English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 January 2015, 18:48   #1
pubzombie

Analogue pc joysticks on Amiga

Hi all,
I have an older pre USB analogue joystick for my old pc (sort that plugged into the sound card).
I fancied trying it on some old flight sims on Amiga and Elite etc - I have seen adapters made in the past and sold online. Just checking - do these work ok (was gonna get one from Amigakit) and are the safe?
Also fo they work on all games or just flight sims?
Thank you.
Steve
Old 26 January 2015, 19:41   #2
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

my dad once rewired a PC analogue joystick to work on Amiga, it seemed fine.

they will only work on games specifically programmed to use them. they won't work as a normal joystick.
Old 26 January 2015, 19:54   #3
Jope
-

An ancient post with some games with analogue support. It is not a very long list. :-D

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=252205&postcount=6
Old 26 January 2015, 19:56   #4
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

hmm, maybe potential for WHDLoad mods here, put analogue stick support into, eg, Starglider
Old 26 January 2015, 20:51   #5
pubzombie

Yeh - would be great to get more support for analogue sticks, I want to be able to play Sims and frontier without constantly having to bob the stick
Old 27 January 2015, 07:34   #6
andy
Back.

I was writing a few hours ago about analogue and the adapter I bought back in the '90s, Steve! I still have the adapter from then and a box of sticks too. It's been an impossibility for a long time but I yearn for a USB stick to get the same sort of game input on the PC today! Xbox 360 pads are good but they're not always ideal...

Getting to your questions, Formula One Grand Prix (F1GP) and Gunship 2000 were the big games with it for me and as with steering wheels that would later follow on the PC and consoles, that fine control transformed the experience of them both. As well implemented as other options are, there's no substitute for being able to gradually make a turn or maintain a speed or angle as you're able to with an analogue stick in these two games.

Oh, no problems on my 500+ after years of use either - just that brilliant analogue input compared to digital sticks or keyboard!
Old 27 January 2015, 07:56   #7
Jope
-

I never knew that FA18 Interceptor also did analogue. I should have tried that when I still had an analogue PC gameport stick. Damn.
Old 27 January 2015, 08:20   #8
Nekoniaow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
An ancient post with some games with analogue support. It is not a very long list. :-D

http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=252205&postcount=6
About as long as the list of games which support all three buttons allowed by the joystick port!

Also it's interesting that all these games are vehicle simulators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
hmm, maybe potential for WHDLoad mods here, put analogue stick support into, eg, Starglider
Good idea, however this is massive work since this requires modifying all the input handling code while preserving the existing gameplay. For games which translate the binary impulses of the joystick into an analog state because their engine requires it (typically simulators) that could work since one would essentially need to short cut the binary to analog conversion but for those where impulses are directly translated to action any change would radically alter gameplay.

This said it's definitely worth trying.

Last edited by Nekoniaow; 27 January 2015 at 08:21. Reason: Proper links to quoted creatures's posts.
Old 27 January 2015, 08:36   #9
pubzombie

Well for starters I have F19, Red Baron and Knights of the Sky to play - YAY
Old 27 January 2015, 13:18   #10
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekoniaow View Post
Good idea, however this is massive work since this requires modifying all the input handling code while preserving the existing gameplay.
Starglider is controlled with the mouse IIRC
Old 27 January 2015, 16:39   #11
Daedalus

I built an analogue adaptor right into my towered A1200 so I could just plug the standard 15-pin D connector straight in. Worked great in Birds of Prey - awesome game in "realistic" mode with analogue!

Edit: Never mind, I se F1GP on the list after all... It was excellent with analogue control though, and IIRC it supported multiple buttons for gear changes.
Old 27 January 2015, 23:03   #12
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
I never knew that FA18 Interceptor also did analogue. I should have tried that when I still had an analogue PC gameport stick. Damn.
Me too, I didn't know .
F/A-18 Interceptor was one of my favorite games on Amiga!

Is there a way - in WinUAE - to emulate an analog joystick using the PC mouse? (without buying a real analog joystick, I mean)
Old 27 January 2015, 23:26   #13
zipper

Analog Joystick Adapter was available, I did use a Flightstick thru it, Jet Pilot for instance.
Well, seems still be available @ Amigakit.

Last edited by zipper; 27 January 2015 at 23:31.
Old 28 January 2015, 21:24   #14
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
Is there a way - in WinUAE - to emulate an analog joystick using the PC mouse? (without buying a real analog joystick, I mean)
funnily enough i was considering the possibility of doing the opposite, and making some kind of adapter that would allow to use an analogue joystick as an Amiga mouse
Old 29 January 2015, 09:44   #15
Jope
-

Quote:
That's something for support.Winuae, but why don't you take a look at the input config editor. I haven't checked, but if it can be done, that's where you're probably going to do it.
Old 29 January 2015, 14:34   #16
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
Well for starters I have F19, Red Baron and Knights of the Sky to play - YAY
I had no idea Red Baron existed on the Amiga. I really enjoyed that game on the PC when I was younger.
Old 29 January 2015, 16:46   #17
strim
NetBSD developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
funnily enough i was considering the possibility of doing the opposite, and making some kind of adapter that would allow to use an analogue joystick as an Amiga mouse
Actually, some of these PSX adapters allow to use Playstation pad analog sticks as Amiga mouse. So that should be perfectly doable .
Old 29 January 2015, 22:24   #18
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
That's something for support.Winuae, but why don't you take a look at the input config editor.
Do you mean the .uae config file I'm using?

Quote:
I haven't checked, but if it can be done, that's where you're probably going to do it.
I don't know if it's possible, but even if it was I took a look at the config (.uae) file but the mouse/joystick section is so complicated that I wouldn't know what to modify..
Old 29 January 2015, 22:37   #19
Jope
-

You don't have to edit the config file directly, winuae's gui has a section called input and that's where you should look.
Old 30 January 2015, 08:13   #20
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
2.8.0b8: "- Some kind of physical mouse as digital/analog joystick/joypad support. Not that good but perhaps better than nothing."

Game Ports panel: set mouse in port 2, set type to "analog joystick" (select box under the device selection). Can't get any easier.

(PC compatible game pad is much better solution..)