English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 29 November 2013, 21:07   #1
pottyboy

Non-SPS game spotted on eBay: Formula 1 Masters by ESP

I was browsing eBay this morning, and I found someone selling what looks like a genuine, original and complete copy of the game:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181269724021

This game has yet to be dumped!

Unfortunately the seller hasn't stated what version of the game it is. There are several versions of this game, the latest being 4.0d. I've played versions 4.0 and 4.0d and the difference is that version 4.0 has 1994 teams (minus Aryton Senna and Roland Ratzenburger, who were removed for obvious reasons), whereas version 4.0d has 1995 teams. Pretty big differences there, don't you think

I have the box and manual for version 4 of this game (the version number is on the side of the box), but sadly not the original disk. I picked it up a jumble sale a few years back for about 50p. There were lots of other assorted disks in the box though (originals of DeluxePaint III that came with the A600 and SuperBase 2, pirated copies of PGA Tour Golf and A320 Airbus, and some art disks with not much on them). I've since written an ADF of this game onto a disk, but it had to be a cracked copy as the original disk hasn't been dumped.
Old 03 December 2013, 21:09   #2
pottyboy

I managed to win the auction.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Kryoflux drive to create an IPF image. However, I can use the disk dumping tools if they are still available as I do have access to a "Commodore" A1200 with a 68020. Alternatively I am willing to send this game off to someone with a Kryoflux drive.

But first I need to receive the game from the seller. Let's see how that turns out.
Old 03 December 2013, 21:18   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottyboy View Post
I managed to win the auction.
Nice one!

Quote:
I can use the disk dumping tools if they are still available as I do have access to a "Commodore" A1200 with a 68020.
http://www.caps-project.org/contributor/tools/

CAPSDumpingTools.zip

Quote:
But first I need to receive the game from the seller. Let's see how that turns out.
Good luck!
Old 03 December 2013, 21:45   #4
pottyboy

Cheers prowler! I was a bit skeptical about as to whether the tools were still available seeing as the Kryoflux drive is out.

I just hope that the disk works and hasn't been modified in some way!
Old 03 December 2013, 21:59   #5
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

What version is the one you have just bought? 4.0d?
Old 03 December 2013, 23:20   #6
pottyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
What version is the one you have just bought? 4.0d?
No idea, but comparing my box for version 4 to the one in the picture, the one in the picture has what looks like an extra sticker in the top left corner which could indicate something (it probably says something like "NEW VERSION", though its probably just the price), but i don't know what as the picture itself is a little blurry.

I guess I should've asked the seller. I dont think it matters too much though as no version of this game has been dumped yet, so any version will suffice.
Old 06 December 2013, 17:34   #7
pottyboy

My copy finally arrived today!

It's version 4. The extra sticker in the corner just says that its used.

Just waiting for the SPS guys to get back to me about the test results (I ran the test on my Amiga to see whether my Amiga's internal floppy drive is good enough).
Old 09 December 2013, 16:37   #8
IFW

Nice
Old 09 December 2013, 16:49   #9
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
If you have any trouble with the Disk, I also have this Game in my collection.

Is there a good place a can cross check my games for missing?
Old 09 December 2013, 16:53   #10
klx300r

@ pottyboy

way to go don't remember this game but it'll be cool to check it out
Old 09 December 2013, 18:43   #11
pottyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
If you have any trouble with the Disk, I also have this Game in my collection.

Is there a good place a can cross check my games for missing?
Cool! It's nice to know that someone else also has this game. It's pretty rare. I haven't tried the disk yet as I don't wanna risk altering the disk in any way until it's been preserved (that's if it hasn't been altered anyway).

There is a wanted list over at the SPS website at http://www.softpres.org/wanted. You can also check against their games list at http://www.softpres.org/games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r
@ pottyboy

way to go don't remember this game but it'll be cool to check it out
The game itself is OK if you're into management sims. This one was programmed in AMOS.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting to hear back from the SPS team regarding the test results of my Amiga's floppy drive (I don't yet have access to a Kryoflux device so I'm using the SPS/CAPS tooldisk). Without their confirmation, I still don't know whether my Amiga's floppy drive or good enough, nor do I know what settings to choose when it comes to dumping disks.
Old 10 December 2013, 10:59   #12
IFW

TBH the wanted list mostly contains games that did not turn up for whatever reason, were requested by the authors, or all dumps are bad or modified.
So it's not really a definitive list in any way, more like: "if you see any of these, don't hesitate to get them "
I'd recommend checking the game list and using the search engine on the site to see what is missing.