English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 30 November 2014, 01:22   #1
arkpandora

"Hollywood Poker Pro" intro out of synch with WHDLoad?

Hello!

Could anybody using WHDLoad on a real Amiga confirm that the WHDLoad installation of Hollywood Poker Pro loses the synchronization between the introduction's choregraphy and music, and post his hardware configuration?

They are synchronous if the dance begins on the first bassdrum sound, the first pulse that follows the introductory chords. They are not if the dance clearly begins earlier, probably one or two seconds earlier--just before the last introductory chord.

Many thanks!

Jean

Last edited by arkpandora; 02 December 2014 at 16:59.
Old 30 November 2014, 12:23   #2
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

I have the WHDLoad v1.2 version running here on my A1200+ACA1232 next to my A500 running the game from floppy and they look and behave exactly the same here.
Old 30 November 2014, 20:04   #3
arkpandora

Thank you for your time and testing! (and your "RIP mom" epitaph moves me)

The dance and music are asynchronous on the only real Amiga I could test it on with WHDLoad, an A1200, and on my emulating setup too even if I boot the game from floppy disk images. So they are synchronous only when I boot the game from floppy disks on real Amiga hardware.

Here are two videos where the intro is synchronized as intended by the authors:

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ] (not exactly synchronized but almost)

Here are two videos where the synchronization is lost by some hardware incompatibility:

[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]

Can you confirm that your WHDLoad version behaves like the first and second videos, not the third and fourth?

What causes the music and dance being out of synch is merely a shortening (about 5 seconds instead of about 7) of the introductory part where the reLine logo is on its own on the screen. When the introductory part has the original length, the logo is synchronous with the music as well: it starts moving towards the top of the screen on the first pulse of the third chord. When it is shortened, it begins to move sometime during the second chord. Since synchronization is lost in my E-UAE emulation whatever the hardware configuration I choose and even from floppy disk images, I suppose the introductory part relies on some precise timing.

Any other good soul to help me get a handle of the situation before I file a report on the WHDLoad site?

Hollywood Poker Pro's intro synchronization is important to me, because it is the main reason why I would still be running this game.
Old 30 November 2014, 21:27   #4
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkpandora View Post
Can you confirm that your WHDLoad version behaves like the first and second videos, not the third and fourth?
Yes that's exactly how it behaves on my A500 & A1200.

My A1200 setup:
Rev 1.D4 mobo with timing fixes for ACA, ACA1232 33Mhz, ClassicWB Full v28 and WHDLoad 18.0 beta.
http://www.whdload.de/whdload/

The floppy version I used to compare with on A500 is the World of Wonders crack.
Old 30 November 2014, 21:58   #5
arkpandora

OK, thanks!

Maybe my A1200 needs timing fixes too. I will check on another Amiga when I can.
Old 01 December 2014, 11:15   #6
tekopaa

I had same thing with these options i have had no issues with WHDLOAD. And always unzip/unarch preloaded games at amiga side if u transfer them with CF card. Some games will get DOS ERROR 205 if u unzip them in pc side and copy to CF.

http://aijaa.com/yCxN3V
Old 02 December 2014, 16:38   #7
arkpandora

Thanks for the picture! Unfortunately the tooltype options make no difference here.

I have installed and unarchived everything on the Amiga side, and obviously it is not a file problem, especially since the intro is out of synch in my E-UAE emulation setup as well, even when the game is booted from disk images and whatever the game version may be.
Old 02 December 2014, 17:02   #8
daxb

Here on A1200 040 3.1 (WHDLoad 17.2, slave 1.2) the music starts to reline logo but the dance begins about one second earlier then first bassdrum.
Old 02 December 2014, 17:57   #9
arkpandora

Aha! So you are witnessing the same problem. And if you go on sitting in, you will notice that the dancer's choregraphy remains asynchronous with the music, although her rhythm is still synchronous. For example, when in the original game she spins round at the end of a music phrase (I used to be ecstatic when she does!) then changes step for the beginning of the next phrase, here she does all this prematurely because the intro keeps the same gap between picture and music (here it is 2-3 seconds rather than 1).

Has your A1200's motherboard had timing fixes, or not?

Last edited by arkpandora; 02 December 2014 at 18:08.
Old 02 December 2014, 18:51   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

There is no way motherboard timing fixes (or lack of them) can have anything to do with this problem. MB timing problem = unstable system/complete hang. (due to physical signal timing being out of spec, has glitches, delays etc)
Old 02 December 2014, 23:36   #11
arkpandora

Thanks! I was secretly hoping that an Amiga expert would correct me in passing...