English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 31 March 2011, 15:36   #1
Plus4

Hi Bloodwych and all,

Classic WB looks great. Just unpacked my vanilla A1200 after some years and wish to install...

I have EasyADF and a CF card plus all the necessary WB disks, can download and install in to UAE no problems. I'm VERY keen to get this OS on my *real* Miggy and the next instructions seem logical and make sense UNTIL I get to the part where I need to ZIP the contents of C: in WinUAE before porting to the real thing....

The instructions advise me to use DOPUS to do this. However, the version of DOPUS included with ClassicWB does not appear to include ZIP functionality (or for some reason it was not activated). When I compare Bloodwych's screenshot with my own there is blank button spaces where ZIP is should be!

I can create the install ADF but all I lack is a System.zip - So, I'd love either some advice on how to Zip this in UAE or (preferrably) a link / e-mail from a kind soul with a prezipped System.Zip.

Is there a good reason why a prezipped System.Zip is not available - It would seem to make sense to be able to grab one? I hope my query makes sense....?

All help gratefully recieved & acknolwledged!

Old 31 March 2011, 15:41   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hi and welcome to EAB Plus4!

Have a look here : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55362 and http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=57068
I bet Steve has already replied while I typed this
Edit : Yay, first!
Old 31 March 2011, 15:46   #3
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
TCD out Ninja'd me, if you get stuck let us know, I think the second link TCD gave I listed the steps, so hope that helps
Old 31 March 2011, 17:37   #4
Plus4

Zone

Thanks Guys,

Interesting reading, it appears at least one of those chaps was having the same issue as me. I promise you I can install CWB immaculately via WINUAE but no ZIP option is available (I know how to use DOPUS quite well)...

Anyway, I'm excited to see my savour may be a prezipped System.zip in the Zone!

Alas,

Plus4, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
  1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
I will check my account settings.

I'm mindfull of any copyright issues, and am happy to post a nice pic of me holding my WB disks!

Old 31 March 2011, 17:41   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Just read the rules here.
Old 31 March 2011, 18:46   #6
Eclipse
Turpentine

Do you have a card reader in your PC?
If you do it's actually very easy to set it up in winuae and then stick the card back in the miggy
Old 31 March 2011, 19:24   #7
Bloodwych

Hi Plus4, glad you find the ClassicWB useful and welcome to EAB.

I don't understand when you say there is no ZIP function in Dopus.

There is a button that says "ZIP" in all versions, see below. If there are blank button spaces, perhaps it's a problem with WinUAE I haven't spotted. Which version of ClassicWB are you using, and which version of WinUAE?

Old 31 March 2011, 20:10   #8
Plus4

Hey Bloodwych

I've looking around on various forums I've noticed a few others who have experianced this. I'm on UAE 2.3.1 (2011.02.26) it's running ks version 40.63 and WB 40.43 - It's CWB lite, when I launch DOPUS it shows columns of options All, Copy, Makedir, Hunt, Run etc. Run is the only option in the 5th Column - The rest of the buttons are blanked out. This may help you diagnose the issue. I can post a screenshot if you want - I could try a reinstall on WINUAE, what's the *ideal* preferred combination set up wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse View Post
Do you have a card reader in your PC?
If you do it's actually very easy to set it up in winuae and then stick the card back in the miggy

Yes, got card reader!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Just read the rules here.
Sorry TCD, Done!

Last edited by Graham Humphrey; 31 March 2011 at 20:24. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged

Old 01 April 2011, 00:19   #9
Bloodwych

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look and try and find out why it's missing.
Old 01 April 2011, 02:20   #10
NovaCoder

I do it a little differently.

1) Configure the ClassicWB how how you like it under WinUAE (using the default HARDFILE).
2) Connect your real Miggy drive and then add it as another drive to your ClassicWB config (so it appears as a drive (or drives) on your emulated ClassicWB setup).
3) Use Dopus to simply copy all the System files across to your real drive.

Seems to work ok for me, Bloodwych will soon tell us if this is a bad idea
Old 01 April 2011, 10:08   #11
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@Bloodwych,

Options will be missing from DOpus if you have two Partitions with the same name - i.e System(HDF) & System(CF), maybe this is the problem here?

I always rename the original on the HDF to System1 just so that when I'm working I don't get these issues.
Old 01 April 2011, 11:10   #12
Bloodwych

NovaCoder, that is indeed the best (and fastest) way without a doubt! It is mentioned under the instructions as Method 1. The ZIP method is for people who don't want to remove their hard drive.

That could be the issue fitzsteve, thanks for pointing it out.
Old 01 April 2011, 13:15   #13
Eclipse
Turpentine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
I do it a little differently.

1) Configure the ClassicWB how how you like it under WinUAE (using the default HARDFILE).
2) Connect your real Miggy drive and then add it as another drive to your ClassicWB config (so it appears as a drive (or drives) on your emulated ClassicWB setup).
3) Use Dopus to simply copy all the System files across to your real drive.

Seems to work ok for me, Bloodwych will soon tell us if this is a bad idea
How I do it too
Old 01 April 2011, 13:16   #14
Plus4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
NovaCoder, that is indeed the best (and fastest) way without a doubt! It is mentioned under the instructions as Method 1. The ZIP method is for people who don't want to remove their hard drive.

That could be the issue fitzsteve, thanks for pointing it out.
OR it could be becuase I've installed Classic LITE into WinUAE instead or the WINUAE version?

I might try again at the weekend - Starting from scratch!

Old 01 April 2011, 13:20   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plus4 View Post
OR it could be becuase I've installed Classic LITE into WinUAE instead or the WINUAE version?
No, the WinUAE version is meant to be run on WinUAE, not an A1200.
Old 01 April 2011, 13:24   #16
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

All the packs work fine in WinUAE.

If you're still stuck and want me to 'Zone' the Lite pack (unactivated) as System.zip its no problem, if the file is over 20mb I can split it with WinRAR.

Steve.
Old 01 April 2011, 16:21   #17
Plus4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
All the packs work fine in WinUAE.

If you're still stuck and want me to 'Zone' the Lite pack (unactivated) as System.zip its no problem, if the file is over 20mb I can split it with WinRAR.

Steve.

STEVE!

I would love that! - To address the previous point, I do not wish to remove my Amiga hard drive. I'm not confident enough technically to perform this operation technically! I'd never forgive myself if I bust my Amiga!!

A.

Old 01 April 2011, 16:29   #18
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

@Plus4

No problem, I'll do it later this evening for you.

I'll update the thead once its done. You will still need to use a workbench Disk to activate it though.

All the best.

Steve.
Old 01 April 2011, 16:46   #19
Plus4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
@Plus4

No problem, I'll do it later this evening for you.

I'll update the thead once its done. You will still need to use a workbench Disk to activate it though.

All the best.

Steve.
Yes, sure, I have my WB3.1 disks ready in my sweaty little hands as well as my Install ADF, I assume installing Classic WB over a new WB3.1 install on my hard drive is best? or should I format DHO completely? I'm not sure it matters in terms of the System.zip you are gonna upload but it's the LITE version I'm gonna go for....

Cheers once again - A.

EDIT _ I just reread the instructions forget the question about DH0: !

Old 02 April 2011, 00:02   #20
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Sorry for the delay - only just got to sit at the Computer properly since leaving work! Busy evening LOL

System.zip for CWB Lite in the Zone

Remember this needs activation with Workbench Disk/s