Old 27 February 2003, 00:00   #1
oldpx

pfs or sfs

I have to decide.
simple

Old 27 February 2003, 00:10   #2
woody57

WOTS IT MEAN PLEASE !

had to vote uh as maybe others will get an explanation of wot SFS - PFS stands for ??????????
Old 27 February 2003, 00:32   #3
oldpx

smart file system
professional file system

they are fast file sytem replacements

PLEASE only vote if you know what you're doing. I'm about to use either on a 20gig'er.

woodshed, you've chosen the right one

Old 27 February 2003, 07:13   #4
Drake1009

I've looked into SFS but not the other one. SFS looked promising but never got around to trying it. So my vote has been cast on UH
Old 27 February 2003, 09:01   #5
Echo

Voted for SFS, only because it's definately better than FFS. I haven't checked out PFS.

Getting some crashes on boot, but that could well be related to something completely different. My hardware is feeling its age, lol.
Old 27 February 2003, 13:21   #6
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
I voted sfs - bet that was a surprise

I used pfs (early V4) for 3 months and got fed up with having a trashed partition every few weeks

the only technical advantage of pfs is the 199 file limit to it's recovery drawer, where sfs only gives you 50 files.

I've been using sfs for 18 months, I've had 1 trashed partition (that was my fault), I'm using it on the following drives:

seagate IDE 12Gb as a single partition
seagate SCSI 4Gb as a single partition (for iso's)
Fujitsu SCSI 18Gb, 6 partitions (3 x 4Gb, 1Gb for sys:, 2 x 2.5Gb)
Fujitsu IDE 10Gb, 4 partitions (1 is 7.5Gb)

The only 'niggle' I had was having to mount the partitions crossing or over the 4 gig limit from dos drivers before OS3.9BB2 came out...
Old 01 March 2003, 14:49   #7
maddog

SFS!

Wasn't PFS renamed to AFS when it went commercial or something like that?

I used PFS on many floppy disks and occasionally lost the disk when a track had a read/write error.

I used SFS on my HD for several years. My only complaints are that there is (was?) no undelete command supporting SFS and Settlers would not save games to the partition
Old 01 March 2003, 15:09   #8
Echo

Hmm, my occasional crash on boot must be related to something else then. I have so much in my startup-sequence it'd be virtually impossible to find the rogue app, if any, which is causing it.

The software failure is 8000 0003 if that provides any usefulness.

It mostly happens soon after I've switched the Amiga on. Couple of warm reboots later, it's stable.
Old 06 March 2003, 02:24   #9
oldpx

SFS won the poll but not my heart

-Booted into 3.1
-Noticed that the 18.5gb partition was shown as 2gb (bad) but percent of the space filled was right (good)
-Started filling the drive with ~170mb files. After reaching the 2gb boundary, filesystem allowed me to continue and reseted the available space to 4gb but this is improper and not good.
-Returned to os3.9, immediateley noticed copying a ~170mb file was impossible, HD light stayed lit for minutes and nothing happened. It did not crash
-I could cancel the copy and then copied some small files >1mb to check the reaction of my os3.1 system
-Booted into os3.1. System refused to detect my partition after files were copied on in under os.39. I assume this might not have happened if I hadn't exceeded 2gb but I WILL exceed that amount and WILL expect to use the HD under 3.1 AND 3.9

I also wasn't able to use file names longer than ~40 characters.

Now I'll test PFS

All my data is backed up so if you have any recommendations on checking a file system's possibilities, I can do them.

Old 06 March 2003, 02:52   #10
oldpx

-Deleted the big files under 3.1
-Booted 3.9 and copied ~3mb of files to the 18.5G partition
-Drive did not display under 3.1

result: sfs+os3.1 combination doesn't display drives that are just _modified_ under 3.9 probably regardless of the size.

Old 06 March 2003, 13:04   #11
Severin

What version of l:smartfilesystem are you using? I have 1.195 (20/05/2002)...

your 40 char limit under 3.1 is probably down to software, alot of older programs can't deal with long filenames, they just don't allocate enough memory to hold the string

I regularly copy entire cd iso's (upto 720Mb) about with no problems

If your booting into 3.1(or anything less than 3.9bb2) you will need a dosdriver to mount any partition on or after the 4 gig limit.

as for the sizes being displayed incorrectly, that is a limitation (bug) in workbench, Dopus MII here reports one of my drives as 1.8G used, 2.8G free, 680.7M total (it's really a 12G partition)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic00.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	4821  
Old 06 March 2003, 13:30   #12
oldpx

Nice screenie. What program do you use to get this info screen?

I couldn't get pass 40 char even on 3.9. Trying to rename one, my workbench screen blinked indicating the name couldn't be any longer.

I'll test PFS today, it I encounted worser problems I'll return to SFS. If things are better or just the same I'll keep my partitions just not to reformat them.

Old 06 March 2003, 14:06   #13
Echo

I don't know what you people do with your Amigas, but I find a 2gb drive plenty for all my utils and favourite hd game installs!

It's probably only 25% full at the moment.

For the video/iso stuff, I leave that to my PC which is far better and faster at handling large files.

p.s. I have the 40 char (if not less) limit also on SFS under WB 3.0. Even when renaming from the standard WB menu, so it's not a case of third party programs getting confused.
Old 07 March 2003, 15:59   #14
Severin

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
Nice screenie. What program do you use to get this info screen?

I couldn't get pass 40 char even on 3.9. Trying to rename one, my workbench screen blinked indicating the name couldn't be any longer.
The screenie is from Directory Opus Magellan II

To get past the 40 char limit use 'wbctrl MNL=100' in your user-startup (wbctrl is on the 3.5/9 cd's), there is also a wbstartup program that does the same, but I can't remember it's name

Quote:
p.s. I have the 40 char (if not less) limit also on SFS under WB 3.0. Even when renaming from the standard WB menu, so it's not a case of third party programs getting confused.
WB3.0 has a limit of 31 chars iirc, sfs might be able to handle 100 char names but workbench can't

Try cli rename command...
Old 07 March 2003, 23:33   #15
Severin

Quote:
Originally posted by Echo
I don't know what you people do with your Amigas, but I find a 2gb drive plenty for all my utils and favourite hd game installs!

It's probably only 25% full at the moment.

For the video/iso stuff, I leave that to my PC which is far better and faster at handling large files.
Well, I don't (WON'T) have a PC, I do everything on my miggie, I have 43,789Mb of harddrive space (18G,13G,10G,4G) 2 IDE and 2 SCSI...

I have 3G of games, 8Gb of mp3's, 2G each for work the gfx, 4G for internet and downloads, 4G for images, 4G for iso's and 1G for system.

I does get rather cluttered, but then not have a PC running winslows, I don't have to do a total format/re-install a couple of times a year. I have never had to re-install an amiga OS due to software problems, only when upgrading (hardrive or OS, and then it's only a copy all from old partition to new one), the only time I've had to was due to terminal harddrive failure