English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 February 2017, 23:44   #1
Retro-mania

Amiga 500 Plus - to buy or not to buy?

Hi there

Can I ask for some advice please?

I have the option of purchasing a very nice mint condition A500+ which is being sold as almost new and hardly used. It's in lovely condition. The thing is, the warranty seals are intact and unbroken which is being used as a plus point. But, my understanding is that the battery on these machines almost always leaks. I have pics of the machine working but is this any guarantee that the battery has not leaked? Is there any way of checking if the battery is still ok without opening up the case? I kind of wanted to keep it as it was to be honest.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance
Retro
Old 14 February 2017, 23:51   #2
emufan

do some tests with the date and setclock commands.
but you will only know for sure, after opening the case.

#1) erm, you want keep it this way if the battery is ok?
*NO WAY* - open the case and remove the barrel battery.
sooner or later it will die and bleed, destroying your amiga.
Old 14 February 2017, 23:58   #3
Daedalus

That battery is about 20 years beyond its rated shelf life. If it's not leaking already, it will soon. Having the seal intact devalues machines like that IMHO, since having a working machine is more important to me than having it factory original but damaged beyond repair on the inside.

The fact that it's working doesn't mean the battery isn't leaking - it just means that if it is leaking, it hasn't damaged any critical traces yet. First to go are usually traces related to the trapdoor expansion slot, so they could already be dead and you just don't know because it hasn't been used. Next to go is usually either the bus logic or the Gary chip, either of which stops the machine from booting. So the first sign you'll get of something being wrong is when you turn it on some day and get nothing but a green or yellow screen, or nothing at all...

If factory original is an important thing for you, find an A500 with its seal intact. There's no internal battery, and provided the trapdoor expansion battery hasn't leaked, it should still be pristine inside.
Old 15 February 2017, 02:42   #4
rare_j
Zone Friend

I bought an A500 Plus over ten years ago that was in near-new condition, seal intact.
The first thing I did was open it up and snip out the battery - which already had green fuzz on one end and a little at the bottom of the leg on the board.
No harm done in this case, but the batteries need to come out of these machines.

I personally would not buy an A500 Plus now without breaking the seal.
Old 15 February 2017, 03:04   #5
ptyerman

I got one off Amibay 3 year ago that was the same with unbroken seals. The first thing I did was open it and snip out the battery, good thing too as it was green on one end and very close to leaking all over the motherboard.
If you get it, remove that battery!
Old 15 February 2017, 03:09   #6
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hardware dies... Its a fact anytime... and vintage is just more prone i guess. Socketd chips can come loose, lose connection etc...

Why should that put people off buying a 20 year old or so machine ?

If u like it,, get it.. Its abut as old as u can get (not rubbing anything in here *pun* )

There is no guarantee that battery won't leak after that long. The A500 was a great machine, and as far as i reckon, the moment something is vintage, it goes into more of a "not that important" to decide model, because when it does break, parts may not always be readily available, and if they are, your choices will be limited to second hand parts stores, or eBay, or some other supplier that will not last with parts for a longer while.

If u think like "I gotta get a newer machine because i'm worried abut parts no being available" them aren't you limiting your purchasing ?

As long as u teat it ok, Amiga 500 Plus could last ages....

I've had a PC lasting 8 or more years currently and has never needed repairs. Falls short of 20 years, but still.. ya, as long as its in mint condition........ I mean any vintage stuff u gotta be careful of...
Old 15 February 2017, 09:12   #7
idrougge

You can still buy new warranty seals if that's what you're looking for.
Old 15 February 2017, 13:24   #8
Toryglen-boy

A500+ is a nice little box, but its just a stripped down A600 without any of the expansion capabilities, and in fat frock. if you wanna chuck a gotek into it, and have a nice little (sorry, i meant HUGE footprint of a) gaming machine, but if you wanted to do anything else with it, you would really be looking at 2 accelerators, an ACA A500+ thingo, and something like an ACA1220 or faster to hang off the arse of it. They are cheap, but cheap for a reason. TBH, nowadays i would only really consider an A1200 and up, eve the A600 is a far more attractive proposition than it once was, but its still ECS, and unless you get a vampire, and install the SAGA drivers etc ....

meh. what do i know.

Old 15 February 2017, 16:00   #9
happymondays

I would go for it, if I were you as the A500+ is the easiest to upgrade to 2 Meg Chip RAM from the A500 series. This is actually what I did before buying an accelerator (bought an 500Plus mobo with a 1 Meg expansion board). It is nice that it still works with seals intact, but you MUST get that battery out of the chassis in no time when you have it.
Old 15 February 2017, 20:17   #10
mattsoft

I'd go for it too. The A500+ is easy to upgrade, quick to 2MB chip, lots of expansion potential. But yeah, first thing you MUST do is open it and remove the battery. It's probably already leaking...
Old 15 February 2017, 23:04   #11
MoreBITS

+1 for buy it and remove the battery.

I'd buy it for sure, I still need a 500+ for my collection
Old 15 February 2017, 23:51   #12
Retro-mania

Thank you all very much for your replies. Really helpful so honestly, thank you!!!

I'm going to go for it! ��

What is the simplest and most effective way of removing the battery without harming the motherboard? Some one mentioned snipping it?

Really helpful guys! Thanks so much!
Old 15 February 2017, 23:52   #13
Retro-mania

Weird, my smiley face appears as two ?? Characters.
Old 16 February 2017, 00:02   #14
mattsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-mania View Post
Thank you all very much for your replies. Really helpful so honestly, thank you!!!

I'm going to go for it! ��

What is the simplest and most effective way of removing the battery without harming the motherboard? Some one mentioned snipping it?

Really helpful guys! Thanks so much!
i haven't done an A500, but have done other boards using soldering iron and braid to remove the solder then pull it off. clean board with isopropyl and call it a day.
Old 16 February 2017, 01:12   #15
Daedalus

Yep, desoldering it is the best way, but if you're careful, you can snip the legs close to the board. There are normally 3 in total, one at one end and two at the corners of the other end.

As for your smileys, that's because you used some sort of Unicode characters instead of the standard colon-bracket type. I'm gonna guess you posted from an iPhone
Old 16 February 2017, 03:46   #16
ptyerman

To save time and effort in stripping out the motherboard just to remove the battery, I just snipped mine out using a pair of wire cutters. There is plenty of room to do this as long as you're careful and use sharp cutters.
Old 16 February 2017, 07:09   #17
demolition
Unregistered User

You can get the battery off easy by simply wiggling it back and forth until the fatigue breaks the legs. But snipping them off using a small wire cutter is also effective.
Old 16 February 2017, 20:27   #18
Retro-mania

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice! Really great!

Oh and yes, I am using an iPhone to post - I guess my smileys won't work then.

I haven't been on here for quite a while. I'd forgotten what an awesome site it is! Really helpful people! Thank you again!
Old 16 February 2017, 21:58   #19
GreenMeanie

When I get my Amigas I think there is always going to be caps or battery leaks and most of the time there is.
Old 14 January 2018, 20:10   #20
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Q: Looking to buy an A500+. If the battery has leaked and badly all over, what is the best way to test for damage, can I run any programs or check mouse functionality or what? The one I am looking at has gunk as far down as the ram expansion port pins (all of them!). Maybe its spread thin enough that it didnt sit on traces long enough to trash them or should I pass on it ??