English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 05 January 2003, 18:58   #1
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Floppy disk Old Amos Written PD Game

It's a bit of a shit game but I've not played this one for a while. It's called Schoolyard Slaughter and it was written using Amos. Can someone upload it to the zone please. Cheers.
Old 05 January 2003, 19:18   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

It's in the Zone, you sick individual!

You need the explode.library to run it.
Old 05 January 2003, 19:41   #3
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
It's in the Zone, you sick individual!

You need the explode.library to run it.

Cheers Cody. I only want it for the controversy.
I'm sure I had this on ADF. I remember this game made the national tv news here in the uk because it was made by someone (a bit twisted) after the events at a School in Dunblane, Scotland. It's amazing something written on the amiga in probably 30 minutes caused so much outrage and controversy.
Old 05 January 2003, 19:48   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I'm pretty sure it was made before Dunblane, but the newspapers will do anything for a story...
Old 06 January 2003, 10:06   #5
LaundroMat

If I were a journalist, and I had known this, then I'd have written that the kids who comitted the Dunblane slaughter were influenced by this sick game! Damn videogames!

By the way, I distinctly remember one of the Columbine killers calling his girlfriend "my amiga", and is the Amiga not that vile so-called computer where ONLY games with names such as Schoolyard Slaughter were played on?! Hah! Who in his right mind can still deny the evilness of computer games! When even a game made so long ago can still be the direct cause of the deaths of millions of innocent school jocks?
Old 10 January 2003, 23:02   #6
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Floppy disk

I tried to make a bootable ADF out of the thing but got an error when it tries to boot up. It has the explode.library and amos.library as well as execute and a load of other libs and C stuff. The disk is bootable and has a startup-sequnce which simply reads "execute Slaughter2". However this error appears when it tries to boot:

EXECUTE: Can't open "T/Command-0-T1"
object already exists
execute failed returncode 10

I could upload the ADF if anyone wants to take a look at it.
Old 11 January 2003, 00:51   #7
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

In the Zone...
Old 11 January 2003, 01:02   #8
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Happy Nice one

Thanks for the upload Twist. I noticed you actually created this adf. Good stuff. I checked out your files and I was probably missing the RAM-Handler stuff in L. Strange how your adf seems to work without both the amos.library and explode.library. Was the game definitely released in 1992 cos I always thought it was released a few years after that? Cheers.
Old 11 January 2003, 10:34   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I remember seeing it posted on BBS's back in 92. Only AMOS Pro stuff needs the amos.library. The explode library is only needed if the executable is crunched (with Imploder). Either my copy wasn't crunched, or I decrunched it before making the disk. When I make disks, I will often decrunch them since there is no need for it in that format in this day and age (the download size is minimal if transferring just the executable). And decrunched loads faster, and the zip compressed adf packs tighter if the file is decrunched, as well.

No idea why the disk you had would launch a second script from the startup-sequence, nor why it would execute T/Command-0-T1; my guess is that it was pulled from a compact, which would explain why it's crunched. The amos.library on the disk was probably used by another game on the compact.
Old 11 January 2003, 14:37   #10
Marcuz

i don't remember the facts about it... yes dunblane sounds somehow familiar. really someone get this particular game in a controversy? it just get me the tought that in these cases the people that may feel themselves offended get more attention than the guy who wrote the game: maybe he really needed psycologic help! maybe not. mmm i'm just wa/ondering... can you tell me the year of the tragedy anyway or some detail on why had a particular fuzz about? particular, i presume by reading above, in respect of the many others. maybe i'm wrong.
Old 11 January 2003, 14:57   #11
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Question

I thought this game was written after Dunblane but if as Twist says it was written in 1992 then it can't have been. It must be a different game I'm thinking of but I can't think which. I definitely remember seeing a PD Amiga game on TV after Dunblane and it upset a lot of people. The Dunblane tragedy happened in March 1996. I've a feeling it may have been this game but it was typical TV/News propaganda type stuff trying to make out this game had been written after Dunblane when it clearly hadn't been. Or maybe it was just the game content they were fuming over.

Last edited by Steve; 11 January 2003 at 15:04.
Old 11 January 2003, 16:40   #12
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Ok Steve, I've just tested the disk you uploaded.
This "version" is badly broken!
(TOSEC: you do me a favor if you do REFRAIN from renaming this "version".)

startup-sequence tries to execute slaughter2, which is complete bullshit, because slaughter2 is an executable!
The 'execute' command is only suitable for scripts, i. e. plain ASCII batch files. Executing 'slaughter2' doesn't work either, though --- you're back into AmigaDOS.
Delete that crappy image.
Old 11 January 2003, 18:07   #13
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Stick out tongue

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Ok Steve, I've just tested the disk you uploaded.
This "version" is badly broken!
(TOSEC: you do me a favor if you do REFRAIN from renaming this "version".)

startup-sequence tries to execute slaughter2, which is complete bullshit, because slaughter2 is an executable!
The 'execute' command is only suitable for scripts, i. e. plain ASCII batch files. Executing 'slaughter2' doesn't work either, though --- you're back into AmigaDOS.
Delete that crappy image.

Ok ok andreas. I'm was the person who created it. I've not made a bootable Amiga ADF for years so I'm a little rusty. I was just wondering why the ADF I created didn't work.
Old 11 January 2003, 18:12   #14
andreas
Zone Friend

Exclamation

Ohhhhh :eek

I AM SORRY.
Didn't want to insult you ... but you DO HAVE to tell such things before!
I'm unable to guess if it was taken from some ancient scene CD or made with your own hands!

X: - "Hmm, so you're the receptionist of this hotel, nice job this is. And who was that monstrous fatso serving the guests at the hotel bar?"
Y: - "That's Brenda, my big sister, and I like her very much. We're a big family running this hotel. Father deals with all the financial stuff."
X: - "Ohhhh, I'M SO SORRRRRYYYYY...."

Last edited by andreas; 11 January 2003 at 18:22.
Old 11 January 2003, 18:16   #15
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by andreas
Ohhhhh :eek

I AM SORRY.
Didn't want to insult you ... but you DO HAVE to tell such things before!
I'm unable to guess if it was taken from some ancient scene CD or made with your own hands!

No need to apologise andreas. :P I'm not offended. But I did mention further up this thread that I'd created a non-working ADF.
Old 11 January 2003, 18:21   #16
andreas
Zone Friend

I missed that post, sorry. :eek