English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 January 2012, 23:29   #1
jimgeneva
jimgeneva

A3000 nightmare

hi:

tried to upgrade my zip ram and blew up my machine buy puttin in one zip backwards and now i am getting the green screen of death did i blow up the
ramsey chip or what? please anyone HELP

JIM
Old 31 January 2012, 15:49   #2
SpeedGeek

It's unlikely that you blew up Ramsey. It's most likely that you blew up the zip chip you installed backwards. So just remove the 4 MB bank of zips you just installed and try it again. If that turns out to be the problem let me know I might have an extra zip chip around here (somewhere?).

Last edited by SpeedGeek; 31 January 2012 at 15:55.
Old 31 January 2012, 18:12   #3
jimgeneva
jimgeneva

thank you for the offer but when i first started i had 8 megs of static column mode and added 4 megs of fast page mode after it gurued untl in the startup boot mode I disabled
the cache after a moth of this I downloaded a program called sysprefs which is supposed to set the caches stuff like put vbr into fastram WHAT A MISTAKE I COULD JUST CRY!
its like I just lost my best friend or wife.
Old 31 January 2012, 18:32   #4
mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgeneva View Post
thank you for the offer but when i first started i had 8 megs of static column mode and added 4 megs of fast page mode after it gurued untl in the startup boot mode I disabled
the cache after a moth of this I downloaded a program called sysprefs which is supposed to set the caches stuff like put vbr into fastram WHAT A MISTAKE I COULD JUST CRY!
I had sent you a email offering to fix the 3000 for the cost of shipping both ways if you sent me the motherboard, like speedy said i don't think it hurt ramsey, i think its a case of a bad zip still in the mix. The offer still stands, and i'm happy to help.

Mech
Old 31 January 2012, 23:54   #5
TTD

Send a message via MSN to TTD
Have you tryed reseat the Agnus chip on your a3000?

Green screen is proparly agnus or chip memory as I remember, but I could remeber wrong
Old 01 February 2012, 00:14   #6
SpeedGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgeneva View Post
Well, one potential problem here is that you are mixing static column and page mode memory. While both types of memory are perfectly usable in an A3000 you can NOT use page mode memory with burst mode enabled. This is a usually a bigger problem with 2.0 ROM's than with 3.x ROM's and the page mode memory should be installed in the first bank. In any case, Setpatch NOCACHE followed by Cpu CACHE NOBURST will usually solve the problem if your A3000 crashes when you boot.

Sounds, like our friend mech has made a generous offer to service your A3000 motherboard if all else fails.
Old 01 February 2012, 00:16   #7
Azryl

You can not mix and match static and page mode ZIPS in an A3000
to run page mode you need to insert a page mode zip into the first memory socket

this will then fool the A3000 into thinking it only has to refresh page mode ram
you do lose about 5% memory preformance

but it is the ONLY way to mix the 2 types of ZIP ram

Az
Old 01 February 2012, 01:00   #8
mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedGeek View Post
Well, one potential problem here is that you are mixing static column and page mode memory. While both types of memory are perfectly usable in an A3000 you can NOT use page mode memory with burst mode enabled. This is a usually a bigger problem with 2.0 ROM's than with 3.x ROM's and the page mode memory should be installed in the first bank. In any case, Setpatch NOCACHE followed by Cpu CACHE NOBURST will usually solve the problem if your A3000 crashes when you boot.

Sounds, like our friend mech has made a generous offer to service your A3000 motherboard if all else fails.
I warned him about not using burst with mixed ram before he purchased the ram from me. It shouldn't be the trouble but sure sounds as if it could be something to do with it.I made the offer to help him out because i am confident there is no hardware damage other than maybe bad ram.

Good advice there speedy.

Mech