English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 March 2018, 18:00   #1
Z3k

MorphOS 3.10 released

Quoting from the website "The MorphOS development team is proud to announce the immediate availability of MorphOS 3.10, which represents one of the biggest updates in its history yet."
- Release notes
- Hardware compatibility
Old 26 March 2018, 19:23   #2
trixster
Guru Meditating

Brilliant news! Been waiting for this

Shame the powermac 11,2 doesn't appear to be supported yet; the 2.7ghz 7,3 is still the fastest you can use.

Last edited by trixster; 26 March 2018 at 19:35.
Old 28 March 2018, 00:19   #3
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Working insanely well on my iBook G4. Good work MorphOS team!
Old 28 March 2018, 05:50   #4
Pyromania

Great job MorphOS Team!
Old 28 March 2018, 17:31   #5
MikeyG

Thats a very impressive release notes. Lots of updates. Well done to the team.
Sadly I can't run MorphOS as I got a G5 Mac Pro thats slightly too new to be supported but from what I've seen it looks like a very nice OS
Old 28 March 2018, 18:11   #6
Locutus

I did come across my Pegasos II board a while ago.....do i have the energy to hassle the setup... i dunno.
Old 28 March 2018, 18:24   #7
Amiga1992

Do you need to install to the hard drive if you just want to trial this out? I don't want to do that.
In case install is needed, can it be installed on an external drive/USB stick (on an iBook G4)?
Old 28 March 2018, 19:00   #8
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Do you need to install to the hard drive if you just want to trial this out? I don't want to do that.
In case install is needed, can it be installed on an external drive/USB stick (on an iBook G4)?
If it's the same as 3.9 then you can burn it to CD and run the trial from there, so no HD installation required.

http://www.morphos.de/installation

iBook & PowerBook:

Turn on the PowerBook.
In order to eject a previously inserted disc from your optical drive, press and hold your left mouse button during the reboot or power on process.
Insert the MorphOS CD immediately while holding the 'C' key.
If the notebook does not boot MorphOS or it has already booted another operating system, reboot and press and hold the 'C' key immediately after the welcome chime. Alternatively you can press and hold the Alt key to get to the Powerbook's boot menu.
MorphOS will now start booting. Once it is done booting, follow the on screen
instructions.
Old 28 March 2018, 19:33   #9
Amiga1992

So I guess installing to an external USB drive is not possible? I don't think this machine boots off USB, only Firewire.
Old 28 March 2018, 20:21   #10
Locutus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
If it's the same as 3.9 then you can burn it to CD and run the trial from there, so no HD installation required.
Yeah, and thats the annoying part...optical drives.

Its been so long ago i've had any such a thing in the house.
Old 29 March 2018, 14:22   #11
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
So I guess installing to an external USB drive is not possible? I don't think this machine boots off USB, only Firewire.
You'd have to ask on the morphos forum. My G5 has a cdrom so that's the only method i've used.
Old 29 March 2018, 14:34   #12
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Any screenshots available? =)
Old 29 March 2018, 14:41   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

It would be nice to have it emulation MorphOS on WinUAE
Old 29 March 2018, 16:39   #14
jPV

Quote:
You can use the installation CD/ISO as a live-CD. Without registration it slows down after half an hour, but you can reboot it to make it fast again. Also, if you register the OS, and still want to play around from a CD, there's a program to inject your keyfile into the ISO image to make it work unlimited time

You can also boot the installation ISO image from a USB stick, it'll be much faster to boot and use then. Here is a guide how to achieve it:
http://www.morphos.de/guide/usb-boot

Basically it works like this: you have a boot.img file and the ISO image on a FAT formatted USB stick, and then use Open Firmware prompt to boot from it.

It is also possible to make an installed system to a USB stick by using correct partitioning scheme, with boot files and installed system files on correctly formatted partitions, and then boot it from Open Firmware, or even from the Apple bootmenu (depending of your setup). But this needs some knowledge how to set it all up.
Old 29 March 2018, 17:00   #15
Amiga1992

Yeah I know about trying to boot from OF but that's a pain in the ass every damn time you want to boot. NONE of the G4/G5 PPC Macs boot directly from USB as far as I know, maybe some of the newest G5s do, but definitely not the one I have either, you have to do the OF shit every-single-time

I went through this pain trying to boot an OSX image off USB because my G5 has a single-layer DVD only. I never even managed I gave up after months, not interested in doing it again.

How about partitioning a drive in two? Is that possible?
I just want to know if I can use both on one machine, there's no way I am commiting a Mac to a niche OS like this.

With that said, I'll try your link! Do not fancy booting a system off CD to test. Thanks!
But as a permanent "solution", it's not good.

[edit] thanks jPV! That booted! Pain in the ass but booted!

Gave it a quick look (my iBook's battery is shot so it doesn't last long), and my first impression was that it's not very quick. The fan of the iBook was on all the time, something that doesn't happen with Tiger. Odyssey took FOREVER to load, how is this even useful? Is this any faster if it was installed proper?

It's very weird to be able to do Amiga things on the system, I have to admit, but I cannot see myself being able to use this to justify its price tag :/ I dunno, quick test was not very good, but I definitely will have to try more now that I can boot the demo.

Last edited by Amiga1992; 29 March 2018 at 17:42.
Old 29 March 2018, 18:50   #16
trixster
Guru Meditating

You can partition a drive as many times as you like, I've got three - one for MorphOS (default boot partition), one for Tiger and one for MacOS classic.

MorphOS doesnt seem to handle the fan load well at all, mine stays on full too, but on a G5 2.7ghz the OS is incredibly rapid in all respects, as is Odyssey.
Old 29 March 2018, 19:00   #17
Amiga1992

Would the install method given by the live CD partition the drive without losing teh data on the OSX partition?

I wonder if this has anything to do with it being running off an ISO on a USB stick, but Odyssey takes forever to start, "reading fonts" or something. Didn't really feel speedy but also didn't really do much else, had nothing much to try (gotta install some Amiga apps see how it works)
Old 29 March 2018, 19:21   #18
Locutus

It might be that the first run of Odyssey takes longer as its building a font cache..

(dunno, just a guess)

Also i'd expect USB I/O to be slow and relatively CPU intensive.
Old 29 March 2018, 19:31   #19
Daedalus

Yeah, reading the fonts etc. from CD will be very slow. The installer can't resize partitions, so you can't install it alongside OSX without external help. I used a Linux CD to resize the Mac partition and make space for MorphOS (and Linux), so I have a triple-booting machine - MOS, OSX Tiger and Lubuntu. It's a bit tricky to do but the Linux CD is key as it enables the resizing of partitions.
Old 29 March 2018, 19:49   #20
Amiga1992

Hmmm a load of effort just for a live CD, I think I will put this in the back burner until I get an external FW drive I can boot from and install it there.
Thanks for your input guys.