English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 December 2007, 15:14   #21
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

95% of the PC games are FPS shooter? You are pretty uninformed in that case, Horace. The best 2D Adventures, Strategy games and RPG's are available for the PC, that's for sure.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:21   #22
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
95% of the PC games are FPS shooter? You are pretty uninformed in that case, Horace. The best 2D Adventures, Strategy games and RPG's are available for the PC, that's for sure.
learn to understand a joke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
You have to excited to acknowledge if game is good and enjoyable?! (same rule like for girls )
i dont understand what this is meant to mean.

my point was that not -everyone- is going to have enjoyed recent games, just becuase you think there are some good ones.

it's called personal taste.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:21   #23
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
learn to understand a joke
Learn to do better posts.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:24   #24
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Learn to do better posts.
learn not to spam-reply your rubbish to my posts please.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:25   #25
Sensi
Unregistered User

Oh no, RN and HH again
Before you start guys : ZX is much better than Atarti or CPC. Bye
Old 17 December 2007, 15:27   #26
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensibleFan View Post
Yes. Because its great music, great movies and great games, doesn't matter when they were made and recorded. And if the games were enjoyable fifteen years ago there is no reason why not to enjoy them now.
But that is not the reason to bash all new good games (for 20 years) until you figure out what you've missed and then in retro-perspective you bash new games and prise ol' classics which today you claim are not enjoyable.

Just think about it. In 20-30 years when you tell your grand children that you played the games with your hands, holding controlls, will they believe you??
Old 17 December 2007, 15:27   #27
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

@SensiFan

hey, i was polite considering.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:28   #28
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Oh no, RN and HH again
Before you start guys : ZX is much better than Atarti or CPC. Bye
But still not so good as C64.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:31   #29
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
learn not to spam-reply your rubbish to my posts please.
Quote:
yes, i can imagine it is difficult for some, especially if you have -never- been particularly excited by those games, whether you tried them then or now. I personally find the classics of those eras -much- thinner in numbers than the earlier eras. I dont particualrlylike FPSs, so that makes 95% of PC and Xbox games completely void to me for example.
Well, this complete paragraph is spam for me. The PC had a lot of great classics in the 90s, just like all other gaming platforms too. You are way too ignorant when it comes to other platforms than the ZX or Amiga.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:35   #30
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
But still not so good as C64.
I think its 50,01:49,99 for C64

EDIT: Horace loves Amiga and ZX and love is blind. Its OK
Old 17 December 2007, 15:39   #31
Anubis
Retro Gamer

C'mon, it is even hard to compare games and systems. Let's say that in 99% C64 wins, giving 1% to bad conversations and programming. That is of course only if we are generous as we are.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:40   #32
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Well, this complete paragraph is spam for me. The PC had a lot of great classics in the 90s, just like all other gaming platforms too. You are way too ignorant when it comes to other platforms than the ZX or Amiga.
did i not -just- begin my larger post with mentions of other systems that i think there are good games from? ones which i did -not- own at the time? ones that were NOT ZX or Amiga?

i dont like most PC games, that's a FACT. just becuase you DO that makes me ignorant does it? learn to get off your high horse and respect other peoples opinions, even if you dont agree with them. It will make things much easier.

or even better, put me on ignore. That would be great.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:43   #33
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
C'mon, it is even hard to compare games and systems. Let's say that in 99% C64 wins, giving 1% to bad conversations and programming. That is of course only if we are generous as we are.
The previous post was my post number 451! I beated Peter Stastny! I am so great

In my opinion ZX was better for gaming between 1984 and 1988.If I am right or not, who cares?
Old 17 December 2007, 15:45   #34
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:

i dont like most PC games, that's a FACT. just becuase you DO that makes me ignorant does it? learn to get off your high horse and respect other peoples opinions, even if you dont agree with them. It will make things much easier.

or even better, put me on ignore. That would be great.
I have no problem to ingnore you, but you post facts that aren't right.

Quote:
I personally find the classics of those eras -much- thinner in numbers than the earlier eras.
How can you judge about games you've never played? The number of 80s and 90s classics for several platforms doesn't differ a lot. But i agree that they released a lot of boring games in the last 7-8 years.

[Ingnore modus is on now:]

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 17 December 2007 at 15:52.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:46   #35
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
If I am right or not, who cares?
some people seem to care a great deal if it doesnt agree with their own opinion.

quite honestly, i dont understand why. its not as if it really matters.

@ R-N - once again you are confusing me posting my opinion or JOKES as me posting what i believe to be fact (i didnt post any rigid 'facts' for you to find fault with) Sadly, this seems to cause most of the disagreements we have.

My entire original post was about showing how nostaliga isnt the key element to -everyones- retrogaming experience, by citing my own (including my tastes) as an example. unfortunatly you read that as "this is what i think, eveyone else is wrong" - which is far more your mantra than mine.

and who says i've never played those PC games? all my friends had PCs for those years, and they would always show me the latest "marvels" - which werent to MY taste.

Last edited by Hungry Horace; 17 December 2007 at 15:52.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:48   #36
P-J

This old argument gets older every time.

It's exactly the same as when people older than us (in their 60s, let's say) complain about how music, movies and kids aren't like they used to be.

Keep believing it if you want, but those of us with open-minds will continue to enjoy old stuff and contemporary stuff.

By the way-- If it wasn't about nostalgia, you wouldn't need to use the real hardware. An emulator would suffice. I'm with Retro-Nerd too. To say you don't like most PC games DOES make you ignorant and closed minded, regardless of why.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:51   #37
Anubis
Retro Gamer

@ Hungry Horace,
I don't have nothing against you having your own opinion, but part of the conversation is to find why is that, and to see different views from our own, if they are justified etc.

I would really like to know why would you bash games that most likely you didn't even try.

@SensibleFan,
what was the last time you emulated speccy?
Old 17 December 2007, 15:58   #38
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
Keep believing it if you want, but those of us with open-minds will continue to enjoy old stuff and contemporary stuff.
this is what baffles me... are you not reading?

i DO play new games, i do like SOME contempory stuff, as i pointed out however, i dont find as MANY good new games as i do old ones (even old ones i am still discovering now)

Quote:
An emulator would suffice.
and for every other system other than Amiga it does, so what's your point?

Quote:
To say you don't like most PC games DOES make you ignorant and closed minded, regardless of why.
so, i can play a game, form an opinion, and that makes me ignorant?

Astounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
I would really like to know why would you bash games that most likely you didn't even try.
i have tried a great many of them (as already stated) and i didnt bash particular games here... just pointed out that in my expeierice those PC games i was shown which were meant to be "great" were pretty boring, or they were just the same as their console counterparts (only console versions had a decent controller)

The Sims. There you go, i suppose that was alright for a bit. Happy now?

edit: remind me to never make a joke at the expense of PC games on this board again.... some of you take it WAY to seriously and like a personal attack... which it so isnt. It's not as if i've ever called any of YOU ignorant for not sharing my opinion , but yet some of you are quick to call others such.
Old 17 December 2007, 16:14   #39
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Yak

Just as I mentioned before, I did not intend to offend you, just to have conversation and to try to understand why you dislike PC games.

One of the reason I moved to PC (even I was forced to do, but even if I stayed in Germany I doubt I would stay on Amiga only for very long) was that most of the software companies I loved from amiga time made now games for PC only (and some consoles, which I didn't have at the time) and that finally floppy swapping was thing from the past.

Don't get me wrong, I love amiga games, but I didn't like to miss likes of master of orion, Settler 2 or Civilization 2. Not to mention Warcraft II and Duke Nukem 3D which soon become my favorite games.

This reminds me of old Amiga-ST discussions and Nintendo-Sega. Even now most of us agree that all of them were really good machines/consoles. (All except rubbery computers. )
Old 17 December 2007, 16:23   #40
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Is still enjoy the 8/16-bit 2D classics and will always attracted by them.

On the other side: I'm glad that i've played such great games like Diablo, Age of Empires II, Thief or Splinter Cell.

Check the 8/16-bit library, there are a lot of crap games too. The today's games are more complex/mature, but i agree that the gaming industry is very repetitive by releasing this sequals of successful games.