, maybe because I didn't play it too much to find out the cool things about it. I really liked the map part of Mr. Nutz which would allow you to get a feeling of going somewhere instead of just romping through levels again and again without knowing how far you've got.
Old 07 August 2001, 19:15   #38
Amiga1992

IMO Kid Chaos was amazing technically, but Mr. Nutz was far more playable and 'Sonic-like;, which is great in my book I didn't likethe map parts as much because you could actually GET LOST in that bloody map of the second (or was it third?) world!
Old 07 August 2001, 22:29   #39
Drake1009

I don't know about getting lost on the second or third world Akira. I didn't play too long and I couldn't find the last level in the first world. And I don't know how to save the game either so I couldn't save and continue later on.
Old 07 August 2001, 22:52   #40
Amiga1992

Heh, told ya, if you got lost on the FIRST map, good luck on teh other worlds.

To save you need to use a Star on the Save teleporter. It's really easy. There is a level where you have to fly to the top to reach the exit, use it to gain a huge number of of gems, thus earning a Star.

Remember, red-flagged levels ar the only ones you need to complete to go to the next world. The last level is somewhere over there, I think you need to hop thru a few teleporters. Will check it out at home.