English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 June 2009, 11:06   #1
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Post How to make 1MB ROM

Here are the instructions for making a 1MB ROM. These are specific to an A1200 as these can take a 1MB ROM without any hardware modifications (also CD32). They are derived from and refer to those included with Remus from Doobrey. Many thanks to Doobrey for making his software, its included 1MB patches, and help on using it.

I will be focusing on the software building of the 1MB ROM image which can be used in WinUAE.

What you need:
1. Existing Amiga ROM [A1200 v3.1 rev40.68 + AmigaOS 3.9 Boing Bag 2 ROM Update + scsi.device 43.45 used]
2. ROMsplit
[1.0rc15 used]
To split the original ROMs into individual modules. Included in the Remus package (see below).
3. Remus [1.0rc25 used]
To build a new ROM image from the individual modules. Download from Doobrey's website: http://www.doobreynet.co.uk/beta/

Splitting the ROM image into individual modules
Extract the Remus package, and read the ROMsplit Amigaguide documentation paying particular attention to the Installation and Use sections. (yes RTFM)

Follow the ROMsplit instructions on loading the ROM file in (you can grab from your existing Amiga), then on extracting it into individual modules.

You can optionally also perform the same for the AmigaOS 3.9 ROM Update file ("AmigaOS ROM Update") taken from your existing 3.9 installation from the DEVS: directory.

When extracting the rom modules, depending on the ROM version, ROMsplit may ask if you want to deploy the ram-handler BSS patch or the input.device patch. Answer yes to the ram-handler patch, but it is not necessary to deploy the "input patch" which splits the input.device file separating that from gameport.device - unless you have a replacement input.device (e.g. from Poseidon) and want to save ROM space.

Building the new ROM image from the individual modules
Read the Remus Amigaguide documentation, paying particular attention to the Use and Making a 1MB ROM sections. (yes RTFM again. Do it!)

Build the standard ROM image according to the Remus instructions which should be self explanatory. You can include later versions of certain modules at this stage, and also leave out some such as workbench.library or icon.library which can be loaded from disk instead (though many boot floppies will then not be able to boot into workbench). If using 3.9 Boing Bag 2 ROM Update, I recommend replacing the scsi.device with v43.45 available on Aminet which fixes some bugs and allows use of >128GB hard drives from internal IDE controller.

ROM modules to enable 1MB ROM for standard ROM image: 1MB_ROM.

Build the extended ROM image according to the Remus instructions.

ROM modules to enable 1MB ROM for extended ROM image: RomHeader, DummyCDstrap (for 040 and 060).

Sample Remus project files for Standard and Extended ROMs for A1200 KS3.1 v40.68 + OS3.9 Boing Bag 2 ROM Update + scsi.device 43.45 attached. You will need to rename these to .rpf and also the directories where you keep your individual modules may be different (edit the files in a text editor to see which directories they load from).

Testing in WinUAE [1.5.3 used]
Select the standard ROM file that was built as the standard ROM, and the extended ROM file as the extended ROM.

Alternatively, you can join the two files together into a 1MB file using the following command in a shell window:

Code:
type extendedromfile standardromfile > 1MBromfile
And load the 1MBromfile as the standard ROM in WinUAE.

A further step recommended (if you wanted to use the 1MB ROM in your real Amiga) is to copy your entire real Amiga harddisk to e.g. a USB drive and try to boot off that in WinUAE using the constructed 1MB ROM image(s). If that is successful, it reduces your chances of the ROM being incompatible with your real Amiga setup. You may have to make some adjustments in the startup-sequence to your hard drive installation depending on the extra ROM modules added.

Amiga OS 3.9 ROM Specifics
This was the interesting part.

If you have built into the 1MB ROM all of the modules from the ROM Update file, then you no longer need SetPatch to reboot the computer to install those ROM Updates.

Modify the SetPatch command in the startup-sequence to load no ROM Updates and not reboot by adding the NOROMUPDATE parameter:
Code:
c:SetPatch NOROMUPDATE QUIET
This assumes you do not have any other commands earlier in the startup-sequence which are depending on SetPatch to reboot the computer.

Note that it is not necessary to have the newer icon.library and workbench.library in ROM as the 3.9 SetPatch will remove those modules from the ROM, resulting in those in the LIBS: directory in the 3.9 installation being used instead. I recommend to keep the 3.1 versions in ROM so that boot floppies can still use them to load workbench.

Poseidon [untested by myself]
You could also include Poseidon for USB at boot on a real Amiga with the following modules from the Poseidon package (which class files depends on what you want):

input.device
subwayusb.device (or corresponding device for your hardware)
poseidon.library
massstorage.class
hub.class
hid.class
PsdStackLoader

Note that PsdStackLoader would need to be changed every time you change your USB configuration using Trident.
Attached Files
File Type: txt KSA1200v39BB2scsi1MBS.txt (1.9 KB, 640 views)
File Type: txt KSA1200v39BB2scsi1MBE.txt (297 Bytes, 540 views)

Last edited by Calgor; 08 June 2009 at 07:58.
Old 07 June 2009, 23:19   #2
hit

thanks for posting this. but you forgot your example project files for remus:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=379
Old 08 June 2009, 07:58   #3
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

Quote:
Originally Posted by hit View Post
thanks for posting this. but you forgot your example project files for remus:
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=379
Thanks hit, now added.
Old 08 June 2009, 16:06   #4
orange

is this thing compatible with OS4.0?

would it be possible to fit OS4 kickstart there?
Old 08 June 2009, 16:28   #5
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

I honestly don't know. There is not much doco on how OS4 boots up. If you look at your OS4 installation startup-sequence it might give some clues. If you PM Doobrey he might be able to answer for you if his program would be able to build such modules - but at very least I don't think ROMsplit has a config for splitting the OS4 ROM code (in whatever format that is by default).

Or maybe you can ask if anyone on aw.net has used KickFlashOS4 device to install OS4 ROM modules (that was what it was originally intended for anyway).
Old 09 June 2009, 03:37   #6
Kristian95
A4000T owner :)

Sorry if this is a dumb question... you mention it works for A1200.... I take it this means it does not work for an A4000T (or A4000D for that matter) ???
Old 09 June 2009, 07:31   #7
Jope
-

It won't work in an A4000 without adding address decoding logic for the upper 512kB..
Old 09 June 2009, 15:59   #8
hit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
It won't work in an A4000 without adding address decoding logic for the upper 512kB..
the Remus.guide says this for the matter:
Quote:
the 'Fat Gary' chip in A3000,A4000 and A4000T only generates
the /ROM_OE chip select for the normal 512K ROM \@ $F80000
no clue how to cope with that, but seems to be a problem.

Last edited by hit; 09 June 2009 at 16:05.
Old 09 June 2009, 18:36   #9
talybont

Does that rule out a 1MB ROM in an A4000 in hardware, or software also (BlizKick)?

Old 09 June 2009, 18:56   #10
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
I saw a Doobrey's picture/schematic on Amiga.org showing how to add the logic on the A4000 board (places are ready).

But with that stupid rearrangement they made it's near impossible to find it. I can't see my own pictures!
Old 09 June 2009, 19:19   #11
hit

@rkauer:
maybe this one: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost...&postcount=126
RedskullDC added this: http://www.amiga.org/forums/showpost...&postcount=129

@talybont: no clue, but just try yourself. build one as described above with the content of the a4000 rom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_3543.jpg
Views:	874
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	21727  
Old 09 June 2009, 21:48   #12
talybont

I will try it. I just want to know as much as possible before I start.

Has anyone used BlizKick with an 1MB ROM on an A1200? Any special tricks needed to get it working?

Old 09 June 2009, 22:19   #13
Doobrey
Hamster tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by talybont View Post
Has anyone used BlizKick with an 1MB ROM on an A1200? Any special tricks needed to get it working?
Won't work.
The MapROM logic on Blizzard/Cyberstorm cards is limited to 512K ROMs.
Old 09 June 2009, 22:27   #14
talybont

Good to know, now I won't waste my time. =) Is there any other way of getting a 1MB ROM to work on an A4000? Is there an add-on card that can give me this functionality? The Deneb USB controller perhaps?

Old 09 June 2009, 22:37   #15
Doobrey
Hamster tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
I saw a Doobrey's picture/schematic on Amiga.org showing how to add the logic on the A4000 board (places are ready).

But with that stupid rearrangement they made it's near impossible to find it. I can't see my own pictures!

I wouldn't recommend trying it.

1. The A4000T has solder pads for the PLD, the A4000 doesn't. It'd be floating around under the CPU card, and involves cutting and bending pins on Fat Gary,loads of flying leads to be patched in.

2. The logic for the PLD was only theory, not been tested AFAIK.
(Why didn't C= fit it to the A4000T even though they'd outgrown 512K ROMs?)

Far easier and safer to use a KickFlash or Deneb to load in everything you'd want to put into a 1MB ROM.
Old 09 June 2009, 22:54   #16
Doobrey
Hamster tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by talybont View Post
Good to know, now I won't waste my time. =) Is there any other way of getting a 1MB ROM to work on an A4000? Is there an add-on card that can give me this functionality? The Deneb USB controller perhaps?
Nope, you'll still end up facing the 512K limit of the CPU cards MapROM logic.

The only way would be if someone wrote a module that does the remapping using the MMU.

But if you're already using a Deneb, you can load in a 512K ROM, and have everything else as additional resident modules. Also, with a Deneb you're not limited to 1MB ...assuming you can find enough stuff to fill it!
Old 05 August 2009, 22:34   #17
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobrey View Post
Far easier and safer to use a KickFlash or Deneb to load in everything you'd want to put into a 1MB ROM.
I agree, thats if you have a deneb. The deneb is an awesome piece of kit, use 1 in the A4000T in work. I patched the modules with all the latest patches, and then threw the BB2-2 and updated modules into Deneb. The deneb knew what the files / modules were and made them resident, disabling the old modules.

Now it boots with everything updated on boot.

I would love to get the updated stuff working on my A1200 on boot, . Shame there aint a deneb for A1200.
Old 07 August 2009, 21:57   #18
Doobrey
Hamster tamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I would love to get the updated stuff working on my A1200 on boot, . Shame there aint a deneb for A1200.
Funny you should mention that.
Anthony Hoffman developed a flash based ROM replacement + programmer for the Amiga a year or so ago, I did the software for it.
It's not 'in circuit programmable' like the Deneb, but that was a design choice to keep parts+costs down

We both tried many times to get in contact with AmigaKit last year to see if you would be interested in it (Ant is in NZ, so there's RoHS and WEEE to deal with)

All emails went unanswered.
PMs on various forums went unanswered
Phone calls just got the automated 'sorry, noone is available to take your call' message
I even added a note to my Deneb order last year which got ignored (the note, not the order..Deneb arrived quicker than greased lightning,thanks)

Not even a 'thanks but no thanks'

Old 07 August 2009, 22:02   #19
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Interesting, I will find out what happened.

EDIT:-Apparently he thought he had replied.
Also as I thought the reason we wouldnt be interested is that Amiga Inc would have a fit.

Last edited by FOL; 07 August 2009 at 22:15.
Old 07 August 2009, 22:11   #20
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
I agree, thats if you have a deneb. The deneb is an awesome piece of kit, use 1 in the A4000T in work. I patched the modules with all the latest patches, and then threw the BB2-2 and updated modules into Deneb. The deneb knew what the files / modules were and made them resident, disabling the old modules.

Now it boots with everything updated on boot.

I'll be ordering a Deneb pretty soon They do indeed look/sound awesome Do AmigaKit hold much stock? I'd be looking around chrimbo time

/carry on with normal thread...