English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 12 March 2009, 15:37   #1
pubzombie

Total Chaos 7 pcmcia install?????

Hi guys,
I need some advice regarding Total Chaos 7.
I am running WBLITE from PCMCIA adapter and flash card. I have a registered version of WHDLoad and have downloaded Total Chaos 7 to its own folder. I have a Blizzard iv 030 with 64mb ram and an fpu. when I start Total Chaos the loading screen comes up and music plays.. it tells me FPU is detected and that 1000+ files are being decompiled and this should take 6 mins. the game then locks on this screen!!!
any advice?
cheers guys
Pz
Old 12 March 2009, 16:01   #2
Graham Humphrey

Firstly, how is registered WHDLoad relevant to this... or are you just showing off

I remember having this problem ages ago, the game just seems to get stuck - what happened to me was a requester appeared and you need to get rid of that, but it appears on the Workbench screen so you have to switch back to it (Ctrl+N? Can't remember how you switch between screens off hand).
Old 12 March 2009, 16:04   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Same here on 030/50MHz (no FPU ), but it got stuck at the very end of the installation, after about... dunno... 15 minutes or so, and still didn't work, dammit!
Old 13 March 2009, 00:18   #4
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Firstly, how is registered WHDLoad relevant to this... or are you just showing off

I remember having this problem ages ago, the game just seems to get stuck - what happened to me was a requester appeared and you need to get rid of that, but it appears on the Workbench screen so you have to switch back to it (Ctrl+N? Can't remember how you switch between screens off hand).
ha I thought you need a registered whdload to get some games working
will try closing notification window
cheers
PZ
Old 13 March 2009, 01:02   #5
CongealedWallrs

Total Chaos certainly does load properly and run quite nicely in WinUAE but it does take a long time to load (3-4 mins on my PC).

It should run nicely on the actual hardware. I am quite jealous that you can play it as intended! I havent got the cash together to buy myself a decent kit to play Total Chaos yet

Good luck, hope you crack it! It will be worth it for sure
Old 13 March 2009, 02:09   #6
Calgor
(Amigas && Amigos)++

@CW
You must have a very slow PC or bad WinUAE settings! Mine does not take 3-4 mins to load, maybe 30sec-1minute, and I have JIT turned off. Mind you it takes ages only the first time it is installed. It is slower to load on a real amiga (060), possibly due to slower CPU speed, but it is smoother in the animation and sound once it is actually loaded.

@pubzombie
The first install on my CSPPC 060 SCSI 30MB/sec hard drive took AGES (from my old memory maybe >10 minutes), so I imagine it would take even longer on your setup. Maybe you did not wait long enough? I would leave it for 30 mins just in case. Maybe also check if it is doing anything on your hard drive in the meantime by opening a shell window.

And as Graham said, what does running Total Chaos have to do with WHDLoad? Total Chaos was made later in the Amiga's life with expectation to be compatible with 060 etc.
Old 13 March 2009, 02:34   #7
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
it appears on the Workbench screen so you have to switch back to it (Ctrl+N? Can't remember how you switch between screens off hand).
Left-Amiga + M to switch between screens, Left-Amiga + N to switch straight to Workbench.
Old 13 March 2009, 08:00   #8
Graham Humphrey

Yeah that's the one! Thanks, for the life of me I couldn't seem to remember.

Also I should just add that when I had problems getting it to work, the hard drive wasn't being accessed at all because of the requester that popped up on Workbench. So yes if it appears to be doing something then it is actually working and you just need to be patient
Old 17 May 2009, 14:10   #9
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

@PubZombie

The "6 minutes" time is for a 50Mhz 060. Since you have only a slow old 030 it should take at least 24 minutes to decompress I would think. After that all the audio is decompressed forever and the game will load quickly everafter.

How did you unlha the game?

The menu option to unlha things is bugged in Amikit and ClassicWB and other distros too I think. They never extract the full archive. No game will work if some files are missing.

Did you unzip it on your pc? If you did then the files are braindamaged and can't realistically work.

p.s. I am readying my Orcian Army for you! Prepare to die!
Old 19 May 2009, 12:21   #10
StrategyGamer
Total Chaos AGA is fun!

After thinking about this for a while I have decided that the game was actually working perfectly for you when you killed it.

On a regular Amiga, one knows that it is working because they hear the hard driving moaning and groaning for half an hour while all those files get decrunched.

But your Flash Drive is silent so you hear nothing and then panic that it isn't working as fast as your 2000 Mhz pc.

Remember a 50 Mhz 68030+68882 FPU is 3x slower than a 25 Mhz 040 at decrunching audio. That is why you cannot play .mp3's on an 030.