English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 25 October 2010, 18:14   #161
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
And i haven't believed you multiples times, too
As i don't find them hard to get right at all, this still looks like nice excuse to me. However, as i said, this is not really important, so why insisting ?
Well, it is for a simple reason, and you've showed it here: You don't believe me, or see it as an excuse, because you don't find them hard to get right.

The problem here is that bad multiplication constants can still produce reasonable looking results. There's actually quite some math theory behind those multiply constants, so I'd be careful with them if I were you. This is also the reason why I'm simply using existing generators that use multiplies, and also use the constants they advise. Much safer than experimenting.

This in turn leads to my whole logical operator based PRNG experiments. I simply thought they were easier to get right, but as it turns out, PRNGs aren't easy to get right without proper math theory.

So it's not about insisting, but more about showing why I find multiplies hard to get right (although in the beginning I avoided them for speed reasons ).
Quote:
What you're doing here is basically waiting for the HW values to change before using them. But to change as compared to what ? At program startup, your "dif" area will be blank, so you will not get any positive effect unless you're filling a large state - which, ok, is perhaps your intent.
The initial state should actually be read from the hardware, but I haven't implemented it yet.

As for it's usage: The idea is to extract a small table of, say, 1024 bytes (initial zero state doesn't matter much now), and use those values for seeding or generating random values. For seeding it's probably a good idea to pre-process the data first.

Edit: Here's an interesting page (text!) about hash functions and block ciphers: http://burtleburtle.net/bob/hash/index.html

Last edited by Thorham; 26 October 2010 at 20:19.
Old 26 October 2010, 17:54   #162
Thorham
Computer Nerd

I accidentally posted the wrong version of my entropy extractor (test version) It basically writes out which bits changed rather than the actual bits that changed. Big difference. Here's the right routine:
Code:
;------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;Test code.
start
	lea	out,a0
	move.l	#1024*64,d0
	bsr.w	rng.extract_entropy

rts
;
; extract_entropy
;
; Extracts entropy from the Amigas hardware state. The extraction is bit
; difference based: The routine starts with a hardware state buffer filled
; with zeros. The routine then reads the hardware registers, reads the state,
; writes the registers to the state and then XORs the registers with the state.
; Each byte that isn't zero is now written to a table.
;
; The state is always overwritten completely. There is no state mixing. This
; means the difference between the current state and the previous state is the
; data you get, and only those values that changed.
;
; The idea behind this is that because there is a lot of redundant information in
; the hardware state, that it's better to use only the bits that change from state
; read to state read, while discarding what doesn't change.
;
;in	d0=seed size in long words.
;
rng.extract_entropy
	movem.l	d0-a6,-(sp)
	move.l	d0,d6

lea	out,a3

moveq	#0,d0
	moveq	#0,d1

.loop
	lea	regs_cia,a0
	lea	regs_chip,a1
	lea	dif,a4

moveq	#5,d7
.loopr
	move.l	(a0)+,a2
	move.b	(a2),d0
	move.l	(a1)+,a2
	move.w	(a2),d1
	move.l	d1,d2
	lsr.l	#8,d2

move.b	(a4),d3
	move.b	d0,(a4)+
	move.b	(a4),d4
	move.b	d1,(a4)+
	move.b	(a4),d5
	move.b	d2,(a4)+

eor.b	d0,d3
	beq.b	.l1
	and.b	d3,d0
	move.b	d0,(a3)+
	subq.l	#1,d6
.l1
	eor.b	d1,d4
	beq.b	.l2
	and.b	d4,d1
	move.b	d1,(a3)+
	subq.l	#1,d6
.l2
	eor.b	d2,d5
	beq.b	.l3
	and.b	d5,d2
	move.b	d2,(a3)+
	subq.l	#1,d6
.l3
	tst.l	d6
	blt.b	.exit

.next_regs
	dbra	d7,.loopr
.next
	bra.b	.loop

.exit
	movem.l	(sp)+,d0-a6
	rts

regs_cia
	dc.l	$bfd800,$bfd900,$bfe601,$bfe701,$bfe801,$bfec01
regs_chip
	dc.l	$dff000,$dff004,$dff006,$dff008,$dff00e,$dff014
;Used by the test code.
	section	data,data_f
dif
	dcb.l	1024
out
	dcb.l	1024*1024
leftover
	dcb.b	1024
Old 27 October 2010, 05:27   #163
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

You could always go to random.org, grab a few hundred/thousand values, choose a starting position, read a bunch of those out in a loop and every so often reset the position to somewhere else in the table!
Old 27 October 2010, 20:01   #164
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
You could always go to random.org, grab a few hundred/thousand values, choose a starting position, read a bunch of those out in a loop and every so often reset the position to somewhere else in the table!
The problem with that is that you end up with an extremely short period, and changing the starting position doesn't get rid of this problem However, such data might be useful for making s-boxes.

Extracting entropy available on the machine is both easy and effective, and a whole randomness oriented library is also not difficult to write, pretty short, and very effective, too, especially when combined with entropy extraction
Old 28 October 2010, 09:21   #165
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Well, it is for a simple reason, and you've showed it here: You don't believe me, or see it as an excuse, because you don't find them hard to get right.

The problem here is that bad multiplication constants can still produce reasonable looking results. There's actually quite some math theory behind those multiply constants, so I'd be careful with them if I were you. This is also the reason why I'm simply using existing generators that use multiplies, and also use the constants they advise. Much safer than experimenting.

This in turn leads to my whole logical operator based PRNG experiments. I simply thought they were easier to get right, but as it turns out, PRNGs aren't easy to get right without proper math theory.

So it's not about insisting, but more about showing why I find multiplies hard to get right (although in the beginning I avoided them for speed reasons ).
But multiplies aren't harder to get right. It's just that about everything here is hard to get right, and your experiences with your logical operators should have told you that, haven't they ?

Quote:
The initial state should actually be read from the hardware, but I haven't implemented it yet.

As for it's usage: The idea is to extract a small table of, say, 1024 bytes (initial zero state doesn't matter much now), and use those values for seeding or generating random values. For seeding it's probably a good idea to pre-process the data first.
You appear to be seeding a seeder. I don't think this extra indirection brings anything useful.
Old 28 October 2010, 18:24   #166
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
But multiplies aren't harder to get right. It's just that about everything here is hard to get right, and your experiences with your logical operators should have told you that, haven't they ?
Indeed, they're just as hard to get right as any other PRNG, I just didn't know that
Quote:
You appear to be seeding a seeder. I don't think this extra indirection brings anything useful.
Not necessarily. The data that's extracted isn't ideal, and it's a good idea to extract more data than the RNG's seed is long, and mix this data into something the size of the seed. If you've looked at the output of the extractor, you'll see that this is probably not a bad idea.

The reason is simply that the Amiga's hardware state isn't exactly rich in entropy, and you can't get every possible value if you extract the exact number of bytes that your PRNG's seed is long each time.

In my opinion, this process of extracting more entropy and mixing it up into a smaller size is a necessity.
Old 29 October 2010, 20:25   #167
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Here's the improved version of my state extractor. It now only writes out the state bits that have changed. The previous routine outputted the changed bits on a per byte basis. The problem with that was that there was still quite some redundant information in the data, and what's worse is that the spectral test showed a lot of correlation.

When outputting only the bits that changed, the 2D spectral correlation has gone away, and a simple plot looks amazingly random. This routine is much better than the previous one, but it's also a lot slower. However, with this routine you don't have to extract a lot of data to be able to generate good seeds.

Note that this one still starts with an empty previous state table. It was more important to get the code to work properly. Now that it does, I'll change this

Check it out:
Code:
;Test code.
start
	lea	out,a0
	move.l	#1024,d0

rts
;
; extract_entropy
;
; Extracts entropy from the Amiga's hardware state. Only those bits that have
; changed since the previous state read are written out.
;
; The idea behind this is that because there is a lot of redundant information in
; the hardware state, that it's better to use only the bits that change from state
; read to state read, while discarding what doesn't change.
;
;
rng.extract_entropy
	movem.l	d0-a6,-(sp)
	move.l	d0,a6

lea	out,a3

moveq	#32,d6

.loop
	lea	regs,a0
	lea	dif,a4

moveq	#6*3-1,d7

.loop_regs
	move.l	(a0)+,a2
	move.b	(a2),d0
	move.b	(a4),d1
	move.b	d0,(a4)+

eor.b	d0,d1

moveq	#1,d3

moveq	#7,d5

.loop_bits
	move.b	d1,d2
	and.b	d3,d2
	beq	.l1

move.b	d0,d2
	and.b	d3,d2

add.l	d4,d4
	or.b	d2,d4

subq.l	#1,d6
	bne	.l1

move.l	d4,(a3)+
	moveq	#32,d6

subq.l	#1,a6
	tst.l	a6
	beq	.exit

.l1
	add.l	d3,d3

.next_bits
	dbra	d5,.loop_bits

.next_regs
	dbra	d7,.loop_regs

.next
	bra	.loop

.exit
	movem.l	(sp)+,d0-a6
	rts

regs
	dc.l	$bfd800,$bfd900,$bfe601,$bfe701,$bfe801,$bfec01
	dc.l	$dff000,$dff004,$dff006,$dff008,$dff00e,$dff014
	dc.l	$dff001,$dff005,$dff007,$dff009,$dff00f,$dff015
;Used by the test code.
	section	data,data_f
dif
	dcb.l	1024
out
	dcb.l	1024*1024
leftover
	dcb.b	1024

Last edited by Thorham; 30 October 2010 at 15:07.
Old 01 November 2010, 08:38   #168
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Not necessarily. The data that's extracted isn't ideal, and it's a good idea to extract more data than the RNG's seed is long, and mix this data into something the size of the seed. If you've looked at the output of the extractor, you'll see that this is probably not a bad idea.

The reason is simply that the Amiga's hardware state isn't exactly rich in entropy, and you can't get every possible value if you extract the exact number of bytes that your PRNG's seed is long each time.

In my opinion, this process of extracting more entropy and mixing it up into a smaller size is a necessity.
Well, ok then.

Quote:
Here's the improved version of my state extractor. It now only writes out the state bits that have changed. The previous routine outputted the changed bits on a per byte basis. The problem with that was that there was still quite some redundant information in the data, and what's worse is that the spectral test showed a lot of correlation.

When outputting only the bits that changed, the 2D spectral correlation has gone away, and a simple plot looks amazingly random. This routine is much better than the previous one, but it's also a lot slower. However, with this routine you don't have to extract a lot of data to be able to generate good seeds.

Note that this one still starts with an empty previous state table. It was more important to get the code to work properly. Now that it does, I'll change this
I see you are using addresses not exactly random. DFF00E isn't really ; DFF014 counts same as DFF015. DFF000 gets last value left on the bus and is bad random, too.
And DFF004/DFF008 don't seem to be exactly random either.
Old 01 November 2010, 17:59   #169
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
I see you are using addresses not exactly random.
DFF00E isn't really ; DFF014 counts same as DFF015. DFF000 gets last value left on the bus and is bad random, too.
And DFF004/DFF008 don't seem to be exactly random either.
Yep, it's true. It's because I was reading 16 bits at a time from the custom chip registers. Now that I'm reading them as bytes, some of the values are useless. I've completely forgotten about it Thanks for pointing it out

However, DFF000 and DFF008 seem to be fine values to me. If they're not, explain why please.

Anyway, what do you think? Good? Bad? Tell me And suggestions are welcome, too. Also, do you have anything new?

Edit: Here's a nice page about cryptography, which has a whole book in downloadable chapters (PDF): http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/hac/ Might be interesting

Edit2: Checked DFF000.w and DFF008.w and they're interesting, but problematic and don't seem to add much. I could be wrong, but after removing them from the register table, the distribution of the random bits improved. It's now about 88 out of 256. Should be 128 out of 256, of course, but it's certainly better. Sadly I still have to extract four times the seed length, and then XOR the four tables (so to speak) into one

Last edited by Thorham; 02 November 2010 at 23:47.
Old 03 November 2010, 16:21   #170
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Okay, here's the corrected version of my seeder. What I did wrong was based on premature optimization As Donald Knuth puts it: 'Premature optimization is the root of all evil'.

I was shifting the AND mask in D3 to the left for each iteration in the bits loop (.loop_bits) and than ORing the data into the accumulation register D4. Wrong

Now it simply gets bit 0 and shifts the difference reg and the data reg instead. Man, what a dumb mistake

Anyway, the advantage is that the distribution is now about 50/50, and that no bit mixing of any kind is needed anymore. Hurray

If you spot any more silly mistakes let me know
Code:
;Test code.
start
	lea	out,a0
	bsr	rng.init_state
	move.l	#1024*8,d0

rts
;
; rng.init state
;
; Initializes the state table.
;
rng.init_state
	movem.l	d0-a6,-(sp)

lea	regs,a0
	lea	dif,a4

moveq	#11-1,d7

.loop
	move.l	(a0)+,a2
	move.b	(a2),d0
	move.b	d0,(a4)+

.next
	dbra	d7,.loop

movem.l	(sp)+,d0-a6
	rts
;
; rng.extract_entropy
;
; Extracts entropy from the Amigas hardware state. The routine writes out the
; bits that changed from state read to state read.
;
;
rng.extract_entropy
	movem.l	d0-a6,-(sp)
	move.l	d0,a6

lea	out,a3

moveq	#32,d6

.loop
	lea	regs,a0
	lea	dif,a4

moveq	#1,d3

moveq	#11-1,d7

.loop_regs
	move.l	(a0)+,a2
	move.b	(a2),d0
 	move.b	(a4),d1
	move.b	d0,(a4)+

eor.b	d0,d1
	beq	.next_regs

moveq	#7,d5

.loop_bits
	move.b	d1,d2
	and.b	d3,d2
	beq	.l1

move.b	d0,d2
	and.b	d3,d2

add.l	d4,d4
	or.b	d2,d4

subq.l	#1,d6
	bne	.l1

move.l	d4,(a3)+
	moveq	#32,d6

subq.l	#1,a6
	tst.l	a6
	beq	.exit

.l1
	lsr.l	#1,d0
	lsr.l	#1,d1

.next_bits
	dbra	d5,.loop_bits

.next_regs
	dbra	d7,.loop_regs

.next
	bra	.loop

.exit

movem.l	(sp)+,d0-a6
	rts

regs
	dc.l	$bfd800,$bfd900,$dff006
	dc.l	$bfe601,$dff014,$bfe701,$dff005
	dc.l	$bfe801,$dff007,$bfec01,$dff00f
;Used by the test code.
	section	data,data_f
counter
	dc.l	0
dif
	dcb.l	1024
out
	dcb.l	1024*1024
leftover
	dcb.b	1024
Old 04 November 2010, 12:10   #171
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
However, DFF000 and DFF008 seem to be fine values to me. If they're not, explain why please.
DFF000 (BLTDDAT) and DFF008 (DSKDATR) are dummy addresses which hold nothing meaningful. When you read them, you just get last value left on the memory bus, and this is not what i would call random.

Quote:
Anyway, what do you think? Good? Bad? Tell me And suggestions are welcome, too. Also, do you have anything new?
I'm not actually deep in that subject, so i have nothing else to say.
Old 05 November 2010, 18:17   #172
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
DFF000 (BLTDDAT) and DFF008 (DSKDATR) are dummy addresses which hold nothing meaningful. When you read them, you just get last value left on the memory bus, and this is not what i would call random.
Well, DFF008 actually returns either the same value as DFF006 or a zero, which DFF006 never seems to return. Might be usable as entropy, because the chipset counters aren't exactly random, either.

As for the last value on the bus: I assume this is the chipmem bus? Wouldn't such a value be difficult, or perhaps even impossible to predict? Especially if you run an extractor that only uses those two registers from chipmem instead of fastmem (make sure the program cache gets invalidated, or it possibly won't have any effect)?
Quote:
I'm not actually deep in that subject, so i have nothing else to say.
You could say whether you like it or not if you've tried the last version I posted

Anyway, I've considered your idea of using user input as a source of entropy. I think it would be best to setup an interrupt handler of some sort that monitors the user's input, collects the data and sends it out to the seeder/rng as more entropy (or collects it in pools that a seeder/rng can use). Is it difficult/annoying to setup a system friendly interrupt handler?
Old 07 November 2010, 09:03   #173
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Well, DFF008 actually returns either the same value as DFF006 or a zero, which DFF006 never seems to return. Might be usable as entropy, because the chipset counters aren't exactly random, either.

As for the last value on the bus: I assume this is the chipmem bus? Wouldn't such a value be difficult, or perhaps even impossible to predict? Especially if you run an extractor that only uses those two registers from chipmem instead of fastmem (make sure the program cache gets invalidated, or it possibly won't have any effect)?
I'm not sure of anything in this area. WinUae apparently emulates that kind of thing.

Anyway, i've read several values from DFF008, displayed them and here they are :
Code:
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
I let you judge how random it is.

Quote:
You could say whether you like it or not if you've tried the last version I posted
I haven't tried it

Quote:
Anyway, I've considered your idea of using user input as a source of entropy. I think it would be best to setup an interrupt handler of some sort that monitors the user's input, collects the data and sends it out to the seeder/rng as more entropy (or collects it in pools that a seeder/rng can use). Is it difficult/annoying to setup a system friendly interrupt handler?
You don't need an interrupt handler to use that kind of entropy. Hardware (cia) counters already take care of small timing differences that user input makes. Note that i'm using mouse position (DFF00A) in my seeder.

Anyway, if you want to monitor that stuff, you'd better add a handler to input.device rather than setting up an interrupt (which is quite easy but it's another story).
Old 07 November 2010, 18:53   #174
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Anyway, i've read several values from DFF008, displayed them and here they are :
Code:
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
FFFF
I let you judge how random it is.
Not very, but then again, a hardware counter such as the video beam counter isn't really all that random, either. I don't think you can get values that are truly random from just reading the hardware registers.

The experiments I've done do show randomness in simple 2D plots, but there's a lot of redundant information associated with these registers, and I have a hard time removing it. I could use software whitening, but this is slow. The whitening option does work, though. The reason it's slow is because of the sheer amount of data that is thrown away, which means it takes much longer to fill up a buffer of a given size.

Anyway, those registers would be nice to add, but aren't mandatory.
Quote:
You don't need an interrupt handler to use that kind of entropy. Hardware (cia) counters already take care of small timing differences that user input makes. Note that i'm using mouse position (DFF00A) in my seeder.
Actually, it would be best to use a handler of some sort. You can collect entropy over time in the background, and you'll get a lot more entropy that way:

1) Mouse pointer location.
2) Mouse button clicks.
3) Time between mouse movements.
4) Time between mouse button clicks.
5) Raw keyboard code.
6) Time between key presses.

Much of this is wasted when just reading the registers directly. You'd only get small timing changes, and this is very little entropy. Using a handler is definitely better.
Quote:
Anyway, if you want to monitor that stuff, you'd better add a handler to input.device rather than setting up an interrupt (which is quite easy but it's another story).
Yes, that does sound like a much better idea
Old 11 November 2010, 09:32   #175
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Not very, but then again, a hardware counter such as the video beam counter isn't really all that random, either. I don't think you can get values that are truly random from just reading the hardware registers.

The experiments I've done do show randomness in simple 2D plots, but there's a lot of redundant information associated with these registers, and I have a hard time removing it. I could use software whitening, but this is slow. The whitening option does work, though. The reason it's slow is because of the sheer amount of data that is thrown away, which means it takes much longer to fill up a buffer of a given size.

Anyway, those registers would be nice to add, but aren't mandatory.
Actually, it would be best to use a handler of some sort. You can collect entropy over time in the background, and you'll get a lot more entropy that way:

1) Mouse pointer location.
2) Mouse button clicks.
3) Time between mouse movements.
4) Time between mouse button clicks.
5) Raw keyboard code.
6) Time between key presses.

Much of this is wasted when just reading the registers directly. You'd only get small timing changes, and this is very little entropy. Using a handler is definitely better.
To be able to monitor things like you intend to do, you have to setup some kind of program which runs in the background. And a simple seeder+rnd doesn't fit well in that scheme, does it ?
Old 11 November 2010, 20:59   #176
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
To be able to monitor things like you intend to do, you have to setup some kind of program which runs in the background. And a simple seeder+rnd doesn't fit well in that scheme, does it ?
I don't know if I'm going to do it, but giving a programmer who uses this library the option to easily set this up would be nice, and fits perfectly in a full blown RNG library. This is also the reason why I'm not limiting my library to just one or two algorithms
Old 15 November 2010, 08:27   #177
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
I don't know if I'm going to do it, but giving a programmer who uses this library the option to easily set this up would be nice, and fits perfectly in a full blown RNG library. This is also the reason why I'm not limiting my library to just one or two algorithms
I see we have different views here. For me the RNG is just a single function in my library ; for you it's a library by itself.
But i am not sure a full blown library has any advantage over a single, simple to use, function...
Old 15 November 2010, 17:55   #178
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
But i am not sure a full blown library has any advantage over a single, simple to use, function...
Yes, it does. Your generator uses the hardware state to generate it's output. Now what happens when someone wants repeatable sequences? Or people may want different seed sizes, may want tried and tested algorithms and they may want a shuffle routine. Instead of leaving these standard things to the programmer, I'll just stick them in a library.

While your generator might be nice, it does only one thing, and this will not be enough for some
Old 18 November 2010, 09:08   #179
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Yes, it does. Your generator uses the hardware state to generate it's output. Now what happens when someone wants repeatable sequences? Or people may want different seed sizes, may want tried and tested algorithms and they may want a shuffle routine. Instead of leaving these standard things to the programmer, I'll just stick them in a library.

While your generator might be nice, it does only one thing, and this will not be enough for some
And i told you half a dozen times a library repeatable rng wasn't a good solution.

If anyone wants the very same sequence, they have an internal RNG whose properties are known.

If you intend to support all cases in a library, your library will become HUGE. Is that what you want ?
You can have a look at TestU01's rng library to see what this means. Is that really what you want ?
Old 18 November 2010, 18:47   #180
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
And i told you half a dozen times a library repeatable rng wasn't a good solution.

If anyone wants the very same sequence, they have an internal RNG whose properties are known.

If you intend to support all cases in a library, your library will become HUGE. Is that what you want ?
You can have a look at TestU01's rng library to see what this means. Is that really what you want ?
No, I don't want a huge library, and it's not going to be like that. The idea is to implement some good, well known generators. In my case those are: xorshift, mwc, cmwc and Mersenne twister. After that there's a seeder, a hardware state based generator and Durstenfeld's shuffling algorithm. That's it.

For Amiga purposes this is quite a good setup, and it doesn't result in thousands of lines of code, and is therefore not too big at all.

All routines except the hardware state based generator are already written, and just need testing, and it wasn't much work at all