English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 17 September 2001, 11:51   #1
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Big grin Super Bargain

I got a fantastic deal yesterday at a car boot sale. I spotted a box full of Amiga Format magazines that looked in pretty good condition. I asked how much and the guy told me £4.00 originally but I haggled him down to £3.00.
When I finally got the huge box home I found it full of Amiga Format magazines from 1992-1995 most of them in superb mint condition. About half of the magazines had their original coverdisks still on the magazines unopened. Some of the magazines were still in their original plastic bag, sealed!!
I was totally amazed it was such a bargain. He even kept the original adverts that came as leaflets in the magazine. Amazing. I'm gonna have a lot of fun going through all the cool stuff in the magazines. That's my best find yet. My last good find was a boxed very good condition C64 for £7.00. Get hunting at your local car boot sales. It's a lot of fun and you might just get a rarity for dirt cheap.
Old 17 September 2001, 12:09   #2
Tim Janssen

Smile Aaaaaaaaaargh!

Why? For godsake why? For 12 years now I am looking at every single flea market in this country for some ancient Commodore/ Amiga magazines and I have found NONE!
I don't care in which condition the mags are in but I want to collect them! Steve, you are really, really, really a lucky bastard. I really envy you.

*Desperate cry alert*
Maybe you can share some Amiga Formats with the world community by scanning some game-reviews and publish them on Internet? I would be eternally grateful..
Some people have already done it:
Kulpower with Amiga Joker
Iian Black with Zzap.
Old 17 September 2001, 12:13   #3
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Only the UK crowd have that kind of luck at the carboot sales. (sigh)
Old 17 September 2001, 12:40   #4
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Re: Aaaaaaaaaargh!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Janssen I don't care in which condition the mags are in but I want to collect them! Steve, you are really, really, really a lucky bastard. I really envy you.
Lol. Thanks. I feel quite lucky. British car boot sales are great. Some of the magazines I have got with the collection are AF magazines I already have so I may sell a few of them if anyone is interested? Issues 55+
Unfortunately I don't have a scanner... yet. I'm still on the hunt for AF issues 1-30. I just love reading old reviews!

Last edited by Steve; 23 February 2003 at 19:47.
Old 17 September 2001, 12:41   #5
MrDig

That's a really good deal! I once payed 10 pounds for 20 very old Dutch Amiga magazines without coverdisks!

And to Tim Janssen (because you are also Dutch , try to look at Ibazar.nl at the Amiga section, sometimes there are some persons offering some Amiga Magazines or you could post a request for it..

Old 17 September 2001, 13:33   #6
Amigaboy

Quote:
Only the UK crowd have that kind of luck at the carboot sales. (sigh)
Don't forget the aussies

Old 17 September 2001, 18:04   #7
Amiga1992

Hmm. should this kind of messages (look at the bargain I got!), be posted in Marketplace?
Old 17 September 2001, 19:28   #8
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Question Marketplace???

Where is that???
Anyway I didn't start this thread to sell stuff.
Old 17 September 2001, 19:41   #9
Amiga1992

Amiga Scene--> Marketplace

I KNOW you didnt start it to sell anything! I thought that our 'buying experiences' might be better if in that forum, for now on.

It was just an idea, I was expecting hearing suggestions. I didnt mean to bash you, you lucky bastard

Now that yuo have a CD32 can you try something for me? Connect a Sega Genesis 6 button joypad and see how many buttons work. B and C shoudl work, but which others? Might be a cheaparse alternative to CD32 joypads. If they dont work I bet they can easily be converted.
Old 18 September 2001, 11:31   #10
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

No Pain No Gain!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
It was just an idea, I was expecting hearing suggestions. I didnt mean to bash you, you lucky bastard

Now that you have a CD32 can you try something for me? Connect a Sega Genesis 6 button joypad and see how many buttons work. B and C shoudl work, but which others? Might be a cheaparse alternative to CD32 joypads. If they dont work I bet they can easily be converted.
Hehehe. Don't worry I wasn't bashed! I think the Marketplace is a great idea. Don't think me too lucky though. Something I didn't mention yesterday. I had to carry the box packed full of magazines back home. It wieghed an absolute ton (about 50 AF magazines) and the walk is usually 15 minutes. It took me 30 minutes to get back to my house with that damn box! The last 15 minutes of which I had to stop every 10 metres to give my poor arms a rest. It was absolute agony. That was on Sunday and my arms are still aching today. But no pain no gain as they say. Oh and I'm not a weed I do some wieght lifting now and again.
LOL.

Ermm..... who said I had a CD32? I'm still looking for one of those at a car boot sale but they're very hard to find.
Old 18 September 2001, 12:04   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well, finally I find a good deal on something. I mean, I used to find good deals all the time when I lived in California, but here in redneck country...I digress.

So anyhow, this afternoon I will be picking up a new PC and will have a second machine. Great sale: PIII 500MHz, 64megs, 20 gig HD and 15" monitor for $299US. At that price, I should buy two of them! The box is no name (which is a good thing, IMHO) and the monitors are HP brand. Considering my current system is just a PI, it will be a welcome change of speed for me.
Old 18 September 2001, 20:39   #12
Amiga1992

Re: No Pain No Gain!!

Quote:
Originally posted by steve_b

Ermm..... who said I had a CD32? I'm still looking for one of those at a car boot sale but they're very hard to find.
Woops! I got confused with that other thread! :P
Old 22 September 2001, 22:00   #13
Djay
95th User

i missed a CDTV (complete and boxed) by about 2 seconds at a boot market (gutted), the whole sold for £50...

but a couple of weeks later i bought 250 hundred amiga disks for £25.

finding amiga stuff at boot markets is the only reason i get up early on Sundays, well apart from a 3yr old daughter and a bargain hunting missus. lol.
Old 23 September 2001, 03:00   #14
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Any never-before-seen-on-the-net rarities in that batch of disks, by any chance?
Old 24 September 2001, 01:21   #15
Djay
95th User

reply to twistin'

i got a few doubles of stuff i had already, a copy of Amos Pro (but no manual, worst luck)

a few knackered disks, a few titles which i hadn't seen on the net b4, but after searching about a bit i found them... and a few things i have as adfs but not the originals.

so in truth it was a bit fruitless, but at least i got some more stuff for my amiga.

oh yeah and a knackered copy of dpaint 5 AGA, which i tried to transfer but no joy (and i really want this on adf)

Old 24 September 2001, 04:34   #16
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I may have DPaint V AGA at home. I will check and see and if so, will post for you.
Old 21 February 2003, 12:12   #17
Echo

Spotted this old thread through a search. If the demand for collecting mags is still there, I've decided to clear out my collection. Simply don't have the space anymore.

From what I can remember, my two best sets are "The One" and "Amiga Format", both with at least 2 years of issues (roughly between 1993-1996). As far as I know, all coverdisks (or cover CDs in AF's case) are present too. All copies have been kept in near mint condition.

If anyone's interested, please let me know via this thread or PM. I'll need some time to copy any unique coverdisks to ADF / Amiga HD before getting rid of them. But I could have the sets ready within say, two weeks.

Make me an offer
Old 21 February 2003, 12:32   #18
Phiber
Hardware Freak

Send a message via MSN to Phiber
Any chance of finding AF issue #19 coverdisk in that box??

Because i'm looking for that issue's coverdisk, and it's not even on TOSEC..
Old 23 February 2003, 18:48   #19
ElectroBlaster

Send a message via ICQ to ElectroBlaster
I have loads of amiga mags too! tons of AF's... i will look for the older one's later
Old 24 February 2003, 15:53   #20
Tim Janssen

Smile My bargain

This weekend a friend of mine was cleaning his attic and found some old mags in mint condition: Five Zzaps and an issue of C&VG from 1989 and 1990. He gave them to me so currently I am over the moon despite some duplicate mags.