English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 02 March 2023, 09:35   #1
Optimus6128

Came from an A1200 to a classic A500, have some questions

I was used to the workbench on A1200, but recently bought an A500 to be able to watch all old demos that are incompatible.

There is no HD any more, so I made a workbench 1.3 floppy. I also copied some files in another floppy as few of the demos are pure executables and no ADFs (I use Amiga drawbridge on WinUAE to format a floppy then copy files from the mounted HD folder in the emul).

Now my files are invisible on WB1.3 on real Amiga. And I know there used to be a menu item "Show All files" in later WB but now this is missing. Is there a CLI command or shortcut to make them visible? I heard somewhere I need to provide an INFO file (how do I make this?) but I hoped the OS would help me not needing this. Anyway, I ended up using CLI (after some confusion as DF0: didn't work, I had to type CD DF0

But here is the other thing. Everytime I have to do basic things, like type "DIR", it asks me the WB1.3 floppy, then swap back my floppy. I am considering getting a second floppy drive for this, but isn't there a way to load basic commands of the OS on RAM or something? (of course then I might be missing RAM to run demos). Are there some ways on this early workbench to make life easier?

Finally, I am considering to make a minimal boot floppy. Something that boots amiga to the CLI and only without the extra clutter, and has plenty of space left in floppy, so that I can boot on CLI and manually run small executables from the same floppy I've copied too. I was searching how to do it (or maybe if there is some prepared floppies on aminet for that). Like a DOS command.com floppy, without the rest of the OS, just the basic minimal set to CLI and run other executables. Someone mentioned "Install DF0:" but that didn't do anything. Is there a walkthrough on how to build on or a provided minimal boot CLI floppy anywhere?

Thanks, sorry for too many questions. I was pulling my hair yesterday as I came down from the much nicer A1200 workbench on a HD, to the floppy based that is missing things.
Old 02 March 2023, 12:01   #2
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus6128 View Post
Now my files are invisible on WB1.3 on real Amiga. And I know there used to be a menu item "Show All files" in later WB but now this is missing. Is there a CLI command or shortcut to make them visible?
No, the functionality to show files that don't have icons associated with them only came in with Workbench 2, so I'm afraid you can only really see them in the Shell.

Quote:
I heard somewhere I need to provide an INFO file (how do I make this?) but I hoped the OS would help me not needing this.
Yep, .info files contain the icon information for an associated file. If your file is called Game, the icon file for that will be Game.info. You can create an icon with an icon editor (one is included with Workbench 3 so you could make it on your A1200). A quicker approach is to simply copy an existing icon file to yours using the Shell, (e.g. Copy Notepad.info Game.info). It will look identical to the one you copied, but at least it'll be visible.

Quote:
But here is the other thing. Everytime I have to do basic things, like type "DIR", it asks me the WB1.3 floppy, then swap back my floppy. I am considering getting a second floppy drive for this, but isn't there a way to load basic commands of the OS on RAM or something? (of course then I might be missing RAM to run demos). Are there some ways on this early workbench to make life easier?
You can make a command resident in memory using the Resident command. For example Resident Cir will load the Dir command into RAM so it doesn't need to be loaded from disk any more. You're right in that it will take RAM that you might need for a demo, but many demos that are that tight on RAM will self-boot anyway.

Quote:
Finally, I am considering to make a minimal boot floppy. Something that boots amiga to the CLI and only without the extra clutter, and has plenty of space left in floppy, so that I can boot on CLI and manually run small executables from the same floppy I've copied too. I was searching how to do it (or maybe if there is some prepared floppies on aminet for that). Like a DOS command.com floppy, without the rest of the OS, just the basic minimal set to CLI and run other executables. Someone mentioned "Install DF0:" but that didn't do anything. Is there a walkthrough on how to build on or a provided minimal boot CLI floppy anywhere?
Install DF0: makes the disk bootable, but you still need to tell it how to boot. The boot script is S:Startup-sequence, and it's possible to have a very minimal installation my setting up the disk with S, C, L and LIBS directories and copying a few key files in there. I'm pretty rusty with 1.3 stuff so I can't say just how little you'd get away with, but it depends greatly on what you actually want to do - the Dir command in C would be a key file for many purposes, for example. I would suggest copying the Workbench disk and then removing items from the Startup-sequence until you get what you're looking for.

Quote:
Thanks, sorry for too many questions. I was pulling my hair yesterday as I came down from the much nicer A1200 workbench on a HD, to the floppy based that is missing things.
Indeed, there were some significant improvements in terms of user experience in Workbench 2 (and again in 3) - it's easy to forget just how much changed in a few short years with Amiga OS.
Old 02 March 2023, 12:25   #3
paul1981

Try this for file management: http://aminet.net/package/util/dir/FileMaster2.2

You'll be able to see all the files.

How much RAM does your A500 have? If you have spare you might be able to get RAD to work properly and boot your Amiga without a disk in and still be left with enough RAM for a usable system.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=78932

Last edited by paul1981; 02 March 2023 at 12:33.
Old 02 March 2023, 12:58   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus6128 View Post
I am considering to make a minimal boot floppy. Something that boots amiga to the CLI and only without the extra clutter, and has plenty of space left in floppy, so that I can boot on CLI and manually run small executables from the same floppy I've copied too. Someone mentioned "Install DF0:" but that didn't do anything.
Boot your workbench disk. Open CLI. Format a new disk, then run command "install df0:" with the new disk in the drive.

From then on the newly formatted disk will boot to CLI when inserted where you can type in the filename to launch your demos.

Depending on how much RAM you have you might need to put the file "add36k" on the disk too. Invoke add36k before invoking demo exe. NOTE: I think you can't see anything after you type add36k but typing the demo exe name and pressing enter will launch the demo. You might want to put a directory C on the disk with the file "dir" as I don't think this is a CLI resident command but I may be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Install DF0: makes the disk bootable, but you still need to tell it how to boot.
No you don't. It will just boot and open a CLI window with a prompt where you can type the name of the demo exe you want to run.

Last edited by alexh; 02 March 2023 at 13:06.
Old 02 March 2023, 14:23   #5
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
No you don't. It will just boot and open a CLI window with a prompt where you can type the name of the demo exe you want to run.
True, for a completely barebones setup. I was assuming a Shell environment was wanted that was comparable to the Shell you get when you run it from Workbench, which from memory requires the newer Shell to be loaded from the boot disk.
Old 02 March 2023, 22:14   #6
EctoOne

Isn't Install DF0: also somewhat limited? Meaning that if you do that on any Workbench greater than 1.3 it won't boot on 1.3 because it uses a different filesystem or something like that.

There is a package on Aminet that apparently has a bootable disk for 1.3. Haven't tried it myself though.
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/Empty_ADF_files

Not quite sure if it can help since this is about real hardware.
Old 02 March 2023, 22:39   #7
Optimus6128

Great thanks, the empty bootable disk with just DIR in the C and then the rest of the files I copy inside is a good solution that works now. I'll look at other suggestions too as it's good to have some more helpful amiga tools around, even though I am set now for most demo watching.
Old 06 March 2023, 13:05   #8
Optimus6128

Just another question, I received a new external floppy disk drive for my Amiga but I am not sure if it's working or I need to do something more.

I connect it's cable to the external floppy disk port, the drive also has an on/off switch which I turn on. Nothing happens in workbench. I try on/off, or disconnect and reconnect, or find some prefs or type df1: I also try to insert a floppy in.

Am I right to assume workbench would automatically detect and I would see a led light or anything? Or does one have to run some mount command to detect it? It could be that the floppy or the port is busted, or I am missing something.
Old 06 March 2023, 13:13   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Workbench 2.04+ it should just appear once a disk is inserted.

I never had an external floppy drive under Workbench 1.3 but I would expect the same.

If the external drive is powered, and communication with Amiga is working, without a disk inserted, you should be hearing the standard amiga "disk click" on the external drive. It rotates the motor and moves the head every few seconds.
Old 06 March 2023, 13:54   #10
khph_re

Hi Optimus, I also use An A500 and floppies to watch Demos.
Once the disk it bootable, I found a menu creator on Aminet.

I have lots of of small demos on each disk, and I can use the mouse to launch them from the menu. The menu autoboots to the list of files.
Old 06 March 2023, 14:21   #11
Optimus6128

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Workbench 2.04+ it should just appear once a disk is inserted.

I never had an external floppy drive under Workbench 1.3 but I would expect the same.

If the external drive is powered, and communication with Amiga is working, without a disk inserted, you should be hearing the standard amiga "disk click" on the external drive. It rotates the motor and moves the head every few seconds.
Then I am afraid the drive (or connection) is bust. I will see what I will do or maybe I'll need to try a tool to check if the connection port is present.

For now, the solution of bootable floppies with all demos and basic software mostly works for me.
Old 06 March 2023, 14:24   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by khph_re View Post
I found a menu creator on Aminet.
What is it called? Is it this?

https://aminet.net/package/util/boot/NDos
Old 07 March 2023, 08:10   #13
khph_re

There's a few on there, I'll have a kook on my 500 when i get back from work.
Old 08 March 2023, 11:26   #14
Optimus6128

Today I tried again that external floppy. It momentarily lit up and I think I could feel the heartbeat. Then it stopped again. I tried to switch on and off my Amiga. Or move and push the cable more. In few rare cases it blinked red and then stopped, but I could never fully test it, like botting up to workbench from 1st floppy, the check the 2nd with another disk.

Is it possible that power supply is not enough? Although the same happens when I plug this drive in the A1200. Maybe the cable is busted and moving it around gets the connection for a while?

p.s. Is the main red light on my A500 (while green on A1200) and indication that there is not too much power supplied? I think I've read that somewhere in an old post where someone couldn't get external devices to work because of not too much power supplied but maybe it's wrong.
Old 20 March 2023, 12:22   #15
A500

I'd say it's the cable, but it could also be a dirty connector. Some IPA and a toothbrush will do the trick with the latter problem.

Also, never connect or disconnect the drive when the Amiga is powered on (sorry, had to get this out of the way )

The power source could also be the culprit. Did you use the same one with your A1200 and A500?
Old 20 March 2023, 13:04   #16
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

The LED color is not a power delivery issue indicator, no - some A500's (older models) have a red power LED, while the later ones have a green one.