English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 25 June 2018, 15:00   #881
Jope
-

There is no ready pulse generation on the motherboard, trackdisk.device always assumes DF0 is present. If the drive is capable of generating its own ready pulse, it will detect a HD drive (ks 2.04 + setpatch or 3.x needed).
AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 June 2018, 16:36   #882
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
could this be an issue for internal goteks as well? I haven't gone back to the issue yet but I have an A500 rev5 mainboard. The original internal floppy drive was DD and I replaced that with my GoTek. i don't recall if the gotek required some setup besides DF0 jumper. I never had an HD floppy in an Amiga before so I'm curious if it really is just plug and play or not (some additional steps required).
That will just work, Amigas don't have built-in ID circuitry for DF0, as the OS by default assumes a double-density DF0 drive is present. Hence FlashFloppy's ID generation for HD images will simply work.

(Ah yes, as Jope already pointed out )
Old 25 June 2018, 17:44   #883
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
That will just work, Amigas don't have built-in ID circuitry for DF0, as the OS by default assumes a double-density DF0 drive is present. Hence FlashFloppy's ID generation for HD images will simply work.

(Ah yes, as Jope already pointed out )
OK great. I'll try to get to some testing this week and report back with files via github if necessary. I haven't yet upgraded to the latest and greatest version.
Old 25 June 2018, 18:16   #884
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
OK great. I'll try to get to some testing this week and report back with files via github if necessary. I haven't yet upgraded to the latest and greatest version.
Even though it's insanely easy via update file on USB stick? </advert>

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...irmware-Update
Old 25 June 2018, 19:43   #885
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Even though it's insanely easy via update file on USB stick? </advert>

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...irmware-Update
Yep, I know how easy it is, I've not been at my Amiga much and haven't had a need for Hd adfs when I do get to power it up is all.
Old 30 June 2018, 15:43   #886
voyager
The show must go on.

Send a message via MSN to voyager
Quote:
voyager, Jope: You are correct of course, an ordinary Amiga drive enclosure will always emit the Amiga-DD ID sequence and that overrides he Amiga-HD sequence. Hence HD disks get identified as DD and are unreadable (or even, confusingly, unreliably unreadable!).

The simplest universal defeat is to modify the enclosure's interface board: cut the trace to pin 1 of the external connector, and connect pin 34 of the internal drive connector to pin 1 of the external connector.

I will add this caveat and guidance to the FF wiki.

If I understand you correctly, (just want to be sure here)

Take pin 1 on de DB23 that should be RDY <-> Disk Ready

Bypass the internal board of the enclosure and connect it to pin 34 DSKCHG <- Disk Change/Ready on the gotek?
Old 02 July 2018, 06:42   #887
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager View Post
If I understand you correctly, (just want to be sure here)

Take pin 1 on de DB23 that should be RDY <-> Disk Ready

Bypass the internal board of the enclosure and connect it to pin 34 DSKCHG <- Disk Change/Ready on the gotek?
When talking about drives connected to the Amiga, you should look at the Amiga disk pinout.. So there pin34 is ready, pin2 is diskchange.

Perhaps it makes more sense now.

In addition to connecting the gotek's ready directly to the amiga floppy bus's ready, you should also disconnect or completely remove the TTL chip (often a 7438) that provides the ready pulse on the external drive enclosure's PCB.

Last edited by Jope; 02 July 2018 at 14:29.
Old 02 July 2018, 08:03   #888
LoadWB

Quote:
That will just work, Amigas don't have built-in ID circuitry for DF0, as the OS by default assumes a double-density DF0 drive is present.
Which models? I put an HD drive in my 1200 and it works in both modes as expected.
Old 02 July 2018, 08:26   #889
kaffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadWB View Post
Which models? I put an HD drive in my 1200 and it works in both modes as expected.
The OS assumes a DD drive by default, but will respect the HD ID if it sees it. It checks every time a disk is inserted.
AdSense AdSense