English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 13 August 2002, 16:28   #1
DJ SONiKz

Unhappy Newbie to Amiga Gaming

Now I know that this is a daft question, but I got WinUAE workin, with Workbench 3.1 and Kickstart 3.5 (I have tried 3.1 also) with Amiga In A Box installed, but I have trouble getting a lot of the games to work correctly, either the system crashes or the game just does not run all together. I have worked out that many of the cracked games run a startup script but is there anyway to run it under workbench itself, and is there any unusual settings I need to look at? Is there a way that the gamez will run from an emulated harddrive?

A few gamez I have had problems with are: Battle Isle, Flashback, Operation Stealth, Another World and a few others, I am however happy to say that I have had Inidana Jones and Monkey Island 1 & 2 running quite well, everything else however I am unsure about.

Can someone help

Old 13 August 2002, 16:41   #2
Drake1009

Well I believe that Battle isle is a fairly old game and would require a Kickstart 1.3

Flashback should be hard disk installable or runnable from disk in Workbench.

Another world is another game I'd suggest trying out with a Kickstart 1.3 configuration.

The 3.1 rom is one of the newer roms found for example in the A1200 (I think), there were some incompatibility between the older ones and the newer ones. It's also important to note that the amount of memory setup and the graphics chip chosen could have a large impact on what games run. And lastly the processor emulated. OCS, 1 MB chip ram, 68000 processor and kickstart 1.3 is a fairly good setup to run older games on, though some games won't run with 1 MB but will need you to lower it to a half.

My suggestion would be to make a couple of standard settings, if you have problems getting 1 particular game running then when you finally get it running save the configuration to a special file.
Old 13 August 2002, 17:11   #3
Paul
RIP Friends

I would delete that Kickstart 3.5 ROM as its a fake and can also cause problems. You should use Kickstart 3.1.

See...
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...=kickstart+3.5
Old 13 August 2002, 17:22   #4
DJ SONiKz

Does Kickstart 1.3 support a Harddrive aaaannnddd..... Is there anywhere where I can get a copy of Workbench which is higher that 3.1......

Also, is there some disk tools to correct errors on the ADF's I download?

I tell ya I am a total newbie, I was a C64 lad when I was younger and went straight to a 386....

Any other Amiga/WinUAE advice?

Old 13 August 2002, 17:28   #5
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ SONiKz
Does Kickstart 1.3 support a Harddrive

Yes but only supports Workbench 1.3 and is harder to setup.

I would stick with Workbench 3.1 and use http://www.whdload.de
Old 13 August 2002, 17:30   #6
Paul
RIP Friends

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ SONiKz
Is there anywhere where I can get a copy of Workbench which is higher that 3.1......
You can buy Workbench 3.5 from...

http://www.amiga.com/3.5/

You can buy Workbench 3.9 from...

http://www.amiga.com/3.9/
Old 14 August 2002, 09:59   #7
alkis21
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to alkis21
For the games you mentioned, you should definetely get kickstart 1.3. Have two different configurations, one for the hard disk (3.1) and one for floppies with 1.3. I have some configurations suggestions if you would like to take a look at them at my homepage (http://alkis.issmart.com)