English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 March 2018, 23:50   #41
Vousti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Facebook is killing more than just Amiga forums - it's destroying the fabric of society - and what's more the creators of FB knew the problems the platform would bring to society.

Here is a short video of former FB exec Chamath Palihapitiya regretting the moster he helped to create.

[ Show youtube player ]

Here is another proving they knew what they were creating would cause harm.

[ Show youtube player ]

And that's before you even mention the data-mining and private messages/data that is stored away in huge NSA cloud storage sites ready to bring out when the time is right.

Avoid Facebook like the plague!
The fabric is destroyed ages ago. It's not just about social media. People are fucked up.
Old 15 March 2018, 00:32   #42
Dunny

As has been mentioned previously, FB is a nightmare for people like us. I'm a member of a BASIC programming group on FB, because that's what I like, and we constantly have discussions about techniques and algorithms for this and that, with some very very talented people chiming in with really useful info...

but try and find that if you come back in 6 months. No search, so you have to scroll through. And through. And through. And hope you remember which particular thread it was that contained that comment you're trying to find. And then - oh, bugger, there's the damned searchbox. Right, it was in reply to... Oh, hell I can't remember.

I'll keep scrolling, but now the web page it's generated is about 15 miles tall and my browser is starting to strain...

Nope. Usenet was better than FB (better than the forums too) but I'll take a decent forum any day.
Old 15 March 2018, 02:48   #43
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Sure you can get addicted to anything, but "social media" is ENGINEERED for you to get stuck to it, in the same way a cigarette, alcohol or cocaine are.
That's why I only use Facebook while I smoke.
Old 15 March 2018, 07:28   #44
haps
Rumpig

Social media could have been great, but like just about anything, once the brainwashed sheeple got involved, they turned it into a cesspool of inanity.
Old 16 March 2018, 04:30   #45
dragon57

It is funny, and may I say, quite timely, that this observation has been put forth. A couple of other groups I have been involved with have very recently put back up a forum after deciding social media is generally now toxic to them and takes away from what brought them together in the first place.
Old 23 March 2018, 10:48   #46
Marchie

Strangely I hadn't logged-in to FB for years until I found the Amiga group.

EAB is far better for informed/useful advice, but FB is a better format to share those minor victories (like a new acquisition or fixing a broken piece of hardware - things you'd like to share, but not really worth starting a new forum thread about)

There's also the issue of always presenting a 'fake' identity to the world on FB, on EAB I can let down the facade and be my usual billionaire-extreme-sports-legend self...
Old 23 March 2018, 10:59   #47
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
[...] There's also the issue of always presenting a 'fake' identity to the world on FB, on EAB I can let down the facade and be my usual billionaire-extreme-sports-legend self...
!
"billionaire-extreme-sports-legend" friend, we need funds for an Amiga project
Old 23 March 2018, 12:17   #48
aZtOcKdOg

Yeah, I have to agree that since joining various FB groups my forum activity has been almost >NIL (lol)

Even though my post count is low anyway haha :/
Old 23 March 2018, 12:37   #49
Superman

I still log onto all my various forums just like I did before Facebook. It is true though that most of them are pretty dead now unfortunately as most people tend to want answers to questions and so on pretty much instantly. Social media sites provide that facility due to notifications etc. The good thing is that this place by and large is still fairly busy and attracts a pretty big user base.
Old 23 March 2018, 16:03   #50
nexus

https://qz.com/1232362/facebook-stoc...a-disaster-fb/

tbh you should never use such sites ever
Old 23 March 2018, 16:21   #51
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
https://qz.com/1232362/facebook-stoc...a-disaster-fb/

tbh you should never use such sites ever
Yup, entirely my point throughout.
But there's a lot of people that don't care about these things, sadly.
Old 23 March 2018, 16:36   #52
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Yup, entirely my point throughout.
But there's a lot of people that don't care about these things, sadly.
You can't imagine how much people are just not aware of this scandal... It's like if they are living in a "bubble"...
Old 23 March 2018, 16:40   #53
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
You can't imagine how much people are just not aware of this scandal... It's like if they are living in a "bubble"...
Well bubbling people up is the whole deal about these "Social" networks.
But the problem is not exactly people being unaware of these problems, it's more that people are aware but don't care.

It's like whenever online privacy conversation pops up, for example about VPNs, and a lot people are like "I don't care if anyone watches, I have nothing to hide". That attitude is to me impossible to understand, it's totally not about having something to hide, it's about people nosing around your stuff and using it against you and to make profits of which you receive zero.

Imagine someone going into your house without your permission, going through your stuff, taking your photo albums of your kids, sell some off to make money off it, and being fine with that.
Old 23 March 2018, 16:46   #54
Jope
-

These new-fangled webforums killed our good old usenet news.
Old 23 March 2018, 16:49   #55
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Well bubbling people up is the whole deal about these "Social" networks.
But the problem is not exactly people being unaware of these problems, it's more that people are aware but don't care.

It's like whenever online privacy conversation pops up, for example about VPNs, and a lot people are like "I don't care if anyone watches, I have nothing to hide". That attitude is to me impossible to understand, it's totally not about having something to hide, it's about people nosing around your stuff and using it against you and to make profits of which you receive zero.

Imagine someone going into your house without your permission, going through your stuff, taking your photo albums of your kids, sell some off to make money off it, and being fine with that.
You preach a convinced = I share your point of view...
Old 23 March 2018, 17:26   #56
Marcuz

bah, no offense, but everything internet is social, and humans are socials too. only difference, a virtual sociality takes away from the animal part of the nature, "social animal". I don't see all these distinctions you make in whee you choose to spend your time while on internet.

EAB is a better community than many, but still, a virtual social net.
Old 23 March 2018, 17:47   #57
Amiga1992

We're clearly referring to Facebook, Twitter and any other site that uses their "users" as their profiteering asset and bargaining chip, which call themselves "social networks".
Old 23 March 2018, 17:56   #58
Daedalus

Quote:
And that's all fair enough too, provided people are aware of it (and in general they are - they just don't care). The sheer scale of the services I can get these days without costing me any money is incredible. I'm perfectly happy to pay for those services with information that I'm happy to have made public. And that's the way I see the likes of Facebook, Google and the various other similar services. I get a nice, simple way of keeping in touch with friends, family and acquaintances, I get many, many gigabytes of online storage, the most impressive spam filtering I know of, shared "cloud" drives and applications... all without costing me a single penny. Of course such services aren't free to provide, so they have to make their money somewhere. So I'm happy to pay for all this convenience in information that isn't worth anything to me anyway. If I could pay my electricity bill with empty juice cartons, I'd do that too, but alas...

Just think of the old adage, something along the lines of "if you're not paying for something, you're not the customer, you're the product being sold..."

Quote:
But it's not like that. It's the internet, not your own computer. It's closer to you putting your photos on display out in the street for everyone to see in return for some free stuff. Just don't put photos out there or say anything in public that you don't want to be seen or heard in public, and enjoy the free stuff. It's very simple.

Why some people think that an account set up in your name on someone else's computer should be as private as inside your own home I have no idea.
Old 23 March 2018, 18:39   #59
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Just don't put photos out there or say anything in public that you don't want to be seen or heard in public, and enjoy the free stuff. It's very simple.
I understand your point, but FB allows "privacy" to be set to so people can share what they want with who they want so it's not really "public domain".
Regardless of what "privacy" you choose for your stuff, it's still harvested for metadata and sold. You only control what others at the same level as you can see.

If Facebook is the "house" where I only let my friends in (because my profile is "friends only"), there's still this shadow lurking in it, looking at it, analyzing things out to make a profile of me, taking what they need, selling it, or trying to change my mind about cultural issues, and also doing the same to the people that hang out in my "house". Remember that Facebook itself goes on and on to their users about how they "value your privacy" and let you "share what you want with who you want". They are not like "yeah whatever you post here, watch out, we gonna sell it!". Many people don't know better, and this is how the house analogy is valid, even if you or I would never consider it that way.

Read this interview with the main tech guy responsible for the Cambridge Analytica thing, if this guy doesn't make you feel uneasy about this whole thing, I dunno.
Old 23 March 2018, 18:54   #60
Daedalus

But Facebook still isn't the house. It's a table you've booked in a local restaurant. It might be just your friends at the table, but you're still in public, with waiters who can overhear you and see what you're eating. If some people aren't aware of this principle, then honestly that's their own problem - the Facebook terms of service are quite clear about what they do with your information. If you want the sort of privacy you expect at home, don't go to a restaurant; have a LAN party in your actual house instead. Free services on the internet are not for you.

But most people I come across do seem to be aware that that's the fundamental business model Facebook employs - tailored advertising. And how else are they going to do that tailoring, other than by watching everything you do?